Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
We've been surprisingly busy this entire year. No winter lull and I usually have most of July off, but have been doing so much OT. It's nice to finally have money to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Yeah cuts not very often, although I tend to scrape the back of my hands on loving plastic wrap cutters all the time. Burns though, practically a daily occurrence.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

After one of the busiest years ever so far, it has finally slowed down this month. Whole week off, what do I do with myself :eek:

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Dimloep posted:

And now we do the dance of slow-as-gently caress holiday week. Nine days off. I might go mad.

I figured I was gonna get the whole week off, but got 3 days somehow.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Are you going to be at that party? Because that's pretty cool, and I'm honestly excited to cook for 2000 with a small team.

e: This past weekend was much worse, total of 950 on Saturday, 5 different menus, all parties went out at 7PM. And the Apple party of 320 was being bottlenecked by their people taking forever to hand out drink tickets and nametags. So most people weren't actually hitting the pasta bar and carving stations until 8 to 8:30. Everything was supposed to get pulled at 9 so we could send out the late night snacks at 10, but it was more of a quick flip at 9:30.

I'm honestly considering going back to work in a larger hotel. I went from a 1400 room hotel to a 420 room hotel and these days I'm just bored out of my mind. Half the time I have no hours cause of seniority and the other half I'm working with some incredibly lazy people.

Turkeybone posted:

It's "facebook official," I accepted the gig doing wine analysis in Queens! Now for the "joy" of finding a place to live.

Congrats!

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

I finished work at 4:30am and I'm still up and can't sleep. Pretty much got slammed when all the drunks started coming back after their festivites. Half the time they passed out by the time their food got to their room and our poor room service waiter would have to bang on their door or have front desk call the room if they didn't answer.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

What a cluster gently caress tonight, we somehow ended up 40 short on our stuffed chicken for our plated dinner tonight. First time this has ever happened, embarrassingly bad mistake.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Had our holiday party tonight, us cooks of course had to cater it. Always a good time when you're cooking with a bottle of beer in your hand.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Dimloep posted:

Except where I work. I'm lucky if I get 15 hrs of OT a year, and we keep hiring culinary students who know ~everything~ but can't make a goddamn club sandwich.

I need to get out of this place.

My hotel is pretty lovely too. Some weeks I can't even get 40 hours and other people will get OT, complete bullshit.

If the benefits weren't so goddamn good, I would've left so long ago.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Black August posted:

I hate Marathon Weekend.

That is all.

Seconded. What's worse is the chicago marathon literally runs through my street, so going to and from work is a pain in the rear end.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Just applied to a new place, hopefully I get it. I'm so tired of my current job, 7 years was way too long to stay.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Just put my two weeks in at my current job. Interviwed at a 1200+ room hotel for an overnight gig, should get it and looking forward to it.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Sneiority has its ups and downs, but depending on the people it's generally pretty cool. Working in a union hotel, the benefits far out weigh the negative though. Paid sick/holiday days, vacation time, loving awesome healthcare/dental care/vision care, pension plan, so on and so forth.

I've worked in both non-union and union hotels, and it really depends on the people you work with that makes it good or bad.

I've sat in on contract negotiations before, pretty much just the lawyers and union president talk. They're pretty good in protecting workers. Last contract negotiation, they added stuff like if you work 7 days straight the 7th day is considered double time. So, all in all pretty good for us workers, the lowest position as a cook 5 makes just a little over $17 an hour and a cook 1 makes a little over $18. Here in Chicago we've been without a contract since last sept, but last I heard negotiations were getting close to ending and we were getting a $1 raise a year for the next 3 years or something to that effect.

rayray00 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 7, 2014

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

I work in a hotel. I like it, I get overtime if/when I want it, I always get my 40. We're not unionized, but some of our properties are. I think unions are great, but they can affect kitchens negatively just from a management perspective. Someone calls out, I have to get a temp, I can't just take a bqt cook and stick him on the line, or work the station myself.

For us, you have to find a cook from the property first. And sous's can work the line, only the executive chef can't.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

GigaFool posted:

The Exec can't work the line, even if they want to? I theoretically could hire enough cooks to keep me off the line, but I want to be there, especially on the weekends.

Pretty much if there's work available anywhere banquets or the restaurant(s), an hourly employee has to be scheduled first, or if there's a call off, an hourly employee has to be asked first.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Tomorrow was supposed to be my last day, but after Sunday's bullshit I just didn't show up the rest of the week. gently caress my old job so hard.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Oh god, why would you torture yourself like that?

The stuff of nightmares :suicide:

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I am out now, but I appreciate the $20+/hour jobs that have employee protection and union representation a ton, it's insane how much of the industry prides itself on getting treated like poo poo and barely being paid a living wage.

I've never understood this either. At my old job some of the older cooks told me, it's cool if your check is missing a half hour or an hour here or there, it happens. And I just stood there staring at them like, no it's not ok for that poo poo to happen. Nobody should be cool with working for free, especially in our industry.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Isaac Asimov posted:

Do Hilton hotels drug test? In Colorado?

Initial hiring process a drug test was mandatory when I worked for Hilton and Starwood, never got tested again after. Currently working at a Hyatt and correct, it was just a background check. This was all in Chicago though.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Thoht posted:

So I'm in Seattle and thinking I want to try getting into the hotel side of things and I'd really like to do so in the next couple of months. I'm wondering if you all know if this would be a bad time of year to be trying or if that even matters that much. If I have to I can tough it out through 'til spring where I'm at but I'd rather not.

Pretty much 2 or 3 weeks into december is when things start to slow down, at least here in Chicago, with the exception of new years eve of course. If there are positions available it doesn't hurt to apply. Over the last 10 years I've worked for Hilton, Starwood, and currently Hyatt. Out of the 3 Hyatt is definitely the one I've enjoyed working for the most.

I can't imagine Seattle having too much of a slow season though.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Had 5 days off this week, come back yesterday to find 5 new cameras installed in the kitchen :what:

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

I'd seriously consider it, but I'm looking to move out west towards Seattle if anything :(

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Naelyan posted:

I... I don't even know what to say about this. I have NYE off. I have New Year's Day off. We're completely shut down both days. I mean, I went in today to do office work / inventory / catch up on some baking so I was there like 9 hours, but I was drinking the whole time and even had a nap in the middle so it didn't even feel like work. I... I have plans to go out and meet up with friends before 3am today. This is loving weird.

This is my first NYE and day off as well, in like 4 or 5 years. I will probably still head in when they close at 2am and have drinks with my cooking buddies afterwards lol

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Fiirst superbowl off in like 6 years, laid off for the month of february. Looking forward to sleeping in, going on vacation, and collecting unemployment for a month :dance:

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

I really, really hope you didn't speak too soon on this one. If you worked at some place with TVs and you get a call at 2PM to help them out "just for one shift!" what are you going to say?

I already know for a fact they won't be calling me in :c00lbutt:

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

JawKnee posted:

rats or rebranding?

Union hotel, so seniority.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

That's when I go, "Enjoy your scrambled egg whites!" as I plate it for them.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

A Man and his dog posted:

Also when it comes to chicks in the restaurant: Don't poo poo where you eat if you have it good.

This x1000, I quit my last job cause the hostess I hosed was batshit insane.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

I work in a hotel connected to a convention center and the biggest show of the year comes in this weekend. Will most likely be doing 12+ hour days the next 8-9 days straight, but in all honesty I don't mind cause we'll have temps in to do most of the grunt work and I get to collect some wonderful OT and double pay days :20bux:

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

If you work (anywhere other than kitchen) in a hotel, you HAVE to take a 30min break. God knows my company would force breaks on culinary if an important enough guest didn't like it. Also, we have the choice of a break, and just don't really care for them. Most of my guys would much rather work their 8 and go home than work 4 hours, take a 30min break, and then work another 4.

e: maybe I should've said my hotel brand, but I'd assume most luxury places run the same way.

Yeah, my first and current hotel kitchen jobs let us take our breaks if we want. Personally I'd rather just do the 8 and go too. My last job my sous threatened to write me up if we didn't take our breaks :what:

Just finished day 5 of my 8 day stretch, looking forward to finally getting some decent sleep.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

3 days off this week, plus holiday pay :rock:

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Omlette stations are the worst, at least we get paid for them now.

I remember having to shell(?) like 150 pounds of chestnuts, that was annoying as hell.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Work for hotels people!

Yeah!

Week paid vacation coming at the end of the month :smuggo:

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

I grew up in a family restaurant for 13 years and have been working in hotels for the past 10 years.

I doubt I'd ever go back to working in just a pure restaurant, terrible pay and long hours.

I've worked for hilton, starwood, and currently hyatt. You really can't beat the benefits, and I'm not just talking about having great medical, dental and vision insurance. You get some decent pay, corporate benefits with other companies, paid vacations, paid sick time, super cheap hotel rates when traveling anywhere in the world, and on and on. You hear some pretty crazy stories and meet the occasional celebrity.

Creativity wise you'll be handcuffed somewhat still, but still a lot of variety. Most hotels these days do realize having good food is a pretty big plus now.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Being able to take a week long vacation somewhere and have the plane tickets be the most expensive part is the best. It'd cost me $300bux to stay in New York for a week. The plane tix are 500ea round trip.

Exactly! I'm headed to Toronto in 2 weeks, 2 nights comped and the rest at $79 a night plus 50% off food, can't beat that!

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

First time I had thanksgiving off in like 10 years :D

But now 6 straight 10-12 hours day :sigh:

And then things start to slow wayyyyy down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

I work overnight and I can't tell you how nice it is to have all the prep space I need and all the equipment to myself.

But that's about to end in 2.5 weeks, put in my notice last week and after 11 years, I'm done being a cook for a long while.

• Locked thread