Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
All my jackets and sweaters (motorcycle and otherwise) have the slider on the left. My A* Stella (womens) pants have the flap button right-over-left though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't ride at the moment (football injury), but I had a discussion with a person at a party last weekend, where she said (and I quote): "People that ride motorcycles are the most egotistic assholes possible, risking their lives just for fun without thinking of their loved ones."

dictionar.com posted:

like the war crimes being perpetrated literally at the moment you're reading this in the brutal genocide of palestinians by israel and all of the citizens of israel including the poster Adary.

loving hell man. The IP conflict is a shithole, but the attention it is getting on a global plane is absurd.

The deadliest conflict the world has experienced for more than fifty years, a conflict involving troops from nine countries, spanning a battlefield the size of Western Europe, and which has resulted in more than five million dead. The first two years of this war, where some 1.8 million people died, the New York Times published eleven times more articles about Israel-Palestine (2000 deaths during the same time) and CNN 53 times as many. Guess which war I'm talking about (without asking Papa Google)?

The IP conflict is one of the most over-reported conflicts in the world.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll bite.

Sudan? Somalia? Afghanistan?

I wish everyone would just Levant let live.

Akion posted:

I'm gonna have to go with Africa. Seems like there's always some nasty civil war going on there.

MoraleHazard posted:

This is a stumper, and I'm generally good with geo-politics stuff. CNN was reporting on this war so I imagine it was from the 70s onward?

It's the second Congo war together with it's subconflicts, the Ituri and Kivu conflicts, and the ongoing LRA insurgency.

My point is not that the Palestinians should man up because there's someone else that has it a lot worse, it's just very sad when people (out of a genuine belief) try to play off the IP conflict as the deadliest in the world, when the total death toll of the conflict since 1948 is lower than in anyone one month of 1999 in Congo.

As always, no one gives a gently caress about Africa.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Your post makes me think you're either very young, financially retarded, or European.

Shimrods from Aus IIRC. And it's not exactly my fault as "a European" that social policy is lacking in the US. Then again, your much lower taxes because of this really should help in saving for stuff you want, I guess.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Let me tell you about buying my very first bike, with beeeeeautiful original paint, and scratching it the first week on both sides thanks to not noticing my knee braces had exposed aluminium screws on them (I put on the braces outside my pants that day just to test how it felt).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Buy an autobox DRZ, dick. Err, I mean pussy.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Considering I've been told (by both him & her) that a guy got laid thanks to a raid in World of warcraft, I'd say anything is possible.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh, come on.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know you got a Blast?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they've tried to sell that thing here for a while.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Behold! The CF Moto 650NK, having the honour of being the first chinese made large displacement bike to be sold outside of China for a long time. Swedish Bike magazine took it for a spin.

But then again I guess you don't get it over there.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wait wait wait.

Transition... contacts?

Where do I collect my money?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think it was Ola who test rode one and thought it was pretty great?

EDIT: yup.

Ola posted:

Tried a Honda NC700S today. They had the NC700X as well, but it didn't have the auto box which was what I wanted to try. It was a pretty nice ride.

There are a few jerks when the gearbox changes itself which is an unusual sensation when it happens mid-roundabout, but it did not upset anything at all, even the first one. It's quite subtle. On the motorway following traffic and over some hills, it changed between 5th and 6th quite often, lugging 6th to some extent (this would probably go away by switching to Sport), which caused the vibrations (parallel twin lawnmower kind) to change quite often, which was a bit annoying. The quick solution is just to tap it into manual mode and leave it in 5th, worked very well.

Suspension was very nice for a budget model, didn't mind bumps mid corner at all. Storage space in the tank was excellent, fit my helmet just fine.

Without a clutch to modulate, the throttle needs to have good feeling. I found it to be perfect. It's a cable so you feel when you pull it taught and can give just that tiny bit of tension to ease forward when in a queue or something.

Fuel consumption is apparently amazing. Dealer said a guy who bought one for a 60-80 kph commute regularly got 3.3 L/km or 71 US MPG. Low down torque is nice, but the obviously unticked box on this bike is top end power. While you could tour two up on it and do great on the slow twisties of western Norway, long days on the Autobahn would be very different. It's annoying to ride on it I think, because everyone is at different speeds - I might think 130 kph is nice, then I get behind someone doing 110...but to pass them I need to get up to 150 to merge safely into the outer lane. Those constant lane changes and speed changes would just be impractical. You'd have to be content with much fewer lane changes or perhaps just appreciate the incentive and go on the smaller roads. The savings in fuel would be considerable.

Then price. It's cheap, but with the auto box it's not too far from a baseline Tiger 800. Which is a very different beast indeed.

Conclusion: I don't think I'll buy one, but I am fully sold on the dual clutch gearbox.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 14, 2015

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

How about we talk about "fanny" or "box" instead? I think I might name my bike The Fanny Box, the ultimate non-offensive bike name.

Fanny is a girls name, right? It's actually a name that used to be somewhat common in England and Sweden. Well, a swedish woman named Fanny made some 15-minute headlines here when she moved to England and the authorities refused to let her have her birth name on her ID they issued her on account of it "being offensive".

Fanny. For fucks sake.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is this going to be the equivalent of the burnout thing in AI?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just use Swish (silly name) for all transactions to private parties, and my debit card for regular shopping. Not even being hyperbolic when I say I haven't had a coin or banknote on me in over three months. Even used Swish when I bought the El Camino, just swished the guy his money, took the keys and left.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I only ever have both feet on the ground if I'm backing out of a parking space or something, otherwise it's one foot on the ground (always the right, for some reason).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
But you repeat yourself.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My DRZ came with a full Yoshi RS-2 when I bought it. Even with the insert, it was stupid loud.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My 690 was like that. Stalling at a very specific throttle input, right at the transition between idle and low throttle. I increased the fuel at specific points in the map, all over the map, under the map, between the map, nothing helped. Then I put the db-killer into the Akra and never had a problem since?? :confused:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

Wing's has very clearly communicated that "WINGS muffler is designed in the way that with dB-killer mounted there is no need to remap". I didn't have the stock exhaust on long enough to experience any stalls because it melted melted everything. If I'm being completely honest with myself, I think the issue cropped up in the week after I installed the Wings.

Yeah, mine had no problems whatsoever with snatchy throttle, random flameouts and poo poo like that until I got the Evo2 kit installed. Akra also claims the db-killer doesn't matter for the map, which is clearly not true (I know of several cases where the insert has made a big difference, although if in or out is the correct solution varies).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
121 690s for sale in Sweden right now, 31 Enduros and 56 of them Dukes. Including SM, SMR, SMC and SMC-R.

Cheapest being a 2007 SM for 3600 usd eqv.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MomJeans420 posted:

I changed jobs and my new office building has a magnetic sensor that doesn't recognize my bike, which means my key card won't open the gate, and I can't just take a ticket to get in. Even better is the gates are not manned, there is someone in an office in the morning that can see me get stuck and open the gate for me, but at night I'm on my own. The gate (wood bar, whatever) is long enough that I can't get by, I tried one day, almost dropped the bike trying to lean it far enough to get by, then got it stuck on my side until the car behind me opened it up. Is there One Weird Trick (TM) to get around this? I'm tempted to just hacksaw off 1ft of the gate late at night.

There is a "press here to call for help" button, which after 10 calls (not rings, calls) to a number no one answers, will eventually cause the gate to open, but that takes around 5 mins. I did see a cruiser in the garage one day, I think I'm going to have to be the weirdo who leaves a note on someone's bike asking how the gently caress they get in and out every day. I'm guessing the bike is just enough bigger to set off the sensor.

Just practice a bit and then do this every night?

https://youtu.be/boI71KRxTTY?list=FLHvOhDBgZqoQg91sw57_-aw&t=97

The Bananana posted:

What state has the most vehicle/motorcyclist accidents?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That sounds INSANELY high. So I went looking for some stats.

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, Sweden: 5.1

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, UK: 9.3

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, NZ: data unavailable (AFAICT), but extrapolating from other data puts NZ at about 17.6.

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, Texas: 58.63

Welp.

EDIT: I done hosed up a bit. 58.63 is for US avg and Texas has a higher fatality rate overall, but I can't find a specific number for Texas. So 58.63 is probably lower than the actual Texas number. A ballpark guess would put TX at about 63.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

Don't ride in bicycle lanes you tards.

What every spandex warrior says every morning.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MomJeans420 posted:

I was supposed to get lasik today and [...] at night I'll get a dry eye sometimes and it makes one eye all blurry, which isn't really ideal when you're on a bike.

I had LASIK on both eyes 11 years ago, and my left eye still gets dry enough at times that I need some eye drops. I've also got some starbursts, but I don't regret it in the slightest, tho.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

The guy I bought my old Honda from had it a year and didn't know about the choke...

The guy I bought my DRZ from years ago raced, as in fairly high national level supermoto, and he had the petcock set to PRI at all times because he thought it meant "primary"...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just bounce it off the limiter until they go away.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If it's an M10 60 Nm isn't a problem for a 12.9.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Don't be absurd. As an owner of a product from said company, I can assure you that they would never do such things.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 17, 2020

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Making the single most expensive component of a bike easily removable can in no way backfire.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

It is entirely possible, indeed not even that difficult, to get perfect torques by feel alone on all the 'normal' bolts on the bike, things like clutch cover screws, side stand bolts etc and being able to do this without clutching mum's dress in one hand and a clicker in the other is part of what determines whether the fixing thing is for you. At some point you have to develop a sense of feel and trust in yourself; if you need to follow step by step manual instructions for every little thing, check in the mirror you might be an IT guy.

And since you don't use a torque wrench you know they are perfectly torqued how?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
BIKER ASSAULTS OLD MAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I used to scoff at people having problems like that, owning three bikes with different controls, seating positions and uh, usability.

Then I bought my MT-09SP with up/down quick-shifter and other shebangs and riding my SV for the first time in forever yesterday was a miserable experience.

"Why is the clutch so weird, why is the suspension so bad, why is the lighting so weak, why is the seating so cramped, oh god I tried to downshift without the clutch again" etc etc etc