Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Volmarias posted:

Also, I'd love to know what the next guy who discovers those pentium 2s thinks.

Haunted desktops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A complaint came in! Guys, what's the most tactful way for me to phrase this?

quote:

Dear client,
The part when you continued to complain after my apology and suggested steps for remediation was the exact point where I stopped caring about the whole issue.

Toodles,
JohnnyC, Team Lead of Support

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Stupid things I've done?

Set up automatic ticket creation via email without accounting for Out-Of-Office/Automatic replies.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

OwlFancier posted:

Has it ever failed with you around?

Because if not, he's unplugging it and claiming there's something wrong with the room because he wants to move rooms?

Alternatively: His desk setup is making him kick the wire.

Check to make sure in device settings that the USB root hub has the following setting unchecked:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I know I'm late to the party, but really, guys:

Buffonelo

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

quote:

Dear client,

You need to verify your log file. This file should give you enough information to find why the import is failing. I have seen this behaviour before, and generally it occurs due to incorrect formatting in your spreadsheet.

quote:

Hi Johnny,

PFA the log file, we don’t find any error.

Regards,

*opens log file*

quote:

ERROR 15-10 02:30:05,921 - Check for Error Results - Source folder/file [C:\Windows\system32\${JOBDIR}] can not be found!
INFO 15-10 02:30:07,518 - System_Setup - Job execution finished
INFO 15-10 02:31:01,127 - RepositoriesMeta - Reading repositories information from UDM:Config
INFO 15-10 02:31:01,257 - Support_Group - Start of job execution
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,611 - CTM_LoadSupportGroup - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,611 - CTM_LoadSupportGroup - Error initializing step [CTM_LoadSupportGroup]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,612 - CTM_LoadSupportGroupAlias - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,612 - CTM_LoadSupportGroupAlias - Error initializing step [CTM_LoadSupportGroupAlias]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,612 - CTM_LoadSGPOnCall - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,612 - CTM_LoadSGPOnCall - Error initializing step [CTM_LoadSGPOnCall]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,613 - CFG_LoadBusinessTimeWorkdays - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,613 - CFG_LoadBusinessTimeWorkdays - Error initializing step [CFG_LoadBusinessTimeWorkdays]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,613 - CTM_LoadSGPAssignments - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,613 - CTM_LoadSGPAssignments - Error initializing step [CTM_LoadSGPAssignments]
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,616 - CFG_LoadBusinessTimeHolidays - No file(s) specified! Stop processing.
ERROR 15-10 02:31:03,616 - CFG_LoadBusinessTimeHolidays - Error initializing step [CFG_LoadBusinessTimeHolidays]
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,907 - Support_Group - Step [CTM_LoadSupportGroup.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,907 - Support_Group - Step [CTM_LoadSupportGroupAlias.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,907 - Support_Group - Step [CTM_LoadSGPOnCall.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,908 - Support_Group - Step [CTM_LoadSGPAssignments.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,908 - Support_Group - Step [CFG_LoadBusinessTimeHolidays.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,908 - Support_Group - Step [CFG_LoadBusinessTimeWorkdays.0] failed to initialize!
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,915 - Support_Group - Error preparing the transformation
ERROR 15-10 02:34:23,915 - Support_Group - fakeservername.exception.KettleException:
We failed to initialize at least one step. Execution can not begin!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I quite like Trillian.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Khisanth Magus posted:

I used to really like trillian. It really sucks these days though.

I dunno. As a cross-platform unified messaging service where I can start a conversation on one device and continue it on another (i.e. start chatting on my laptop and then move seamlessly to my smartphone) It's pretty handy. Also the fact that it unifies all my notifications for my social media accounts and my email accounts is pretty great. It doesn't consume a lot of resources and the crazy skin stuff is gone. I bought a lifetime Pro account a few years ago and don't regret it at all.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Inspector_666 posted:

I still have Pidgin auto-launching on startup at home. Facebook chat stopped working with it though, so I am finding less and less of a reason to bother.

Also, the floor of the NYSE is soundtracked by AIM chat pings.

...Facebook chat works with Trillian!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in: Outlook is crashing

An employee sent out a company-wide email, a newsletter with graphics in it. Shortly after, we started getting calls from all over reporting that Outlook was crashing.

We determined that the message was causing Outlook to crash. I applied Windows & Office (2013) updates to one user's computer, rebooted, same issue.

Had all affected people delete the message either in Outlook (Safe Mode), or OWA, or on their smartphones. Outlook worked normally after that.

Now, to find why it only affected some people and not (for example) me.

Lynxifer posted:

You might want to check out if you've installed KB3097877, apparently this is causing the issue you've outlined

go3 posted:

Yeah this is exactly it.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Thanks! Looks like a strong case for the culprit.

Thanks, all. You saved us probably an hour of busywork this morning!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Apparently Microsoft pushed out a new version of that KB late last night to fix their first mess. Haven't had time to test it out yet but it should be fixed now.

I tested at 9 this morning EST and it was still causing issues.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

quote:

Sent: November-15-15 9:32 PM
To: Organization
Subject: Internal Ticketing System Shutdown: 10PM Tonight
Importance: High

Hi everyone,

At 10 PM tonight (Eastern, in case you're somewhere else), I'll be bringing our production ticketing system down to apply some minor changes. If you are in the system prior to 10PM, I'll ask you to:

1. Save your work and exit the system
2. Evaluate the poor life choices that led you to be in the system at 10PM on a Sunday night.

I'll send a further update once the system is back up.

Thank you!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

quote:

Why was this issue closed? It has not been resolved.

The automated closure email the client received posted:

Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 11:09 AM
To: Client
Subject: Incident closed *ref#24-32089093

Incident # 32089093 has been Closed. Below is a description of your ticket.

If you feel this issue has not been resolved, please reply to this email and your ticket will be re-opened.

Ticket details:
Open Date: 18/12/2015 10:22:03 AM
Close Date: 18/12/2015 11:08:12 AM

Subject Description: Workflow Automation

Incident Description: Seems to be a loop in our workflow

Incident Resolution: Duplicate ticket, see Incident # 32089072

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

hihifellow posted:

8 printers a-prinERR 49.4c02

I love you

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Re: ServiceNow

ServiceNow is currently being sued by BMC for infringing on Remedy code and patents... Because SNOW was put together by old Remedy developers.

It'll probably take a few years, but I get the feeling BMC isn't going to go for a settlement here. They want SNOW dead.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Kurieg posted:

I used to Altar serve at my church growing up, and I'm not sure what was in the incense they used, but it would throw me for a loving loop. No one else I talked to at the church was affected but I'd get light headed, have trouble standing straight, and start hallucinating.

Same minus the hallucinations.

Nobody came in to the office today!

Granted we're getting 50cm/20 inches of snow in the course of 12 hours, but still!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in! Client is having an issue with a specific report for their web-based ticketing system. This often means that the data in one of their DB tables has somehow been corrupted. Welp, reasonably simple fix. We asked the client to stop Tomcat on their webserver last night to prevent incoming connections in order to take a SQL backup of their DB. At that point, they can run a script we've prepared to clean out the table.

What the client's "admin" actually did:

1. Logged on to the webserver
2. Updated Java*
3. Tried to copy C:\Program Files to... somewhere?
4. Called that a "backup"
5. Did... something... with the prepared script. We're still not sure what.

*...and when I say "updated Java", I mean installed a brand new JDK. Without reconfiguring Tomcat to use the new JDK/JRE variables.

We only found out about all this this morning after they'd already been down for 3 hours. Then we got this wonderful email from their CIO

quote:

Based upon the information received this morning a JAVA update needed to be performed prior backing up our database. <$OUR_"ADMIN"> communicated that she attempted to perform this process last night an was unsuccessful. When attempting this morning, the process disabled all users in the organization.

Our team is unaware of what potential updates will affect the Apache Tomcat server when attempting to perform a restart of services.

<$OUR_"ADMIN"> with the assistance of <$YOUR_SUPPORT_DESK> will be responsible for performing the updates once we are aware of them. There is no way of knowing of the update until the service has been stopped and tried to be restarted and receive the error unfortunately.

Oh hell no. No no no. You aren't throwing us under the bus on your admin's mistake. I quickly drafted a reply to their CIO

quote:

1) The instructions sent to <$YOUR_"ADMIN">, and then confirmed to her verbally, absolutely do not mention performing any kind of a Java upgrade. In a server environment, Java should be configured (and was so done during the initial installation) so that it does not upgrade automatically, and so either it was misconfigured by one of your resources or an update was triggered manually by one of your resources.

2) We received no communications from <$YOUR_"ADMIN"> last night. I have verified in our received email and call logs, and nothing was sent to us. We can't assist if we don't know there's a problem!

3) We cannot be responsible for updates/upgrades in YOUR server environment: we can advise ahead of time if YOUR server administrator requests it of us, but such upgrades are beyond the scope of your support package, and absolutely the responsibility of the server administrator.

I hope this information helps,
JohnnyC

(Again, we're support for a particular software ticketing/ITSM suite. We're not an MSP.)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

MiniFoo posted:

A picture came in:

Zoom and enhance!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Siochain posted:

VESA video port, I think?
poo poo, been a while for me to. I first started loving up computers with a 486/sx 25. The memories.

386 SX with 2 whole megs of RAM.

I wrote a menu system for my various DOS executables using Turbo Pascal.

Ahhh, memories.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Judge Schnoopy posted:

CE is going to connect dots here and come to one logical conclusion; Larches must be stopped with extreme prejudice.
*Terminator theme*

CE: Your clothes: give them to me.

*CE squirrels them away in the workroom*

CE: I might need those later.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Malek posted:

I want to know what's on this tape..

Probably a snuff film.

SEVEN

DAYS

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yesterday, our CFO demanded one of the company's PhotoShop licenses for use on her laptop.
Today: "Does anyone know how to use PhotoShop?"

Apparently it's not for anything work-related, so marketing's graphic designer won't help her. Therefore: time to visit IT and Support!

WTF

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in!

quote:

"Our parent company made us install database security software that sits between our database and anything querying the database and now app performance is slower."

Yep. That'll happen.

(I honestly feel sorry for the guy. Everything has to be super-secure even if it doesn't contain sensitive data, because what if something happened and sensitive data ended up in there??!?! Causes a hell of a mess for their company, but there's not much we can do about it.)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Honestly? I really like 10. It has a few idiosyncrasies, but every OS does. It seems to run a lot smoother and with a bit less overhead than even 7 did.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm supposed to be traveling to Ithaca to see my new nephew this morning, but instead I'm working on a SYSTEM DOWN.

The client's network crew made some DNS changes last night, "but nothing that should have affected the webapp! Your program is broken!"

Well, I've confirmed with the application admin that all the services are running, no Windows Updates have been applied, and the application itself has had no changes whatsoever.

2 hours later, I've had it. "Let's remove SSL from the equation and just try logging in with HTTPS - OH LOOK THAT WORKED." :colbert:

"...Maybe we have a problem with our new certificate."

"Maybe you do. And maybe you should have mentioned your new certificate earlier."

Fortunately, We just provide support for their helpdesk software. Networking and cert management? That's their problem.

Ugh.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
This showed up on Prime Day deals and I had to share.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 12, 2016

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

quote:

We are not able to search the current published KA's and even two days back published articles and there versions are not searchable.
Rest all the searhc/global search are working fine but only impact is with the recent published KA's.

Please provide your valuable input on the same ASAP and will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

AA

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

spog posted:

21 simultaneous notes?

You can totally do that.

If you are a dude.

use your nose

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Buy "Time Management for System Administrators"

Isn't that a brand of bourbon?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Y'know what's not a good time to call me in order to give me an update on a client Incident? During a funeral. A funeral you knew I was going to.

Thank god I had my phone on silent.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

An all-staff email came in...

Seems the company is going to drop a one-time bonus - 3% of your 2016 total wages per W-2 - as a separate check on 30 Dec (final 2016 payday), which is already buffed slightly in that it's the 3rd payday of the month and thus no medical deduction. :woop:

I expect this to mean no raise next year.

But, close to a full paycheck extra money, just in time to buy liquor for the long weekend... :getin:

Here's our all-staff email from today! :allears:

quote:

There have been some questions on this so to ensure that everyone is on the same page in regards to the Holiday Season and Office hours.

This week is a regular week with regular office hours. If you are not going to be here, you need to request vacation time from your Manager and your time off needs to be approved.

Also, even though we are “officially” closed next week (with the exception of On-Call Support), everyone is expected to check their voice mails and emails. If you do not currently have access, please ensure you speak to IT to get set up to use a VPN or your cell phone to check messages. This must be done before Wednesday. Below, I am sharing the previous information sent to everyone regarding the limitations of next week. Please keep in mind that the company is offering to be closed for the equivalent of 3 business days and NOT execute on its rights to charge back anyone vacation time. HOWEVER, as shared, it is with the expectation that you are available for business contact. If you are going to be “off grid” and unavailable for business contact with customers and colleagues, then you should be booking vacation days.

This is the announcement of the holiday change from earlier in the year.

Essential Service Days and Christmas Week (Q2-5)
Employees highly valued their essential service days, but were also highly in favour of being off between Christmas and New Year’s. So, we have decided to close the “physical” office between Christmas and New Years and these three business equivalent days along with the August Civic Holiday will become the new Essential Service Days. Easter Monday and Remembrance Day now become normal working days.

Staff will not be required to take vacation to be off over the December holiday week. But, if staff are going “off grid’ and are not available for business contact with customers and colleagues, they should book vacation time.

We will provide external Customer Support on the three business equivalent non-statutory days over the holidays and on the Civic Holiday. Support Staff that work these Essential Service Days will be provided with a premium of 1.5 days’ worth of pay or lieu time in addition to their regular pay.

If anyone needs further clarification, please contact HR.

So it's full regular working hours this week because Sales is gonna close so many deals on the afternoon of Friday, December 23rd.

So many deals, you guys.

So many.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Um, yes. I was (am?) an SDE designer and consultant for years. What do you want yo know, and is your Staff account flagged as a sysadmin in Permissions?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

pr0digal posted:

See also: they freaked out about having 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 show up in the DNS servers list on the computers.

Like what the literal gently caress? Have you never heard of using them as fallback DNS servers?

GOOGLE MIGHT STEAL COMPANY SECRETS

A real thing I heard once.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Oh sweet. I don't know if I'm flagged as sysadmin for this. Best way to check? And the two things right now are I can't have more than 3 queries open, the fourth just says you can't have more than 3 open then fails, but actually runs the query first. Is there a way to have a new query just open over an existing one? And if I use tab completion, it works fine, but auto complete in a field with auto filled connected fields won't fill the connected ones. Since I have a few frequent flyers for tickets already, that's unfortunate. Any way to address that?

Okay this was ages ago and I never got back to you, I'm really sorry! Do you have access to staff permissions? On a classic navigator bar, you'd look under System Administration --> Staff, open up your staff record, and use the action menu up top to check your Staff Permissions. Under "Additional Permissions", you can be set as a System Administrator or a Group Administrator.

For your second question: if you want more than 3 queries/QuickViews, open the Dashboard Manager (it's the gear icon above your dashboard), and click the "Rights" button. You can set the maximum allowable there. I'd hesitate to recommend going above 5 though, otherwise it slows everything the hell down the first time your dashboard loads.

Lemme know if you need screenshots for any of the above.

What version of the software are you running? 10.2 SP 5 came out before it was EoL'd, but I don't recommend taking it above SP4 (10.2.4.115).

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
HEY LARCHES WHAT'S COOL AT SCHOOL

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I thought you were talking about these guys, which have a pretty savage bite:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

oh rly posted:

You don't want a cloud solution, but ServiceNow offers legal case management.

http://www.servicenow.com/products/legal-service-management.html

Can't speak to it, but we use ServiceNow for IT Service Management. The user experience is all based on the support your company will put into it.

Ugh, ServiceNow. A product created by a bunch of former Remedy developers who learned nothing from Remedy development.

• Locked thread