Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Pretty much everything Kai Tave said above. I know some miniatures loving guys who literally couldn't care less about the game attached to a given set of models, and just wants to expand their model collection with more cool looking poo poo to paint, use in RPGs, use in pre-existing engines as proxy models, etc. But putting the KS in any category other than games would just be shooting themselves in the foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

The KS for Boss Monster 2 is due next month. The first wasn't a great game, but it's an OK filler. I bring it up mainly because they're auctioning the chance to name each of the four Dragon Bosses for a different charity.

If I'm not mistaken their digital version of the game is releasing fairly soon as well. While I was supremely disappointed in the game myself, I think as a quick-fix app it might be a lot more tolerable.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

boom boom boom posted:

I'm actually completely in favor of it. I just wish DC Deck Building Game had come in a white box with blue accents

Well, I mean, technically... it is!

Though I have a feeling THAT'S THE JOKE here... :downs:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Well, this is a thing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/862264378/saved-by-the-bell-bayside-high-school-board-game

quote:

HAVE TO GET A FEW MATERIAL READY AND THIS WILL BE A DONE DEAL

Seems legit?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Paint a painting.
Pet a kitten.
Go fishing.
Take a nap.
Plan on world domination and conquest.
Make threatening threats to larger, more powerful countries.
Take a nap.
Almost anything is possible in the life of Kim Jong Un.

I know after Holly Town nothing should surprise me, but holy poo poo this guy can't be serious.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this guy's "50 years of experience" is actually just tracing existing photographs in Photoshop.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Countblanc posted:

No, IB&C had a really bad run with iirc the last Resistance release, where cards had different colored backs (this is a HUGE issue in a hidden info game for obviously reasons) and several other production errors. There may be other things I'm not privy to.

Yeah, this is the only issue I have heard with them, or worth noting. It was really disappointing to see the inconsistency in production between the original game and their expansions. No matter how "well known and successful" they may or may not be, I guarantee they aren't exactly banking a ton of money on Kickstarter which should preclude them (or anyone, but that's a whole other discussion) from using crowdfunding.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chill la Chill posted:

e: except this company's been in major retailers like target so gently caress 'em

Could you elaborate? I'm curious about the perceived correlation between KS and products being in big box stores?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Leperflesh posted:

This is the actual thing, though.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I think it's completely awesome that crowd-funding systems like KS have taken off and do allow for little guys to get out in the market, not only for games but for any category you can imagine. But the masses are going to define what something is or isn't, and it's pretty clear that KS is more than independent projects to the masses. Take eBay for example; it started as a similar platform for Joe Average to empty his closet of unneeded stuff, but over time evolved into a full-fledged avenue for companies to conduct business. Established companies have eBay stores, just like established companies have and will continue to utilize KS for whatever reasons they may have.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chill la Chill posted:

The difference with ebay is that they do have some protection services for the consumer. Kickstarter has none of that besides some vague clauses about entities trying their best to fulfill pledges or whatever, but I'm not a lawyer.

Yeah for sure, the whole system is still very new though. I'd wager that within the next few years KS get's a lot more formal on this front, and others.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There is a One Night Coup?

I assume he meant the One Night Resistance which was/is? on KS.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

To be honest, he's dragged his feet so long I doubt he's making a profit from this. :v:

Feet dragging or not, he likely wasn't making much profit of the $50k to begin with, but still.

I'm not a follower of RPG stuff so the discussion here in the last couple days has been the first I've seen of his campaign and in turn how he's handled it. Pretty unbelievable, as others have already pointed out, that he's so comfortable being defensive about his actions after this much time. And I find the new .com hilarious, and even more so that he's acting the victim over it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Ever wish you could have a giant, plush meeple to replace those boring, regular throw pillows that are always in the way on the couch? Now's your chance! Meepillows!

Video is actually pretty amusing. I might have to get one of these.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Andarel posted:

So, Steampunk Rally is actually super good and everyone had a lot of fun. Definitely going to try and table it again tomorrow at weekly meetup.

Playing my copy tonight for the first time! Any recommendations of things to watch for rules-wise?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

jivjov posted:

Tiny Epic Galaxies arrived today. I really dig the little wooden tokens, but there's something about the dice that don't quite feel right.

:comeback:
My range of emotions knowing that it's showing up, then realizing that I'm sitting on a plane and won't be home to receive it until Thursday night.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I missed the KS for that one entirely but I saw some people playing it at BGG Con, looks really fascinating. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

signalnoise posted:

I'm expecting nothing better than the Ghostbusters game. It'll be 50 bucks on minimarket within 3 months of release and that's being nice.

That's standard pricing for web retailers though, and isn't indicative of game's sales or other factors. MM, CSI, etc. are all around 30-35% off SRP as a norm. They'll also not have any of the KS content, so the cost difference once it hits MM doesn't account for that either... regardless of what you/people think about whatever add-ons/exclusives (which Eastman can't stop talking about in their video, geez) IDW ends up putting into their campaign.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, it's definitely a bunch of bullshit. No idea what they're attempting to accomplish with their silly fake campaigns (as mentioned, their previous one was a GoT Robot Card Game...what?), but it's absolutely bogus whatever the case.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
What's frustrating about his campaigns is how Kickstarter is actually allowing them to launch, period. They are supposed to be evaluating and vetting projects before approving them to go live, so how the gently caress do they keep letting this guy do this?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Roxley (the company behind Steampunk Rally and Super Motherload) have a new campaign up today for a re-imagining of Santorini that looks goddamn gorgeous, if you're into abstract strategy games. Really excited to try this one myself.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/santorini-learn-it-in-30-seconds-play-it-for-life

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

homullus posted:

Demeter is adorable and Aphrodite looks like Natalie Dormer. Does feel weird to pay extra to have the game on a plastic cliff with no gameplay use, but I guess you'll be the only kid on your block with a game on a plastic cliff.

Nice components can really draw me into an experience so I'm actually okay with the board presentation making the whole project cost a little bit more.

Unsurprisingly I have a tough time playing average euro games that are theme-light. Who knew?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Say what you will about the game, but getting Ernie Hudson to suit up for the campaign video is pretty awesome. :woop:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Kai Tave posted:

Aren't the Ghostbusters games just reskined Zombicide clones?

In that there are minis and leveling up / abilities, and dice I guess. Mechanically they're a bit different, for better or for worse.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The_Doctor posted:

Talk to me about Santorini and whether I want/don't want it. Apparently I starred it a while back, and forgot about it.

I mocked up the game with some cheap blocks from a crafts store and have played several games, both with and without some of the variable player powers. I really enjoy the game, and I think it will be a go-to for a short two-player strategy game for a long time, alongside the likes of 7 Wonders Duel, Hive, and recent release Onitama for me. The presentation is fantastic and the cost of the game on KS is partially paying a premium for those components, but even without all the flair the gameplay holds up nicely.

I think in a standard game without player powers, first turn advantage is substantial, but once you start mixing in alternate ways to move, interact, and even win, things skew a lot to a much more balanced feeling experience. Some of the God Card matchups are just bad, heavily favoring one side or another, but luckily the games are short enough that it's rarely an issue. Every time I've pulled it out to teach someone I've ended up playing 3-5 games back-to-back with different characters each time. I've also only played with a randomly dealt single character; I think there's a lot of space to explore with regards to the God Card distribution. Deal 3 Choose 1, or some sort of elimination draft. I think swapping characters with someone but keeping the turn order is an interesting way to approach things as well, if you're willing to do a best-of-3 type game in a competitive/tournament setting or something.

tl;dr: Really solid abstract gameplay, beautiful components that add but aren't a crutch, tons of replayability. Would recommend.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The "delays" aren't native to Kickstarter vs traditional publishing; they're just shoved in the forefront since you have to provide a more specific release on KS. I can tell you that traditional game manufacturing and publishing dates are changing all the time too, rarely hitting initial projections. The difference is that a publisher can be a lot more vague with when a traditional release is coming until the containers are being unloaded state-side and not be crucified for it. A month or two before a game releases and a publisher announces an anticipated street date and everyone celebrates, while behind the scenes 9 times out of 10 they wanted it releasing sooner.

e: Not that I'm defending the year-late style projects at all, mind you. That's just terrible planning. The clever KS folks will over-quote their delivery so they have a buffer to land "on time", and then can even come early. No excuse for being so wildly out of sync with your production process to miss release by more than a few months.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

Anyone want a dice tower?

There's no way I'd ever buy the thing, but that goofy mechanism can't but make me smile.

What in the hell is going on with their video with that voice over business :stare:

Otherwise, yeah, those are pretty clever, but I've never seen a reason to have/use a dice tower. More than anything I'd use the "first player marker" for their white castle to replace the Master Builder token in Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

• Locked thread