Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I don't understand how people of moderate income levels can afford all the stupid destination bachelor/bachelorette parties people go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I thought I had read somewhere recently that financial literacy classes do not seem to have any positive effect, and that what does help people is making people better at math.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I have a story for this thread.

A friend of my mine recently got married. He and his wife have been living together for a while now. I am guessing they each make about $150k, $300k a year combined. They live in a condo that cost only a little more than and that was bought a long time ago. They have one car, an Accord they bought used.

They recently got married, and it was pretty pricey, but not a 6 figure sort of deal. They got money for the wedding from both parents.

I found out that all their credit cards are maxed, and that they had to get, like, western union from one of their parents during their honeymoon to cover minimum payments on their credit card bills without overdrawing their bank account.

I am flabbergasted. I can't even comprehend where their money is going.

e: They probably started with a lot (maybe 250-300k?) of student loan debt. But still.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 20, 2014

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Am I crazy or does 20k seem like an INSANELY cheap au-pair? Live-in, practically 24 hour care?
A friend is going through this, and that's around what they go for. Maybe a bit more than that.

They also don't provide 24 hour care (or they shouldn't). I think they basically have agreements where they provide care during business hours, and get nights and weekends free. I think a number take night classes, for instance.

Also, keep in mind that it's 20k+free housing+free food. Maybe transportation too. For, a 20 year old looking for a year in a different country, it's not the worst deal in the world.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Tigntink posted:

Did you explain to her how illegal that is? I have a friend who literally couldn't bank anywhere anymore because she did that when she was young. She's super responsible now but poo poo she did when she was 19 still follows her into her 30s.
In college, I had a buddy who bounced so many checks to food delivery folks that nobody in the college town would deliver to our house.

He is, no jokes, a CFO now.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Barry posted:

Based upon his 401k balance and other remarks, I think he has barely been working for about a year. I'm not sure of exactly what kind of professions pay $160k right out of school (especially nowadays), but you can probably count them on one hand.
Top law firms pay first year associates $160k to start. Probably that.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Edit: oh yeah, precious snowflake also has both a private psychologist and private psychiatrist - I can't even imagine how much that costs. When my cousin doesn't like what the psychologist is saying, he just goes to the psychiatrist instead.

The beauty of wealth!
Uh, what is the alternative to a private psychologist/psychiatrist?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I agree with this guy, but with sour grapes on top. When someone blows my entire student loan debt on something like a wedding photographer or whatever, its 'bad with money' because giving that money to me personally (and really, people like me) would result in much better financial health for a lot more people than dumping money on duplicate wedding photos.

So yeah its 'bad with money' and also 'pisses me off'.
I'm sorry that you can't afford a refrigerator

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I like my Costco Amex. Decent rewards program, costs nothing over the Costco executive membership fee, and the customer service is amazing.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

Also it makes you a better person than all those Visa plebs.
gently caress yeah.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

Wait, how the gently caress is daycare $2100/mo for ONE kid? Is that right?
That is either quite high for a daycare center, or kind of cheap for an in-house nanny.

At least based on Chicago prices.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

We are looking at a house now - the owners originally borrowed about $300k to buy it in 1994. As of the last time they refinanced, they owed $820k. I just don't understand how people live like that - pay a mortgage for 20 years and have basically zero equity to show for it.

(it's me, I'm bad at money for looking at an expensive house)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Even worse than living in the city is living in a suburb near a big city. My wife has coworkers up in New Jersey and their property taxes are 10 times what we spend.

Do property taxes scale progressively or is it a more linear rise as your home value increases? Because if it's linear then that's gotta suck even for low income homeowners.
There is a pretty wide variation in property taxes even from suburb to suburb, assuming Chicago is similar to other places. Chicago proper is at ~1.8%, whereas suburbs range from ~1.2% all the way up to 6 or 7%.

I think property taxes are generally linear.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Of course, the suburbs with 6-7% property taxes have vastly better school systems, which is the point since there is no city tax.
No, that's not the case at all. The suburbs with high rates generally have pretty lovely schools, and the suburbs with the lowest rates generally have the best schools.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Guinness posted:

I'll eventually buy a house, but not until I have 20%+ downpayment and a small war chest for repairs/updates/maintenance. In an area where a modest house will easily run you 500k, it's going to be a few years. But when I do buy, it won't be because I can finally stop "throwing away money on rent" and "invest" in a house, but because I want to own a house and know full well that it is expensive and time-consuming and that I'm okay with that. Until then, the relatively fixed cost and low commitment of renting is awesome and my apartment is great and allows me to save/invest a shitload of money.
Yeah, I am buying (currently renting a house) for a couple reasons:
1) Kids are getting older so we want to establish long term roots in a neighborhood;
2) We have a long checklist of things we want in a house, and we found a house that hits every item on the checklist. I have never seen a rental house hitting even a fraction of those items;
3) We have ~35% of the purchase price saved up to allow for a sizeable down payment, some updates, and a big buffer.

melon cat posted:

A lot of people think that buying a house is "cheaper" than renting because "you're throwing your money away". But the reality is that home ownership is a cost. Not an asset.
In the long run, buying can be cheaper, or it can be more expensive. Depends on a lot of factors. The math is different for owning because there is an asset involved, and one factor to consider is possible appreciation from that asset. Both renting and buying involve "throwing money away," either in the form of rent, or in the form of property taxes, maintenance costs, interest, opportunity cost, and probably some other things I am forgetting.

tentish klown posted:

On the other hand, if you're in a major city like New York or London, extortionate rents and rapidly inflating house prices mean that you're screwed if you don't buy. In the last 7 years my brothers 2-bed flat has gone from being worth £400k to about £700k, and we collect about £25k/year rent from it.
If you could rent a place for ~£2k a month that costs £700k, I am guessing the math would indicate that it makes no sense to buy. That is insane.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 9, 2014

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

There's no such thing as "bonus tax". Paychecks with large bonuses have a higher withholding rate applied because of the rules on calculating withholding, but the tax owed is just your ordinary marginal rate.
The withholding on bonuses could be higher or lower than your normal withholding depending on your salary.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

marchantia posted:

This was also true where I am in Wisconsin. The dealership used market was laughable for the last three model years or so, and as far as private dealers went, there weren't a ton out there and the price difference wasn't big enough to make it worth the uncertain maintenence/driving/accident record, for me anyway.
That sounds pretty typical. I don't really start see decent supplies of used cars until you get to about three years old, presumably because that's when cats start coming off three year leases en masse.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

That is amazing on so many different levels.

I missed that the lot, not the house, cost 1.1 million.

Also lol at 6k cash, jesus.

Also, 2800 a month for childcare, despite working zero and two days a week, respectively. 2800 a month for childcare for 5 kids probably isn't terrible otherwise.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Barry posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. Depending on the area that's probably a jumbo loan as well. Godspeed.
I was kind of surprised how reasonable a jumbo was. We locked a bit ago at 4% even.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Please defer to Ruddha's wisdom on horses if you are considering riding, owning, or being near one
And some other tidbits from that thread:

Aleph Null posted:

My dad had a horse fall in a hole and almost die. They had to use a truck wench to get her out. She was too weak to walk so they tied ropes between two trees to hold her up. It took days of them hand feeding her before she could stand or walk on her own.

Less than a month later, she fell in the same hole and died.

Baronjutter posted:

As someone who grew up with a couple friends into horses and loving dressage I can say that if anything you are being way too easy going on them. Its like their survival strategy is to break their legs or kill them selves at the slightest sign of danger, or a noise, or a change in humidity.

My friends barn had to install a big fence because they were next to a turkey farm and despite the horses seeing these birds every single loving day, any time you'd ride past them most of the horses would briefly flip out and hurt them selves or throw their rider when the turkeys came into view. You could literally ride in a loop for an hour and every single time the horse would "scare" at the turkeys.

Maybe wilder horses are smarter but dressage horses are more fragile and stupid than a baby that just learned to crawl. They will jump onto fences and cut them selves in half, they will get stuck between buildings, they will randomly for no reason at all break their legs. If there is a way to kill or hurt them selves they will find it. And people drop 50k or more on these idiots.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

But this fucker doesn't even have loved ones. Who the gently caress is the paying $550 a month to financially protect?
These things are sold as investment accounts, not life insurance (by assholes like Northwestern Mutual salesman).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

BFC meets AI here-- what's a reasonable non-truck 4x4 vehicle that can do some off-road? My girlfriend got her semi-yearly bonus and would like to buy a new vehicle. Yay tech! We do camping/hiking and she was digging Jeep Wrangler. She talked about leasing one since she didn't think she'd want it more than 3 years, and I gave her enough information on why leasing (especially that vehicle) is bad. So, now she's looking at buying a used one since we'd just beat up the paint job and maybe a bumper. It's her money. She can buy whatever she likes, but I'd at least like to relay some good information if there's some available.
Subaru crosstrek xv.

Or Outback.

Buy a subaru.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

A coworker bought a used Porsche Boxster and had to have a friend drive it home for him since he didn't know how to drive stick. Apparently a Porsche isn't the best learning vehicle either.
Replacing rear main seals is bad with money.

(I didn't think it was too bad of a manual, but I've had nothing but manuals for a long time now)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Taco Box posted:

I thought the boxster was one of the catostrophic IMS failure cars. That alone plus the porsche tax for everything makes those cars scary.
That too.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Renegret posted:

$40,000 glass railing

...$40,000 glass railing

$40,000 glass railing
I am bad with money and had a glass/metal railing installed in our house. But drat does it look sweet.

Not quite $40k.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

A patent attorney who engages in sexual intercourse? Likely story.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Turns out it wasn't a historic low, rates dropped like 2.5% between then and now. Hindsight 20/20 and all but taking a 5/1 ARM in 2005 was pretty GWM
Yeah, the ARMs didn't turn out to be problems, just the total amount.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Is that mac and dennis? I certainly never saw that episode.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

A friend of mine has a brother-in-law whose a school teacher and he's doing the same thing - planning on holding his kid back solely for sports.

There are a lot of stupid teachers.
They call it a "redshirt." I thought it was mostly a Ohio or Texas football thing.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I went to a private school, and there are two types of kids in private schools: the ones who are there because their parents wanted them to have a better education; and those who are on the verge of expulsion or have been expelled from public school and their parents think sending them to private school will magically fix them (hint: it doesn't). It creates a strange social dynamic.
Don't forget the crazy religious schools!
"Professional" pscyhology schools are usually bad with money. Hello, psychology as a field is pretty bad with money. The Seattle one isn't even APA accredited.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

And his bitcoin mining rig, lmao.

Apparently he used to drive a BMW, replaced it with a BWM lease.
An M5 of all things.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Sepherothic posted:

I just finished reading The Big Short.

Great book. Recommend me other financial books, or related. I thirst for BWM.
An Engine Not A Camera
the Neal Barofsky book
Taibbi does angry better than anyone, so Griftopia
Agreed on the when genius failed book
Predator's Ball
Liar's Poker

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

BloodBag posted:

The best part is that it's not only a $50,000 car, it's one with the potential to cost him a solid $15,000 for an engine replacement should the IMS bearing fail catastrophically, a point he covers in that thread. He handwaves it saying that he is used to keeping up with maintenence because he's owned BMWs in the past (notorious maintenance whores). The thing is, you can't replace the IMS bearing without dropping the transmission from the car at the very least. I'm sure he's not up for that kind of work on his own.
Given what he is buying and how much he is spending, he is *probably* buying a post-IMS fix 997.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

I live in Chicago, not Indiana. Pretty sure there's a state tax break here too, but I have some debt repayment and house down payment saving to address first (bad with money).
It's deductible for state tax purposes, up to $20000 in contributions. So, what is our state tax rate now? 5%? So you can save up to $1000 on your state taxes.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leviathan Song posted:

Hometown buffet is mostly in the big coastal cities and Chicago area, we don't have those in Oklahoma.
I have lived in the Chicago area most of my life and don't think I've ever seen a Hometown Buffet.

Just Old Country Buffet.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Who gives a poo poo as long as you're hitting your financial goals.
The BFC "Bad With Money" thread.

e: I just tried to add up food spending, expecting us to be more than 2000/mo (for five of us) because I am rich and give no shits, but I don't think we are anywhere near that.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 20, 2016

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Y'all should just get a full tuition and room/board scholarship to undergrad like I did. I don't understand the problem.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

First potential BWM relationship experience!

The SO is going to buy the parents a house thousands of miles away that they'll then pay rent on. Or, at least I assume it's rent since they pitched it as an investment, but maybe they'll have equity. It just came up yesterday, so this is all relatively new.

Could be worse. The house is in a city with a growing tech industry but is still somewhat affordable. I immediately mentioned buying it in a decent, desirable area and the SO mentioned the right neighborhood where that would be possible. Dad is reliably employed and has a good job, but he really can't afford a house near where the sister and baby live. Mom will be helping the sister and new baby and 4-year-old. Sister's husband is very handy with repairs and is a stand-up dude, so he's in for the property maintenance and handiwork. SO works for [gigantic tech company] in a senior position and rebuffs other gigantic tech companies that try to recruit the SO every few months. Literally turns down offers from Google. So, the money isn't a huge pinch and if the SO lost a job, there would be another job within a week. It probably pushes out our potential to purchase a house by a year or two, but whatever. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

As far as things that seem like a disaster at face value, this might instead be a minor inconvenience with small upside.
They aren't going to pay rent.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Boon posted:

Someone please sanity check and challenge me here. My parent's are not financially savvy and hosed up their retirement a bit and since then I've been advising (my undergrad was in Finance but I became a Naval Officer... and got out and now heading back for an MBA).

The background is thus, after my parents went to an insurance agent (trusted - small town) for advice, who promptly swindled them by having a pension cashed out and placed into a State Farm account with high front-end loads and administrative expenses, I about lost my mind and got directly involved. I have since advised that they seek the advice of a financial specialist, they have done so. After reviewing the offer (Edward Jones), visiting with the agent to answer some of my own questions with my dad, I advised them to continue to seek advice from the agent but only so far as his help in determining what their retirement needs will be and to not sign a goddamn thing past that point. Then we we do the following:

Review what he has to offer (I trust that he will provide a decent breakdown of their expenses and requirements in retirement, as I'm not able to really provide that analysis), and then promptly determine:
- If an annuity will be required, if so how much. We'll pick one up but shop around for it first.
- If not, then we'll invest into a Vanguard retirement portfolio.

I'm outright rejecting any investments through Edward Jones that isn't an annuity (if it's the best offer available) as I place no real value in their availability of advising and advice in something as simple as a retirement fund. Your thoughts?
FYI, I doubt Edward Jones's recommendations will be any better. They put my parents in all front loaded funds. You may want to check out https://www.napfa.org/ to find someone better.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

What blows my mind is how did customers not notice getting charged bullshit fees for accounts they didn't open. Like, "Oh welp there's a fee, guess I should pay it," no questions asked?

That's pretty massive BWM.
It actually sounds like a lot of these incidents didn't result in any fees. I read somewhere that there were like 1.5 million of these unauthorized account openings, but they only brought in about 2.1 million in fees or something like that.

It was just low level people this to meet dumb quotas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Pretty sure the 2.1 million is the number the bank pulled out of their rear end as the amount they agreed to pay rather than the actual findings of any investigation
Dammit Matt Levine.

e: Looks like the numbers were from a Wells Fargo-funded investigation, so yeah, not very trustworthy.

• Locked thread