Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Agrikk posted:

I can just see you walking into a L&D OR: The women is up on the table, feet in stirrups and sees you walk in. "You aren't my regular doctor."

"No ma'am. I'm IT. This laptop over in the corner can't print and it's of CRITICAL IMPORTANCE and it's AFFECTING PRODUCTION so I have to take care of it now. I hope you don't mind while I download windows updates...?"

This is how speculum bucket accidents happen. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

kensei posted:

On a scale of One to "Oh Dear God No," how badly do I not want to be the SharePoint Administrator?
Look around you, which can you reach first, all of the liquor or a loaded pistol?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
as long as he yelled "CLEAR" as he executed the script, I'm 100% okay\

Edit: Damnit Jim, I'm a Computer Janitor, not a Doctor!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I need to know how many calls/emails/live-animals-nailed-to-your-door there've been from The Old Job.

I'm more interested in how many zeros are on the check they offer you for outside consulting in a month week on Wednesday when the office is burning down. Please do the needful and keep us informed of all contact.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

pr0digal posted:

Then you get to the gun photos and jade helm and 9/11 photos :catstare:

So much for my troll account hypothesis.

Was going to post this. Now I'm going to make a Markov Chain account of this twitter account and see which is more :catdrugs:

My money is on bot account making more sense than the dude. :stonk:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
:justpost: :justpost:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

pr0digal posted:

I'll keep that in my back pocket for Windows but this is on Mac. The solution is
code:
sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1
This will gray out the sleep option in the Apple menu.

There is also
code:
pmset -a sleep 0 disksleep 0
But that doesn't stop the fuckers from sending the machine to sleep themselves. Sleeping machines cause files to become locked with makes other machines on the SAN very angry when listing directories.

That's a thing huh? I had this issue come up with some users last week, design dpt of 5 Macs, "random file locking issue, can't rename or move folders"

All use InDesign/Adobe etc all use finder in column view with previews enabled. All my research indicated this was one of the leading culprits. I may need to make a phone call tomorrow..

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
"Red Rover, Red Rover, send a RAID rebuild right over"

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So uh.. you still work there huh? :catstare:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'd think there'd be offsite backups to negate this kind of thing.

This sounds like someone managed to get the entire network crypto'd instead of a handful of machines and the hackers worked out what kind of prize they'd bagged by pure chance. Assuming the CEO's not telling massive lies, of course.
Implying he isn't the one responsible for it in the first place. Because last I checked clicking on any link and typing in your credentials to "reset your natwork account" or attachment in an email is something you're far more likely to do the higher up the org chat you are.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
"Your honor it's not my fault that the idiot admin who still thinks it's okay to run Novell and Server NT decided to wire the whole school with hubs"

:shrug:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The same people still using VBA macros

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Kyrosiris posted:

A ticket update came in.

"I WANT MANAGER TO TELL ME HOW <Kyrosiris> THINK HE HAVE RIGHT TO DISABLE IP JUST BECAUSE DO NOT ANSWER TICKET"

I'm this tempted to just drop links to our TOS and Abuse policy.

Are you the guy that works in hosting?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

flosofl posted:

Still can't require you to work unpaid. So don't.
"Other duties as necessary" eat poo poo catchall provision in job description.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I wish an anti-virus would quarantine posts in this thread :smith:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

pixaal posted:

It mentions that it makes an event in the event log. What is the Event ID?

8125, I think he added that in an edit.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I just drank the last of my Stoli Elite...

I'll fix that tomorrow. In the meantime I have my Bulleit Rye Whisky.
Finally someone with a half decent opinion itt. Bulleit is great, though bourbon > rye

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
an e-waste shipment came in, anyone have the CE's phone/address so I can send him a new terastation?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Who was the goon who made the FRSM anti crypto powershell script? I think the latest version with the Chinese and Russian filenames broke it on 2008. That or I'm bad at powershell, but that can't be it :v:

Nexxi

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to get the minion out of your hair for a few days by having him bring a pallet of iPads into the nearest Fruit Stand.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Khisanth Magus posted:

It would be hilarious to show up at an apple store with a trunk completely full of locked ipads, a bunch of receipts, and say "Get to it fruit boy."
Just don't wear your TSA uniform in... :yarr:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So you're :yotj: hunting right? Stop posting, start looking.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Why don't you just fix your password script and tell everyone that a system glitch occurred and their password is what was communicated.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

TheShazbot posted:

Do you have a source for this? It would explain why suddenly my printer deployment group policy, among other things no longer works.

See https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2016/07/05/who-broke-my-user-gpos/
Also: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2016/06/22/deploying-group-policy-security-update-ms16-072-kb3163622/

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Document, document, document. Labor offices love nothing more than being handed a stack of papers meticulously detailing violations, less work for them! Then enjoy your pay day after you do eventually find a new job!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
What do you mean. They have a Service Larches Agreement. They pay him peanuts and expect him to thank them for the job.. :confused:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

larchesdanrew posted:

:shepicide: WELP I DUN GOOFED Y'ALL :shepicide:

I'd like to imagine your avatar is literally you as you hoof it to your truck in the lot after work today.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hold music chat: I just discovered today that the hold music at my new job at this cafe is loving Opus Number 1.
You can thank Cisco for that; Ira Glass did an interesting story on it on This American Life a while back.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Super Slash posted:

Ignoring the nutso request, more scanners and MFP's need to implement loving LDAP and stuff, global address book search is awesome compared to constantly being whined at because someone's name isn't on a scanner list.
Corollary, I just spend the last 3 days arguing with someone who didn't want LDAP lookup on the new MFC. She wants to manually input every user into the address book because.... reason? Job security I guess? :iiam:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

GreenNight posted:

Wait until the users that do have iphone 7's lose their special headphones and they expect the company to fork over the money for a replacement pair.

They're not special headphones, they're the normal earpod ones with a 3.5mm headphone jack. :iiam:

there is a 3.5mm to lightning adapter though :ssh:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

GreenNight posted:

Ah okay.

I'm curious on those new cases that add the headphone jack back.

They're just like the Mophie cases. They have a 3.5mm jack that is wired into the lightning port.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
adding .mdb and .accdb to the DFSR filter was one of the happiest days of my life.

Adding it to FSRM may top that :getin:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Hail satan Lexmark

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The built in Remote Connection or whatever is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Download Microsoft Remote Desktop from the App Store (it's got a red-orange icon) and use that.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Gealar posted:

I hadn't heard of that before, but it does make sense why the letters would be disappearing after reading the article. The fix was to install office on the print server and get the newest calibri font installed on it as well.

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk: This is some :catstare: level poo poo here

mewse posted:

If you know what's going on inside the printer drivers on a Windows server I'd like to hire you as my company's printer expert

yeah, you and everyone else :homebrew: will be Thanks Ants after just one month

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thanks Ants posted:

How much is the advise of "throw all your printers away" worth?

Every dollar saved not being spent on printer support, plus the equivalent increase in quality of life improvement. Also the money saved by the company on health care not spent on repairing liver damage :can:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Tomie knows me posted:

I work at a healthcare advertising agency. How much whiskey should I drop off at our helpdesk?

Better find the contact info for your nearest distributor. Offer a buyout sight unseen and you'll be moving in the right direction.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ghostlight posted:

Well obviously I want it done the right way and you're the professional in the matter so obviously you know what that way is.

"Here is a quote for $xx,xxx to do it the right way then"

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

pixaal posted:

Ticket: I leaned over and my tits flipped the computer

Great way to start the day!

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand. Can you reproduce the issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Javid posted:

*I* am for it, the only time I've actually been an early adopter to a new cable standard; I've been putting scratches deep enough to feel into the "front" side of my phone and tablet charger plugs on the device end so I can plug them in blind at night and now I don't have to. But I foresee many ways people will still find to gently caress it up.

Nah they removed the headphone jack, remember?

• Locked thread