Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
hunter2 is a very secure password. What's the problem with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

spankmeister posted:

perhaps she is on phenazepam or some other hosed up russian research chem

If she was on phenazepam, everything she did makes perfect sense.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
21 Years, 2 Certs, 2 Degrees (Chemical Engineering...and History)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That's kind of how units in the US Military do it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I was supposed to have a conference call with my current contract employer in NYC this morning. Not happening now! Time for some Warframe while I wait until the lunacy dies down.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
All of it. A friend of mine worked IT for a New York agency that wound up with a hospital group as their primary client. He had been working for the agency for eight years; he quit eleven months after the contract started.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

I sometimes kind of miss the degauss button. :unsmith:

Long ago I found a monitor in a server closet that had been sealed off for at least ten years just glowing away. Not counting the command prompt burn in, the thwack sound that screen made when I pressed the button was righteous.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

The Server of Amontillado?

Yeah. it was an OS/2 backup email server that had been been walled off when the cube farm was reconfigured and the hallway was changed apparently. We found it while assigning static IPs after we expanded the offices and started conflicting with it. Nobody currently at the company had been there from the time when the server was concealed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I have a MSI U-100 with about the same specs, that I still use all the time. Works perfectly and the battery lasts forever for just writing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nuggan posted:

The computer ate him. He's like the electric gremlin now, invading your network and will be causing all sorts of problems in the nearby future. Get some extra firewalls up.

Horace Pinker lives!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Just donated to them (through the ISC). We need clocks that work.

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/DonatingToTheProject

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

neogeo0823 posted:

The best part about cleaning, by far, is that hearing protection is "recommended" in the cleaning area, due to a loud air hose being used to quickly dry the cleaned parts. Why is this good? Because while I'm busting through a dozen totes and all the associated parts, I am totally allowed and encouraged to wear my over-the-ear headphones and zone out to some :krad: beats.

I just discovered Caravan Palace a few weeks ago. I still can't get Lone Digger out of my head. You know, gently caress it, have a link (NSFW due to blood and curvy animated anthro women)

Holy poo poo I'd never heard of them before! Thanks man.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

It was Windows 95's "OSR2" release that brought in the first USB support from Microsoft - remember that USB wasn't released to the public until Spring 1996. Users with the earlier plain release of Windows 95 or the intermediate OSR1 release could get USB support from third party drivers or a patch you could order from Microsoft, and was later available from Microsoft online.

That said, Windows 3.1 can use USB, but it goes through various third party and hobbyist drivers (there's also a USB stack for plain old DOS, so you can even use USB there). Trying to get the additional drivers for things beyond mass storage, keyboards and mice though, that's the real challenge!

Also, Windows 3.1 did support networks, in that Microsoft had a networking stack available to plug drivers into, since there'd been networking stuff in DOS dating back to the 3.x versions or so. Windows for Workgroups' 3.1 and 3.11 big thing was that it supported file and printer sharing over SMB, much like Windows still uses today - the non-For Workgroups 3.1 and 3.11 couldn't do this without third party software.

Also if you're wondering what the difference between 3.1 and 3.11 is:
For regular Windows, 3.11 was just a bugfix patch release of 3.1 without any new features. All copies of 3.1 sold after fall 1993 were the 3.11 version.
For Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, 3.11 added 32 bit file and network access functionality which sped up access speeds. They also improved the disk caching system, and dropped support for CPUs older than the 386.

This all means that 3.11 for Workgroups is the 3.x version of Windows you'd want to run now if you had to run a 3.x windows.

I have a DOSBox install of 3.11WfW on my phone so I can freak people out by launching Photoshop on it. It's only Photoshop 3.0, but it works just fine.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Ed, the guy that posted that, is in his high 60s-early 70s and is not a tech guru. The thread in the Firing Range is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3715362 and yes that is a.585 Express Cartridge based round. They are gigantic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Dell 1280x1024 19" crew checkin' in...

I use one of those in portrait mode for keeping documentation up

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

GreenNight posted:

AD managed by a single Windows Server 2000 Dell box in a closet somewhere connected by a single cat5 10-Base2 cable.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I seem to remember hearing that MS has a patch group just for supporting ancient OSes for the Department of Defense.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

drat right. Two of those saved me hours every night for the offsite backups.

I've got a 2 GB Jaz attached to one of my G4 Towers for no good reason now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Renegret posted:

Our newly acquired branch halfway across the country has been given access to our test ticketing system. They've been making the silliest, most nonsense test tickets I've ever seen and I've been laughing hysterically at them all day. They're making the kind of tickets I've always wanted to make in our test environment but never had the balls to, even in non-production.

I opened a ticket trying to open a dialogue between us so I can offer to buy drinks.

Years ago when I was still doing Games QA and Project Management, we were building an in-house bugtracking system. We needed a sample project for testing this system, and as we were the outsource test and compatibility house for Hasbro Interactive and GT Interactive, we had a gently caress-ton of graphic assets from both those companies projects. So our Test Project was Glover vs. Predator. By the end of the dev cycle on the bugtracker we had generated about 1500 tickets and they had some of the silliest descriptions and steps to repeat. I'll try to find my archive of them along with the GvP box art our documentation team mocked up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Collateral Damage posted:

Making PDF editable in the first place was a mistake.

Counter-point. Fixing a contract right before it was emailed, with the guy who wrote it having gone on vacation with his laptop that had the original on it where a zero was missed in the agreed on price.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sefal posted:

I have the same experience as MF_James except that my mother is completely computer illiterate to the point she has trouble copy pasting stuff.
But it's my mother so I don't mind helping out. Whenever I need my family they are always there for me. So giving computer support is fine. I draw the line at extended family though.

That's my mother as well. She is in her 80s though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

devmd01 posted:

I said gently caress it and went with the discounted small business version for now because gently caress re-uploading 600gb of data on a 2mbps upload.

That said I'll likely go with backblaze down the road, seems to be the next best option.

Same. I have 8 TB of stuff uploaded and do not want to go through that pain again.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Collateral Damage posted:

RE: A ticket came in: I text you on this e-mail address, because I got it it with my soft.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sirotan posted:

A job offer came in.

:derp:

Pinniped on the move!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I need a new key too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kurieg posted:

printers Scanners

CAT Scan that poo poo fast.

• Locked thread