Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's really too bad that they just delete threads when they're done.

Subject: Thread deleted
Priority: Critical

Please restore immediately, this is affecting production!!!!1

Shalhavet posted:

It's in the Comedy Goldmine.
:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

pixaal posted:

We'd close the door but it doesn't open from the inside.

It sure would be a shame if someone called the fire marshal about this.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The "Subject EOM" email is not a big deal to me, when it gets used properly. It becomes a problem when a chain of emails starts with the "Subject EOM" still attached. It says EOM, so I don't bother reading it until I realize there are 10 with that subject.

I'd only use it with someone I work with often, for something like "Left package for you under your desk EOM" or "Working from home today EOM" where a message body wouldn't really add anything. However, now that I work someplace that has a IM system that people actually use, I'd probably use that instead.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I used to edit their login script, adding 'banner I am an idiot' or something like that.

I'd also set their wallpaper to this, especially at the end of the day:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My favorite part is the USB Hard Drive.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Sweet lord. :stare:

I have always called it the pipe because I have used Linux since I was 10. :psyduck:

cat ${SOME_DOC} |grep ${SOME_WORD}

You PIPE the output of cat ${SOME_DOC} to grep and search for instances of ${SOME_WORD}

code:
grep ${SOME_WORD} ${SOME_DOC} 
:goonsay:

I had a boss that chastised anyone who used cat where it wasn't needed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Your client has bigger problems than just copying, then...

I sounds like copying was not a problem there. :colbert:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Standalone pop-up blockers still exist? I thought every browser already comes with that feature.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

The Electronaut posted:

My favorite a couple years ago straight out asked me to lie on my resume.

At least they asked. I had one just "edit" my resume and send it on to a hiring manager.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I worked on a printer that had 3 power switches. One was in the rear, next to the power cord and doubled as a circuit breaker. The second was behind the front panel. The third was under the H-transport. I'm pretty sure the finisher had it's own power switch too, as did the high capacity feeder if that was installed. Then there was the optional DFE, which would have its own power switch, and the power save button on the UI.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Oddhair posted:

KeePass Droid only supports 1.x files, last I checked, but they're still very secure. IIRC when you make the DB it figure out how many rounds of encryption your CPU can do in one second and uses that many, but you can just arbitrarily bump it to crazy values as well. I did this once when I had the HTC G1 (aka the Original Android phone) and decryption was something like a 20-second process.

KeePassDroid works with 2.x now.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
:phone: Did you know we have a website? You should probably go on the website instead of calling us you dummy!

Yes, I checked it first and it told me I had to call, you jerks.

And then there's this song that played before every single conference call at my old job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyLZablbRpE

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I called Southwest today, and the interjection message was just "test test test test". I was only on hold for a minute longer, so it was fine.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

good jovi posted:

We have an xmpp server locally and nobody has any complaints, but we just started using slack and are really digging it. And I just noticed that I'm basically parroting their marketing copy, but it's not bad. To be honest, I think we're just using it because it inlines gifs, but I'm ok with that.

We also use slack. I like dropping code in and having it format. It also does a pretty good job of syncing read states across multiple devices.

We were using Skype before, which was crashing multiple times a day. Anything that doesn't crash was good enough for me.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Did some googling, found:

I don't have any Xerox machines at my physical location to test this on though.

That or some variation on it will work on lots of models. Just don't muck around too much, you can actually break the machine with some of the settings in there. The more expensive the machine, the more dangerous the settings get.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

vibur posted:

This simultaneously makes me feel better about my own situation and want to punch someone right in the mouth for making you go through that. What kind of moron thinks you can just willy-nilly dump foodforks down a garbage disposal?

Seriously, forks?

Sometimes it would be easier fix stuff in the office myself. When our sink was broken, the super came to look at it, said it was hosed, faked a phone call, and left.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
That's fine, my coworkers post enough dumb poo poo in the public slack channels that this wont matter.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

spiny posted:

Got an odd one - I look after a load (about 20 ... ) ADSL services at a managed office (each room has it's own ADSL service) and since the middle of last week, -some- of the tennants cannot access certain websites, speedtest.net being one.

If I go there with my own laptop and connect to the routers, I see the same thing, the webpage just times out. But I can ping it and tracert to it with no apparent issues. Other websites work fine. If I connect to other ADSL routers there, I see no problems (and get the same ping / tracert results)
I've factory rest the routers, tried different routers and this issue just won't go away.

Obviously the provider asked for pings and tracerts .... so are claiming 'no issue at our end'

I'm hoping it will just magically fix itself, but for the life of me I cannot work out why this is happening ?

I've tried the providers DNS servers and Googles, both timeout on the websites, However, if I use Opera and switch on 'turbo mode' I can suddenly get to all websites. I'm stumped.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html

Run that, see if anything fucky comes back.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

orange sky posted:

Guys, I need an opinion on something. I'm implementing stuff in a company and I need to write manuals for Helpdesk use. Is there any template that you guys found particularly easy to use? Any general guidelines? It's the first one I'm doing ever and I wanna do something good. I've got screenshots for every. drat. step. So what I'm looking for is a general structure (should I use tables with steps? something to differentiate what users must do and what helpdesk must do?). Thing is, what I'm doing might look comprehensible to me but I know every step by heart by now, so I'm not 100% sure someone else will understand what I mean.

I've always been of the opinion that if they can see the screen, screenshots are generally unnecessary. A feel-good checkpoint screenshot is OK. Otherwise if this is a call center, and the screen is on the other end of the phone, or the UI is so incomprehensible that it can't be described in words, then go nuts with screenshots.

Use a numbered list for steps and use sub-procedures. (Example: 1. Open an elevated command prompt. 1a. Select [Start]. 1b. Type etc. This way an experienced user can skip to the meat while no alienating novices.)

Experience is hard to fight. Go through your procedures and make sure everything you do is written down. If you're really trying hard, try to think of a way of doing it wrong that still fits in your instructions.

If there is more than one way to do things, pick one for the instructions, or explain how the user should choose if it matters. If you were writing instructions for the assembly of a chair, don't say "Attach either arm, and then the other", say "Attach the left arm, and then the right arm". Even though it probably doesn't matter, you will save your user a decision.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Well, time for work, better take off my pants.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
poo poo, I even got myself a Chromebook.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

THF13 posted:

So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, the best way to send money in the US is to scan a paper check, embed it in a word document, print to a pdf and email it?

I've actually had someone do this for me, I then uploaded the digital image to my bank to deposit it. At least I didn't print it out and use my phone camera to capture it.

This was after they tried going into a bank branch to deposit the check into my account. That didn't work, because it wasn't my bank. I know it wasn't my bank, because it's online only. Why they didn't just do direct deposit, like they had done for the 100's of paychecks before, is beyond me.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

But what would you use for a token? Good luck getting everyone to remember to lug around a keyfob/keycard/subdermal implant. You know that everyone else will just log in for the people who forgot their details.

Smart phone? Or even a dumbphone that can get a text message.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Ahem.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

evol262 posted:

MO was awesome

I only ever saw an CD/MO combo drive once, it connected to a Parallel port! Didn't have any MO media though.

However, pictured above is a CD caddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Xerox. And I'm not sure if it's purely a regional thing, but it locks printers out of using metered toner cartridges (that we don't pay for) when they're supposed to be using stand-alone carts.

For Xerox Toner, Metered is basically another region. For the printer, it has a region, and a flag for Metered y/n. Generally, a non metered printer can't used metered toner, but a metered printer can use standard or metered toner.

• Locked thread