Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I really want to know what sneakers Bomani Jones is trying to buy off a co-worker, but I think I have a correct guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tl;dr kill all boomers

Also between LeBatard talking to Action Bronson and Bomani having 2 Chainz on The Right Time tomorrow, this is a good-rear end podcast week.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wait DAZN is getting baseball in the US/Canada this year?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought DAZN was exclusively for combat sports?

It launched in Europe with soccer, it was introduced a year later to Japan after gobbling up all the domestic soccer rights as well. I think boxing/MMA was their foot in for the US and I’d expect them to keep going once rights deals are up in the US. They already have NFL and college football in certain markets (I watched the Super Bowl on DAZN in Japan the last two years).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I thought Bomani swore off dunking in games after that one time in Atlanta...

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1112813498684399616

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

How do we know Phil got that from a prize check and not through insider trades.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

i know there are regional sports networks that sort of fill this niche already but those aren’t owned by the nfl or their teams

Doesn’t Daniel Snyder also own the/a regional sports channel in the DMV area already? I know part of the complaint about him/his team is that the local media he owns provides pillowy soft coverage of the Washington Racial Slurs.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jackie D posted:

He used to own the main sports radio channel in town, but iirc he sold that off a couple years ago, and 980 has been eclipsed in this market anyway.

Yeah I checked up and saw that afterwards.

I’m not sure off the top of my head about NFL teams but I do know there are regional sports networks owned by the teams — but usually the baseball/basketball/hockey side, which makes sense, as they have so much more content to broadcast. I know the Mariners own their network, and the Kroenke group owns one in Colorado that carries the Nuggets and Avs. That sort of business model doesn’t work as much for NFL because there’s just 16 or so games to sell, and the live broadcasts are already on a main network.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The ESPN NFL Primetime highlights music is one of the better NFL-related tunes, and this is its best usage:

https://mobile.twitter.com/briancgrubb/status/795708419965669376

Otherwise, I will jump in and say I still use “Roundball Rock” as my ringtone to this day, but will also ride for the music Fuji TV uses for Formula 1 coverage in Japan:

https://youtu.be/08KVCJ-4-DY

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Oh well then I guess blowing millions of dollars because black people kneeling during the anthem made you mad is actually a good idea.

I mean, does it track for a guy who has teams of writers but routinely changes the weekly shows the day-of, or even during the show? the best thing for WWE is if this fails and Vince eats poo poo hard and is forced to change, because otherwise they're bouncing on mediocrity to huge profits.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

If you live out west just set aside your late Friday nights for Aussie Rules Football.

Helllllll yeah AFL is good poo poo.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I watched like 10 minutes of the AFL before I realized "There's better sports happening."

I'll never really relate to the kind of fan who lives by the NFL schedule year round. But I hope they enjoy the latest failed football league from racist, evil pieces of poo poo while it lasts.

I’ve been standing by the spicy take of “I don’t care about the NFL offseason while basketball, baseball, hockey, and plenty of other things have ACTUAL games” for a good long time and it goes double now that I don’t care much for the NFL regular season itself.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I say just let the major colleges run their own pro teams in the spring featuring alumni and some others.

Don't tell me diehards wouldn't show up for that poo poo.

MourningView posted:

They should let them run their own pro teams by paying the players they already have

:hai:

Also the NFL should pay for its loving minor league, and MLB should be paying its players much more for MiLB.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

cricket is also basically a year-round sport, with the northern hemisphere teams or southern hemisphere teams hosting matches and T20 tournaments depending on which side of the earth has summer or not, though they don't play nearly as many matches in total as club football (or baseball teams)

trying to think of any other sports which are effectively year-round, I figure rugby might be since it's played widely in both hemispheres? Tennis has an offseason lasting like two weeks also

Motor sports is effectively year-round, there’s not much around Christmas but basically only having December off from major events/series. Formula E, WEC going to the soccer season and the Asian Le Mans Series going from Nov-Feb overlapping with everything else going March-November means there’s enough in the northern winter.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There's not much point watching Formula 1 this year.

If you want open-wheel racing where legitimately 10 different guys could win any given weekend, IndyCar is right over there.

If you want to watch Ferrari fanboys crying over their Italian team behaving Italian, then sure, watch F1.

If you want the promise of F1 (the top manufacturers creating something and having a shot to win in wheel-to-whee action) then skip four wheels and watch MotoGP instead, this season has been quite good so far.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

psyer posted:

I believe DAZN has the J-League in the US, but they usually only show Vissel Kobe because Iniesta plays there.

DAZN has the entire J-League rights for all matches from J1 to J3 in Japan, but yeah peak bird-brain was pushing Vissel Kobe vs. Sagan Tosu really hard because Spain. It sucks, because neither team has big national fanbases in Japan (Kobe is owned by Rakuten hence getting the former Barca player the year after their sponsorship started) so it's honestly worse than any force-feeding you can think of with American teams.

(I still laugh so much about "Fernando Torres, striker for Sagan Tosu" because I have been to Saga Prefecture, friends, and even to a Sagan Tosu game or two, and it is not what people imagine when they talk about retiring in football to a year or two in Japan)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ace Jameson posted:

Pac-12 games at 9am local time?

e: oh, it’s possible but mostly B10 and B12 I guess

I’ve never seen a PAC-12 game kick off before noon. 12:30 was always the standard for non-TV games back in the dark ages. Even if you did that with a game at Colorado or Utah, it’s 10 am local, which, nah.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Football wise it's been the weakest of the major conferences most of the time recently, and they're falling way behind in TV revenue which could percipitate that. It's also the one where the home markets tend to care the least about football so they generally have weaker ratings.

If USC rebounds big time then I'm sure their later games will get a lot of push from the network but until then they're probably gonna get better ratings results out of pushing their Big Ten and Big XII games

I’m not sure I’d say “care the least,” but probably more fair-weather/casual in terms of intensity. Seattle and Portland both rode hard for UW and UO respectively in recent years, but that’s two cities and states that are smaller and not huge TV markets alone. Los Angeles had a pro football team during the Carrol years and were up for USC, but unlike [insert major school from eastern half of the US] there’s plenty to do other than be miserable at a mediocre team. USC and tOSU both would fill their stadiums if both teams have one loss, but only one would still be 90% full if both teams were 7-5.

The PAC-12 Network deal also kinda sucks and isn’t as available as it should be, and the games are on stupid late for the eastern half of the country.

So yeah, unless you have a PAC-12 team marauding to an undefeated record by week 10 or 11, the west coast is out of the conversation.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

It's really cool he found a place where he can just do crazy Jon Bois poo poo.

Once I learned that Jon Bois was one of the minds behind The Dugout, it all made so much more sense.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh my god we got Hater Galaga live and on TV. Bomani is on one here on this clip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

SAS also like never takes time off ESPN could call him for a take at 3am and he'd go into his home office and start streaming live to ESPN.

That dude is on so many shows

Didn’t he call in from vacation to go off about the Knicks and the NBA Draft Lottery a few weeks back? Dude is going to have a heart attack from working 300 days a year, whether on TV or out and about at events or games/matches/etc.

It sounds like Stephen A is just 100% that guy all the time, for better or for worse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1134565215092314113

Vaudeville, baby.

That look on Dan's face is amazing.

Bless that old man

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

they must not have gotten enough impressions from the LeBatard & Friends hosted version last year, which was beyond entertaining.

but nah, we're going with YouTubers and Snapchat emojis. gently caress off forever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Joe Tessitore and Rod Gilmore was a loving stellar pairing.

e: Also, I think Tessitore and Booger in the booth together could be okay. Witten sucked so bad that it dragged the entire thing down so I'm not ready to judge Tessitore or Booger just yet on MNF.

Remember that profile piece of Tessitore that came out that was supposed to make him look good but just made him look like an absolute try-hard tool shed? https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/16/17701680/joe-tessitore-espn-nfl-monday-night-football

It’s incredibly well written but prrrrrobably not in the way ESPN/Tessitore wanted it to be.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Giant Bomb NBA finals stream.

WEED3

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Dan is one of three people who could get away with that who are currently at ESPN. Stephen A. and Bomani are the other two. I'm sure Bob Ley could get away with it but he's retired :smith:.

(Bob Ley's retirement is 100% deserved though, he earned that poo poo)

Bomani could make that statement but It would be a bit more measured. From listening to The Right Time and The Evening Jones forever, he’s gotten very careful about these topics in public. He’s also on the upward curve so doesn’t want to gently caress his money up, whereas I’m guessing if LeBatard got fired he’d bring the Shipping Container to do that as a local show/podcast and be fine, and get somebody else to pay for it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

*dog next to Mina raises paw and pulls it back*

PUPPY NO

Ahahahaha underrated post right here

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

In what universe does the QB just stand there the whole game?

I mean, they don’t run that much compared to basketball players, soccer players, probably about as much as baseball outfielders. Has/does anybody done heat maps and tracking for football players yet?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The NFL regular season ends in December. You’d be asking to have a lot more games and exposure to bad weather if the MLS regular season ran in winter from January through early April, if baseball games getting snowed out are any indication.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Americans should switch to cricket.

DON'T SAY IT TOO LOUD YOU MIGHT GIVE THEM THE NEXT IDEA FOR STADIUM GRIFT

"oh no, we can't stay in our current location, we have to expand because we're changing the sport...and did we mention this is going to take more space?"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor Teeth posted:

oh so those are the things british reactionaries scream incoherently at corbyn about once per year because he didn't staple one to each eyeball

The British equivalent to respecting are troops, yes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

It is sort of backwards to the idea that uefa wants a bigger cut of the US market. I wonder if it’s this infuriating to watch in China where their other big push for popularity is.

Games start at 4 am or so thanks to the magic of time zones. [Edit] 2 am or 4 am depending on if it’s the late or early kickoff. Yikes.

I woke up early to watch the Europa League final last season and only caught the second half.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 16, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dude showed up to a Trail Blazers event in the off-season that combined his three loves: bicycles, basketball, and the Grateful Dead. That was pre-season, so surely he’s flying out the gate this year.

Bill Walton remains a national treasure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tOSU has also had a real good year, and that pre-game show was leading into The Game which had some stakes on the line.

Still going to assume Gameday needs changes and refreshing, based on the one weekend I was in the States this season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Does this mean there is going to be a baby Yoda bowl?

Considering how many bowls ESPN produces, this could already happen.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

There was a Twitter sponsored post revealing the fact that there's now a tangent show called "My Feet Are Killing Me"

NOPE

somewhere out there Rex Ryan gets a half-chub

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I find it weird that they’re saying an average 330,000 viewers isn’t enough, but 360,000 or 400,000 is making the grade. Weird place to put the marker.

The original one hour High Noon was good, and Bomani’s podcast is excellent.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Particularly when I would guess they're spending two or three times as much on Get Up to get 380,000 and seem fine with it

somebody tweeted that exact point

https://twitter.com/BryanFonsecaNY/status/1232292934994796545

[edit] and also Pablo tweeted that his wife gave birth yesterday, which, that's a lot of Life for one day

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I am both excited and extremely :smith: about my team being the target here. But it’s not like it’s undeserved.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

But I guess there's still boxing matches, the Premier league, and WWE?

Premier League is going to get postponed any day now, Arsenal’s manager tested positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tom Brady gets traded to Collingwood.

That tracks.

AFL is fantastic, go watch some. I’ve got a membership from one of the clubs which provides the overseas streaming pass, but something about them playing these behind closed doors just seems morbid in the wrong sort of way. Can’t quite get excited.