Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

The people are the heroes now, behemoth pulls my horribly slow DSL through the mud.

TIME INITIATED 12:06 AM
TIME REMAINING 1 day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

poo poo, what does it mean when it stops updating at 1% and changes the status to "Suspended?"

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Beamed posted:

Small Continents with a Low Sea Level seems to simulate realistic Continents fairly well, the only downside is there's not as many rivers as I'd like. When will intrepid goons fix Perfect World 3 once again?!

Is it not working with BNW? I don't see why a map script would break from the XP?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Beamed posted:

There have been some issues with it for awhile (invisible mountains, some resources/natural wonders not working properly, etc.)

Those are technically issues with the game, not the script itself. The problem with PW3 is that it puts a lot of land on the map "seam." There's a configuration variable that does a pretty good job of fixing it though, you just have to edit a couple lines in the script.

edit: These are the lines I'm talking about
code:
	--east west attenuation may be desired for flat maps.
	mconst.eastAttenuationFactor = 0.0
	mconst.eastAttenuationRange = 0.0 --percent of the map width.
	mconst.westAttenuationFactor = 0.0
	mconst.westAttenuationRange = 0.0
I'd have to wait until I get home to check the exact values I use, but try experimenting with different values for those. For reference, the North/South settings are factor 0.75 and range 0.15. Since maps are wider than they are tall, and you don't have to worry about ice, smaller values should work for east/west.

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 9, 2013

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Beamed posted:

If that's the case, do you want to be my favorite person in the whole world and upload the fixed script? :unsmith:

I'll post my exact settings when I get home. Comment edited above to tell you want to do though, if you feel like experimenting.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Could also be munged textures, so it wouldn't hurt to verify your game files as well.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

MildManeredManikin posted:

I can confirm that Morocco with Petra is amazing.

Did you get desert folklore?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Nektu posted:

The invisible moutains where fixed by a goon somewhere in the old thread...

I posted a fix in the last thread, but it altered the map so much that it wasn't as fun any more. The fix I posted a couple pages back works ok (there's still going to be some land at the seam, but it won't be in the middle of a big continent or anything), with the only problem being that it does make the landmasses slightly more blobby, but it's not too noticeable.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Is religious texts still broken on marathon? Previously it rounded down to 0 influence bonus until printing press (when it becomes 1).

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Geokinesis posted:

'If you look to your left you can see: The Pyramids of London, The Taj Mahal of London, the Hanging Gardens of London, the Neuschwanstein von London...'

Ah, London, birthplace of the great religion of Islam, whose beliefs magically allow us to create buildings and armies out of fish.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Reveilled posted:

I'm using a different fix I found on the CivFanatics forums. It required me to actually edit the mapscript, but what it does is find the "wettest" column of the map and shift the seam there. I'm not sure if that's what the fix you posted does, but if anyone wants the full mapscript, I stuck it on pastebin.

http://pastebin.com/33ammd5e

Just paste it into PerfectWorld3.lua replacing the entire mapscript.

Nice! I'll give that a shot. Here's my unmodified script with just the config variables tweaked, if anyone wants to try that too:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5264731/PerfectWorld3.lua

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Started my first game as Morocco, and dropped it down to Emporer to get used to things. Managed to get desert folklore and I'm going to beeline for Petra. Since I'll effectively be in easy mode if all works out, I decided to do the unthinkable: Piety tree. Wish me luck.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Speedball posted:

You know, the way things are set up now, I think it's actually more viable to go straight Honor from the start. Hell, even straight Piety! Before it was just a toss-up between Liberty/Tradition. But with the ability to stimulate city growth and production using trade routes...

I'm in the middle of my first game as Morocco, and went straight Piety from the start, because I managed to grab desert folklore. Honestly, it's still pretty lovely as an opening belief. The benefits are pretty marginal compared to tradition or liberty, and since there's no culture boosts, it took me forever to unlock the reformation belief, so by then many of the good ones were taken. Overall I'm pretty far behind; good thing I snagged Petra.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I'm about to try this with Poland...straight Piety, that is. I'm going to play as Morocco or Poland and see just what kind of antics I can get into with the power of RELIGION.

Like I said last page, I don't think it really competes with the other options. The reformation belief is great, but most of the other policies before you get there are sub-par, and since there's no culture benefits, it takes forever to get there. It might work for somebody like France though, if you want to be sure to compete in the religion game, but lost the goody hut and national wonder faith lottery.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

One thing I'm disappointed in is that they still haven't improved the minimap. I mean come on, you can see all the different terrain in the replay map at the end of a game already!

Huh, what's your problem with it? The only complaint I have with the minimap is that it would be nice if it showed borders over water. It already shows mointain ranges, so I don't know what other terrain you'd expect. If it showed ever plains, grassland, etc. tile as a different color, that would be incredibly distracting. You already have strategic mode if you want to see that anyways.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

More often than not, it's a trick. But when it is genuine, it means they dislike you, but your army is way bigger than theirs.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A game or two ago I managed to make Darius "Afraid" of me even though he had a larger military, more and larger cities, and a significant technological advantage. The only thing I can think of is that I'd significantly whupped him in the Classical era and took away all his ports.

It's probable that the status is bugged or something, but in my experience, when you see this status and it doesn't make sense, it's a trick and you're about to get backstabbed.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

uPen posted:

They can but it's extremely rare in Civ5 because they don't get siege equipment. In Civ4 you saw it all the time since barbs founded cities and you could capture a city by just walking into it.

Can they? Is this new in BNW? I've never seen it in a screen shot or anything. Do the cities then pump out barb units like camps do?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I can't recall a single game where a detailed minimap has been distracting including Civ IV. Heck, I'm pretty sure even III had it. It's not a huge deal but on top of looking a lot prettier, being able to see stuff like tundras and deserts at a glance would be a nice thing to have.

It's been a while since I played Civ4, but I'm fairly certain the mini-map was colored based on civ borders, not by terrain. You could only see terrain if it was unclaimed territory.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

You could see both, though obviously the civ colour was a lot clearer. It's hardly a matter worth arguing about, I just find it more visually appealing and informative than V's green and blue.

Looking back at Civ4 screen shots, I see what you mean, although it's so hard to tell what's going on behind the stronger border colors, that it basically just looks like noise. I certainly prefer the cleaner look of the new mini-map. One thing though, is I do really miss borders being shown over water. Stylistically, I can see why they do it (it looks more like a real map), but especially with naval combat the closest to interesting its ever been in a civ game, naval borders can be important from a game play perspective and would be useful to include.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Lorini posted:

After a few turns, I then had a Frigate get lake locked. It was on autoexplore, so I don't know how it got there, but I can't get it out.

It was probably in somebody else's territory, then open borders ended and it got kicked out, and that lake was the closest water tile. Don't worry though, with any luck a Great Admiral will spawn there to keep it company.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

jivjov posted:

Man, I just hit 1977 in my Shoshone game and had this exact thought "Sure with George Lucas was a Great Writer"

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing, last time I watched a Star Wars movie.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

I played Civ 4 a little but somehow I didn't really "get" it. Why people find these games appealing? What makes them fun? Should I give a chance to Civ 5?

I mainly felt disappointed at Civ 4 because I had just read Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel" and I was really bummed when the game wasn't about realistic civilization building at all. :smith:

It's about as accurate a simulation of history as Risk is a simulation of the first World War. It's probably closer to the truth to say that it resembles history.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

You have to go to CivFanatics to get it, but the "Greatest Earth Map" or GEM is the best world map. It trims off the northern bits of the world and scales up interesting places like Europe and Central America, so you end up with a map that has all the important areas in an Earth map, but optimized for gameplay instead of realism.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I dunno. I always thought the Prima Civ II guide wasn't awful for a Civilization strategy guide... But Rome on 640k a Day and Power, Politics and Planning (for SC2K) were (and are) just amazing books and, to me, are still the textbook definitions of what strategy guides should be. But I guess the rise of GameFAQs has changed all that for good or ill.

Rome on 640k wasn't a strategy guide, it was classic literature that happened to be about a video game.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nope, Science rate gets readjusted when losing/trading/razing cities. Culture doesn't, though.

I haven't ever tested this, but I've read that your culture rate does get reset when you build a new city after giving away or razing some.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Heart Attacks posted:

Does the game do anything at turn 250 that isn't... normal? I'm not really sure what I'm getting at. I've got a game going and it seems to be freezing up as soon as I turn over to turn 250; after the first time it happened, I reloaded the last autosave (ten turns back) and again, once I passed over to turn 250, freezing up.

Any thoughts? I'm not playing with any mods enabled or anything.

Could be those top 10 popups. I can never remember what the schedule is specifically, but they happen on the exact same turns every game. I'd try verifying your game files to make sure something didn't get messed up.

It could also just be a random bug, and since the game would likely play out the same way after a reload, it's just happening again.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Pvt.Scott posted:

The problem with that is the other Civs and City States keep clearing my camps!

Yeah, I think leaving camps uncleared only works on lower difficulties. On Immortal, the AI gets such a large army in the early game that barb whack-a-mole is a race. Your best bet is to go honor so you get a notification when a camp spawns, and hope to get there first.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I haven't tried this yet, but just came across it on CF and thought I'd share:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=500839

I know a lot of people complain about InfoAddict giving too much info, but in BNW especially the diplomacy information is essential. The above mod is just the diplo screen (working in BNW) with all the other charts removed!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Varjon posted:

Is this really doable? I can see not building a barracks in every city, but you kind of have to build temples, monuments, libraries, and universities in order to get the national wonders, and then every city should probably have a granary and a water mill if possible. And if you're going to be using gold/research focus, wouldn't it make sense to get a workshop? And unless you've got something else going on you'll need happiness buildings in each city you found...I'm not seeing where the room is to not build stuff

The national wonders frequently aren't worth it in larger wide empires. Granary and water mill aren't desirable if you want to keep a city small. Workshops are really just a building that you build to build other buildings, so that's circular logic (if you don't need many other buildings, you don't need a workshop). Happiness buildings can only provide up to the city's pop, so a small city only needs one or two. So yeah, there's plenty of room not to build stuff if you go wide and have cities that you want to keep small and specialize.

Even for a tall empire where you'd theoretically want to build everything, you'll still frequently need a catapult more than a workshop at any given moment. It's not so much about "is this useful" as "is this the most useful thing I can build right now."

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Might be interesting to have a unique Citadel replacement that claims two tiles out instead of just one.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Periodiko posted:

Shoshone don't get Minutemen or B-17 Bombers, though. In fact, Comanche Raiders are a terrible unique unit. I do think the Shoshone are better overall because Pathfinders are really, really good, and the defense bonus is legit but it's not that cut and dried. On balance, I think the Americans make a much stronger invasion force because of the aforementioned units and the fact that +1 sight is legitimately useful during invasions.

Minutemen are good, and work well with the +1 sight, but B-17s are a complete waste. By the time Bombers are out, you're either just mopping up or won't win anyways.

RagnarokAngel posted:

That would fit England more I think though. Despite america's modern reputation in the scheme of things they are not the world's biggest colonizers.

The suggestion of placing them outside of your territory might fit England more (although if you want to go that route, I'd give England some sort of special puppet status like Venice), but military encampments pushing out your borders is a perfect replay of American history. I say ditch the B-17 and tile purchase discounts, and put in the unique 2-ring citadel.

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 17, 2013

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Looks like Rome is up there, so you might notice a slight speed bump as you roll over them on the way to it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

natetimm posted:

Getting a runaway Egypt on another continent while you've spent the last 1000+ years locking down your own is just stupid. Fucker has like 18 wonders.

Congratulations on the 18 wonders you're about to have!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

UberJumper posted:

What map type do you guys play on. Continents Plus makes some gorgeous maps. But seems to shove every single city state, onto islands.

Fractal seems to work well, but it doesn't offer any customization options.

PerfectWorld3 is my favorite, or GEM if I want an Earth map, but I don't think it's been updated with BNW civs yet.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

sicarius posted:

Any advice on using dual monitors? I'm desperately trying to avoid using windowed mode, but it may be the only way. Half the time in fullscreen it blacks out my second monitor and that's really annoying since I like to keep it open for other stuff. Anyone else run into this and have a solution?

What's wrong with windowed mode? I use it for that reason and it works fine.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

jgamer posted:

I had quite the interesting bug happen in my game. I got to the 'Choose an ideology' menu, chose Order and picked my 2 free tenants. I closed out of the menu, but the button still said 'Choose an ideology'. I just thought the game was being a bit slow, so I was just clicking around impatiently to wait for it to turn into the end turn button. It didn't; instead the ideology selection menu popped up again, and I was listed under Order civs. Out of curiosity, I chose freedom - again it told me to pick my 2 free ideologies which I did. Closed out, button was still telling me to choose an ideology. In the choose ideology menu, I was now listed under both Order and Freedom. I picked autocracy and put in my 2 ideologies there, at which point the button finally changed to end turn. All three seemed to be active; I was getting 50% great people bonus and +happy from my castles.

I've noticed a lot of lag with that button. I think it's basically letting you start your turn before everything is finished processing, which results in some weirdness. I'll frequently click the end turn button, notice it's not doing anything, then 5 seconds later get a prompt to choose a policy or something.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Inspector_71 posted:

Holy poo poo lake systems :swoon:

I think the stock map generator actually handles river geography really well a lot of the time, but actual lakes like in that picture seems awesome.

Now if only it was usable in multiplayer...

Right now, lakes are a pretty big problem because of Great Admiral spawns. I'd prefer a map without them until that's fixed (which I doubt it ever will be).

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Inspector_71 posted:

I still really want buildable canals.

Now that you mention it though, I'm surprised that traveling along a river doesn't impart some kind of movement bonus, especially for civs who are famous for canoeing and whatnot.

In Civ 1 or 2 you had a movement bonus along rivers, similar to roads. It was a neat mechanic and I miss it, but it made sense to take out when they changed them from being an actual tile type to a between tile feature. Navigable rivers would have to be a Civ 6 feature, since they're not really compatible with the current tile system.

The way I'd do it would be to have all water units exist on the vertices between tiles, instead of on tiles themselves. This means water units could live on coasts as well as travel up rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I have a question regarding the earlier AI jerk point calculations: what's the current rules for how your actions affect unmet civilizations? I think previously, warmongering done early on before contacting civs on another continent would still be known, so they'd immediately hate you upon meeting them. In my current game though, I wiped out two civs on my home continent (good to hear I didn't get a genocide penalty though), and while the other remaining civ of course hates me, I just met a new civ on another continent and he's totally neutral.

Does that mean we can do what we want in our home continent and then just reform our ways when everyone hits optics?

• Locked thread