Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This looks interesting: Grim World, a Dungeon World/Fate Core dark fantasy game with six new playbooks. It's a little pricey for a physical book, but Sage and Adam have seen it and they were pretty positive about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JadePunk is a Face Core wuxia/western. You can get access to the playtest docs as soon as you pledge (they're in the first update).

quote:

Jadepunk is a roleplaying game that takes place in a fictional, Hong Kong inspired city, called Kausao City, where mystical jade is refined and used in mechanical devices to create steampunk-like “Jadetech”.

Players in Jadepunk will take control of members of the jianghu and assist in that society’s endeavors to overthrow the Jade Shogun and bring peace to Kausao City. The archetypes they can play are varied, from gunslingers wielding highly-volatile red jade six-shooters to warrior monks wielding powerful martial arts, to Jadetech engineers
inventing the latest in Jadetech theoretical applications.

The idea behind jadetech is that the various colors of jade all have "powers" that can be channeled by devices. Green jade makes you tougher, red jade is volatile and used in weapons (like jade-powered pistols), and so on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The first supplement for Part-Time Gods is being Kickstarted: Divine Instruments will have expanded rules for Worshipers, Territories, and Followers.

I did a review of the corebook for the last F&F thread; it's a little on the crunch side but does "Scion" better than Scion did.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey this looks like a cool new boardgame.

quote:

To play simply learn to drop the dice off the box, and keep them on the game-board. The very first corner space states, Divide Your Game Parts. What made that work, are five No/Rest circles added to select spaces. They take away the choice, of which game-piece to move. Before I adding those circles, catch-22's would happen. A different space states, Exchange Your Bank of Feathers. It allows a player to come from behind at anytime.

The inside of the box works great as a game-bank. Each time around the board Eagle, Duck and Seagull feathers are rewarded. The goal of CENTERPIECE, becomes a RACE to purchase nine-puzzle-spaces one at a time. Have a bank of two-hundred feathers, have game-parts together. Then land on the Start Sun space, or Bidgecage space to WIN. Players keep score, with black and white pawns, under the box, at the games center. Who's best at finding the best price for a numbered puzzle-space, while staying out of the Birdcage corner space. For example to Rent A Horse, to get to the Half-Price space, or not.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you want the hardcopy, it's $95. :psyduck:

Seriously, though, this is setting off alarm bells to me. It's supposed to be funding an RPG, but they seem to be focused more on the CD than the "core product", with posters and dice and god knows what else they're going to tag on as stretch goals.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Kickstarter for Amethyst - Fantasy & Technology Collide has started.

quote:

Which side will you choose? Which weapons will you wield? Venture into lands once claimed by skyscrapers and factories, now overrun by elves, goblins, and dragons. Ride gracefully on horseback or plow through the wilderness in an armored transport.

Earth is torn between the order of science and the chaos of fantasy. The realm of magic has invaded our world, forcing man into the last few bastions of technology. These two worlds cannot mix. Will you embrace the wonder of legends and myths or accept the reality of refrigerators and washing machines?

For 500 years the planet was locked in stalemate, but no more. The Stones of Amethyst have risen. When brought together, they could decide the future of the planet, cast off the remaining shred of technology, or close off the world of magic forever. Choose your path and commit to the quest. Monsters will hunt you; machines will track you. No gods will help you; no prophecies will choose you. The fate of the world rests with you.

They're doing 4e and Pathfinder versions, and are "negotiating" D&D Next, Savage Worlds, and Fate Core versions as well (which is odd, because Fate is OGL and from what I understand getting a SW licence boils down to "just ask Shane if it's cool").

I remember the original Amethyst 4e rules having some worrying problems; any tech character had to be human, meaning they got an extra at-will, and every class had access to a Twin Shot at-will. The level 37-ish daily stance that let you reload a gun as a free action once per combat. I remember there was an infinite gunning combo too, but I don't remember the details on that one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I imagine that might be waived somewhat if you're already well-known enough in RPGland.
Ah, that might be why I remember seeing people say getting a SW licence is easy, then.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

Holy poo poo, that write-up for Amethyst makes me want to go outside and lie in front of a steamroller to make the hurting stop.
I have the original 4e PDF even though I haven't looked at it in ages; Amethyst isn't so much a single, complete setting as two settings sitting next to each other on the bus. Think Shadowrun, but without any integration between the magic and the tech.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Did the Last Stand stuff ever get shipped?

Yeah, a few months ago.

e: or do you mean the bonus box sets? Those haven't.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Far West pisses me off and I didn't even go for it; I just know too many people who had their hopes up only to get slapped for actually wanting the product they paid for.

I went for it. :(

What's more infuriating is that GMS is actively hostile towards people who're upset that his project is two years late now. He got pissed at me on G+ a while back because I dared to suggest that a little custom service or regular updates might help things.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

REO Speedial posted:

The audacity.

It still astounds me how a such a noted industry veteran :airquote: could be years late on multiple books and be so belligerent about people wondering about delivery.
Because this is an industry where the "professionals" aren't expected (or required) to be professional.

e: That's not to say that there aren't professionals in this industry. The problem is that there are big name designers out there who don't seem to have any idea how to deal with any kind of complaint or criticism, which is bad when you're the public face of your company.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 14, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cheneybeast posted:

I received my copy of CENTERPIECE this week. It contained the following note, crumple up in the shipping envelope.

Hello new CENTERPIECE owner

Just want to share a note about CENTERPIECE. Follow the rules carefully when first starting to play. Friend Dave S and I would play again and again. You will too after seeing how it all works.

We even starting paying
(sic) an off-the-board-roll-fine of five feathers. The game board like a new book, and will lie flat after being broken in.

After your game-chips lands on the DIVIDE your game-parts. The no/rest circles have to be followed, just move that game-piece. It helps speed-up your game, because other game piece stay put.

With the right combination of rolls a player can circle the board. Be fair what happens to one player, becomes the rule for the next time it happens. It's all part of the FUN!

Thanks Dan M

No, thank YOU, Dan M.

I'd like to post pictures and rules later, but since it didn't fund on KS (I got mine off eBay) I'm not sure what thread it belongs in. Fatal & Friends?

Wait.

Waitwaitwait.

CENTERPIECE is real? It exists physically? :psyboom:

And you goddamn well better post pictures.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, they're doing Demon before Mage? What the gently caress?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

I was also the only one who said poo poo about it, and just the once briefly, but Skarka's immediate whine was about how I was "grandstanding while spearheading the usual RPG.net crowd." Also he couldn't help but mention that I am some nobody that he'd never heard of.
If GMS put half the effort into releasing product as he does being an rear end on the internet, Far West would have been done at least a year ago.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hadn't seen this mentioned yet.

Bruce Herd, writer of the "Voyages of the Princess Ark" series that fleshed out the Mystara setting, has a Kickstarter up for his new setting: The World of Calidar. It's system-agnostic, and will have new races and airships and stuff.

quote:

Most Calidarans came from three lunar empires—the humans from Manaan, the elves from Alorea, and the dwarves as well as their gnomish cousins from Kragdûr. The fellfolk, a race of small but fierce people, are the planet's original inhabitants. Calidar is imbued with a feral magic hostile to the expansion of civilization, a dangerous world only partially settled by the three off-world empires. A central region called the Great Caldera, a three-thousand-mile-large crater partially filled with an inner sea and ringed with towering mountains, serves as the cradle of civilization. There, the empires overcame nature’s ferocity and established sprawling colonies. But over time, they rebelled and, after a long period of conflict known as the Sky Wars, the new realms earned their independence from their lunar masters. A fragile truce now remains between the three empires and their former colonies. Beyond the Great Caldera lies what is known as the Dread Lands.

The truth is that two lunar empires are overpopulated and exceeding their natural resources. The other, more attuned to nature, now stagnates, unwilling to further harm its own world. It was the reason for the rush to establish colonies on Calidar. There was, and still is, another reason. Traveling the immense distances between Calidar and its moons, and reaching other worlds gravitating around the Great Soltan is only possible with a certain type of magic. At the heart of imperial rivalries lies a strange substance called Seitha, which enables skyships to become incorporeal and travel at fantastic speeds. Though it can be found on the moons, the existence of the precious Seitha has been declining there since its discovery. The Dread Lands now remain its principal source and the origin of many conflicts to obtain it.

The appearance of the substance in Calidar’s soil is predicated upon the health of that world and its moons. It is believed that all magic comes from the beating heart of Calidar, tying together not only Seitha but the souls of the dead and the very lifeforce of all that dwells on its surface, in the skies, and beyond—be it flora, fauna, or sentient kind. It is strong enough to enable gods to spring from the inhabitants’ spiritual beliefs. Indeed, Calidar is unique in that the divine did not create this universe and its people. It is quite the opposite. On each world gods, demi-gods, epic heroes, and demons compete to retain the favors of mortals who created them, and to sway the minds of others for the sake of eternal hegemony. . . or oblivion.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Not to mention that Mikan's also resuscitating Nightfall after that whole mess.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Backers of Inverse World: Check your emails.

HOLY poo poo I'M PUBLISHED (a little) :bubblewoop:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Am I missing something on Iron Edda? It's $35 for the hardcopy+shipping in the US, but only $25 to ship the book outside the US? That seems backwards to me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Another sign of the apocalypse happened and GMS actually sent out a PDF preview of Far West.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DigitalRaven posted:

Onyx Path have done that on our last few kickstarters — Hunters' Hunted II, Changing Breeds, Demon, and now Anarchs Unbound.

When is the Mage 20th KS coming, dammit? :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I have seen no news despite being in a hypothetical playtest group. :smith:

There hasn't been anything since the first round of playtests back in...October? November?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aw yeah Tac-Tiles are coming back! :dance:

quote:

Void Star Studios, Inc. has acquired the rights, processes, vendors and original mold for Tact-Tiles! And the original creators of the Tact-Tiles are working with us as advisors.

These aren't some cheap knock-offs. These are the real deal, tweaked to improve the manufacturing process to insure we can bring them to you at an affordable price.

Our intent is to make this new run of Tact-Tiles 100% compatible with the original Tact-Tiles from BC Products, and to insure these are of even better quality.

Tact-Tiles are highly portable, rigid, thick plastic, dry-erase, gaming tiles. No more erasing the mat and starting over when the PCs run off the edge! And no more fussing with a rolled up mat!
On the Tact-Tiles front; we're expecting material and ink samples for the Tact-Tiles within the next few weeks. We're still working through a few kinks, and we'll keep you posted as we progress.

Look for the Kickstarter for both the Savage Worlds edition of Nova Praxis, and Tact-Tiles, very soon!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

VacuumJockey posted:

I made a giant fuckup and posted about the Kickstarter for Far Away Lands on the main page, which sadly speaks ill of my cognitive state. But here it is, a non-d20-based RPG inspired by Red Box D&D, Adventure Time, Zardoz, Order of the Stick and Grud knows what else. I have a weakness for this sort of stuff, so I kicked in 30 bucks...

This looks interesting, but it has that trying-too-hard feel to it that's making me a bit wary.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This looks interesting: Saving Throw is planning to be a web series focused on how to play RPGs in the same way Tabletop shows off board games.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does Tabletop not play games correctly? I don't watch it because it'll just make me want to buy board games I'll never play because my friends aren't into board games.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dagon posted:

Speaking of unprofessional, I'm Kickstarting a list!

100 Deluxe Dungeons

Backed so hard you have no idea. I hope I pledged the right amount. :ohdear:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mikan posted:

You don't. You pledge $12 now, and then it's going to cost you $3.76 to pay for printing from DrivethruRPG/RPGnow/etc later once you get the at-cost shipping code.

Oh. Whelp, looks like I overpleged! You're welcome for the non-round pledge amount, Dagon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man Dancer posted:

The Kickstarter for my friend's game Questlandia (the title is my least favorite part) went live recently: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/825764665/questlandia

Disclaimer: I did do some playtesting, but I dug the hell out of it even in its then-unfinished state. It does some neat stuff with making your choices feel like really rough trade-offs, and has pleasingly zippy world/character generation rules.

Do you have any info you can give us on how the kingdom building stuff works?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Let me show y'all how this is done.

Here's all the tabletop stuff I've backed that isn't still currently funding:
Tiny Epic Kingdoms: I think this one is on its way.
World of Calidar: No word lately, but this one just finished and isn't expected until June.
Ryuutama: Waiting on the hardcopy.
Deck of Many Things: No word recently, estimated for March.
Grim World: Got the PDFs, waiting on the books which I think are going out now-ish.
Stab City: Last update was October.
Divine Instruments for Part-Time Gods: Got the book and PDF.
Jadepunk: Not expecting anything until April.
Deck of Legends: Was estimated for November, haven't heard anything in a while.
Tears of a Machine: Got the PDFs.
Rosemont Bay: No word in a while.
Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine: Already been covered by others.
Kingdom: Got the PDFs.
XXXXtreme STREET Luge 5th Edition: Honestly, I only backed this for the Vin Diesil ApocWorld playbook.
Transhuman: The Eclispse Phase Player's Guide: Got the PDF, waiting on the Fate Core conversion.
Monsterhearts Second Skins: :welp:
OVA Second Edition: Got the backer PDF, waiting on the hardcopy.
Torchbearer: Got the book and PDF, bummed I'll probably never play it.
Inverse World: Got the PDF, waiting on the hardcopy (or possibly two maybe?)
Golden Sky Stories: Got everything.
Fate Dice: Dice recieved!
Short Order Heroes: Got the deck.
Fudge It! Classic Fudge dice: Got 'em.
Channel A: Got it.
Apotheosis Drive X: Waiting on pretty much everything except the core PDF.
Wicked Fantasy: Got the PDFs; I don't even know if we got the Dungeon World races, since that's the only reason I actually backed it.
Sea Dracula: Still don't know what this is about, only backed for the "Space Marine Mammal" Apocalypse World playbook (which I got).
KOBOLDS ATE MY BABY! IN COLOR!!!: Got everything. ALL HAIL KING TORG!
Doppelganger: The Universal Game Piece: Expecting in May.
Dungeon Roll: Got the game and the boosters.
Cortex Hackers Guide: Arrived yesterday.
Interface Zero 2.0: Got the PDFs, book should be arriving soon (I hope).
Sorcerer Upgrade: Got both books, still haven't read them.
Matching Lions: Got my two decks.
ICONS: Great Power: Got the book & PDF, waiting on the updated character builder.
Fate Core: Got everything that's come out so far. My biggest pledge, at $145.
Skies Over Danbury Dungeon World adventure: Got the book last week.
Boss Monster: Got everything.
Magicians: Got the PDF and hardcopy. Still haven't read them.
One Shot - An RPG of Sacrifice and Vengance: Got the PDF.
Herione: Got the PDF.
Base Raiders: Got everything.
Motobushido: Got everything.
Hillfolk: Got everything.
The Reliquary: Was due back in June.
Act Ten RPG: Got the hardcopy and bonus PDFs.
Nightfall: *cough*
Heros of Metro City Deck Building Game: Got the print-and-play version.
Truth and Lies for Wu Xing: Got the Print/PDF bundle.
Numenera: Got the PDFs.
Unexploded Cow: Got the print & play.
tremulus: Got everything.
Psi-Punk: Got the PDF (eventually).
Reaper Bones I: Got my minis, still haven't started painting them.
Tenra Bansho Zero: Got the whole package.
13 True Ways: Not due for a while yet.
Stark City for ICONS: Got the book & PDF.
RPG of the Month Club: 24 terrible RPGs recieved!
Better Angels: Recieved the hardcover.
Race To Adventure!: Got the game and expansion.
Dungeon World: Duh.
City of Clocks: Got the PDF.
Last Stand: Got the game and cards, but I don't think I'll be getting the boxed set.
Deadlands Noir: Got everything.
Farewell to Fear: Progressive Post-Fantasy: Got the PDFs.
Full Moon: Got the PDF and custom Fudge dice.
Metamophosis Alpha: Is now a year and a half late; content is being trickled out in updates.
Mobile Frame Zero: Got the book & stickers.
Random Dungeon Generator posters: Hanging on my bedroom wall...ladies.
Tephra: the Steampunk RPG: Got my hardcopy.
Always/Never/Now: Got the PDFs (eventually).
Writer's Dice: Got 'em.
Dinosaurs...IN SPAAACE!: Got the book.
Far West: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I honestly don't even know why I backed this. At least it was only $10.
Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple: Got my PDFs.
Dungeonmorph Dice: Got my set, been meaning to pick up the other sets.
REIGN Grab Bag, Out of the Violent Planet, REIGN of Arduin, NAIN: Got all these delivered a while ago.

And that's just the tabletop stuff.

Far West is currently the furthest behind (funded in August 2011), with Metamorposis Alpha a close second (September 2012). I'm also waiting on 13 True Ways, The Reliquary, Interface Zero (which I have the PDF for, anyway), my Doppleganger piece, Apotheosis Drive X, OVA, Monsterhearts Second Skins, Chuubo, and Rosemont Bay; all of which were estimated for last year. Deck of Legends, Jadepunk, Stab City, Grim World hardcopy, Inverse World, and Ryuutama are all expected later this year and I think are on track.

I've backed waaaaaay too many things.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

It's this thing, right here. This is a fantasy (and sci-fi I guess) heartbreaker. The heartbrokenest.
Good lord, it even has the "Base D&D stats except one or two are renamed" thing going on. That used to be Heartbreaker Warning Sign #1.

What's with the "Large Die Pools" thing at the bottom of the sheet?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Mage 20th Anniversary Edition KS will launch at noon EST tomorrow.

I'm going to blow so much money on this. :smithicide:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In non-creepy news, I was a day off and the Mage20 kickstarter is live.

Did anyone around here get the previous Limited Edition oWoD books? How are they quality-wise.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

So $35 is the minimum to get you the rules? In pdf? Without any extra books?
Yeah. Unfortunately, that's pretty much how they've been pricing the reprints.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Breachworld is a post-apocalyptic game that involves Earth being invaded by aliens, monsters, an whatnot through a portal network that was formerly used by humanity as a mass-transit system.

It uses the D6 system, and has the most unexpected endorsement I've ever seen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Blue Dungeon Tiles kickstarter looks pretty good. It's a simple tile set for doing dungeon/whatever layouts, and the price range is pretty impressive. $30 gets you 48 tiles that can be used with wet or dry erase markers, a few sheets of cardstock dungeon dressings, and a carrying case.

The "blank" tile is actually the back of the normal tiles, not a separate tile.

I'm still waiting on the Tac-Tiles KS, but this looks like it'll be really useful too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

Ow, my nostalgia. Those blue dungeon tiles really remind me of the old, old Dungeon Geomorphs booklet... which was probably the point of choosing that particular shade of blue.

The guy pretty much admits as such, but it's also because with that shade of light blue, you can write on it with most colors of dry erase and the ink stands out nicely.

Nostalgic and practical!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

We have taken a transmedia approach in the concept of The Rangers from its inception. Developing The Rangers Card Game and commissioning the Lt. Wolf miniature with an eye towards a tabletop battle game, in conjunction with the film development. With plans for novelizing the story, a graphic novel, a video game down the road, and more in the works. The goal, fantasy entertainment with total fan engagement and satisfaction in mind.
I'm getting Far West flashbacks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Amazing on so many (backer) levels.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

Ahahaha this loving sentence. It reads like the tags on a piece of Apocalypse World gear.

When you uncover a long-forgotten peril of ancient evil reawakening, roll+cliche...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

You still can't get the Wulin RPG from anywhere other than ordering it from them and then hoping they actually get the notification past the Great Firewall of China, I think.

Which I admit I just do not get. There are so many POD options out there, why did they go that route?

• Locked thread