Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

When it comes to masks, everything just feels gimmicky and situational compared to faster movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I can see the dog thing being cool, and yeah I just mean for beating levels if you're having trouble.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm not an artist but I put together a bunch of posters for shows I'm part of and I rip off so much Hotline Miami art and aesthetics it's ridiculous. Everything about it is just so cool and grimy.

Yeah Driver was crazy as gently caress but he didn't kill any normal people or seem to really Like Hurting People, which is way more than can be said for Jacket.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

got any samples?

Not gonna post any because I'm on my phone and they have identifying info I'd have to edit out and, again, they're really amateur because I just cludge images together and throw in a filter that makes it fit with the rest of the poster, but like I've cut out Jacket from this and desaturated him aside from red highlights for one:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

You ever hear the story about the scorpion and the frog?

Yeah, Hurting People was definitely nature for both Driver and Jacket, but only Jacket started doing it for a thrill as opposed to Driver doing it (returning to it likely, but we don't see why he did before the movie) out of necessity.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly this trailer doesn't really hit the vibe the movie puts out. This, on the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfMLu9EPWY

:q:

I've had this sitting on my "to watch" list for like a month and haven't bothered with it because I thought it'd be a boring PTSD movie, but welp apparently I was wrong.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I haven't watched a lot of the other movies and I wasn't super taken with Hobo With a Shotgun (intentionally campy stuff doesn't land well with me, although I understand the appeal), but You're Next was really good.

Just to mention again in case someone missed it, Hotline Miami was straight up very influenced by the movie Drive, so it's the best starting point.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Ok just watched The Guest. It started out like Drillbit Taylor and only turned into a really insane HLM-like in the last twenty minutes. Good movie.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Only God Forgives should be watched directly after Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ziAWl9AEA
Be warned though: it's slow, strange and there's a good chance you'll only like the (excellent) soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0T1TVKsbs

That trailer makes it look mega badass, so am I being misled or

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

SkyEnzo posted:

HLM is legendary but what I've found I mostly enjoy is listening to its soundtrack while walking the streets more.

That music is just superb.

I've listened to almost nothing but Hotline and similar music in my car for the past two weeks in anticipation. My ringtone is Silver Lights and my alarm clock is Hydrogen. It's really good.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

You can scout ahead to plan and play hit and run (That's what my playstyle was and worked well enough) but you can't take it that slow.

Yeah, I would usually stop and look around at the beginning of a floor, then stop again and look around about halfway through, but aside from that just barrel into everyone. Obviously now I just smash through everything since I've played a bunch, but it was a great strategy when I was starting out.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

RandallODim posted:

I haven't read through them, but the trophies for the PS3 version are out and apparently have some big spoilers, if anyone else wants to: http://www.exophase.com/game/hotline-miami-2-wrong-number-psn/trophies/

Also, having just played through the first again, I feel pretty convinced that Beard is Richter. It fits with Richard's statement that "Someone you know is not who you think he is", which doesn't have anyone else to really apply to in the first game, besides maybe the phone voice, and that feels like stretching. If you take the perspective that everything before Trauma is in Jacket's head, the imagery of Richter killing and replacing Beard could just as much represent Beard 'becoming' Richter, a way of understanding the transformation of Beard/Richter from Jacket's friend to his enemy after he's ambushed by him. Also, though this isn't necessarily proof, they've got the same head sprite, so that at least gives a direct link between the two. It could just be a matter of recycling assets, but I don't think any other face sprites are reused for different characters, so it would seem to make sense. I'm sure this is a pretty common theory, but it really clicked for me on the most recent playthrough.

I really only saw a single spoiler in that list but I guess it could be considered a big one: the return of a character from the first, unless you're reading something into some of the stuff that I'm not. There's a reference to a tie-in or cameo or something to another game, but that's more cute than anything to do with the plot.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Is there anyplace to get this on discount? I tried GMG, but no luck with the voucher on their front page.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

$17

Ughhh, wont buy that till its $2.

What are you wasting money on where you cant squeeze in a mere $17.

alcohol

fakeedit: mostly I just don't want to ever pay full price for anything, even if it's only like a $5 discount

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Just got done with the all-Fans level and I'm really enjoying this. The swan floor was kind of rough because the gimmick takes awhile to get used to, but it's been a bunch of fun otherwise. It's definitely a much harder game, but I'm thinking maybe people have played the first one so much that they've forgotten how many times it took to get used to its play style. This is like that original learning experience, but repeated several times. If that makes any sense.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

I just realized something.

Only one person in the entire game is never seen actually dying: Biker.

With the cold war still going on in the game world and the fact that both Miami and Hawaii are nuked, probably literally nobody survives the end of the game. Like, on earth.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Geight posted:

The only issue I have with the HLM2 variant of that is that sometimes the dude in the front spawns with a shotgun which is wholly unsuited for gunning down the guys that swarm you there. The gif I saw where the first guy had an assault rifle made me jealous that I was not fortunate enough for that. In the HLM1 level the first guy has a silenced pistol, so you space-execute him, grab it and pick off the 4-5 dudes that witness you without alerting the rest of the floor.

This happened to me, too. I still managed it with the shotgun, but the assault rifle looks way cooler because in mine I backed right into the corner and even after emptying the gun had to throw/punch and execute some dudes. Richter definitely had the most solid levels overall.

I seriously can't wait for the level creator, because the map layouts were the only thing in this that I didn't really enjoy as much as the first. In general I liked the story, varying mask mechanics, and music more, but the maps could have been a little better even if they were definitely cooler-looking.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I think the game definitely has some supernatural elements, which for me explains some of the weirder stuff. Like, Richard appears to a bunch of people who don't know each other but still acts in a consistent way. It's an alternate history with really bizarre people in it, so why can't the masks literally be a bunch of evil spirits or something that prey on people prone to violence? I'm not saying it couldn't all be "real," but that's been my take since the first game.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

The whole "there are no choices in video games! You are a slave!" Trope needs to loving die in a real bad way. Oh wow, life is meaningless and pointless. Deep loving thoughts there.

How many other video games do this angle to where you consider it a "trope?" I only get to buy and play a very tight selection of games I really want because I'm poor, so I'm genuinely asking rather than flatly disagreeing with you.

ed: i guess that spec ops game kinda did, but I always thought that it and Hotline were pretty rare in having any kind of message at all, let alone one about video games

ed2: \/that's kinda what I thought, but I figured maybe I was just out of the loop

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 13, 2015

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I didn't enjoy the gameplay in Braid and didn't feel like it really had anything interesting to say, but if you were invested in games being taken seriously in 2008, I'd imagine it was a pretty big deal. Like I imagine it was crazy important to people who make low budget games, I'm just not that guy and don't understand the appeal to anyone else who isn't.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

What enemies straight up can't be killed with guns? I had the inmates dodge my shots a couple times, but it seemed like they'd still eat slugs about half of the time. I'd guess the goons with swords (I think?) are supposed to, but I don't remember whether I ever tried to shoot any.

I kinda like one thing about hard: gun enemies are easier to bait because they see you more quickly.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I just tried the third Jake mask for the first time and it's loving hysterical.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah the only fan I don't have much fun with is Mark.

Do any of the characters seem to be faster than others, aside from Dallas when he's doing goon-fu?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

FYI everyone you aren't actually invinicble to bullets hitting your arms, but you can take one, and I think the fat guy can take two or at least it feels like it.

Yeah, I've gotten winged by bullets, seen blood and everything, and survived with I think every character. I dunno how exactly it works, but bullets aren't always guaranteed kills.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Corey played by Charlie and Tony played by (country) Mac.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I just killed three mosquito hawks with one foot within two seconds of each other in my apartment. No variation bonus, but I feel like I've got a solid B in my bathroom now.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

MONKET posted:

smh using takedowns

Two of them were on opposite walls but yeah, I live in the south and it's the beginning of spring, so I'll have another chance to get an S score in every room literally every single day until November.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

MONKET posted:

I'm going to make an augmented reality Hotline Miami spinoff game, and if you actually hit someone in real life then you get a bonus in Boldness.

this is how dateline specials start

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Speaking of Twitch, now that the Steam version of it is active, it's REALLY loving fun watching your friends play Hotline. I've never understood the appeal of watching other people play games online, but it's great watching people I actually know as opposed to YouTube losers.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Geight posted:

I've been having a ton of fun watching my buddy take the game a few levels at a time while we joke around over mumble, yeah. Actually just been using the Steam streaming thing, which I think has less of a delay.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, the "watch game" or whatever function in Steam. We went back and forth watching each other play Hotline and Nuclear Throne for awhile, it's great

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I love Hotline, but I don't really see where else I'd want the game to go. Publishing a level editor and then dropping the series is really the best move, since aside from badass music curation, more maps is all I really want.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Beat the first two stages tonight mostly with some good luck on who was attracted by gunshots; stage 3 is far too open given that enemies have sight lines BVR. Still, the music means I don't get frustrated.

Really after HLM1's boss with the loving panthers I'm just expecting that for all of HLM2.

Nothing in this game is as bad as the original's boss fight.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I really don't get the complaints about the first game's boss fights. They're not THAT hard.

The biker fight is fine, the mob boss fight is just obnoxious because you have to do every stage of it over if you die. The most gimmicky fight in 2 is the rooftop drugs fight because of the flashing eyes, and you respawn right before it so it's no big deal.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

Dead ahead hard mode. The whole thing.

I guess? I don't take bonus modes into consideration.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, I ended up getting capped by her because I was like "oh she's bluffing, my character will just grab the gun and we'll go back to the car tog- NOPE"

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I listen to this soundtrack in my car now. It's really really unsafe.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Firstborn posted:

The first line of that game says specifically that you're a Caucasian ex-killer. What?

It's a region, it'd mean something different to an eastern European I assume.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah my old Saturn is still rocking a cassette player (which I use a converter thingy in to listen to music off my phone).

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Alignment is a bad and stupid mechanic even in D&D, the place where it would make the most sense.

Death to alignments :rolldice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Doc Friday posted:

Bain must have loved Carl then.

FUCKIN DRILL'S STOPPED

• Locked thread