Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Nah, they just hone in on the last bit if it rings true and go YES [THATS THE ONE] but omit that last part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Reminds me of that time when I was 8 years old and 'cleaning up' the computer.

:v: autoexec.bat? When something needs executing, I'll do it myself! *delete*

Dad wasn't too happy about that one.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

So would you say the laptop is running hot? :suicide:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

That last one is glorious. :allears:

I NEED TECH SUPPORT.................................................click

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Snuffman posted:

An unexpected conference call suddenly came in.

Company got gutted and IT got the chop. They're outsourcing! Whee!

Time to find a new job. :(

At least you get to laugh at them a few months down the road when they try to hire you back because the outsourced IT is poo poo. :shobon:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

A ticket came in...

Subject: "Excel files wont open"

User was having trouble opening excel files from her predecessor. It turns out that there are two decades worth of tax-related spreadsheets manually named with .xlw as the extension instead of .xls. Looking at the previous user referring to all his files as "Excel Workbooks," it seems he believed the proper extension was .xlw -- which is really an Excel workspace and pops up an confirmation dialogue upon opening stating that the file could be corrupted.

Thing is, there were 4,600 file in this folder, and many of them were legitimately *actual* .xlw files.

User was informed that it would be necessary to either spend a lot of time confirming each file's actual filetype and rename each, write a funky script to try to tell the difference between binary-format .xls and .xlw files, or just deal with hitting "OK" each time she (rarely) had to refer to one of these documents.

User pretended not to understand what I was saying. User holds a recent MS from a good school in a difficult field of study, yeah right. It wasn't until after I occupied her desk for fifteen minutes going through file after file opening, confirming the file type, and closing / renaming each until she gave up the chirade and said she'd rather just put up with the prompt.

Yeah, it's trivial to play chicken with a user. I wasn't behind on deadlines, however. I'm pretty sure their entire department is.

Reminds me of when I was back in highschool, a buddy for a biology assignment was saving our report as "Assignment.bas". When I asked him why he kept typing the file extension instead of just letting Word put .doc after it he replied: ":geno: well duh, it's a biology assignment."

:psyboom:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Usually these things pack themselves into a zip (sometimes password-protected with pw in the email) to evade AV. Renaming the file is never needed.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

:stare: Watching that physically hurt. I'm not cut out for support I guess.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

A wondrous state-wide road trip came in.

Apparently over the last few months, all of our various weather cameras from around the state began failing one by one.

I was not made aware of this. My supervisor was and, being him, decided to ignore the issue.

Out of 30+ cameras, we now have three sort of functioning.

Thus begins the adventure of driving from town to town checking out weather cameras. Every camera is located on top of some random building. One is on top of a retirement home that used to be a giant hotel 70 years ago. One is at a golf course. One is on top of a Hilton. One is literally just on a stick in the middle of loving nowhere.

Today we tackled golf course and Hilton. Get to golf course and camera can not be located on the network. Climb on top of, I wish I was joking, the golf cart charging garage and power cycle it. It boots up and looks like it's functioning fine. All the equipment looks to be in good order. Why isn't it on the network? Let's look at the cable... oh... it's been cut and is just sort of hanging out. Apparently the golf course was bought by a new owner and he sent some woefully underqualified lackey to clean up the mess of wires in the building, so he just cut them all. Welp. Gotta go run a new cable tomorrow.

Get to the Hilton in the next town and climb up on the godforsaken roof in 100 degree weather. Camera is functioning. Modem is connected. Router is routing. Plug into the router and check out the settings, and all the ports are still set correctly. Try to access the modem but fuuuuuuck Comcast and not letting you access modem settings. Turn on DHCP, go to xmyip, and... that's not our IP. They changed our static IP without notifying us. Thanks Comcast.

Two down, like, 28 more to go or something. At least I got some baller mexican for lunch.

Where will we go next? Who knows!

More please, I want to hear the many many ways every weather cam is hosed up. :allears:

:aaa: it just goes on and on! was this thing in a sawmill for 30 years?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Today, a ticket was closed.

Disclaimer: I'm a code monkey, not IT support.

Today I pushed some code to production that had been sitting in a feature branch for - wait for it - 14 months. I created the branch and wrote 99% of the new code in it in may 2014, and every time I brought it up to my supervisor, he'd make some excuse to put it off. He wanted to review it. I needed to test it more. He wanted to test it. He wasn't sure it was safe, or efficient, or even working at all. I gave a goddamn Powerpoint presentation to him and my tech lead manager about why it was important to the website and to me that we did this, what it did and what would have to change in any new code. I made it completely backwards compatible with the old code so only the bare minimum had to be rewritten. I even had a private talk with my tech lead manager about difficulties in working with my supervisor and the feature branch was one of the things he brought up as an example of his stubbornness.

Last week he was promoted away to another building and I was tasked with more responsibility. Two days later I resumed work on the feature branch and today I finally put it live. I didn't even ask for his permission.

:feelsgood:

(for those interested: I phased out the old, deprecated PHP mysql_* functions in favor of the modern PDO database handler.)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Anything that breaks in the next 14 months is because of your code.

I'm 100% ready for responsibility. Supervisor has taken it upon himself to review the code now (2 days after I put it live and nothing broke) and is throwing possible 'critical problems' my way every 5 minutes, none of which are actually critical or possible. I'm just happy that the hardest part is over.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

MrMojok posted:

How long has Cryptolocker been coming in through Flash vulnerabilities?

Probably a few months at least, but I'm willing to bet it shot up tenfold after the multiple Flash 0-days from the Hacking Team hack got into the wild.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

divabot posted:

I'd have thought it was a circle. I remember seeing my sister's PC a few years ago and immediately, intuitively understanding how it could be that 25% to 50% of PCs were botnetted. I think my brother-in-law had never seen a piece of crapware he didn't like. The hard disk was full because the recycle bin had never been emptied. Toolbars. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE iMACS WERE MADE FOR. The only thing saving them was they were on dialup (in 2010). Though they've since got broadband, so my mother (who also got broadband for this one use case) could Skype her grandchildren.

:stare: This is mythical.

I remember years ago a doctor colleague of my dad who had so much trouble with his PC, he invited me over almost bi-weekly to clean up the drat thing. It ran Windows ME. Something was wrong with it every drat time - virus, adware, system restore freaking out, you name it.

One time his daughter even called me over because she got a drive-by virus infection and trying to clean it up, she deleted win.ini. It was like this machine attracted problems.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Some days you just want to powerbomb people like that through a brick table.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Ursine Asylum posted:

Ironic you should say that, given that I just got to spend a day trying to recover a month's worth of code from a developer who forgot that the "distributed" part of Bitbucket repositories doesn't mean "you never have to push or pull".

What the gently caress :psyduck: if he never pushed or pulled, did he never wonder why his poo poo never appeared on the server? Was he just commiting everything locally?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

He probably means Bittorrent though. That poo poo eats bandwidth far faster than video streaming.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Everything on the show is either theoretically possible or already done, although there's a bit of hand waving for narrative reasons.

I do like that they had to water down the explanations for the PM to the point of uselessness, which is pretty real to life.

Huh. Maybe I need to restart watching Mr Robot on this premise. I was told it deserved praise mainly for its accurate portayal of an autistic protagonist, and stopped watching when it did not do so in the slightest. I am not autistic but I worked with a few on a job years ago. One was a silent borderline math genius, the other was your basic sperg. Very hard workers though.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Go larchesdanrew! :woop:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

My dad, God bless his soul, once explained to me how windows that are on top get more CPU than the ones behind it.

However, this was Windows 3.11 so it's possible he was right.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

nielsm posted:

Windows not-Server does in fact raise the priority slightly of the process that has the current active window.

However on Windows 3.11, the system was running with cooperative multitasking meaning there was barely a concept of "process", and every program had control of the CPU until it voluntarily released it back to the OS.

That's really cool! But since my dad never raised his tech-level above that of 'write a hello world app in Visual Basic 3' I doubt he knew this. Probably just guessed it. :)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

We've had an increasing amount of novelty ways of delivering the same spam in the last two weeks, but by far my favourite so far is the "PayPal Update" email.

It's the same regular "your account is restricted! Click here to give us your password!" email you'll all be familiar with, but instead now the email has a completely empty body because it's attached as an HTML file to get around content filters. That's not all though, because I opened it in notepad to see if it had any elaborate js/flash vulnerability poo poo going on (it doesn't, it's just the standard phish with new paint) and this beautiful anachronism is in the code:
code:
<!-- 
  ______   ______    _______   _______  _______     .______   ____    ____         ___      .__   __.   ______   .__   __.  __       _______..___  ___.      ___      
 /      | /  __  \  |       \ |   ____||       \    |   _  \  \   \  /   /        /   \     |  \ |  |  /  __  \  |  \ |  | |  |     /       ||   \/   |     /   \     
|  ,----'|  |  |  | |  .--.  ||  |__   |  .--.  |   |  |_)  |  \   \/   /        /  ^  \    |   \|  | |  |  |  | |   \|  | |  |    |   (----`|  \  /  |    /  ^  \    
|  |     |  |  |  | |  |  |  ||   __|  |  |  |  |   |   _  <    \_    _/        /  /_\  \   |  . `  | |  |  |  | |  . `  | |  |     \   \    |  |\/|  |   /  /_\  \   
|  `----.|  `--'  | |  '--'  ||  |____ |  '--'  |   |  |_)  |     |  |         /  _____  \  |  |\   | |  `--'  | |  |\   | |  | .----)   |   |  |  |  |  /  _____  \  
 \______| \______/  |_______/ |_______||_______/    |______/      |__|        /__/     \__\ |__| \__|  \______/  |__| \__| |__| |_______/    |__|  |__| /__/     \__\ 

-->
I was half disappointed there wasn't a MIDI embed.

Haha, reminds me of a project I inherited from some ex-coworker that was managed by a regular/temp sorta guy we sometimes hire in the meantime. He hated this project. The source code he added/edited is peppered with profanities, rants and exclamations. The class he hated most is 50% commented-out code (most captioned with something like 'why won't this work???') and at the very bottom, a HUGE ascii art piece saying I AM SO DONE. It's great.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

A ticket came in from my manager...

:v: thing is broken, please fix it ASAP
:confused: coworker made this, better let him do it
:v: coworker is busy fulltime on other thing with a hard deadline, he can't. you gotta do it. plus, now you'll know how it works! :haw:
:confused: I don't even know where the code for thing is, let alone understand it, find the bug, or fix it.

This coworker never documents *anything*. And this is apparently taking precedence over the really really important project I was already assigned to. :suicide:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

git bisect is the way to fix this (if it has ever worked before), but I'm terrified to ask whether this is in version control at all.

We use svn but yeah. Turns out the error was some bizarre timing issue with an external system not responding fast enough in production, but the whole thing just working fine in our test environment. I'd probably have cludged together the same solution as my coworker did, but he did it a lot faster since it was his code.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

deimos posted:

What year is this?

Sadly, I've worked at multiple places that used no source version control at all, followed by me badgering them until they started using it within a week or 2.

I've only worked at one place with Git instead of SVN so far, and The Other Team at my current workplace uses TFS.

Only one place used CVS, and we ended up not working with them because they wanted a team of 2 developers to create a full-fledged realtor webapplication in 3 months :v:

larchesdanrew posted:

Supervisor's catch-phrase is alive and well.

One of our creative designers came down to pick my brain about backup options for their department. I suggested Synology if they wanted something in-house, or a cloud service like Google Drive or AWS. We were discussing their options when supervisor walks by and has his little ears prickled by the sound of someone making a decision without his input. He blasts into my office and immediately starts bellowing as I was mid-sentence.

:v: "You're currently using about 8TB of space so-"
:downs: "What are y'all talking about?"
:v: "We're discussing backup options for the Promotions department.
:downs: "What are you telling him?"
:v: "I suggested a Synology for in-house storage and a few cloud options. It'll depend on what their budget is and how they want to use the data."
:downs: "You don't need all that. We'll just get you a Buffalo! They're really cheap!

At this point, the creative designer and I both broke out in simultaneous raucous laughter. He, due to the absurdity of a Buffalo NAS unit for data retention, and I because my mind has finally snapped and I am beginning my slow decent into madness.

Regardless, we literally laughed him out of the office.

It was beautiful.

:golfclap:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Probably because it starts with 'A' and the list of programs is alphabetical.
Maybe they shift-clicked it?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

frogbert posted:

My guess is there is a radio/phone sitting on/near their mouse cord and the interference from a radio signal is causing the computer to think the mouse wheel is in use. GSM phones will do this.

The post explained the voip interference, but the OS thinking the mouse is scrolling because of some radio interference is blowing my mind. :psyduck: what are the odds?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I wish there was an online feed of whatever larches' tv station is broadcasting so we can witness the exact moment it all goes to poo poo inevitably. :allears:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

We expect a link and a name the day you're no longer exployed there, of course. ;)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

uh.. a virus?

Nah, it probably got base64 encoded twice.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Congratulations larches! :yotj:

I'm imagining the CE coming into your former office the day after you leave and going 'hey, why isn't this done yet, aren't you.... huh.'

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

CE Doesn't Understand Lightbulbs and Also Suffers From Extreme Paranoia:

He came back and asked me why I turned the lights off.

Everytime I think I've figured out how dumb this guy is, larches posts stuff like this. :golfclap:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm freeeeeeeeeeeee

It's monday :f5:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

All Mr.Coffee's come with built in botnets that hijack Keurigs on the same network and force the lcd screens to read "gently caress you"

I looked up the tech manual to our coffee maker to see if I could do this, but sadly there's no option to change the display messages. I can, however:
- block certain products from being brewed
- increase/decrease the percentage of water used while making coffee
- view how many times a product has been made (I had a minor :toot: when we hit 20k total)

I didn't want to be too much of an rear end in a top hat to most of the company though, so I just changed the display language every day for a week. :v:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I never did this before, I can just put the turkey in the microwave with a cup of water overnight, right?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder how easy learning Dutch would be since I already know English, some Swedish, and a bit of German. Then again I don't know what I'd do with Dutch personally or professionally :shrug:

There's really no point since literally every Dutch person also speaks English. And there's only 16 million of us.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I poo poo you not. They were enormous, too, since they were using 3.5" drives arranged side by side.

Holy poo poo. This explains so much about the 1TB LaCie drive I had. :psyduck:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

KARMA! posted:

Tangentially, when did people decide to drop the first period when vocalizing a url? "Hello this is bob. Please go to double u double u double u

*tumbleweed*

*several people are born*

thewebsite dot com! :argh: If you've said a dot you would be done faster! Gah!

It got to the point that at least one company here was advertising with their url at the end of the radio message, omitting the first period. Some pranksters then registered wwwcompany.com and put up a giant notice on it saying you were at the wrong page and that [company] was stupid. :v:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

J posted:

Yup. Microsoft published a research paper about it. Essentially, it costs scammers very little to send out their scam attempts to lots of people, but once a mark actually responds to the scam, the scammer has to spend time interacting with each mark that responds. If the mark ultimately gets suspicious and backs out, that time wasted is expensive for the scammer. As a result, they use really bad english and terrible looking scams to ensure that the people who do respond are the most gullible and most likely to hand over money.

That's fantastic, I never thought of that.

It reminds me of the Whatsapp malicious popup on mobile that actually makes your phone vibrate. Seeing your device do something you didn't know it could do is pretty scary. example

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Chrome popup storm?

Comedy option: that joke program from 1999 that spawned itself three more times when you closed it. 1down3togo.exe or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Am I late to the party of telling stories of being idiots with computers?

I remember being an annoying dork with a portscanner at university. My favorite hobby was finding local cable-modem users with Windows fileshares exposed to the internet. Edit c:\autoexec.bat and c:\msdos.sys to disable booting into Windows 9x and showing a message warning them about being bad with security and some links to fix+prevent it. This was between 1998 and 2000.

At some point I found out you can access anyone's windows\system folder if they have a printer shared, and ran a virus scan on our sysadmin's PC remotely. He was infected with Sub7. :allears:

• Locked thread