Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You know! Analingus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sw0cb posted:

Counterpoint: You could live in Florida.

Or the mid-west. I think I have to go several states over before I find interesting geology.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I'm also a hermit and haven't actually left the house outside of groceries in a month.

There but for a girlfriend go I.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Flint Ironstag posted:

Just remember, while wearing full leathers, you will only cropdust yourself. At the next stop light, no matter how far away it is.

edit: Hasn't stopped me from trying, though...

I could make a fortune selling leathers with a little perforated rear end patch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Hopefully they only use it for navigation.

And on the topic of navigation, apparently the latest version of Google Maps has a "shake to send feedback" feature, which means any time you go over a bump or a rough patch of road the navigation will stop and pop up a "Would you like to send feedback?" dialog. Fortunately after you dismiss it for the second time it asks if you want to disable the feature.

I've found that it also has the feature where it stops navigating you when you lock the screen, even if you have bluetooth connected.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Linedance posted:

The new Google maps is poo poo all around, I've started trialling Skobbler to see if it's a decent replacement. So far it looks good, but it isn't quite complete yet.

Waze is my go-to at the moment. Top notch all around.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nsaP posted:

Just pass them at the first safe opportunity and go about your day. It's just paint on a road, if you can make a safe pass, do it. I don't get to run my favorite roads every day so when I do get out you can be sure I'm not sitting behind a car 1 second longer than I need to. It's more challenging to find somewhere past on the 250 but still doable with some planning.

Crossing the DY isn't some death sentence. Won't be the first law I break that ride and won't be the last.

Didn't Kozmo almost lose his license for that?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

God dammit I don't know what it is about the street sweepers in this city, but the block my apartment is in must be a street sweeper thoroughfare. It's always wet, and they're polishing the blacktop to a mirror finish.

If the city would outlaw those drat horse-and-buggy tourist traps that move 3mph and poo poo everywhere, they wouldn't need to sweep the streets so goddamn much.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My bikes are named "the drz" "the f11" and "the rv90"

I am a complicated man

"The bike."

For a while, it was "the green bike" and "the grey bike", and then I sold the green bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nsaP posted:

"Having a destination" seems to be an either/or thing for riders too, I've noticed. There's a significant split between people who need somewhere to go and people who just go ride. I think that's probably part of why I don't like riding with others that much.

Whenever I try this, I wind up in a bad part of town stuck in traffic. Sometimes I autopilot to work. It's never as much fun as it seems at first.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Verr posted:

Wish I lived in a place with only powder. I'd throw badass knobby tires on and ride all winter. drat ice fucks up everything.

Run studs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I have perfect vision but I also take shitloads of nootropics. Colors and lights are enhanced dramatically so driving at night is a techno nightmare :lsd:

Off topic, but how do they work for you? I've been thinking of adding 30mg/day Noopept to my diet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Xovaan posted:

They vary for each person, but for me personally they're really (positively) intense and wonderful. But I'm also a late-diagnosed celiac so I was deficient in a lot of the nutrients that are responsible for many effects shared with nootropics that just come from eating a healthy diet (choline, carnitine, inositol, K, A, D, plus many more) but there's no denying the cognitive expansion that occurs with them. The best part is you can quit whenever you want and you're back to normal. :)

Nooptept is great, but if you wanna feel some Limitless poo poo go snag some Pramiracetam and try riding for a few hours. :madmax:

Is that goon who used to sell nootropics still around? I bought something from him probably four years ago, then never used it.

I trust goon-made stuff way more than the amazon results for Noopept for some reason.

e. Literally the third thread in SA-Mart.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

tranten posted:

Going into shooing centers they're not used to

I'm going to choose to read this as "shooting", and imagine middle aged women capping one another over the last copy of Pokemon Whatever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I hate you foreigners and your bizarrely reasonable police forces.

American cops would have given you a courtesy no-knock raid and shot your dog.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

According to UPS, my oil filter sat in Hodgkins, IL for five days before being left at the front door of my high-rise apartment building today. Typically, the front desk signs for packages, but no signatures today, folks! Will it turn up? :iiam:

The oil and battery that I ordered at the same time, same Prime shipping, arrived on Tuesday.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to save that for later.

My oil filter did actually turn up on Saturday. After reading so many horror stories about stripping out the drain plug, finding 15 ft-lbs with my torque wrench took a looong time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Coydog posted:

I prefer to lube my chain with the tears of others who look on in dismay.

Just kidding I lube it as much as I can I'm so terrified of another chain snap oh god. :(

Snapping a chain is really quite rare. I think you just got (un)lucky.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

That reminds me, bring a spare belt for your 1000 mile run. There's enough time to fix a broken belt and still do it in 24 hours. I did an unhurried belt install, breakfast, and 550 miles including a 20 mile backtrack for a jerry can of gas in 11 hours last June.

That's part of the plan. What do you think, pop the new belt on when I get it and keep the 30Kmile belt as a spare, or vice versa?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would reference you to the tagline for the website http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Oh shoot, this is awesome! I was going to be building my own out of one of these, but a fuzeblock is right up my alley!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Software* engineer** here.

*"Soft wear" describes what happens to my middle section from sitting in a chair and typey typing all day.

** Helluva engineer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nsaP posted:

Engineer/IT riders really piss me off.

Sorry about that impotent rage, bro.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Z3n posted:

It's crazy - here you'd have to make a claim just so uninsured motorist insurance would cover the bills.

Glad she's ok and still cool with riding.

Hell, insurance be damned. I'd get a police report so that Granny gets her license taken away before she kills again.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

It IS actually safer to merge onto the highway at actual highway speeds. But I think that the only things most old people know about safety is to have a huge car and just mulishly pudsey about way under the speed limit.

Ask Slavvy about what happens when old people drive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You could always try your hand at slip-n-sliding like I did last week (ride heavy, powerful bikes in the snow errday).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Chichevache posted:

It sounds like you live in the most comically white and passive aggressive neighborhood ever.

The entire Commonwealth?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I've started bunching up my suit so the knee pads are above my knee cap. Being tall on a bike loving sucks and suits not only are either WAY too big or way too small, but when you opt for one that doesn't look like a garbage bag you end up feeling straitjacketed making it impossible to feel mobile and flexible while positioning yourself.

Nobody makes Aerostich-like oversuits for skinny people with stupidly long legs. :(

Helimot needs to start doing this ASAP

I think you can get your 'Stich custom sized, yes?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Loud playing cards in the spokes save lives!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm right here with you. The only thing that prevents me from taking a day off every time the temperature dips above freezing is the knowledge that by the time it's warm enough, traffic will be lovely.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sometimes looking like an enraged cockatiel is part of the allure of riding.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

unless your old bike has a gashole that's incompatible with the vapor recovery fitting, and you have to hold the fitting back manually so it thinks it's plugged in to get the pump to start.

Or you could live in the 49 states that don't require gas pump foreskins.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

tranten posted:

Small price to pay for legal splitting!

I know. :negative:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Christ, the poo poo people want to trade you on craigslist is just :psyboom:

Yesterday I got an offer to trade RC toy trucks for it. Today I got an offer for 20 new in box "humanscale" lamps. I don't know what the gently caress that poo poo is, but sounds like a new-age scam.

Really??

Humanscale is a furniture design firm. You could fill your house with 20 several-hundred-dollar lamps!

When I was selling the Husky, my favorite trade offer was for a big-rear end pickup truck. Yes, my ad lists the bike as being as far in downtown Chicago as you can get. I would LOVE a gigantic pickup truck to drive around and park downtown.

A guy talked to me on Monday and offered $500 less than I was asking. The soonest he could make it out there was Thursday. On Tuesday I met up with another guy, and he handed me $400 less than I was asking in cash. Yep, OK, let's do it. I emailed the $500 less guy to tell him that the bike was sold for more than he was offering, and he got pissed at me because he had already bought an exhaust for the bike. I was apologetic, but seriously, who the hell buys an exhaust for a rare bike when the deal isn't done yet?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

On a different note, motherfuck loving crosswinds. I spent most of today fighting a strong wind out of the south -- at its worst, I was just facing about 30 degrees south and looking at the road with my eyeballs. My neck is killing me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Honestly, when I was 20 and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, I didn't picture being 26 and still living pay to pay, getting financially steamrolled by the slightest setback and just being a massive failure in pretty much every way. My friends have all surpassed me enormously by now and I've basically never felt worse about myself and my situation. I don't know how many more times I can keep bouncing back (which I've been doing continuously for half a decade) before I just run out of energy and peg the speedo off a bridge. I feel like there was a manual on succeeding at life that got handed out around age 17 and I was sick on the day, and everyone around me knows something I don't. I don't have kids, don't smoke, barely ever do drugs, barely drink, don't have any real debt, but I still feel like I'm drowning. Gotta keep getting back up I guess :unsmith:

Dang, buddy. If it makes you feel any better, I'm also 26 and am also in a position where having to replace a car would just about nuke any savings I have.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What is this "savings" you talk about?

Something that isn't motorcycles my fiance started making me put money toward when we started living together / living off of my income while she's in school.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Most individual persons are nice, but get 'em together and they start mooing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You get to a point where 18 is miserable, anything north of 32 is nice, and mid-60s is uncomfortably warm.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

One of those Aprilia 800cc scoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

She does not know who her children are, because, statistically, they are most likely to be murdered by a family member.