Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
As a Harley owner, I can go days without not seeing the HD logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mirconium posted:

As a Harley owner you can buy a bowling ball manufactured by the same company. (Admittedly it would have to be used)

Bowling balls, beer, dog bowls. I even saw a ceiling fan once. Though to be fair they don't manufacture them, it's just a part of their ~*~*Lifestyle Brand*~*~

Slavvy posted:

Presenting the all-new WY Chestburst 1300. Race your heart!

I've been thinking of replacing the tank badge on my bike, maybe I'll use this.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mirconium posted:

No, no, they were definitely part of a bowling ball manufacturer once. (it is an AMF joke)

Oh right. They just needed something at the time that could roll 60 feet without breaking down.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters posted:

Really hoping you took this with your phone for maximum irony

I've gotten really good at filming with my mouth.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

Is it Jesus?

Jesus is really more of a Honda guy.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

What would happen if you eagerly grabbed as many of the offered Bibles as possible, then immediately and violently disposed of them by fire, for example? Get shot?

Of course. This is America, after all.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I have about 10 years experience riding motorcycles that all weigh more than 500lbs, and I'd never get on a scooter in NYC. Those people (renting scoots with no endorsement/experience) are crazy.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

ought ten posted:

But I’m also sure the NY tabloids are giddy to make this into a thing. Not like there aren’t plenty of, say, pedestrian accidents they could write about on any given day.

Probably. Revzilla's podcast Highside/Lowside had an episode recently where they talk about motorcycle-friendly areas (like CA, and the rest of the world), and what it would take to get that kind of bike acceptance in the rest of the US. For some reason, everyone is dead-set on vilifying motorcycles, which will prevent us from ever getting lane splitting or dedicated bike parking or lower tolls in other areas. Somehow playing Candy Crush in their Suburban with Level 2 autonomous cruise control is safer and more acceptable for people and legislators.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

TheBacon posted:

:wtc: I just don't even understand that one at all. Is that some PETA poo poo?

Kangaroos are known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MomJeans420 posted:

Do you riders in other countries pat the top of your helmet to warn about cops, or is that strictly a US (or California) thing? I had a guy do a finger swirling (siren/lights) motion this past weekend too, but even before I had a bike I knew the pat the helmet thing.

In Massachusetts I have never in my life seen someone do the helmet pat, but I'm aware of it. I saw someone do it when I was in SD though.

Yuns posted:

Yes, passing switches tend to be in EU spec bikes but not US spec bikes. You'd think it'd be easier to just have them in all bikes but apparently not.

My Ducati and Harley both have passing switches. I'm just glad the Harley finally has technology that other bikes apparently don't.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Group rides suck. Keeping track of people behind you is as exhausting as avoiding what's in front of you.

I got an invite from a buddy of mine to go on a ride, and he's a photographer that always finds cool spots so I agreed to meet up with him. I also invited two of my buddies (Honda Shadow Phantom and Honda Fury) that I've known and ridden with for about as long as I've been riding, and a good friend of mine that I recently did a long trip with (Harley Ultra Classic), and his son (Yamaha FZ07). So we met up with the photo dude (HD Sportster), a friend of his that we all know (HD Fat Bob), and a guy I just met today (Shadow 750), as well as the guy's mom and dad who were also on a Shadow 750. As soon as we meet up, the Shadow 750s say their first goal is to get something to eat, and then some gas, and Shadow 750 Jr says he really wants to get a beer before we go riding. Sure, not my bag, but if you have a lot of experience and you've got a high enough tolerance, I'm not about to get in your way. Come to find out Shadow 750 Jr had just passed the BRC about 3 weeks ago, and has about 500 total miles on a motorcycle.

Harley UC probably has the most experience and miles out of everyone, followed by me and Sportster, so we decided a nice calm ride down some mostly straight roads would be the best destination. It was about 40 miles over 80 minutes, not too bad, but I kept worrying that Shadow 750 Jr was going to yeet himself straight off the road. I'm not going to proselytize to anyone about the way they should be riding, but having a license for 3 weeks and then drinking a couple beers and going on a group ride is probably not the best series of decisions. Everyone arrived without incident but those 40 miles were more exhausting than the hundreds of miles a day I did in South Dakota.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Unfortunately the people who would benefit from this the most are too stupid to understand it. It was not hard to wear a mask and distance yourself while there, but maybe that’s just because I’m from a state with strict policies and am not willing to die to see Smashmouth.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

TheBacon posted:

I mean how many also won't wear a helmet? And that's something that is purely self beneficial!

I'm more consumed with wondering how these guys keep their hats on at 70 MPH.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

anybody want to try explaining what causes a man on a CBR300 to ride down a Texas interstate wearing a full-face helmet with no face shield

Any eye protection? Sometimes I think about taking the shield off my RF1200 to minimize buffering when it’s open cause I want to wear my moto glasses.

Wildest thing I ever saw was a guy on 95 in CT on a sportster going at least 80 wearing just a baseball hat and ray bans. That must have been so god drat loud.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RDfJXAhs_4

I was too busy thinking "wow gently caress that guy" and didn't see the second guy coming up to pass me in my own goddamn lane.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Razzled posted:

what's the issue with the first pass? he stayed in a lane separate from yours

second one is a no no tho for sure

I'm already going 10 miles over the speed limit, and he went between two cars after passing me. On the highway. On an interchange.

Yuns posted:

I'm mostly amazed that you can actually see stuff in your mirrors. All my mirrors show are my elbows and so I have to lift them to see anything.

The goofier the mirrors look, the better they work.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

Everyone within a mobile forty foot radius of me is an awful driver and should be at home instead of on the road.

Anybody driving slower than me is an idiot and anybody driving faster than me is a maniac.

Jazzzzz posted:

NE drivers, Massholes in particular, are loving aggressive. These squids are pretty much what I would've expected.

One of my first experiences with motorcycles before I even had a drivers license was a few guys on the Zakim Bridge wheelying between cars 20mph faster than traffic. That colored how I viewed most motorcyclists for a while.

Mister Speaker posted:

Let's stereotype lovely drivers.

Back to Massholes, but lifted pickup trucks, minivans, and green license plates. Guys in lifted trucks always have something to prove, people in minivans are trying to wrangle their kids or whatever while on their 138th listen of Baby Shark for the day, and green license plates are for plates registered before 1987, so they're always elderly.

Mini Coopers and VW Bugs can probably go on that list too. More than once I've had someone in a "cute" car almost merge into my Challenger because they weren't paying attention, so I stay the gently caress away from them when I'm on my bike.

Edit: Not mentioning the Challenger as a weird flex, but rather because it's loving enormous.

Strife fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 25, 2020

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Razzled posted:

being not a dick is key, but just lol at getting mad at other bikers for speeding

It's more about them doing something that would have directly put me in danger if I'd had the audacity to move over in my own lane but sure.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

The CAHOG thread is primarily for Harleys right? And therefore, as there is no cruiser thread yet, creating one would be a good idea right?

Nah it's meant for general cruisers. There's only like four of us here with Harleys anyway, so if someone doesn't post something else in that thread it's just going to lowside right off the forums.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Good thing I didn't say 'don't get abs', but rather 'abs won't make you not-poo poo' and, actually, I take offense at your basic premise. It very much is possible to be a not-poo poo rider 100% of the time, I reject the idea that we're somehow guaranteed to crash eventually.

I thought that too until a dumptruck ejected its load all over the highway at 65mph, but maybe I missed something.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
It’s important you learn to emergency brake without ABS in case you one day leave your house and forget to bring your ABS with you.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Turns out making actual race bikes for the street is maybe a bad idea once you take them out of their hermetically sealed 15-mechanic race environment and plop them on the street with no maintenance

Hey it works for the Dodge Demon. Sure you need to put race fuel into it and prep it every time you want to achieve the advertised performance, but that doesn't stop people from doing that on regular roads, even ones that aren't maintained to the same degree as tracks.

Oh it does? It does. Well poo poo.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

What do y'all do when somebody walks up to you (at an intersection, parked, whatever) and starts talking at you and you can't hear a god damned thing because you're wearing earplugs and a helmet (and possibly have something playing in your helmet speakers)?

Rev the engine.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters posted:

I just want Shoei or Arai to actually build the intercoms into their helmet. Give me some sort of active noise cancelling so I don't even need ear plugs. That inflatable earmuff thing that Jim found is the closest I've seen.

The problem with these integrated units is the manufacturers don't usually want to play with each other. So you get a great helmet with a lovely integrated system, or a great comms system in a lovely helmet.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MomJeans420 posted:

My trick was having multiple cars for one person, now multiple bikes seems much more reasonable

Same. I started with a Challenger and needed to buy a winter vehicle, so there was already precedent for getting another vehicle to meet a different use-case.

So really the solution here is to buy another car first.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Get heated grips and heated gloves. Life changing.

Heated grips are amazing. Also I'm absolutely floored at how good Harley Davidson gloves are. They make a pair of wind-blocking winter gloves that work great down to the mid 20's (F). I'm sure Tourmaster makes some kind of crazy winter glove that goes halfway up your arm, but I've never had success with gauntlets.

Also I can't recommend First Gear enough. Their heated base layer stuff can be cranked up to unbearably hot, and they make glove liners too.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Phy posted:

Die grinder the hole

This was my thrash metal band's album name.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Every single time i get out on a fun road, I have to worry about someone unable to stay on their side. Going around a hairpin mountain turn just to have to dodge some old fart on a Harley trike halfway across your lane really sucks the fun out of the whole experience.

Sagebrush posted:

And yeah, gently caress mustangs. I've never met an owner of a modern muscle car where I was like "dang this guy strikes me as very conscientious and not at all a menace on the road"

We're out there. I drive a Challenger, but it's just like sport bikes; keep the shenanigans on the track and off public roads.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

How uncomfortable must it be to get a haircut while unable to sit back.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Hair chat makes me wonder why a huge beard is a common find in motorcycling. Any time my beard gets long enough to warrant grooming it's so loving uncomfortable in a helmet and immediately makes you look like you live under a bridge once you take the helmet off. Wearing a balaclava when it's winter makes it even worse.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Bought a new bike last Tuesday (Kawasaki KLX230) and thanks to the current vehicle registration process combined with my excitement, I'm now receiving parts for a bike I do not yet possess.

The RMV is accepting drop-offs for registrations only, so I'm waiting on an email to give me a link to pay for my plate which will then (?) be sent to me. The dealer told me once I have a plate they'll set the bike up and I can come get it.

Worst case, it's a dirtbike. So I'll just go get it, strap it to my jeep, and do wheelies in my back yard until the plate comes.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Jesus, that loving sucks. Regarding weaving, I read a thing that the human eye/brain isn't great at perceiving movement of something getting closer, but it's great at side to side, which is why it's best to weave in your lane as you approach an intersection. I've started doing that so much it's kinda become second nature. Lights > noise.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MomJeans420 posted:

There are so many choices and I want like 10 wildly different bikes. I'll have to make a post in the tell me what bike to buy thread once I can type with two hands, typing like a boomer right now is slow as poo poo.

After I totaled my bike on the highway I got all that stupid bullshit too, and people would ask my wife how she’d ever let me get on a motorcycle again. (Her response is: “he’s an adult, I don’t let him do anything.”)

Partially out of spite I bought a Harley touring bike, a Ducati scrambler, and a Kawasaki dual sport within 18 months and I ride at least one of them almost every single day. But partially indecision. If you want wildly different bikes, get them. Ride all motorcycles. They’re all so different and fun in different ways.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Or deliberately drive over them while they're at a protest. I think I heard that's legal now.

Depends on what you’re driving.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Greg12 posted:

they want to cry at you about how they saw a bicyclist roll a stop sign and how horrible that is

as if they don't roll every stop sign in their car

In 2019 someone in my town blew a red light and killed a guy on a motorcycle. When the article was posted on my town facebook page, people came to the defense of the driver saying that blowing a red light was an honest mistake and that could happen to anyone (she's well known in the community). People are loving terrible.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
When I broke my leg in 2019 a bunch of people asked if I’d ever ride again, and asked my wife how she’d ever let me get back on a motorcycle. I crashed on the highway and my only injury was a tib/fib fracture.

About a month later my primary care doctor slipped on his deck trying to move his grill and got the same injury. Nobody asked him if he’d never walk on his deck again.

Are motorcycles dangerous? When you eliminate all the stupid poo poo idiots do, it’s not really any more dangerous than anything else.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Not being a dick, this has come as somewhat of a surprise to me: why do you guys keep riding if you think it's so lethal you have to triage your family and poo poo? If I thought it was that absurdly dangerous I'd never do it at all, children irrespective.

I've never understood this position. I'm not going to stop riding motorcycles when I have children for the same reason I didn't stop riding motorcycles when I got married. I don't think it's especially dangerous. I've nearly died considerably more times from committing the moral sin of being born with an incurable illness, so I'm more likely to suddenly start bleeding internally and die for no loving reason than I am to die in a motorcycle accident. At least a motorcycle accident is preventable.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I have to assume the subscription heartbeat has a grace period where it just pings out monthly to say "yeah the next 30 days are good," and if it can't, it notifies you that you need to connect it up so it can refresh for another month.

But there's nothing on their site to indicate that, so holy poo poo.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

HST posted:

Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

Should be the tell me what to buy thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

I mean, he mentions the 916 which means it's at least 87, at which point the 900ss was already quite slow by the standards of the time. The gsxr750 and 1100, gpz900r, fzr750 and 1000, Vfr750 and vf1000 were all popular, available bikes at the time and all of them would absolutely stomp an SS.

Literally just a neophyte nearly crashing a middleweight twin then bragging about how fast and heroic he is.

I think it was '95.

Comparatively, my Scrambler:

I never knew it was such a BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE