Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Just watching a stream, surprised to see that Iron is revealed with Bronze Working now. I didn't see any of that on the discussion sites. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Alkydere posted:

So started my new game, playing as Arabia to buck the trend and let everyone else try out Venice first.

Good to know the world gen is still capable of spitting out gems like these. I know where my first settler is going.

Okay, you can't post this and not show us how big this city gets. Just imagine if you were playing Netherlands and rolled a spot like that :allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Okimin posted:

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but how do I establish a trade route with another civilization? Land based caravan that is.

First, it looks like you need to build a caravan unit. It should be an option alongside warriors and such. Then you click on the caravan and a menu with destination cities shows up? I don't have my copy of the game yet. (Preordered a physical copy, waiting for it to be delivered. Last time I ever do that)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Exactly how hard is it to make friends in BNW? I imagine a small gift to the AI would be enough to at least boost relations.

Quick edit: Oh yeah, but you can't give lump gold gifts until you're already friends so that's nixed.

Ugh, having to wait until the weekend to get my meatspace copy of the game is really starting to bum me out :sigh:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Looks like Bazookas still have a 1-tile ranged attack like gatling guns and machine guns. Was kinda hoping they would be bumped back up to two tiles in the face of how fast units are moving at the end of the game.

Also! Some modders got a look at the XML code, and here's a handy guide to curating Great Works for fun and profit!

Museum
Museum requirements are picked at random! Try experimenting!

Hermitage
Only holds Great Works
Each Work should be from a different Era
Each Work should be from a different Player
Gives +3 bonus Culture and Tourism if properly curated

Oxford University
Holds Great Works and Artifacts
Each Exhibit should be from a foreign Civ
Gives +2 bonus Culture and Tourism if properly curated

Sistine Chapel
Only holds Great Works
Each Work should be from the same Era
Each Work should be from the same Player

Lourve
Should contain an equal number of Artifacts and Great Works of Art
Each Exhibit should be from a different Era
Each Exhibit should be from a different Player
Gives +4 bonus Culture and Tourism if properly curated

Great Library
Each Exhibit should be from a different Player

Sydney Opera House
Each Exhibit should be from the same Player

Uffizi
Only holds Great Works
Each Work should be from the same Era
Each Work should be from the same Player

Globe Theater
Each Exhibit should be from the same Era

Broadway
Each Exhibit should be from the same Era

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Does anyone have any opinions on the indirect changes to Swordsmen? Iron is now revealed at Bronzeworking and the beaker cost for Ironworking has been reduced from 195 to 175 like the rest of the late-classical techs.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mega Shark posted:

Question: The wife and I started playing last night and like most we started with Venice. Very quickly with some luck from ruins I got two levels deep in Liberty I believe and choose the option to give one free Settler, which for Venice it notes you get a Merchant of Venice. The Merchant of Venice never appeared. Just a bug or some other issue I'm unaware of?

Sounds like a bug. Sorry! Has anyone else tried this?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Rirse posted:

Didn't follow a lot of the news about this new expansion, so I'm seeing the new mechanics as they come up and loving it. But I have to ask, I made a merchant to start a trade route, but only had the option to go with a city state that is south of my country. Can I always cancel that route later on, or that going until the unit does or the country gets conqueror?

Typically trade routes last for 30 turns before you need to renew them, but as far as I've seen you can cancel them at any time.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Monohydrate posted:

Is it worth getting back into Civ 5 with the latest expansion? I poopsocked the hell out of this game after launch but quit playing due to frustration over how broken it was.

It's almost an entirely different game at this point. Most if not all of the technical problems have been fixed, and the game is engaging from beginning to end. Yes, there are still a few irks and quirks left but nothing too major. What were some of your biggest complaints with the launch version of the game?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Monohydrate posted:

Awful AI and the inevitable expansion issues.

Plus, in BNW there's a science penalty per city, so if a computer starts making GBS threads cities on frozen islands they won't be researching many techs

Unless you're referring to diplomacy with the other civs, in which case yes, the computer is still inclined to hate your guts for no good reason.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Monohydrate posted:

I think you guys sold me.

Hey, just a heads up: There's "Brave New World", "Gods and Kings", "Civilization 5 Gold Edition" and "Civilization 5 Gold Upgrade". If you just want the new mechanics, buy Brave New World right now. You'll be missing out on some DLC like scenarios, Civs, and wonders but you get all the mechanics including what was introduced in GnK. If you want the full experience, get the Gold Edition Upgrade when the Steam Summer Sale hits. You should be able to nab GnK and all available DLC except BNW to date for like $5.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 10, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Speedball posted:

Is there a way to steal great works?

Via war? Heck yeah. You're allowed to pull some serious cultural appropriation after sacking a city.

Peacefully? You're better off trying to trade for it. There does need to be a mod ASAP that lets spies steal Great Works if it's not possible already

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

splifyphus posted:

One of my allies on the second continent told me his spies had found out that Pocatello, the juggernaut (again) in this game, was preparing to launch a surprise naval invasion along my northern border. Not even 20 turns later, sure enough.

This game is really solid now.

As awesome as that is, it still makes me wish the player could call the AI on their bullshit in scenarios like this. "I've noticed a large number of your units near my borders. Training exercises, that's what I thought."

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Seriously having your spies set up a heist to steal a piece of art is so obvious it's weird they didnt do it by default.

I guess because the great works themselves don't confer a direct bonus, getting a particular Great Work isn't as much of a priority. Still, it'd be an interesting way to cut a runaway cultural Civ down to size by ruining their curation bonuses.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Protagorean posted:

Or does HE have to research Dynamite? Because if so, that's rear end-backwards.

Bingo. I say we make a petition.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Niwrad posted:

Is this game harder now? I used to whoop the AI on Prince and now they're actually putting up a fight.

Just before BNW launched, there was a preload patch that retooled the AI somewhat. They build slightly smarter armies and are a little more focused on attacking cities with an appropriate number of melee units. Not TOO much more difficult but you still need to be aware of what your neighbors are up to.

Still have a few hilarious bugs though, like Assyria spamming nothing but Siege Towers but overall the AI uses more units more effectively.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I don't know if it's always been like that, but if you start dropping nukes you can wipe out huge armies pretty quickly, so it makes some sense.

For all our overseas friends, here's a copy of the Brave New World Manual and Civilopedia for browsing pleasure:

Manual (PDF)
Civilopedia

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dongattack posted:

Anyone got some settings/tips/mods to make the era's last longer? Aspecially the Modern Era, you get all these new toys, but then you win the game (or lose). I'm trying Marathon now, but i can't see it solving the "wanna play with the best toys" issue in the Modern Era. I realise all mods are broken right now, i can wait till it gets updated.

You can always bump the length up again to Epic speed. Plus you've got like two more eras to play with your new toys after reaching Modern.

*Edit: or yeah turn everything off but score victory to let you play the full 500/1000/2000 whatever turns.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 10, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

As much as we groan about America's UA, it's a really stealthy bonus especially with the new trade routes. Being able to watch more of your trade routes with fewer units frees up production for other things as well as helping fight early barbarians. Plus with gold being extremely tight in the first portion of the game makes the US's ability to buy tiles for cheap that more useful.

Still, if I had a crack at it I'd add the ability to purchase enemy tiles for some diplomatic penalty as well as swapping out the B2 for some appropriate building.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I just had a loving evil idea. What if, as Venice, you used your Merchants of Venice to buy a city state... and then sold it to a civ you want to make friends with? I'm pretty sure a city is enough to empty ANYONE's treasury/income and have them still think they got the better bargain. Plus it would be a great way to dick over anyone trying to go Diplomacy AND probably make more gold than using the Great Merchant's Trade Mission ability.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

uh zip zoom posted:

do the impi retain their spear-chucking ability when upgraded?

I would assume not, considering it's not a promotion.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ManOfTheYear posted:

I played Civ 4 a little but somehow I didn't really "get" it. Why people find these games appealing? What makes them fun? Should I give a chance to Civ 5?

I mainly felt disappointed at Civ 4 because I had just read Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel" and I was really bummed when the game wasn't about realistic civilization building at all. :smith:

As far as what makes Civ fun... It's all about being better. Better than the other civs and better than when you started. The variety comes in choosing what you want to be better at: research, income, warfare, etc. There's a real satisfaction of being able to do something in 2 turns what might have taken 30 turns at the start of the game, or to see your borders. You feel accomplished when a military campaign is executed flawlessly, or realizing that you are fighting off a vastly larger enemy.

Really, it's all the little moments and stories you can tell about the game, like warning people about Ghandi nuking you or Polynesia spreading Eastern Orthodoxy across the globe. If you're looking for a completely accurate historical and sociopolitical simulator pick up Dwarf Fortress when it's done in about twenty years. If you want something a little more comprehensible give Civ V a shot.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fire posted:

A friend of mine who is a fluent portuguese speaker told me Maria I is actually speaking Brazilian portuguese, wonder why they went with that dialect.

My guess would be that they hired Maria's VA the same day as they hired the one for Pedro.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lorini posted:

Dumb question: how do I buy out city states and why would I want to?

If you click on a city-state you'll get a menu with several options. Click on "Give a Gift" and you'll have the ability to give gifts of 250, 500, and 1000 gold. By increasing your influence with city states you receive bonus faith, culture, food, units, and resources depending on what type of city state it is. Additionally, being allied with city states gives you more votes in the World Congress/Diplomatic Victory.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lorini posted:

Hi, thanks. However that's not what I meant, sorry. I see people discussing 'buying out' City States as if the City States no longer exist as independent states but perhaps as puppets. This is what I don't understand how to do, or why to do it?

And as to WHY you'd want to do that, it means you get all the units, building, and resources of that city for free. City States also usually wind up on top of the best city sites on the map, so buying/marrying them is a good way to get solid cities without incurring a diplomatic penalty by conquering them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

My first game as the Shoshone had an rear end in a top hat Gustavus, while my best friends were Catherine, Atilla, and Ghengis.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I've said it before and I'll say it again, probably the most interesting change they could make to America's UA would be the ability to buy tiles from other players. That and swap out the B12 for a unique building or something.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Marketing New Brain posted:

He reminds me of Civ 4 Shaka, the best warmonger hands down, but not good at teching. He's apparently pissed so many people off the developers are going to redesign Germany and Japan, because they simply can't compete. Hopefully America gets something else too, their UA lacks any kind of clear focus or ability to leverage. Then again, it could be worse, they might wind up like France.

Not calling you out, but I'd love to see where you heard this. A lot of people had their fingers crossed up until the release of BNW that these guys would see a change, but outside of Arabia there wasn't the types of adjustments people were hoping for.

Offhand, but has anyone tried Arabia with the new UA? How effective is it?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

RagnarokAngel posted:

That would fit England more I think though. Despite america's modern reputation in the scheme of things they are not the world's biggest colonizers.

True, but America has a recurring history of forward and aggressive settling. From moving past the Appalachians in defiance of England, the Mexican-American War which was triggered by settlers in Texas declaring independance, the Louisiana Purchase, the annexation of Hawaii and Steward's Icebox, the Gold Rush, the list goes on and on. I think Firaxis hit on the right idea, but just giving a discount to purchaseable tiles doesn't SOUND all that impressive on paper

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

UI: Tank-level Tree Mines.
Can be constructed in Forests and Jungles. Deals 50 damage to armored units. Sjbia has millions of trees, and millions of mines.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

You have stumbled upon everything needed for the greatest raw army possible :staredog:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yes, this is a joke by people who don't know how to play the game and animated in a different game but dammit if it didn't get a chuckle out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blSBgxzraTo

EDIT: AKA the Education Rush

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 18, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Started a sea trade route, the ship immediately ran into some barbs inside the fog of war. What a great system. :rolleyes:

It's your own fault for sending out a trade ship without clearing the route first. :colbert:

Seriously, you probably want to build a Caravan first and set up trade with a nearby City State, THEN send a Cargo Ship to trade with a foreign Civ. Barbs will gleefully sack any trade routes you start up until about the mid-late Classical period.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well YEAH, you'll get Barb camps spawning wherever there isn't line of sight whenever it's possible all the way to the end of the game. But you don't see them en masse after the Medieval era. That, and barbarian naval units disappear rather quickly too once you actually start hunting them down.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

That, and the relative profits of trade routes changes from turn to turn. Being able to swap them at any time would probably mean having them run automatically uninterrupted, and for the uninitiated (like me) it would mean missing out on much larger profits over time because I keep forgetting to double check the ledgers. With it running for 30 turns and then stopping for you to reassess your options it lets "casual gamers" compare all the available trade routes in a managable way, and it probably keeps the AI from changing their trade routes every single turn.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gort posted:

To the guy who's pissed about actually needing a navy to run a worldwide trade empire, just run caravans carrying food between your own cities. Much safer, still tons of benefits.

I can definitely vouch for this. I was making more cash in my tallish empire (4 huge core cities, a handful settled/annexed for strategic reasons) from City Connections (roads/harbors) than from Trade Routes anyway. Tangential, but I like to narrate this income as Taxes, and you need roads and harbors to let officials travel between cities.

Granted, with Trade Routes I was rolling in cash, but the point is that you can rely on internal trade routes and still be competitive. I do kinda wish that Caravans had a bonus to internal trade routes while Cargo Ships got a bonus to foreign trade routes to encourage you to build both though.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 18, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jedit posted:

Were you then able to annex it?

There's actually a bug right now where you can annex puppets as Venice if you view the city in Strategic mode.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there an easy way to tell what city a cargo ship/caravan would be most profitable from? I always assume my capital would be it, but sometimes my capital doesn't get Petra.

The quickest way I found to access this menu was clicking the little cycle icon next to the number of trade routes running/available, then clicking the option for "all possible trade routes" and then sorting that list by the amount of gold each trade route generated for me by clicking the little <:10bux: icon

And for anyone interested in the old City Connections, the rule of thumb is that each pop in the destination city generates 1 gold, which means that you should only build roads when the population is greater than the cost of maintaining the roads, or a coastal city with more than 4 citizens.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Rather Dashing posted:

On the subject of maintenance for roads, where can you actually see this? That they cost anything comes as a bit of a shock - the civilopedia doesn't mention it. Do all tile improvements cost gold?

Only roads and Railroads cost any maintenance, and you can see how much the network is costing you by hovering your mouse over the gold icon at the top of the screen and looking at "Tile Improvement Maintenance" Roads/Railroads are usually worth it even when Harbors would be cheaper because of the movement bonuses to units... until you hit Airports I guess?

Varjon posted:

Jesus Actual Christ, thank you so much for dispelling this voodoo black magic.

That's just a rule of thumb! The actual formula is 1.1*(connected city pop) + 0.15*(capital city pop) - 1 minus however much it costs per turn to create that connection. It's for Vanilla, but I assume this guide is still relevant.

EDIT:

President Ark posted:

If you only use roads to connect your cities for the internal trade routes then I think you'll get slightly more from that than you lose on the road maintenance.

Actually, if you're smart about positioning and road connections you can make quite a significant profit this way. Or if you're a real miser, just tear up all your roads and rely on harbors and coastal cities I guess.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

UberJumper posted:

A few questions:

- Should i always build my city next to the coast?
- How can i get the AI to stop settling settlers in the middle of my empire. For example in my current Elizabeth traveled a fair distance just to plop a settler down next to my capital.

I also have Zulu and the Huns directly below me :smith:

1.) Usually, yes. You've got access to doubly effective maritime trade, and the changes to Lighthouses means that any city with a decent number of fish is really, really solid. Usually I don't settle away from the coast unless the balance of resources is particularly noteworthy or I have a specific goal in mind.

2.) Probably the best way to prevent this is to settle your cities a little closer to each other or to go ahead and buy those tiles between your cities. Thankfully in BNW the cultural borders expansion goes a heck of a lot further. I don't think foriegn settlers can pass through military units so having armed borders works too.

• Locked thread