Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I don't remember much in the way of bugs? Just weapons being thrown into walls at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

TheJoker138 posted:

In the same boat. Because the other guy earlier had a bad camera, I took some shots of the whole thing. Here you guys go:

Holy gently caress that's cool

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I really think Knock Knock does a better job of showing off how loving pissed Jacket is at that point than the actual track in the gamed named Vengeance.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Listening through the soundtrack and looking at the levels they play on, I really do think they picked tracks that really fit the characters throughout the game.

The Writer gets less brutal sounding, but still fast paced, action-y tracks to show he can go crazy and kill like everyone else, but doesnt have to.

Tracks like the one's in the Henchman's level and Casualties highlight how done the characters are with what they've been doing, and how they just want out.

The Detective and Hog Butcher get eerie, sinister, fast paced music, that fit their brutal, growing psychosis.

The Fans' tracks range from slow and simple to fast, hardcore stuff that wouldn't be out of place in the first game, showing that they do become more like their idol as the story goes on.

Jake and Richter get the most "first game-like" tracks because they're just like Jacket, guys that don't know why they kill, but (at least for Jake) get a rush from doing it regardless.

I've just started on the Son's scenes so I'm sure I'll be able to :spergin: about his music later.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Apparently this is a ~bad opinion~ but I really like gun combat just as much as melee in Hotline Miami, I'm the kind of guy that just pick up whatever drops on the floor and rolls with it, I also think its cool when I backpedal around a corner to get ready to mow down like, 4 people coming after me with a SMG, but, like I said, just my thoughts on things.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I don't think Jake and the fat soldier aren't the same guy cause the soldier said he was a teacher in one intro to a soldier level and in one of the comics Jake works in some junkyard.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
There are definitely points as hard as dead ahead (casualties, scene 21 if you have trouble seeing in the dark) but I don't think it gets that much crazier in normal mode.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
It's a little late, but another thing the detective has is that he can preform executions with guns (bashing people with a shotgun, uzi-ing a dude in the face) so you don't drop guns when you knock a dude out with a door or something.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
All the characters drop their weapons when they do the against the wall kick execution I think.

King Vidiot posted:

They still leave you vulnerable like any other execution though and I'm pretty positive they also attract nearby enemies to your location.

I know the shotgun one is silent cause I did it a whole bunch in caught, probably cause that one's just him bashing with the butt of the gun, all the other guns he actually shoots them and that attracts dudes.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
The game was fun for me, the criticisms about the levels being too open are kinda valid, but really only for a couple levels, dead ahead being the biggest, and most obvious example. But other than that I think it sticks to the formula of the original that I really enjoyed.

I finally cleared normal, I know hard mirrors the maps, and makes the enemy layouts tougher, but I think somebody also said it adds new enemy types?

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
It also stands for dallaS :madmax:

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I'm ready for someone to recreate the entire first game with the new characters so I can knock out hundreds of people with the writer and destroy that one window room in hot and heavy with Dallas, the swans, or Mark.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Gonna make Kaizo Hotline Miami with the editor. (its just Dead Ahead, then Dead Ahead Hard Mode in one map)

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I haven't finished the Hawaii missions (that loving powerplant), but is the guy with the scarf in fact Jake? I know the game loves reusing its assets (Alex being a white version of the Henchman's girlfriend) so I couldn't really tell.

Nah, the fat soldier dude has grey eyes, Jake has green ones.

GLAAD trash bags fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 16, 2015

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Jizz Festival posted:

Lol, you're blowing my mind here, guy. All I'm saying is We ♥ Katmari tried more new things than HLM2. It mixed things up more (and was actually fun).

Actually it was an ok game, also you've been getting mad at it for like it's entire release time so far, maybe calm down?

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Songbearer posted:

There needs to be a DLC pack that replaces Jake's snake masks with a set of fedoras instead.

Uh, they're actually trilbies, YOU RUSSIAN rear end in a top hat !
*wildly swings nunchaku, tires out in 10 seconds*

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Now that I think about it, the justification why the killing punch characters can't pick up weapons in the story is pretty silly. The Son makes the most sense, cause he has to use brass knuckles or something, Tony is just SUPER SWOLE and refuses to not show that off, and Jake with his last mask is too honurabru to pick up weapons while using his goon- tang fighting style.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I'm trying to s rank death wish, does somebody have a good combo route for the Corey and Tony floors?

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Soundtrack-wise I really liked Fahkeet, even before I got to the final level, but after seeing the ending I still really like it, but every time I hear it now I think, "man that drug trip was hosed up as hell", kinda get creeped out, then get over it and just keep jammin to it.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Each part is named after parts of a story! Though Climax sort of jumps the gun. :v:

Well Climax ends with both the end of The Fans' and the Son's stories, and they're both the real driving force of the "modern day" story
(Nobody cares about Manny at the end and Evan's story ends like, the first mission of the next act, he gets over his obsession or doesn't)
The rest of the characters are all flashbacks to before the events of the first game and kinda fit the falling action/resolution part of the story by tying up loose ends.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Waffle! posted:

click for big.

I don't care that this is a Drive parody pic, now I want to mod HM2 so that fat dudes go Wakka-wakka when they bust your head open, also so dogs make Animal noises.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

:stare::fh:

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

RatHat posted:

Is the bearded soldier supposed to be the bearded janitor in Hotline Miami 1? It's hard to tell since the artstyle changed a little.

Yeah, he is, it also might be hard to tell your first time through but the fourth soldier in his group, the blonde guy that never talks and you save in the last soldier level is Jacket.
Don't really know how much of a spoiler it is so I tagged it.

GLAAD trash bags fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 17, 2015

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Fuligin posted:

I'm still not sure how the story in Hotline Miami 1 fits together. So Jacket's levels are all "real" until he gets bonked on the head by Biker, and then... what? In a coma he overhears how his girlfriend is offed by Richter? And Beard wasn't actually murdered by Richter, cause he has to move to San Francisco only to get a nuke dropped on him.

I thought it worked like Jacket and Biker beat each other up pretty bad but Biker knocked Jacket out and got away first, making him able to do the rest of his story, and Jacket woke up later and was just misremembering cause he was unconscious at the time and probably came up with "I'm not dead, so I must have killed the other guy, and it was real messed up and violent cause that's just how I am"

But the first game was probably set up to just be confusing in general so who really knows::v:

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Anatharon posted:

Glass bottle in Hard News.

Toothbrush shiv in Release

Glass knife in Release

You can get the taser in Caught, too.

You can technically miss these but it's unlikely:

Hammer in Midnight Animal
Fire ax in Demolition
Katana via Bodyguard

Unrelated: I just noticed via a replay that after he makes his rant, you can check the Colonel's hut prior to one of the soldier's missions (Stronghold I think). He's got a US flag painted with the 50 Blessings logo in what appears to be the panther's blood.

You can see it during his panther mask freakout in the intro to Casualties, but thats it

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Jizz Festival posted:

Hey everyone. Did you know that this game blows harder than a retard with a birthday cake?

There are better gimmicks than making one post a day making GBS threads on a video game, try to experiment a little.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

moths posted:

I asked before, but is the San Francisco bombing from the comics or something? I saw absolutely no reference to it in the game.

Way at the end of the ending to Casualties it time skips to the Soldier, who's living in San Francisco and shows that he, and the rest of the city get nuked

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

Both goons and people who play video games are infamous for their ability to misunderstand anything

But when the 2 overlap is it 2 times as bad or like a double negative and just goes back to normal?

its the first one

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
It's a direct part of the story and you can't miss it unless you purposefully exit to the menu before it though?

E. Beaten by an anime schoolgirl

GLAAD trash bags fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 18, 2015

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

could someone please tell me if i do, in fact, enjoy hurting other people

I can but you need to give me a rooster mask first.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

PresidentBeard posted:

I'd actually say even with the extra information the violence remains pointless. Jacket is killing people because of a very loose connection to past trauma plus the phone calls. These Russians aren't the people who killed his friend, killing them won't change Russia's previous actions or prevent further killings, and these are Russians who chose to move to America anyways not ones who stayed in Russia as supporters of the war.

Username/post topic combo

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Anatharon posted:

I've been trying to figure out all the various songs for things that aren't levels. So far I've figured out:

Untitled (Green Kingdom) - main theme
dust - Level end theme
Blizzard - The Fans' theme
Wandering (Around) aimlessly - Evan's theme
Miss Minnie - The Son's theme
Black Tar - Newgame+/Bar of Broken Heroes theme
She Meditates - Fans outro theme
Rust - The Soldier's theme
Simma Hem - Jake's theme
Hollywood Heights - Pig Butcher's theme
Richard (Life Companions) - Richard's theme
Untitled (Dag Ungene) - Henchman's theme
Interlude - Rising intro cutscene (?)

Any additions/corrections anyone can make would be cool.

Little late on this but Guided Meditation is pretty much Manny's theme, it plays at all of his murder scenes at least, and Java which I really only remember playing in the intro to the first soldier mission

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Moltrey posted:

I wanna know what this game's Crystals and Hydrogen are. Kinda chill songs to drive at night and maybe a bit too fast to. HM2 has The Way Home and the title song and those are amazing, but got a lot of weight to em. Less chill dance beats, more hot murdering beats this time around.

Hotline Theme, or whatever the song that plays on Stronghold is called, is hands down the chillest music to murder people to in the series.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

swamp waste posted:

I loving dont like it and there is so much of it. Somehow there are more guys than it seems like there should be. Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors, unpack themselves from shelves, shimmy through air ducts, yearning to punch me in the face. My bugeyed fuckup hero cant harm them with a machete but can somehow pick out the only empty shotgun from a pile of gore-soaked shotguns. This is someone's fantasy, but not mine. A thug with severely limited powers of object permanence whips around and performs a sick 180 noscope headshot on me through many panes of glass. The background music has looped four times already.

lol

:allears:

E: I think I've just made the best page 100 snipe ever

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

"Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors" is the new "Every morning I wake up and open palm slap a vhs into the slot" :allears:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM MOUSE CLICK A GAME OPEN ON STEAM. ITS HOTLINE MIAMI 2 WRONG NUMBER AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE BEST AND REAL MAIN CHARACTER DALLAS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I PUNCH OFF SOME RUSSIAN HEADS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP AND DIE AND PRESS R TO RESTART. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY KILLED A SHITTON OF RUSSIANS WITH SICK-rear end NUNCHUCK MOVES BUT I CAN, I CAN SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS AND I'VE LEARNED ALL THE EXECUTIONS AND I'VE LEARNED TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING RACIST THINGS AT RUSSIAN PEOPLE IN MY APARTMENT BUILDING.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Ahahahaha

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

EDIT: I've gotten my dad to appreciate more of this soundtrack by comparing it to Miami Vice. Just not stuff like Run. I doubt he'll ever like that. I know I don't. :v:

Just leave him in a subway station full of thugs and blare it through the intercom while he smacks people with a baseball bat, easy!

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I had the opposite problem, went through the intro and it played Quixotic but I restarted and it played The Rumble, guess it's just a weird music bug?

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
If we're talking level editor ideas I want to do some maps with the son and henchman, showing what it was like for the mafia right after jacket murdered literally everyone important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Most of the gun finishers are loud and take a long time, they're still badass to watch though.

• Locked thread