Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LethalGeek posted:

Holy poo poo, for real? I did enough programing in college but was way more in a hardware course. I can do all the things they mention there still off the top of my head. Ok I'd have to think about it cause it's been years but I feel I can answer all that.

I've written a few actual programs since college either for MMO poo poo or when I get a wild hair at work to fix some minor thing like hey lets find a way to extract from Outlook contacts & emails to import to Jabber since for some bizarre reason this doesn't exist. It even had buttons and options! I honestly figured I was scrub tier and really I am but I shouldn't be in the top whatever percentile according to that post.

I say that and then while telling my GF about this explained how recursion worked off the top of my head over a decade out of college. Even gave an example. There are people with actual comp sci degrees who can't do this I'm...holy poo poo.

Same GF who fell into being a computer janitor and when I mentioned F in hex she who hates math least understood F was the highest cause of messing with colors. People with masters can't answer that?

Having been on the hiring end, poo poo is depressing.

Che Delilas posted:

Microsoft ended support for it in 2005, but it certainly did not die. I worked for a company that used it for its software development (not a software business). One of the first things I did was propose to move to something relatively sane; the boss said VSS was perfectly adequate. After two incidents in the space of three months where it just lost 2 weeks' worth of code, he finally signed off on moving our code to TFS. This was in 2013.

My favorite part, other than the aggressive instability, was its concept of branching. Make a new branch off of main, make edits to that branch, and VSS helpfully updated main for you! How loving CONVENIENT. Maybe that was a configuration option and some idiot had at some point set it up that way, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the point of that was.

My first job out of college used VSS. Because the very concept of source control wasn't raised in that school (AND STILL ISN'T BEING!!!) I didn't understand how fundamentally awful the concept of "mandatory atomic locking for files" was.

At my next job, which used subversion, I asked how Armageddon doesn't happen if two people try to change the same thing since they can both work on the same file at once :ohdear:

I wish I could go back in time and prevent VSS from ever being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MANime in the sheets posted:

How does that work?

You resolve the merge conflict (e.g. https://help.github.com/articles/resolving-a-merge-conflict-using-the-command-line/)and move on with your life. Any version control with branching and merging will do this, typically without any impact to the end developer if the changes aren't in the same place, and build servers will ensure that even if you don't cleanly merge you'll know about it promptly.

This has been a solved problem for decades before I started working at that place, they were just stuck in the past.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

spankmeister posted:

$5 haircuts sounds like a good deal

Seriously, were the haircuts good or what you'd expect for $5? Way to bury the lede

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Renegret posted:

Thankfully I don't talk to customers.

But at this point in my career nothing would surprise me. I got some loving stories.

:justpost:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's not that crazy a request. It's good and bad news is that they want you to spend your last 2 weeks documenting as much as you're able. Good that they want the info, bad that there wasn't a culture where that existed already.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was at a conference and the speaker said that when he gets jobs to unfuck IT departments, the first thing he does is run a script that removes local admin access from all end-user computers.

The people who showed up at the IT office steaming angry were identified as potential problems.

While developers always are potential problems, we also do actually need local admin to do our jobs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

What in devops says you have to develop on your local, physical workstation rather than a virtual workstation that you can easily nuke and redeploy when it inevitably becomes too cluttered?

I'm not creating a VM to install my IDE and SDKs to just because I want to keep my main work station tidy or whatever that reasoning is here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

:shrug: What kind of environment do you run where clicking a VM template is a burden?

What kind of brain do you have where you decide that you need to use "The email computer" now?

It depends on the work you do, but I'm happy not having "Maybe it's some weird interference from the VM?" be a part of my "why the gently caress is this mysteriously failing now despite every configuration being triple checked and correct?" troubleshooting.

Then again, I also do mobile development so I don't need to worry about having the exactly perfect version of Java installed for some particular arcane service, so there's that. I could understand this being a problem if you had to install some cornucopia of different versions of packages of software, but I don't and this isn't an issue for me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm sort of curious what happens if someone security minded takes the link and uses curl to download it. Does it count as a hit, or is someone smart enough to capture the user agent and see whahaha who am I kidding.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

spog posted:

(Sorry, can't find a more suitable thread, but you're a helpful bunch)

Am going on a trip and expect to take a lot of photos (assume 5-10GB every couple of days).
As well as backing up to a second medium, if possible, I'd like to back up the cloud, but my Win10 tablet has a small drive on it - smaller than the SD cards I will be using.

Assuming that the hotels have a decent enough internet connection, which of the cloud services have a decent web interface that will allow me to drag from an SD card to a browser and start an upload without having a local copy on my tablet drive, and will gracefully handle it if I have to stop the transfer halfway through and let me do start it again the next day without making multiple copies, or insisting that I start from the beginning all over again?

I'm a big fan of Google Photos, as long as the browser can see the filesystem you're fine. There's a program you can download to handle syncing though I haven't played with it much.

But really, my dude, why aren't you just using rsync?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AlexDeGruven posted:

"Deployments for <product> are going to be delayed due to a licensing issue with the vendor"

"Is someone actively working on the licensing issue?"

No, you dumb poo poo. We're just going to throw up our hands and say 'oh well!'

gently caress I hate devs.

You joke, but sometimes it's good to sanity check. It would be better phrased as "who is working on the licensing issue with <vendor>, and is there a rough estimate on when that will be resolved?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Boogalo posted:

Speaking of throwbacks, has anyone heard from Larches lately?

That's none of your concern.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Irritated Goat posted:

A ticket came in.

:derp: My Windows won't boot. I shut it off Friday while it was doing updates cause I wanted to leave.

:sigh:

Best part is, we just gave this guy this laptop 2 weeks ago.

To be fair, the fact that this is still a problem for Windows in 2017 is shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No software is going to like you killing it halfway through rewriting itself.

If only there was a way to write content to a storage device and then later specify the new address to use in an atomic operation that could be retried. Alas, scientists believe that using a different file path is at least 20 years away, and for now we must continue to overwrite content in place in a risky operation.

• Locked thread