Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, UK goons, have you had better luck jumping from place to place every year or two or do you think its better to stop at one place? I have about a years real work experience in IT and I feel comfortable with interviewing so I don't think i'd have an issue there, but i'm wondering what's a decent way to go in regards to building my reputation/salary. If it helps, I also want to be a sysadmin and I have managed an exchange/active directory server by myself for 8 months of my career. I also have some IT qualifications and a failed uni degree (I have a feeling that last one will bite me, but when explaining that my mum was in hospital most of my second year, they seem to understand).

Salary is a requirement for me, as is paid time off. The rest of my family have been hosed over by paid x each hour because those jobs are awful so i'm sticking to something I can count on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

What do you mean by "failed" degree - Did you drop out before completion or did you get something like a 2:2?

If the former, it might be better to just leave it out completely now that you've got a years experience.

Yeah I dropped it. I didn't have time to do anything uni related and my grades really suffered for it, it got to crunch time and she had to go in again, so I said gently caress it and did the needful, dropped out, looked after my baby brother and sis while she was gone.

I should probably stay a few more months and just keep my eyes open then. Thanks goons.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Don't mention you were willing to work without pay for 11 months in the next interview you have, if you can avoid it. You'll just be telling your new boss that he can gently caress with you. You're entitled to back pay, you should probably discuss it with your current boss if you can. If he's genuinely a nice bloke, he'll try and get something rolling. If he just goes "sorry, no" then you just have to say "sorry, I have stuff I need to pay for, i'm going to try and find a new job".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sefal posted:

I'm definitely pursuing my back pay. I'm going to talk to him in a few minutes.
You guys are loving right, this is insane.
I hope the conversation goes well.

Keep us updated.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Progress! Just make sure that the backpay comes in at some point. If you really enjoy working there and are willing to let him pay it in installments, that's on you, but at least you've got money coming in again, well done.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mattfl posted:

He doesn't have money coming in though, he's got the promise/pinky swear it coming in at the end of the month.

Well if he doesn't he can walk with his head held high. He's gone in, he's discussed it and his boss knows that he's willing to do something about it. If his boss decides to try and gently caress him over that's his bosses downfall, he can sue knowing full well he tried to address the issues first. As someone who worked for free for a long time finally getting the balls to say "hold up, I need to be paid now" can be a giant hurdle to overcome and he should be patted on the back for that.

Sefal, regardless of if you have to sue to get your money or he actually coughs up the cash, you've gotten the ball rolling, which is the most important thing.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 10, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sefal posted:

I also don't have a contract. When he pays me he has me sign a piece of paper, so I don't know if I have anything to stand on.

I take it all back, you should gently caress this guy over.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Sorry just after a month and a half of dead air in the job sector it's like ironic comedy or something.

Keep posting, your life makes me think there is hope in this world.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Who the hell thinks of those postings? Yes, these are all IT stuff, one IT guy should be able to do the lot of it right? Right?

gently caress, I get annoyed when i'm asked to do user training (as in an actual, booked training session) because i'm not a trainer. I can't imagine someone working all that because "welp, that's what they want".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

psydude posted:

So apparently breweries don't give a gently caress about IT.

I totally would if you paid me for all three of those positions. I mean like, you took all of the salaries of those and added them together.

Combine that with all three benefits packages (including annual leave) and i'd jump on it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
$500 isn't exactly a lot though. One month of pay and you're more than sorted.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus loving christ. Boss went from nice guy to a massive rear end in a top hat as soon as it was mentioned. And this has happened to other co-workers too? This guy is sleezy as gently caress. Money whore for wanting him to honour an agreement, what a dumbarse.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I expect a Sysadmin will have to know how to use a scripting language and how to write batch files at the very least in the future. I'm not to sure what other coding a Sysadmin would really need to do. I've got SQL, C++, Javascript, HTML/CSS and VB down as stuff that i'm quite comfortable sitting down, refreshing my memory on and doing something simple, but as far as i've seen i've not really seen any Sysadmin work with code aside from a bit of fiddling in powershell (which, while i'm not comfortable listing it down as something i can do, i'm definitely playing with it right now).

The "IT" course my uni offered was basically a business course with light coding thrown in to keep people on edge. They skipped over any specific programs/products, much like others i've read about and made it more about "this is how a computer works and this is how you can make that computer work within a business".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, that makes sense. I've not really played with many other systems, I need to get a lab going and give it a go.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ZetsurinPower posted:

if you're not already technically proficient or get an internship, it kind of leaves you in a lurch when its job hunting time. I think these programs should require a couple of certs before graduation. My intro to Networking prof allowed us to skip the final project if we got our Network+ cert, which I think is a cool way of doing it.

Yeah, I went and took the computer science course instead, which gave me some Cisco certs. I liked the idea of learning how to apply things to businesses, but I really would prefer to know the finer details rather than the basic knowledge. When I learn something, if I don't know it in depth i'm not satisfied because occasionally something will go wrong and I won't know why. When I know something in depth that doesn't really happen.

In regards to the post about never hiring an admin who can't code, it looks like I better keep my skills crisp then. Which is fine by me, i'm not content to sit at a helpdesk for a piddly £19,000 or so a year.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 14, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bob Morales posted:

computer science = cisco certs?

It was a side thing it offered. If you wanted to do it, you could do it, they'd pay. The rest of it was actual computer science stuff, guess I didn't explain that well. Apologies.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is something up with the Adobe website right now? My internet is fine (lovely, but fine) but its telling me it'll take 11 hours to download a 134mb file.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I get Salary + Overtime, which if it wasn't in such a toxic work environment would be a really sweet deal. Its probably the only reason I haven't left, nobody seems to be able to match that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

All of your answers are a relief to me, thank you!

Sidebar, reading a resume from a guy with 10 years of experience. It is 6 pages long. Oh, honey.

I'm really ignorant on that sort of thing. Is that to little? To long? If its too long why is that? I never really did any form of resume training and just kinda put something that looked kinda good together and threw it out and it was two pages, but that was before I had a job.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Job interview in 40 minutes and I am farting like a leaking zeppeliner :yotj:

Assert your dominance. Walk in, make eye contact, fart long, loud and proud. Bonus points if you can work the cloud butt into the interview.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 27, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Congrats! Those are some sweet perks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly, if its a nice place that has a history of actually advancing people, stay. Ask a few colleagues, see what they think on it, chances are they'll know better than we do. If its legit and you like the people, i'd only jump ship for a higher paying job with more perks.

If its like my place where "promoting internally" means "here, have a 4 day SQL course, now you can do data conversion right?" GTFO and :yotj:

E: SQL from scratch, by the way. This is why one of our previous conversions went to poo poo, because the guy doesn't really know SQL, so when it went wrong he couldn't troubleshoot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pretty drat sure that isn't legal. If you work, you get paid, end of. Now if you mean he doesn't get overtime, then I'm not sure how that works for salaried workers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i'm in agreement. The Citadvice people know what they're on about, in the year I worked there they were never stumped on an issue.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

evol262 posted:

re: certchat. Literally never had one. Don't see the point in anything other than CISSP, PMP, CCN*. RCH* is great and everything, and I should probably at least get a RHCE, but nobody's ever asked or cared about my certless, degreeless state.

I literally have CCNA and a degree that I dropped out of at the end of the second year (spent the entire year caring for my mum who was hospitalised). Nobody gave a poo poo that I dropped out of my degree, because I could prove my grades were good until I had to take care of my family. What people did give a poo poo about was my lack of experience, but were willing to at least interview me, because I explained it in the cover letter (I figured preemptively explaining why i had a certificate rather than a degree from a degree course was the better option).

Risky loving move, but it garnered interest and actually nabbed me a job.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can understand people being scared of debt. From what I hear America has a horrid system for debt that means your student loans actually count as a debt and can be used against you as such.

Here in the UK student loans, while they are debt, don't really count as debt, so you don't have to state that you owe x amount to a student loan company when buying a house, etc.

E: Or at least, that's what i've been told.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bob Morales posted:

Not everyone makes the smartest decisions with financial aid. They don't go to a 2-year school for the basics, or even a local college, don't work part time, buy other things with financial aid money than tuition and books...

Stop reminding me of my mistakes, dammit! :argh:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
But seriously, if you got to a college, try and go to one that has its affairs in order. I went to some lovely college/uni and most of my teachers were quitting, so it only made sense that a lot of the students did the same.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

"when am I ever going to use this math in the real world" ~wants to be a programmer

This was literally me and to be completely honest I never really saw a reason for a lot of the poo poo I learned in my maths classes. I managed to get through most of my assignments without getting stuck for to long and I got decent grades, although it's probably a good thing I went towards Sysadmin in the end because I have completely forgotten everything I learned, much to the amusement of the WOT goons.

<
< Oh poo poo, this should tell you all you need to know.
<

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Holy poo poo, my workplace is full of drama right now. The hot admin girl that was hired after me now makes just shy of £30,000 a year, is only 24 and is clearly the bosses favourite admin girl. The rest of them are pissed off about this, as they've been working there twice as long, don't get paid as much and are way more experienced. This wasn't an issue until today, where it surfaced that:

- She's been given 3 raises in four months

- While everyone else has to drive across the country to get to seminars, she goes on first class flights with the boss

- On the last one, he bought her an expensive watch, which cost around £400-£500

- She is now getting a company car, either a brand new BMW or Audi, her choice.

She's in an office full of women who describe themselves as fairly competitive, all of whom are getting really annoyed at this behaviour, especially as none of these benefits are being thrown there way in the slightest and because this girl is still, you know, kinda new. The support side has just been watching all day as emails (that are cc'd to everyone) are flying around, people are glaring and being snotty with eachother, no work is getting done and people are spreading rumours (the most common one being my married boss is sleeping with her, of course).

This poo poo is like school all over again, but with more money and cars.

All this poo poo over a simple little seminar where we show off our software to various clients, who all have caught wind that something is going on as well. This company is hilariously inept.

(I didn't know where to put this, as its not pissing me off, but its not really a ticket)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jim truds posted:

If she is not sleeping with him then he really wants her to and we will get a great story about your bosses sexual assault charges.

I guarantee you that if that happens, I will post in great detail.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Sounds like a whole lot of jealousy to me. Haters gonna hate! :)

Yup, today its all died down. If I was in her position i'd be rolling in the benefits quite happily. Its just dumb that she posted that she got the watch on Facebook (and put her work friends on there, i've refused to do that), because now everyone's found out everyone wants perks.

Also, unrelated, but gently caress x-ray machines and everything they stand for.

e: My boss has decided to buy pizza for the entire office. I've never tasted guilt pizza before. Guilt pizza tastes good.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 13, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about situations like that.
I can understand being pissed at someone who is extremely aggressive and always looking out for #1 who doesn't mind doing dirty poo poo to get ahead.
But on the other hand, imagine being a totally incompetent idiot who has to live a life where they suck old-man dick to keep a job so they can pay their rent.

Yeah, I just shrug and laugh at it. Sucking old man dick for money? They deserve it, old man dick must be awful.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hi there, helpdesk worker with a CCNA here. I joined a helpdesk because the job market sucked and nothing better has come along. I am intending on jumping ship as soon as I can, but thats more of an issue with my company being loving awful than anything else. My CCNA was included in my college IT course, so almost anyone around here who wants to do anything in IT has one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

wintermuteCF posted:

Edit: From where I'm situated, I can hear the helpdesk of this company chattering away behind me. I'll have to start keeping track of some of their choicest quotes; they're not the brightest crayons in the box.

Please do. I actually find it funnier listening to people who think they're smart talk rather than hearing people who aren't bright talk at this point.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A CCNA isn't that hard if you're willing to apply yourself depending on the level, granted. If its just starting out and you have the basic grasp of a network, CCNA should come easy enough.

Hell, I have one and i'm a loving idiot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't know if i'm happy or not. My job is going from general helpdesk (solve everything) to first line (i can keep a call for a day, after that, I pass it on to second line support.

See, on the one hand i'm happy because really lovely tickets aren't my problem anymore. On the other hand, there goes all sense of achievement in solving them. As a side note, whoever thought that it was a good idea to release 8 different configurations of my companies new software and tell the support guys that we have to support it without any training is a oval office of the highest order.

Yes, that word was needed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm making all preparations on leaving my lovely job right now. I apparently have to give a months notice so I figured I'll have the letter of resignation ready. What's the proper way to do this? Is it just a short explanation or is it something a bit more in depth?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Give them a formalized letter stating you are leaving and highest level of why(e.g. further career, knowledge, maybe financial, etc); if in a senior position or more than two weeks you may want to offer some form of assistance to find your replacement; don't burn bridges!!!

But before you leave document everything you can, regardless how insignificant it may seem to you.

Luckily for me I don't have to offer to help find a replacement and i'm not in a senior position. Half the reason i'm leaving is because these assholes won't trust me to log into a database, right click and select "run".

I keep volunteering to do things out of hours and I keep getting turned down because i'm not experienced enough, which is bullshit. I'm just going to say that I need to advance my career and work closer to home, because right now its an hour's journey each way.

E: Oh gently caress this place, I just got an email, starting Wednesday my position goes from helpdesk to first line support. New rules are no leaving the desk without permission from a manager (this includes visits to the loo), no consulting with other first line guys if an issue is out of your knowledge (which is going to be great for when we get a call regarding their issue, as we can't pass calls to other first line guys) and i'm not allowed to spend time resolving issues if the first solution doesn't work.

gently caress. This. I'd walk out now if I didn't want the reference.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

three posted:

Some people will never understand this.

Well, luckily I do. I'm applying to every job within distance right now, i'll take anything of equivalent wage that's roughly the same distance. This place is toxic.

E: Before I was just applying for things that were straight upgrades. I'm cool moving sideways so long as I get to a better work environment.

• Locked thread