Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Penguingo posted:

Do one that teleports trespassers, and do a deliberately-faulty teleport one that duplicates trespassers, drawing a big power surge. Duplicating entities in exchange for power sounds pretty cool, although dunno how you'd deal with players (named zombie?).
A fly faced player model.

Added bonus: Jeff Goldblum quotes, from other movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Check today's Direwolf episode, he spends like 30 minutes loving around with a Rednet controller to get it working.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

SkyDen question: Am I missing something that lets me breathe water from Vanilla or something? I can't figure out a solution for the Trial of Water, and I can't find anything in NEI. My valent attempts to tank it with regen potions also failed.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

You can also put the Respiration enchantment on a helmet to hold your breath longer, but I haven't gotten to the Trial of Water yet so I can't say if that will be enough.
I think that's the correct answer, everything else makes me uncomfortable about the "No breaking or placing blocks" rule. It worked perfectly.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a waterbreathing potion, right? Or maybe I did do the helmet thing. I can't remember now.
According to the Minecraft wiki, there either was one, or there is one in the code, but it isn't implemented.

I've never worked with potion brewing before SkyDen, so I don't know.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Shadowmorn posted:

:stare: They are adapting. :ohdear:

Seriously, whats causing this kind of doom stack? Glad i have a railgun because that combos just nasty if all you had was melee.

I think it's Natura or Tinker's Construct, I've only seen it in packs with those.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Today's Direwolf episode shows how incredibly tedious the new Thaumcraft research system is, which is a great case of two steps back, one forward.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Obsidian Plates if I remember right. He might have others but I haven't used them.

Thermal Expansion, now only for the Feed the Beast modpack.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Danny Glands posted:

God, I hope he won't be that partisan. TE is pretty much the reason why Buildcraft energy is the de facto standard for power today.
The pressure plate mod he had was by defacto Feed the Beast only, because there wasn't an indiviual download for it. Currently he "requires" a specific creative commons license.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Why are Mojang so slow to code anything into the game? Are they just not very good coders or is Notch's code some sort of labyrinth of shoddiness that takes them forever to navigate?
From my understanding they've been effectively rewriting the entire codebase so it's not taking forever to navigate, that's why basically every major patch that adds some small stuff like horses requires a complete rewrite of basically every mod.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

President Ark posted:

If there isn't a way to disable that feature being able to grab & store entities I see that block being banned on literally every server running AE. There's about a million ways to grief with that.
Don't play Minecraft with lovely people.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

He is, but "don't post about issues if you're using MFR on the bug report form, it changes the code I support." is a reasonable thing to say. Not the way he's saying it.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Shadowmorn posted:

A kinetic engine that needs you to wind it up, AE crank style.

Isn't there one of those in Railcraft?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

Even worse is when a mod's entire and sole documentation is in video form.

I mean, I'd hate to say it, but that's pretty much the entire internet at this point. Things that can be done in 3 minutes with text are now a 30 minute long video on youtube.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

Zero, from removing the mod.

Seriously, that is one of the most obnoxious mods I've ever seen, because it clogs up the world with creatures that do not shut up. You can't do anything without having your eardrums assault by constant snorting, roaring, bellowing, and screaming. And that's not even getting into the hostile monsters it adds that are fast, tough, strong, numerous, and all have some stupid bullshit gimmick that makes them absolutely ruinous if you don't pick your gear and design your house with them in mind.

And, if that's the mod I think it is, you're completely hosed if a turtle gets in your sugar farm.

Which it will.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

New Leaf posted:

What I meant was why bother with all the power and magic stuff if the difficulty of the game doesn't also increase?
The issue is most of the difficulty is just straight bullshit. When an Ogre spawns, it attacks by deleting entire rows of blocks (no drops, just straight gone). If one gets near your storage system, you lose everything.

Meanwhile, they can actually make the game easier if you find one in a safe location, because they are easy to kill and drop Obsidian, letting you skip some annoying requirements.

Then again, this is a few versions ago, so I may be saying outdated data. But gently caress that mod. I generally rip it out of any pack I use, along with Dimension Doors.

Carados fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 6, 2013

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

EDIT: I also love the following dichotomy-

Seems pretty reasonable. "If you upload something, you better have the rights for it, because by uploading it, you give us the rights to do with what we please with it."

If they didn't put the second bit in, the first wouldn't work.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Taffer posted:

Not like more than a handful of people ever took permissions seriously anyway.

Well, for various definitions of "seriously." Only a handful of mods had permissive licensing, now every mod has to have it. Hell, I was looking at Millenare yesterday and the licensee would render it unusable in most packs (the coding does that for them, though). Modpacks can "legally" contain whatever you want regardless of what anyone says. It's really nice if you're 30.5 Days six months ago.

Edit: VVV Or you can just strip out that stuff, rehost it, and post it on the internet for anyone to download. For bonus points, do it on the Minecraft Forums or the Nexus that'll soon exist.

Carados fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 12, 2013

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

I can't see any thread addressing it on their forums, which confirms that no one really gives a poo poo about the EULA
Most people don't know, and if you actually cause enough of a shitstorm for them to figure it out on their forums or the curse forums, you'll get banned or whatever they do. It changes basically nothing.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

I've been working on trying to get Wylker's pack working, and it instantly crashes (after about 10 seconds on the Mojang logo). Is there an increase permgen option? I'm only seeing 1 gig of max memory. Could that be the issue?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

Increase permgen is no longer a separate option, it should go on automatically if you set the memory to 2GB or more. If you only have 1GB available to set, either you don't have enough memory in your computer or it's a problem with 32-bit java.

I'm running 64 bit java and have 12 gigs of RAM.

I'm rather confused.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Grey Elephants posted:

Are there any modpacks that replicate the state of Technic back when it had EE2 with the energy collectors and obsidian producers? Tekkit classic has the newer energy collectors, and I'm looking for a previous incarnation. I want to relive some Minecraft modding nostalgia :)

Considering that mod doesn't actually exist anymore, my suggestion would be to try the version of Tekkit you're talking about. I'm fairly sure you can get it in the older versions menu.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Grey Elephants posted:

So no way of getting that version of Technic then, since its so far back? :(

Search through Rutibex's posts either in this thread or in the last one. He's into that kind of stuff.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Can someone post the court rulings again?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

So, how long until the big explosion comes when someone starts actually using that quote in a way that causes drama?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Taffer posted:

Adfly clicks. Seriously.

Which is really funny because this is money that Mojang could sue for if it was worth it and they wanted to.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

fondue posted:

Don't forget many of then would like to tell players how and who can use their mod. They're deeply concerned players may be playing wrong.
Well, that's just asking for a Mojang Employee to open up the heavens and publicly shame you now. They're still "discussing" what to do with ad.fly.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Jesus christ, I forgot about the "Tekkit is illegal" thing.

Are we at a point with the new version that there's a big pack with enough differences then the last stable stepping off point for mods, yet?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

fondue posted:

Have you read his postings the past week? It's a cringe-worthy display and misinterpretation of the term 'distribution'.

Limerick posted:

What are you expecting out of a mod with this TOS?
Can someone just do it and see what they intend to do if you violate these ToS? Reskin Thaumcraft to use those textures or something and make an official Minecraft Forums thread about it.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

It may just give us one really, really good version with good versions of all of the mods coming out due to an inability to update for awhile, which is fine.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

What's this Curse thing I keep hearing about? I missed whatever it was but given how awful Curse is it can't be good.

Feed The Beast is now a part of Curse.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

What's a good "everything and the kitchen sink" pack? I'm not running a server, so performance isn't incredibly important.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Wylker's LP pack fits the bill pretty well, I actually had to take a mod or two out it was so jam-packed. Also very all-purpose, so conversely, feel free to jam all kinds of additional mods in. I added Ars Magica 2 myself, plus Growcraft and Statues.

Seriously, Wylker, thanks for a great pack, and going out of your way to even provide my dumb rear end with support when I couldn't get some things working.

Yeah, Ars Magica is a very important part of this "everything in the pack" pack. I wonder if I can stuff Millenare in there as well.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

I tried adding mods to wylker's modpack mods folder and now it crashes I am the worst at this.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

I am the absolute worst at mod pack creation/modification. No matter how many times I try to add two mods to the Wylker modpack, it just crashes. Is there another step besides adding them to /mods/?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

It's not an item conflict, those aren't appearing in the logs. I can't figure out why it's crashing from the logs.

It looks like a sound issue from a mod I didn't add, which makes no sense.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

wylker posted:

Carados if you let me know what mods you want to add to the pack I'll make some configs for you.

Nah, it's cool. I almost got there. My issue is that the "If you put an ID number here, the rest of the blocks will follow this ID" never seem to work. It looks so tempting, and then it isn't functional.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

mechaet posted:

I might do my take on OMP-* which is kitchen-sink-plus-100-mods, but there's no way I'd run a server for it.

These are fantastic packs for people playing in single player (which I do because I don't get often to play and like playing in short chunks), so if you ever get around to it, it would be awesome.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

In Agarian Skies, I fell, respawned over void, and am now falling forever.

Is there a fix to this? Some way to add lives outside of the game? I don't have enough time to cheat in lives, move them, and use them?

Switching to creative and flying isn't working.

Or am I hosed forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Is there a way to summon rain in AS? It's a big bottle neck for me currently. So much so I've built out a 24x24 platform full of barrels just waiting for it to rain.

• Locked thread