Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Seconding Risk of Rain. Seems like it should get a little too samey since it doesn't have much by way of building a char, but it's charming, easy to pick up and play and has a great aesthetic.

Are there any recommendations for a decent iOS roguelike besides 100 Rogues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Things were going so well with IVAN. Got to Attam, had some decent gear, bought freed a slave, then

hopped on a mine.

:negative:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

dis astranagant posted:

Your gear was terrible. Levitation is a requirement.

IT WAS DECENT TO ME OKAY

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

doctorfrog posted:

• haven't broke 10000 gold on Brogue

Is this even possible?! :monocle:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

This is the best Brogue session I've ever had. I've never even seen a naga before, nor have I made it past the 7th floor...I think playing on ipad keeps me cautious. Staff of obstruction and+2 firebolt have kept me alive this far.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 30, 2014

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Dredmor hate :(

It introduced me to the genre and led me to Brogue, Qud and Crawl, and I still play it from time to time. Definitely not without its flaws (crafting and general inventory management could be hella improved), but it's genuinely hilarious and the devs are good people. For a dollar, you're a fool to not at least have it in your library. At a minimum, the soundtrack is fantastic.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 24, 2014

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I love well-done attack animations and those look pretty drat neat. I do wish there was an option to disable them after the first few encounters, though, or a setting that'll show them at random when attacking.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

AceRimmer posted:

So any good "modern setting" roguelikes with guns besides LCS/Catacylsm? (besides DoomRL)

AliensRL or X@COM come to mind, though I'm sure there are better examples. Also SotS: The Pit.

e: durr those are more scifi than modern. I need a nap.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 13, 2014

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

:toot:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Never uninstall IVAN.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

tinkerttoy posted:

Congrats! What upgrade path did you take?

Late reply is late, but I took HP+ almost exclusively and the throw distance upgrade. The ability to stun dudes upon landing from a jump perk is probably why I won.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

House Louse posted:

I just ascended in Brogue fot the first time...Seed number is 61032326 if anyone wants an easy game.

Dang, thanks for this. I eventually starved to death, but this one's super beatable. Ogre and x2 Naga bros in just a few floors. :O

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

doctorfrog posted:

Bionic Dues is on sale for $2, and well worth it, in my opinion. The project is officially completed, to the point where the lead developer pretty much announced it, but the other main dev still adds features here and there, so IMO it's far from being a dead project.

https://indiegamestand.com/sale/

Counterpoint: god-awful music :colbert:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Don't remember seeing any chat about Mysterious Castle on iOS. Anyone playing it? I'm really digging it.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Ernie. posted:

Alright. One more person say yes.

Dangit. I'm drunk and ready to drop :20bux: on a rl. Anyone else wanna be a musketeer with me?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Defs a long shot here, but would I be able to transfer my current Qud save to shiny Steam Qud? Enjoying the best run I've ever had (over 10k turns, whaaat) and I'd be happy to continue it in tilestown.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Somehow I survived the conveyor belts, but Golgotha's oozey center rusted my carbide equipment. And most of my armor. I trudged over a dozen eels with a named slog slip-sliding after me and found the exit with 3hp left.

Caves of Qud. :allears:

Also grats Freehold! I now own your entire catalog on Steam! I wish my internet wasn't down or I could enjoy those tasty tiles.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

S.T.C.A. posted:

5 drams as in "argyve charges 5 drams to recharge my fully charged chem cell after I use a recoiler." I think, anyway. It's cheap.

How do I get him to do this? Does he have a trade interface, or do I have to finish all of his quests first? Every time I chat with him, I can just recap the quest I'm on or say goodbye.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
What exactly do the green characters on the frame of the hud indicate? Haven't been able to suss it out yet because I'm dense.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Is there a way to check the current time somewhere that I'm missing?

e: I guess moon phases are the way to do it now. Makes sense.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Angry Diplomat posted:

3) don't wade in the sludge. Don't stand in the sludge. Don't stand next to the sludge. Fear the sludge. Hate what you fear. Destroy what you hate.

see, when I went down there, sludge was freaking everywhere and I had no choice but to wade throu--

PleasingFungus posted:

make HE or thermal grenades, since those will clear out sludge just fine.

oh. ohhhhhh.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

fadam posted:

Any CoQ playthroughs on Youtube you guys would recommend?

There's only 4 eps so far and he's a little clueless on Qud, but Phuket's kinda fun to listen to. He has a decent Cogmind series, too.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Unormal posted:

*Added a new inhabitant to Joppa (meow)

I start to glow.

:3:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Can anyone recommend Rogue's Tale? It's cheaper than a pack of gum at the moment at ShinyLoot and I'm generally a fan of so-called hard roguelikes.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Highblood posted:

Anyone interested in buying cogmind then? We could get the improved tier and split the cost so we all get it cheaper. If anyone's interested I'll do it otherwise I'm just gonna buy the prime tier

I'm in, but I don't use PayPal. I could Venmo if someone else wants to buy, though.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Pladdicus posted:

Press and hold is the best thing. Allows you to do context sensitive, prevents incorrect inputs, radial context menu, mmm. I'd love to see a roguelike with that designed.

I've had an idea for a system shock-y mobile rl in the style of cardinal quest built around a p&h radial menu for a while. it may never happen since I'm more of a graphic artist type and not the programming type.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

dis astranagant posted:

Maybe once you have all the content in you can iron out the difficulty curve a bit.

don't you EVER

Also wanted to give some props to Kyzrati for revealing sale/income info for the last year of Cogmind -- interesting stuff. Buy Cogmind if you enjoy games from devs with a lotta heart. I'm gonna say CM, Qud and Dmans are the holy trinity of heart.

http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2016/05/cogmind-1-year-alphas/

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Meridian posted:

Picked up Sword of the Stars: The Pit, Dungeon of the Endless and Dungeons of Dredmor on the steam sale. Considering Tales of Maj'Eyal. Any opinions on which one to jump into first?

I'm one of those weirdos who really loves Dreadmor. It was the first RL I tried (alongside Brogue) and it's my 2nd most-played game on Steam. I haven't beaten it. The interface in general is not great but you'll work around the quirks. I'd start here, take it slow and look at everything. Play with: a beer.

Dungeon of the Endless is just fantastic, inside and out. It's a hair more stressful/strategic than your average RL and certainly moreso than Dredmor, but it's worth all of your time. The character synergies, the light tower defense elements, the mad dash to the exit with they crystal...this is a loving Video Game. Play with: a nice scotch.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. I found it okay enough. Interesting concepts marred by goofy crafting and over-reliance on RNG. Play with: long island ice tea because it'll numb some of the pain.

ToME: Oodles of content, cool guy developer, big community, just solid all around. I wouldn't hesitate picking it up.

e: I took way too long typing this out and I also mentioned scotch. Why am I doing this while hungover? :(

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Jimb posted:

I shelved Dungeonmans after playing it for an hour or so awhile back. It didn't click for me then and I'm not sure why because after firing it up again the other day I haven't been able to stop. I think I was being to harsh on it and expecting it to be exactly like Dungeon Crawl or something.

I really like DMans on the whole but the typography choice and type treatment is not good, and it's sorta why I've shelved it for now. I understand the stylistic direction it's going for, but soft drop shadows on a bookish font in various saturated colors on a medium beige background doesn't make for great legibility. Dredmor uses old style serif in its UI and gets away with it because it's minimally treated and contrast is much higher, which you really need in those typefaces. I don't want a good game to feel like work. :(

I actually don't mind the typeface itself in Dmans, it works well at larger sizes — but the treatment needs some more attention and pairing it with a sans serif for smaller copy would go a long way in reducing fatigue. (I think I am partially venting because one of my client's web developers insists on coating everything in drop shadows and he will not listen to reason [the gently caress am I thinking about work for on a saturday night with a decent buzz]).

:goonsay:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Tevery Best posted:

here is something you can't understand

HOW I QUD JUST KILL A MAN

Goddamn it, thank you.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Can we go back to bashing that guy for his Brogue comment and stop talking about Talisman, the worst game ever
I spent all night writing up a design document for a roguelike I want to make someday

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Are there any videos of the recent talks floating around?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I decided to effortpost about the roguelike thing I've had in my head and a google doc for a while if anyone's interested. There's a screenshot and some mechanics talk in there. Looking back at the screenshot from this morning, I see at least a dozen things to change/clarify. This is going to rule and suck.

If I really try and believe in myself, I think I can do it! :downsbravo:

edit: so crusty

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 16, 2016

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Helical Nightmares posted:

This is awesome. Good luck and keep at it! Even now I like the graphical aesthetic. I think it needs a little more "something" to be finished; like the central pillars could be elevator bays, computer terminals, have biohazard signs or whatever. Other than that I think you are well on your way graphically.

Hey thanks! I tried some more initial idle anims while sick at home yesterday with sample enemies/zone tiles:

Oh yeah, as far as that "something," I've been trying to determine what the crunch is. Qud has lore and character flexibility, Nethack has everything, Crawl is super easy to get into and has a robust deity system, etc. There's a buuunch of mechanics/systems/wishlist junk I haven't touched on yet, though. One thing I've really wanted to see in a roguelike (and Qud has started to implement) are infections/mutations found in-world. One infection has a dumb name at the moment, but it works like this:

Brood mother: Increase HP regen and vitality; on timer, player "gives birth" to a small brood of creatures than can overwhelm player. Display: Your stomach itches. (Later) Your chest burns. (Later) You feel erratic movement in your abdomen. (Event; several creatures spawn and attack) Your stomach bursts open. You blink twice; the cavity is closed and the pain of birth is wiped away.

Something like that. Rough edges need to be filed down all over the place.

Also started building a library of simple sounds for some things! Here's an idling terminal waiting for the player to log in/hack:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Helical Nightmares posted:

Well at the moment a the wall is simply functional and I'm suggesting it just look more eyecatching.

Great place to display some world building

Since you are talking about diseases, why not: biohazard symbols, contamination level warnings, some sort of federal agency posters, directions for refugees to go to, DO and DO NOT lists, angry graffiti over all the previous with some truth in their slogans, tears from claws and blood stains on all previous tiles, etc.

Also is the last unit a brain? I'm not sure. Being hyper critical it looks kinda like a lump. May want to define it further.

Ahh, I get you. Yeah, that's in the works too.

It...sorta is a lump, yeah. That's the layer name in photoshop, anyway.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

madjackmcmad posted:

:toot:Rogue Scholars 2016: Winter is Coding:toot:

This is so great!

I've mentioned Escape from Aeon before 'round these parts, even detailing some of the nerdier cruft I'd like to someday include, but lately I've been kinda quiet about it. That's because I've teamed up with Something Awful Forums User and Coding Buddy Angryhead to make this an awesome experience for both of us!

Escape from Aeon is a turn-based sci fi/horror roguelike. You must escape a large mothership destined for humanity’s next home — but things have gone wrong. You quickly learn some sort of fungal growth has messed stuff up for everyone on the Aeon. Thematic touchstones are System Shock, Aliens and The Thing, with just a zesty little twist of Heart of Darkness. I'm attempting to marry that with a low-fi minimal scifi look without overdesigning stuff. Sci fi interfaces is a proclick blog.

I've gone into a little detail previously on combat, weapons, and infections, and shared a few mockups; there's a short list of links after this bit but here's a short rundown: Combat is largely firearm-based, and built on a vintage XCOM / JA2 1.13 action point allocation system for combat. In addition to lore-y future-materials of varying quality for weapons and armor (biosteel and emeraldweave, for example), there are several ammo types that can be leveraged against certain types of enemies in an extended rock-paper-scissors format. The player can also research and experiment with mutagenic synthesizers and spores, integrated into the body and offering some strong benefit/drawback gameplay (sort of your average deity system). There are 25 levels of 5 areas planned at this point.

(All this stuff's super wip)

Visuals
Examples of area-specific enemy types and floor tiles
Sorely out of date UI mockups
The og mockup that started it all
Short movetest in Godot

Info on r/roguelikedev Sharing Saturdays
Background story & system overview
More on spores
UI funnin'

^ there's also Twitter and Instagram shenanigans you can peep in there, too.

I started this project in mid October without knowing a lick of code, and made a tiny bit of progress in Godot after poking around in Unity. Progress at that pace would've been sub-glacial, so reached out to the community for some hands-on assistance. Angryhead hollered back and he's currently my head bro. In the past 2 weeks or so, he's put together a very solid prototype based on some wonderful frameworks, like the Unity RL tutorial and the Entitas component system.

I'll add some of the music I'm working on this evening!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

madjackmcmad posted:

:black101:Rogue Scholar 2016: Winter is Coding:black101:

spider wisdom & Angryhead | Escape from Aeon (:h:Unormal Choice:h:)
Unormal's words: "Of all the great descriptions, it was simply the one that sounded like I was most likely to pop the cartridge in and play!" Can't beat that. I like what the two of you have put together in the links you shared and I agree that you're on the road to something solid. Try making a playable where Unormal smiles warmly when he dies.

Unormal posted:

Let me know via e-mail to unormal@gmail.com what sprite pack you'd like (or other dev tool of similar value)!

Oh maaan, this is wild. Thanks guys. This was a great way to end what's been a lovely week. :kiddo: Angryhead and I are on a brief break until this Sunday when we'll get back to it in full swing. I've been slowing reworking some UI stuff in the meantime.

I'll be in touch re: tileset or other dev tool shortly!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Howdy friends!

Me and devgoon Angryhead have been hard at work in our downtime on Escape from Aeon, a The-Thing-in-space survival-horror inspired roguelike, and we've got a video of things moving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHoG_Y-ggcU

Still in the earliest pre-dawn of proto-alphas, so everything has that sample-tileset and placeholder-sounds stank, but I'm just ultra excited to share the budding fruit of our dorkloins. We've recently transitioned to 32x32 sprites for better visibility, implemented a shifty slidey UI, and all sorts of code I could never understand. I'm working on sounds & soundtracks, new sprites and expanding an already embarrassingly long ideas/design doc.

I'm sometimes on twitter and a very outdated instagram if you want to keep up with our breakneck pace of development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I've played Crawl off and on for a year or so, and I'm just now getting my first rune. :swoon: