Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Tom Guycot posted:

I recently got my DC5 type-s out of storage and back in working order, remembering that I enjoy driving a car, and I was really excited by the coincidental timing to see the new integra announced, and even considering in the back of my head looking at getting a new car. I'm realizing though its just going to be even beefier, thicker, longer, heavier, than the DC5, and that is already, as I look at it now, at the limit of how big a car I really want to own. I like small cute cars, and its sad to awaken like rip van winkle from over 10 years now of not having a car to see everything is an SUV, and coupes are extinct so a bigger uglier 4 door integra is the "best" thing they can make now.

sigh

Look at the Corolla hatchback/ GR when it comes out.

172 x 71 x 57 rolla vs 172 x 67 x 52 dc5

I’m probably just trying to confirm my own purchase but with 5k on the odometer I’m still really liking my 2021 SE. Does it slap? No. 6.8k redline economy tuned engine.

Transmission feels great (6speed), and handles well enough I seek out roundabouts, just cause.

I suspect the GR will slap and be in an envelope you’d appreciate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
what weight/hp would make a hatch hot?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Rusty posted:

My neighbor has a new Corolla Hatch SE and it's really ugly in my opinion, also the hatch opening is significantly smaller than the GTI and the interior also looks a lot smaller. I'm sure it's fun to drive, but doesn't seem as practical. One thing I love about the GTI is the interior and I kind of doubt Toyota will match it. Also the 2019 GTI had a six year warranty, so no reason to worry about reliability for me specifically. I wonder if you can even buy the new corolla gr when it comes out, so many cars don't even make it to the lot before they are sold these days.

I'm going to test drive one though, I have been looking around at cars recently since mine is worth so much and it has been fun. I drove an RS5 yesterday I can't stop thinking about.

Edit: Also the 2.0 turbo in the GTI is in so many VAG products, it's about as reliable as it gets.

I went with a corolla hb se after test driving everything. Everything you say is pretty true. I think the interior is very nice for a ~20k out the door car, and like the button layout, analog tach/spedo w/ small display a lot. The seats are comfortable.

If I didn't already have a 4runner, I would find the interior space annoyingly restricting. It's a less usable hatch than our 04 Prius way. we got a queen frame in that thing lol. couldn't dream of that in the corolla.

I am pumped on the GR and considering a financial mistake. The chasis if fun to toss around, and that GR drive train would make it real fun.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Rusty posted:

I'll just amend what I said a bit. I don't find it ugly, I am exaggerating a bit, I just don't find it as attractive as the 7.5 Golf. For 20k it's a cool hatch and I think the headlights have a nice look. I like most hatches (and the cool wagons in this thread!) far more than SUVs.

It's all good. Styling wasn't our primary focus. It was a Prius replacement. Between cost to buy, insurance, naturally aspirated, Toyota, mpg etc etc etc it checked off every cheap bastard box I have while still delivering a fun grocery getter. I don't hate its looks but wouldn't have been the first choice for aesthetics.

Dynamically its fun. Even with the super soft oem suspension & all seasons, its super easy to carry momentum. The power band is ~3.5k-6k, so it likes the heavy foot.

By far my biggest complaint is pedal placement. hard to heel toe with my foot. The rev matching is good for fun driving but not awesome on up shifts. My other gripe would the volume button on my steering wheel feels flimsier than just about anything in the whole interior. annoying to interact with it all the time.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

TheBacon posted:

Same bud, same. I hope someone is able to convince BMW to federalize the M3 touring but the fact they arent even selling the standard touring here is pretty dire.

New FoST looks good too. Also Golf R estate!!!

if we're dreaming, Corolla GR Estate :getin:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

too big

making it a Corolla instead of bringing over the Yaris is already a step in the wrong direction

The Yaris is the way, but Toyota’s take on a wrx wagon would be dope as gently caress. I think the wheelbase is only 3 inches longer than the hatch

Yaris 101”
Hb 103”
Estate 106”

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
vote for golf r

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

MunchE posted:

Honda hates me personally and wants me dead and that's why the new Integra doesn't look like this

:hai:
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVNnpWk9IkA

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Details of the corolla gr are out a day early thanks to google ads

300hp
F/r torsen
6 speed
Circuit tuned suspension

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Dr. Lunchables posted:

So that’s all an April fools joke?

https://staging.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/grcorolla/

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Enos Cabell posted:

GR Corolla is definitely hot though, wonder how bad markups are gonna be? Wasn't the Type R hitting $20k+ over msrp in places?

Old Scion dealers can be salary staff and hard cap on msrp. I found a local one a while ago and got put 4th on the list. I let them know I’d take any color/trim level. We will see.

Another local dealer was asking 15k over msrp, lmbo

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Isometric Bacon posted:

After reading the line 6 speed IMT transmission, I had to google what IMT was.

I almost completely lost all interest in the car when it came up with a bunch of articles about clutchless manuals, primarily by Kia/Hyundai for the Indian market.

Thank gently caress this was just an instance of auto manufacturers using the same acronym for different tech. The IMT in the corolla is apparently the same in the Yaris GR - it blips the throttle and rev matches on downshifts for you, which sounds really neat.

My corolla hb has imt, it’s pretty good! Great for people new to manual.

Disclaimer: some rev hang, if the peddle box was set up better for heel toe/ it would be moot.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Even has a real hand brake

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
What’s a ‘13 Sti wagon w/ a rebuilt title worth?

I’m going to kick the tires of one this weekend.

My head cannon is ~8 if everything checks out and plenty of documents to support claim of why rebuild

I suspect I am overly optimistic in both $ and what kind of shape it really is.

I’ve been round the car at autox, so it’s not completely aight unseen. Just never really looked it with intent before.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I just want a Fit with a B16A

I’ll take what he’s having

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

can you just do that? the factory differential has a whole control panel that lets you set bias and whatnot

Bias is set with clutch pack (like audi ttrs system)

Yaris dudes have been adding in only rear lsd with good results

I believe the non PP corolla do use brakes for an e-lsd effect like the focus rs (I could be hella wrong on this)

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

fair enough

my point is that the central selling point of the car is gone and it doesn’t appear that there’s a 1-1 replacement in the aftermarket for people who want to go the base model route

There is, you just need to buy 2 lsd and install them.

The $1k price is a steal and should just be standard.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

It’s possible.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I've been driving some more and it's still awesome. A kid in a fist pulled up next to me today and was incredibly stoked to see the GR.

Same, the few people to recognize it have been hyped.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
You nailed it, a couple of turn offs before Taylor’s shellfish.

Whatcom has a lot of nice cruising.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

gvibes posted:

Hmmm, my dealership at which I have a deposit down at msrp is suspiciously listing a GR at 10k over.

That’s hosed. 10 miles on the odometer used?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Red interior?

I thought it is only black cloth for core, and then black pleather for circuit & morizo

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
GR corolla, they rip

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
yeah, they're out there. msrp is very doable. I suspect by the end of year under msrp will be doable.

If no manual, R if you want a hatch, Elantra N if you don't mind a sedan.

for what it's worth, the rev match and light clutch in the gr make it not the worst in traffic

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
The Toyota hill assist is very non intrusive, and I really like it. as soon as you hit the gas pedal there is a moment delay before it gets releases. If you want to roll, just blip the throttle.

The only time I've felt like it's a little annoying is facing downhill since you don't start rolling forward the moment you take you foot off the brake, after a day it is just normal.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

lmbo

in hatch news, taking the gr corolla to its first autox this weekend :getin:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Arcella posted:

Post how it goes, I’m getting my GTI ready for auto cross but won’t go until November because of scheduling

The event was yesterday. Usually this league runs on the Saturday/Sunday but this was a late afternoon affair starting at 3pm and going to 9pm. I really like this organization, because it is not a sanctioned scca solo event. It's a lot more akin to a rec league than a rigid competition. There are some things that make these events unique. For starters it's held at a local track, Evergreen Speedway. Since it is an oval track we use the oval track's transponder system. This is cool, because it creates a situation where the first gate has a really long rolling start and the finish is always a straight onto the outer oval. Another cool thing is that there are only three divisions. FWD, AWD, RWD. So, yeah, it is hard to be competitive, but the lack of tight classes leads to more runs and less rules lawyers. I really enjoy the program they put on there. The dude who runs it is very chill, his staff are chill. The only thing they give a gently caress about is safety and fun. Every drivers meeting he really drives this in by his standard joke, "this is an open track day with competition sprinkled in." A big bonus is because of the fact it's at a track and has staff, as a participant, you don't need to shag cones and get a lot of time to hang out with everyone. It's a cool community.

The general flow is you get 3 sessions with 4 runs per session for a total of 12 runs per event. This dude put out a pretty good video of the track for anyone interested in the event, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Z_G-CPWgs. He's also super fast and takes home the top time often in a bunch of different cars.

I've been going for the last couple of years. My autocross car is a mr2 Spyder that I've souped-up to get somewhat competitive, with 11th overall being my best (4th RWD). Often in the mid teens. 2zz engine, 200tw tires, very stiff springs, and a fair amount of wheel time. RWD is the most stacked division and will often include carts, modern 911, people running hoosier a7, stuff like that.

AWD usually has the least number of competitors but has the current heavy weight dumping on everyone, a Tesla model 3 dual motor running a7. He takes the overall win quite often. Along with the Tesla, you'll see Subarus, Focus RS, TTRS, M240, Evo, etc

FWD will have the a mix of Gti, civics, mini and Hyundai shooting it out. lately, a dude in is $300 95 civic has been eating everyone's lunch. It's cool because he has been chipping at it of a couple of years and now it's all coming together.

Yesterday was a little weird since it was a Friday. The field was thin at ~70 participants, and missing some of the regulars. There was still plenty of competition. The course layout will vary. Sometimes it's slow with barrel obstacles and tight slaloms. Sometimes it's set up fast with more sweepy turns and lines to set up long accelerations. This course was set up fast.

The gr corolla was great. The car is bone stock including the Michelin 4s tires. I've changed out the fluids but that's it. Overall I was putting down 1:18-1:13s when the tip of the spear had there best times in the 1:03/1:04 range. Ended up ~40th overall. The first session out there I ran with cold tire pressure at 30psi all around. Took off all the traction control, had it in sport mode (throttle response & max boost), and 50:50 torque split. I was slow. the car loved to push, I couldn't maintain boost, was modulating the throttle like an NA, and I just couldn't string anything together. This was my first time really trying to drive the car, so I would like to chalk it up to that, but I am also not that good in general.

Second session, I added some more air to my rear tires, 34 psi, and moved the torque split to 30:70. This helped with pushing, but compared to the mr2 on sticky tires it feels like a hog. I got better about getting on the accelerator early to spool the turbo and accommodate for the lag. All of these factors helped me chip the time down from 1:18-1:16 first session times to 1:15-1:14 times.

The last session went similar to the second, but the seat time and cooler track helped me find another second.

The car felt very planted until it go pushy, when the turbo spooled it has the go, the shifter is nice and having a solid AC on the hot day was crucial. Oil temps stayed under 220f, water temps under 190f. To get the car competitive it would take a lot. More tire, more spring, appropriate dampener, better driver to start.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Took delivery of my fat Yaris today.

is it a core with a vented hood or a circuit with a wrapped roof?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
@head bee guy, have you rotated the tires in the 8k?

I've had issues with vibrating above X on a couple of cars that was fixed by fresh tires and an alignment.

At your milage, it could be a tie rod or bushing somewhere. I would start by rotating the tires and seeing if the vibrations feels the same.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
gr corolla dog hauling review , verdict 6/10

https://www.thedrive.com/car-reviews/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-review-will-it-dog

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

trilobite terror posted:

funny how the new Type R/ITS completely memory-holed the GR Corolla

They are moving about the same units

"Still, the Civic Type R lagged behind the Toyota GR Corolla (5,739 units), and just pipped the Volkswagen Golf R (3,238). But, when you add in 1,871 sales of the Acura Integra Type S, a car mechanically almost identical to the Civic Type R, Honda gets a lot closer to the GR Corolla, with 5,216 cars sold. The Civic Si falls just shy of its closest rival, the Volkswagen GTI, with 7,451 sales."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/civic-type-r-sales-represented-just-one-percent-of-civics-sold-in-2023/ar-AA1n8SDq

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

trilobite terror posted:

huh
I guess I just see a lot more promo about the CTR/ITS than the Corolla, but that might be down to which car I’m personally more biased toward

The R/ITS are dope cars. (Elantra N is king there though) I've had a gr for ~a year now. It's a dope car. But yeah, very valid complaints on the car. I like the shitbox interior, but is basic as poo poo for 40k. The rear does need more spring/ it has too much understeer as is. Really, it needs better dampeners too. The clutch pack in the back overheating is pretty lame. The yaris guys have had figured out the workaround a while ago. For autocross, the oem configuration has never overheated on me.

Really, the two best parts of the car are the engine and the brakes. The engine makes you want to rev it out and has a fun amount of lag/build up. the brakes just feel great.

grahm posted:

As far as I can tell, all of these companies sold everything they brought to the US in 2023. I think this year we might start seeing some of these actually sit on lots (anecdotal but I just saw a dealer advertise a new GR Corolla for $1,500 under MSRP in a Facebook group) which will give us an idea of which people desire more.

Yeah, thats a fair assessment. The backlog of morons are gone and we will see how many they really sell. I'm hoping they end up selling at least 20k units in a 6ish year run so the parts are readily available for a while.

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 18, 2024

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
hell yeah

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

DoesNotCompute posted:

I've put 4k km on since I bought the A35, so right on track for 15k miles a year. That said, the first couple months of a fun new car you tend to drive a bit more so it'll probably settle down to about 10-12k km.

The absolute annihilation the value of my A4 took due to mileage has me being more stressed about depreciating this into the ground with high kms.

Are German cars back to 50%+ depreciation as they approach warranty?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is the Civic ST the Sport Touring?

Given what you’ve said, you don’t need a Golf R, a Civic Type R, or a GR Corolla. A Golf GTI is the top end of power that I’d recommend here. Realistically I think a Civic Si is the sweet spot here.

Gti with a tune are no joke

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
fits are cool.

I like he second gen. add a stiff suspension and they are competent & fun to whip around at autox.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Ehud posted:

driving a manual makes me feel like i'm cooler than i really am

:hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Hell yeah