Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
What the hell kind of interest level are you assuming there? I don't disagree about saving for retirement, but I always kind of roll my eyes at the whole "start saving at 21 instead of 25 and you'll be $250k richer!!!" meme that assumes some ridiculous magical 8% guaranteed investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

VodeAndreas posted:

It's an Australian thing at least, we like using any noun in a diminuitive form.

I can't decide if sunnie is worse than using "brekkie" for breakfast.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

blackmet posted:

generally cut it with house brand cola anyway, so...

Shiner Bock and Coke?? :stare: there's one you don't hear every day

Edit: oh Jesus christ I need to learn how to read :negative:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

JohnGalt posted:

He a company man, meaning he is in charge of a drilling site. Never spent a day in college. I think he is probably closer to 2300 but I'm not exactly sure. The thing is they work 24 hours for 2 weeks straight and are the first to go when things slow down they are usually top of the list to go.

I got to deal with company men daily for about five months in my current role. Their pay generally ranges from $1500-2500 per day. With the current downturn they're either (depending on where they are in the US) getting laid off, or their shifts are getting consolidated so they either work 10 days on/20 off or 7 days on/21 off. You're still pulling crazy money either way, but they have to pay all their own poo poo (no benefits since they're a contractor). And they're generally very stupid, bigoted people with lovely attitudes. The pay is appealing but the lifestyle sucks.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

10 days on/20 days off sounds like an awesome lifestyle to me but I'm weird

True, I meant more while being on-site. But yeah you basically have 240 days a year to do whatever you want.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Radbot posted:

Why are they paid so well if so many people want good paying jobs and they're largely stupid folks (I don't personally know any)?

That time off sounds awesome, it's like a more extreme version of the Kelly schedule that firehouses work.

It's a difficult question to answer. From what I can gather, you typically don't get to a company man position without working your way up through the drilling rig hierarchy (start off as a general rig hand "roughneck", work your way up to derrickman, directional driller, etc). That often takes years, depending on your capabilities and (I assume) work ethic. Keep in mind this whole time you're doing the whole 14 on/14 off, and you have to be flexible enough to be willing to move when a drilling rig stops drilling in a certain area. Some of these guys are moving across the country to do this stuff. Often times the company you're with will assume some of the costs of getting you moved around, but I don't think it's guaranteed. I think to get to the company man point you have to buy into the lifestyle fully and be willing to commit to it until you're in your forties. Not everyone wants to do that.

On top of that, it generally takes a certain kind of person to be a company man. You have to deal with a lot of guys under you who can largely be loud, racist pieces of poo poo. They want to be able to commiserate with and relate to you, so it helps if you're a loud, racist piece of poo poo yourself. I realize I'm making these people seem terrible but I heard some horrible poo poo in my time visiting rig sites, so I think it's a fair assumption to make.

Edit: Another thing to keep in mind is hierarchy plays a role when drilling activity slows down, like it is right now. When the price of oil drops, rigs stop drilling, and the crews on those rigs generally are out of work unless they can find something. For company men, the company they're contracting with (oil companies) will shuffle around the hierarchies based on available work. So if you were a company man when there were 1000 rigs drilling and now there's only 500, and you're one of the newer guys, you'll get knocked down a peg (with the corresponding knock in pay) until drilling picks up again.

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 13, 2015

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Big fan of the comments on that article. Basically just a bunch of people rushing in to pat themselves on the back (which I guess is mostly the point of this thread, too).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I dunno if you ask me this thread is more entertaining when it's full of derails rather than just being a Reddit r/pf reposting station

Absolutely agreed.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

The Mandingo posted:

Advanced tickets of Star Wars on sale now at a nearby AMC theater range from $10 for general admission to $16 for reserved seating in 3D. North DFW suburbs.

Plus I have a rewards card so I get $10 back for every $100 I spend. I buy everyone's tickets and have them pay me back. Good with money!

I do this with pretty much anything I do with a group of friends nowadays. Offer to pay for everyone for simplicity's sake and have them Venmo me the money. Get the credit card rewards points and/or Hotels.com rewards.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Makes me sad that a lot of kids are probably getting PS4s for Christmas that were purchased at Aaron's and they'll be repossessed by like February or something.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Why would you say that out and out hahaha. If you're gonna return it for cash just do it on the DL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm not sure why his family was so upset. They're not losing a son, they're gaining a daughter.

Hahaha

• Locked thread