Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Finally, it is time. I'm going to enjoy all the new stuff in BNW, so as soon as my laptop finishes downloading it away I shall go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Hrm. I think I'm approaching the new culture victory wrong, as I haven't been able to keep up with other civs even on King (I stepped down from Emperor because of the new expansion) and there have been runaways to the point I can't catch up. Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I guess I'm going to have to rethink my strategy.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

There's an :xcom: achievement for having your XCOM squad die from full health in a single turn. This game is glorious.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Cythereal posted:

* Not very impressed with Poland. Solidarity, the ducal stable, and winged hussars all seem to fall under the heading of "nice to have, but nothing to build a strategy around."

I disagree. While the hussars fall under "Lol, lancers" the stable is REALLY good if you have any sort of the necessary resources around. And your UA basically reads "Get a free social policy tree" by the time you reach lategame. You aren't getting those policies all at once, but you ARE getting 5-6 more than all the other civs in the game. Having an Oracle effect every time you enter a new era is amazing and I love Poland so much for it.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Just had a crushing Diplomatic Victory as Morocco where I had literally every CS in the game allied with me, the 2 bonus votes from Forbidden Palace, and the bonus votes from World Religion and World Ideology (both of which were forced through by me and my ridiculous number of delegates, as I am ALSO the host and always have been)

I had 48 Delegates. The other civs had 34 put together. The World Congress was my pet to do my bidding.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

thehumandignity posted:

What the gently caress Hiawatha, why did you found a city surrounded by one plain water tile, one mountain, and four snow tiles with absolutely no room for its borders to expand, what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Hiawatha will poo poo cities anywhere there is free space. It doesn't matter if there are no strategic/luxury resources around it or even if it will grow at all, he just wants the entire world covered in cities.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Just got my achievement for winning as Venice. I snowballed out of control after I got the +10 percent growth pantheon, Temple of Artemis, and Hanging Gardens. Mix that setup with a few food trade routes into Venice and I had a 30 pop city by about turn 150. Won a diplo victory after bribing all the city states with copious amounts of gold (I still had some 18,000 gold left in the bank at the end of the game)

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

A Tartan Tory posted:

Opinions goons? Where the hell do I settle? I'm personally leaning towards the west yellow and east blue.

I would go the Easternmost Blue X, the one on the hill closest to Vatican City. The sheer number of horses, incense, and other goodies it comes with (it's Petra compatible as well) are too good to pass up. By my count, it is in eventual range of 4 horses, a silver (a new luxury for you), and 2 Incense. Seems pretty good to me.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Just beat my first Emperor BNW game as Pocatello Freedom Spaceship.

Had a runaway Alexander on the other continent (I was playing Continents) who over the course of the game murdered everyone else on his continent. I get to Satellites and the other continent is just white n blue. Luckily I had enough cash and diplomatic clout myself to embargo him and all city states AND get a standing army tax down on him. He certainly didnt make any friends with his warmongering and I used that to my advantage to lead myself to victory. At the end of it all there were only 3 different civs left (Me, the Inca, and Greece) and we all had different Ideologies before Greece flipped to Order. For his part Pachacuti was a bro for the entire game and I couldn't have done it without buying a few of his votes.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It's 1944 and my Brazilian unique units are helping things along.

I just want to play a game as Persia where a Militaristic City State has Pracinhas. :getin:

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Current Leader Shitlist for BNW:

1. Suleiman

He's only been in one game but in that one game he backstabbed me not once, but TWICE. Both times I had a DoF with him he declared war on me. Needless to say that wasn't a very fun game for anyone involved, for me or him.

2. Genghis

He shits cities everywhere and now he actually seems to conquer City States like he's supposed to. Every game he's been in with me he's had at least two CS conquered by the time I find/get around to killing him.

3. Alexander

Because Goddamnit every time I want to diplo win he's in my game.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Going Mega-Venice has to be the most fun thing I have ever done in this game. Having a 30 pop city at around turn 150-160 at normal speed is ridiculous. The best part is that it actually works extremely well considering all your tech buildings are just that more effective meaning even with a (theoretically) smaller empire than others, you're still rocketing out in front in tech because of your Venetian Geniuses.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Playing another game as Venice with legendary start on, I get 4 wheat and 3 Salt within range of Venice's eventual borders. Of course since I'm going Tradition that means I'm going to gobble up and get those online really quickly. I didn't even need more than one puppet pumping food to Venice to get it to around 25 pop at turn 100. Ah, the joys of Legendary Start.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Kalsco posted:

what the hell it means, though. I've seen nothing in game indicating that roads effect caravans other than with the Iroquois' UA.

Roads extend the length of caravans so you can reach cities that are just out of reach if you build a couple roads towards them.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Speedball posted:

I forgot how deceptively powerful the Iroquois were. An iron-free swordsman and maintenance-free city connections (potentially) with extra production from forests. I'm seriously cleaning house.

Iroquois is one of my favorite Civs. I love having swordsmen that don't require iron. Makes for great rushes!

In other news, had a Byzantium Faithapalooza Culture game go horribly wrong when Monty (who else) came and murdered my outlying cities. It's my own fault though, I focused too hard on wonders early and didn't build much of an army so when he rolled up with his catapults and hundreds of jaguars I was pretty boned.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

I know the game isn't supposed to simulate history, but I feel like if Rome's in a random game, it should have variables that permit it to grow into a bigass power, not some marginal and ignorable European state in its own niche of the world which it usually ends up being in my games at least.

Rome has the best early UUs in the game. They may not have any fancy abilities (How many times have you actually built a road with a Legion?) but they DO have ridiculous amounts of power. In the early game when cities and units have low health and power, Rome can smack things HARD.

Also, Rome's AI is very expansionist and will not hesitate to conquer to expand if need be. He's just not as much of a straight-up rear end in a top hat as Alex (no one is) and you actually have a chance of being friends with him if relations are good.

My pet peeve Civs to face are Shoshone and Japan. Warring with both of them pretty much turns into a slog (though Pocatello is pretty chillax, I've never had him actually DoW me) Japan on the other hand is just a pain in the rear end to fight since Bushido ensures even on "equal" footing his units are always stronger. Add that to the fact he usually builds a massive army with upgrades and I just can't stand him. Also he's a backstabbing jerk who will DoW you no matter how friendly he is.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Speedball posted:

So has anyone tried a military victory as Venice for kicks?

Did it on Emperor for the Autocratic Domination victory same game as I got the achievement for murdering the guy who has Holy City for Venice's religion. (Sorry Askia, but I'm a slave to the cheevos) Was surprisingly easy as I just waited until around the Modern Era to fill up Carriers with Enough Bombers to basically one shot capitals and since most of the cities were on the coast....well it didn't end well for anyone but me. But then I guess you can do that sort of stuff when your treasury is over 100000 gold (no seriously, I was making THAT MUCH MONEY).

When you can buy an upgraded carrier and enough planes to fill it up to 5 every turn for about 5 turns in a row, conquest really becomes a cakewalk.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Daktari posted:

Play as Washington and drop bombs on them for maximal realism.

Or play as Spain and laugh all the way to the bank with your 1000 gold finders bonus and your doubled tile yields.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Just finished a China Conquest game where I finished the game by dropping two Nuclear Missiles on my best bud Sejong and then paratrooping in 5 or 6 XCOM squads.

It was a glorious moment, made all the more beautiful by the glowing fallout clouds.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

I just hope if they're changing the American UA, it'll still be called "Manifest Destiny" and be designed around that. It just seems so right to have the U.S. in the game defined entirely by expanding like dicks and pushing everyone out of its way.

New American UA:

May settle cities closer to other cities than usually allowed. Any tiles that would be in the new city's intial ring that are of a different nation are flipped to America's control. May buy enemy-owned tiles within 3 tiles of one of your cities for double usual price of a tile purchase.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Well, just found out what happens when you don't denounce someone when a friend comes to ask you to do so. If you refuse, you instead get denounced by your friend! Fun.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

GoatLord posted:

Given the talky bits when you start up a game, I've decided that Civ 5 is a game where various world leaders and great people are ripped out of time into a different world and forced to do battle for the amusement of Morgan Shepard.

I like to take it one step further and just have it be a futuristic Earth. Those ruins you find? Ruins of current and future civilizations.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Tulip posted:

You didn't bold the part where they nerfed Siam hard as hell.

To be fair i didn't even know you COULD pillage citadels.

It wasn't so much a nerf as "You shouldn't be able to do that, don't do that".

On the other notes, VERY nice to see that I will now be able to see how many turns my DoF has before I can murder someone.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Also, mongolia on Epic. Rush chivalry, make a dozen keshiks, be sure to get the honor upgrade that increases their XP, and watch as you conquer everything with a mass of what amounts to horse-mounted artillery that can fire twice per turn 3 tiles away without setting up and then move (after upgrades, which will come fast). They're untouchable until somebody gets flight.

I'd like to note that Keshiks are just as ridiculous on any speed. In my current Mongolian game where I was PLANNING on going Autocracy Culture victory for the cheevo has spiraled out of control as I murdered Russia, causing both India and the Iroquois to declare on me. All the better for me as the Keshiks I had just maimed Russia with then proceeded to completely obliterate not only the combined armies of the two, but also captured their capitals with a little help from a brave pikeman.

So yeah, Keshiks are ridiculous especially when they are Marched Logistics'd Keshiks backed up by a Khan.

This is all on Normal speed. My Keshiks have literally run across the continent a few times in this war.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Just had one of those games where you are so good at conquering that the entire world joins up against you to stop your continued march. Turns out brutally decapitating a city-state and 4 Civs will do that to relations.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

How is it that every time I play a warmongering Civ i get put off in some remote corner of the continent and whenever I want to play a peaceful game, I spawn with Attila, Genghis, Monty, and Alex around me?

In my current game I'm Assyria, only I've never gone to war with anyone because I'm seperated from the rest of the continent by a giant desert. Luckily I've made friends with nearly everyone and I'm gunning for a science victory, since why not. Started next to a mountain so I've got the extra science from that.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Snipee posted:

Terracotta army is so broken. I went for an early military victory for the first time on emperor (I prefer culture/science victories), and I think I know how people survive immortal/diety now. Teched straight into a whole bunch of horsemen and crossbowmen after getting my GL, steamrolled one Civ, and then decided to just keep pushing on to control the entire continent before my window of opportunity closed. Once you climbed your way into becoming score leader, it's pretty hard to fall behind. This is especially true since early aggression could stop the AI cold before their bonuses get out of control.

Alternatively, play Mongolia. Pump out Horsemen and Chariot Archers while teching to Chivalry. Upgrade to Keshiks. Make all enemy civilizations into pincushions.

I dunno, the only militaristic civs I can stand playing are the ones with medieval UUs. Maybe Renaissance.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

I had forgotten how good Keshiks were until I recently played a Mongolia game and just went crazy with them. So crazy in fact that the entire world declared war on me after I had wiped out my third Civ in about a hundred turns. They are hands down the best unit in the game and are made even better by the Mongol's other unique UU. And even if you find yourself needing to be on the defensive, their extreme mobility will allow you to pick off key targets and escape without taking any damage.

Just...Keshiks are amazing. that is all.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Guess Germany loses the Panzer in favor of the new bank, which is fine since I don't think I've ever used a Panzer in any game ever. Wish they had just made the conversion rate on the UA 100 percent but I guess that would be a little strong. Meanwhile some tenets that needed love got it, and some that needed to be toned down also got what they deserved.

Super excited to play around with the new pantheons, especially god-king. Seems super strong early game.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Really cool that tourism will have so many cool passive effects now.

It's a good thing that diplomacy victory is harder to achieve, because having 1-turn diplomat integration is huge. Being able to zip around a spy to snatch up votes is going to be super nice for cultural empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

So I mathed it out based on the timer provided in the steam games library and my total playtime for Civ 5 is almost 48 days. One more turn indeed.

• Locked thread