Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
user: I need access to this module! Here is the email from our C-Level saying I can have it
me: What specific transactions in the module do you need access to?
user: I don't know, I guess just give me all of them.
me: I can't give you access to all of them, could you please tell me which ones you specifically need?

User then goes to the C-level, who calls my boss, who calls me and tells me to give the user whatever access they want. At this point, it does not matter how much I argue, or what convincing I attempt, the user gets everything eventually.

drat am I tired of this happening. You would think, after the last time a similar request played out and that user took down our production system for 6 hours, that management would learn. If anyone knows how to convince the powers that be that security does not mean that everyone has access to everything if they ask, could you clue me in please?

Also, is this now the appropriate thread to say gently caress Printers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

couldcareless posted:

Get it in writing/text/email from your boss to give "whatever they want" as far as permissions go. Then attempt to determine what exactly they want with them one more time, once again getting it all in writing. After giving them everything because that's that they ask for, save all of this in a folder on desktop labeled "I Told You So". Break it out when things go up in flames.
I keep record of it all. It just astounds me how often we have to go through it and makes me think someone, somewhere, has come up with a way to convince management that security really is a good thing.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
I don't know what, but something very bad is about to happen. We are implementing a new ERP - our go live is Monday morning - and I am leaving the office now (at 2:30pm and not 4:00 am) with nothing left to do. Something is wrong somewhere. This entire last week actually went very well, not one major issue and all the small ones were resolved in a timely manner. I am horrified.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Anyone have links to a couple of good articles on why end users should not have full Admin rights in an ERP system?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

You misspelled "some documented disasters caused by end users with full Admin rights in an ERP system".
Oh, no. We have already had our ERP crashed by 3 separate people with admin rights. Unfortunately, those incidents occurred under different management, so it is as if they never actually happened.

Today I got the "Your department reports to me" speech when I said no to the request to give admin rights to a Jr. accountant. I wonder how many times in my career I will have to lose this argument before I finally give up the ghost and just let the auditors take care of it for me.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

porktree posted:

Even before we had to limit the ERP admin rights to one person because of SOX, the private auditors would have flagged anyone having that kind of access to the ERP system as serious security issue. I mean, hey, let me create a bill and pay it, or order goods and mark it paid or any other thing. Let alone doing some admin crap with the concurrent managers or fuxoring with the value sets.
I just counted this earlier; I have 5 emails in my CYA folder that make pretty much that same argument to various people. None of them cared, but eventually I imagine they are going to try and claim they never knew the risks.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
We were just notified that we may be required to "teach" office 2010 and 2013 classes to our users. As an alternative, I suggested some kind of computer based training for office which was well received, as long as we had physical DVD's that could be signed out by the user (yeah, really). So does anyone have a good CBT training for MS Office they can suggest so I don't have to spend hours and hours building classes for a group of people that probably don't care to learn in the first place?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Gerdalti posted:

I'm fairly certain you guys are all correct. None of it makes sense and I'm a trained cya'er. I'll report back and let you know what happens tomorrow, should be fun either way.
I predict that the resolution will end with the CEO saying "as long as its working now", and no one will ever think of it again; except in 3 months while in a staff meeting the VP will comment on how IT lost his email when he first started.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Has anyone had an issue using RemoteApps on a windows server, where all Excel documents opened through the RemoteApp open in the same excel window? We access our Dynamics install via RemoteApp, and when multiple reports are exported to Excel they open in the same window regardless of the settings in Excel (ignore DDE just makes excel crash) or on the terminal server (taskbar is set to never combine buttons). I built a RemoteApp that points just to explorer.exe on the terminal server and opened a couple spreadsheets from it, and the same thing happened. if I RDP to the server, they open in different windows.

Holy poo poo am I tired of hearing about this already. Yes, it is annoying, but it is not why you cant do your job, so quit telling your boss that.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 15, 2015

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

larchesdanrew posted:

Did a quick basement runthrough. Sorry about the picture quality. If you notice anything that would identify the station I work for, please let me know so I don't lose this poo poo job.

Late last year our network admin was mandated to take all of the decommissioned poo poo out of our racks. We now have about 3 racks worth of old SANS, servers, switches, routers, and other random bits sitting in a giant pile in our work room. After seeing your post, I no longer think our hoard is really that bad.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Is anyone using software to centrally manage USB ports on a network? I figured there would be some simple software with centralized management and some kind of basic reporting capabilities to do this, but I apparently suck at Google..

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

anthonypants posted:

You mean like group policy?
As far as I know that is not granular enough? The request is to be able to call ITwho can then "flip a switch" to turn on a USB port for the specified device, and then turn it off again on demand, either by request or by a schedule that is determined when each request is originally made, and this needs to be able to be done on each individual computer.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
our network admin just rebooted our core router because about 10% of our VDi's lost connectivity.

Send help.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

flosofl posted:

Was that just a "let's give it shot" troubleshooting technique?
This was was literally the first thing he did though. Calls started coming in to the help desk about VDI's disconnecting, so the admin got up and walked to the data closet and rebooted the core router. Didn't even bother telling anyone. The help desk guy that ran over to see what was going on when other poo poo went down said the admin was surprised that rebooting the core router would have any effect on anything.

I have absolutely no idea what he thought he was doing. I could ask him what he was thinking, but then he would probably tell and I am not sure I want to try and parse my way through that level of incompetence for something that I am not directly involved with. Especially since he will use technical terms that he only has a tenuous grasp on to start with. Though I may ask, cause its fun watching him try to be condescending when he has no clue what he is talking about.

The worst part is, he has done this before; if I am remembering correctly, the last time it was because our VPN went down.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

The Fool posted:

The entire building. To be fair, it was a roughly conex sized structure, but still.
Do you have this fixed yet? We submitted a ticket hours ago, and we still cant connect! How are we supposed to do our jobs if you lazy tech guys won't do yours?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

The Fool posted:

You joke, but the uplink for this equipment is on a cell modem, so if they could maintain power to the building somehow, we may have never noticed.
hey our computer guy gave me a thingie that powers my phone from my car, cant you just use one of them? We really need to connect!

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

lampey posted:

What kind of job expects you to sleep at work?
You haven't lived until your boss shows up at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon with a complete redesign of a project that you have 4 weeks of work into, and is slated to be delivered to the client on the following Monday.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Haquer posted:

And then you said "ah sorry to hear" and left at 5pm, right?

Right?

:negative:
No. When he asked he also offered a nice sized bonus (relatively speaking) if I did it. Plus I asked for and got 2 extra paid days off the next week. And his wife cooked me food all weekend long, which was pretty boss.

He was a bad planner, but all in all not a bad boss when it came to this sort of thing, at least not for the 2 years I worked there. He knew when he was asking a lot, didn't try and take advantage, and generally made up for it when he did. Where he was lacking was common sense; I left when he fired the sales guy (we only had the 1) and didn't sell anything himself for weeks, then started sitting us down and bitching when we had like 12 billable hours between 4 of us in a week. Pretty crappy actually, because up to that point it was an awesome job.

ETA:

Gerdalti posted:

The right answer to this poo poo is always to say "We can deliver the original project Monday as promised, or you'll need to rework the timeline completely." Not standing your ground on things like this just means you will be living this hell until you learn. And chances are you will have to learn somewhere else. Managing expectations is key to not being a doormat in this industry.

An alternative is also "ok, but I'm also giving you my notice, this is not how I want to work." It's a little ballsier, but if the company expects you to work that way, you'll burn out quickly anyhow.
Not always. He was a pretty good boss and to be honest, I probably would have done the work without a bonus if he had asked, just because he always took care of us and never tried to take advantage.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 22, 2015

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Crowley posted:

If you mounted it correctly it's still accessible when racked. :v:

Regarding BYOD:
You can BYOD under the following conditions:
  • You pay for it yourself.
  • It can only connect to the insecure BYOD WiFi.
  • We offer absolutely NO support for your device. Follow the guides on the intranet and connect to Citrix.. or don't, we don't care.

Of course, people still demand support arguing that "I saved us $1500 buying my own MacBook, you're SAVING COMPANY MONEY by spending five hours setting it up for me!".
No. gently caress Off. Take this Company Issued Laptop if you want support.
This is the BYOD policy I am trying to push through right now, but I also added that IT will have full access to the devices and we are not liable for any damage done to the device even if we caused it. Oh, the security updates we forced you to accept on your brand new $700 cell before you could access our email, they bricked it? Sucks to be you.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Bigass Moth posted:

Wow your company sounds like a lovely place to work if you break someone's phone and don't take responsibility.
Its not as if we force them to use a personal phone for our email. Everyone that is required or has a legitimate reason to have email on their phone is given a company phone. For everyone else we have a web interface they can access email if they want. if they still want to attach company email to their private phone, and their boss OK's it, they have to take their chances.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Thanks Ants posted:

If your phone system doesn't give me a list of options that I can press a button to navigate through, wants me to say in plain English what the issue is and then fails to match it 5 times, you're drat right I'll be mashing the 0 key.
Try this in our phone tree and you get sent back to the first menu.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Agrikk posted:

I would do murder upon discovering this.

Long, drawn out, painful, grisly murder.
I would too. I warned them when it was first set up, but the CS manager was to busy giggling over how great it was to pay attention. At least I don't have to deal with the fall out though

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Sirotan posted:

With the amount of almost daily bullshit that I have to put up with with our Ricoh techs, I'd welcome having someone on my staff be responsible for printers. I'd know where they are going to be and when, and if they were dicks to our staff we could fire their rear end instead of doing nothing because Ricoh won't give me contact information for their regional service managers, and we're locked into a contact.
we were in a similar situation, with completely lovely service and around 18 months left on our contract with Ricoh. We decided to shop around and found a local company that deals with Sharp; they have a plan, or at least did, where Sharp would buy out your old contract if you signed a new one with them.

E: not sure how many MFD's you have, but we replaced 11.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Why yes I am IT,
But no longer the desk,
Why not send them an email?
Yes that would be best.

You "pinged" them you say,
And had no reply?
Who else will fix it?
No one else but I.

So tell me just now
The issue you had?
And let me assure you,
It can't be that bad.

You pressed on this icon?
Click
Click
Click
Click
But no paper comes out
Not even a lick?

Like all good IT
I start from the start,
And check that the printer
Is set as default.

Next I look to the tray,
And click on the spool
Alas it is empty
I do feel the fool

Everything here
It looks like its right
So I walk to the printer
"Could you turn on that light?"

I pull up the top
No toner depleted,
I look in the drawer
There is paper to feed it.

Issues we've had
In the past with this type
So lets cut to the chase
And avoid all the hype

Crack open the panel
The ram is well seated
Not sure what to do
I may be defeated!

What is this then
That catches my eye?
Something is amiss
And also awry

A card with no lights
Not a blink to be seen
I will check that out next,
What else can be gleaned?

I follow the cable,
Straight to the patch
But before I get far
I find a small catch

For the cable you see,
Between printer and jack
Has somehow been cut
Straight through and in half!

"Well now" I say
"I have found whats amiss
Does anyone know
What happened to this?"

No answers are had
Four people stand silent
But they see from my look
I am about to get violent

"It's not us to blame"
one engineer squeaks
"It must have been IT
When you fixed it last week!"

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Agrikk posted:

A potential paycheck came in...

A friend of a friend found the web site for my sole-proprietorship moonlighting gig and wants me to build a SQL Server 2014 Cluster on a pair of Windows Servers in a VMware/UCS environment and then support it on 1099 retainer rather than an hourly billing. While I've done a ton of moonlighting work, this will be one of the first times on over a decade that I'll be asked to stand something up at this scale and then maintain it. It will be for a call-logging application for a retail chain of approximately two thousand stores nationwide @ 800 calls daily each.

I typically charge $150-200 an hour for infrastructure and architecture work and figure on 40 hours worth of prep, research, testing and whatnot to stand up the environment. Then a monthly 5 hours for patching and other maintenance (with a built-in overhead for being paged in 1-2 times a year when something goes tits up).

So $8, 000 to stand up a database cluster and a monthly $1,000 to support it.

Does this sound reasonable, considering I'll have to pay self-employment taxes and whatnot at 40%? Too much? Too little? What am I failing to consider?

All hardware, software and licensing fees to be provided. I bill just for labor and maintenance.
If I were in charge of purchasing software to monitor, track, log and report on 1.6 million calls a day spread out over 2000 locations, and someone quoted me 8k to build it and 1k a year in support, I would not take that person serious.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Nerdrock posted:

His post makes it look like he's being paid to stand up the servers and get SQL going. I'd assumed the actual software (that's probably expensive) was coming from somewhere else.
After looking at it again you are probably right.

My apologies Agrikk, i misread your original post. having said that, 8k/1k still seem pretty low to me.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in.

And by "ticket," I mean the new extremely creepy anchor that started last week came in and began rubbing my shoulders and then rubbed his head on my back while moaning "My GIMP doesn't work. I need my GIMP to work!" before walking away.

He did this in front of the GM and no one batted an eye. I am really creeped out right now.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a drat sight. I'ma get medieval on your rear end.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
All the printer talk got me wondering, so I walked up to our admin offices to check the MFP situation. There is a spot where I can stand and actually see the doors that lead to 3 different MFP's, and a corner that has another right around it. That is for exactly 20 people, at least 14 of which have desktop printers. We just moved the 4th one up there; the justification for that was "What of one of the other ones stops working?".

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

kensei posted:

Adding to the OP, well done.
Hey I just noticed this. Thanks I feel kinda famous now!

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
There once was an Admin named Brad
Who thought authentication was just a big fad
So he rebooted AD
Because he just couldn't see
How doing so could be that bad

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Beamed posted:

D'aww :3: Did you thank him?
The kids only like 2 days old, he wont understand what thank you means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Probably not the right thread for this.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 2, 2017

• Locked thread