Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah you learn that stuff fast anyway, i resorted to disease demons in my very first MP game vs the ridiculous EA Machaka Trex sacreds where they were effectively unkillable with the resources i had so i went after the priests guiding them turning them from unstoppable monsters to mildly less scary unstoppable monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I said 50%, not 100%! I'm not saying that it totally predetermines everything, just that in comparison with other tbs, it's much more important. You can think "I'm good, I could do it well with some random picks and compensate playing perfect, doing good diplomacy, etc". But still you could do it twice as good with picks where you put proper thoughts, research and experience at work.

The main frontload thing id really note is just gem site seeding, sometimes you can get incredibly lovely seeds where you dont find a single gemsite for the paths you have while ones you dont have languish undiscovered until end game. That and not getting any indie mages to help broaden your paths while others might get 2-3 recruitment sites. That said i dont know the mechanics of how sites are determined so maybe its completely opposite.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Neruz posted:

Dogpiles are wierd in the current meta though; current goons seem to mostly be loving terrible at diplomacy and negotiations and I've seen a lot of situations where one nation really should have been dogpiled but wasn't because the nations around it never managed to get their poo poo together.

Yeah im experiencing this right now, part of this comes down to maps as well wherein maps that only wraparound in one direction often leave you unable to fight someone on the other end of the world that you really really need to. It happens in so many goddam games.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

What do you do to recall your pretender?

Set anyone that has holy levels to "Call God" it takes 50 points worth of priest levels to call one back so for example 1 level 5 person would take 10 turns on their own and so on.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Of all the titles to get, why beverage. Dont drink my goddess you jerks.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Malcolm posted:

Rum fountain?

Make a fountain of alcohol that gives all units within its dominion berserk +1/2/3/4/5 if over 5 candles to simulate nation of zealot alcoholics.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Speleothing posted:

New idea: Throne of Music

Throne of the Necrodancer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0u6FFlrmUA

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Hi I made a suggestion thread on the official dominions four forums please chip in if you feel you have anything to add

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dear-illwinter-please-make-your-game-less-sexist

Cool people over at desura dot com

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
http://puu.sh/bTqyh/be02e30c9e.jpg

Ok so i guess undying works on the strategic map as well for permabless units like prophets and shroud users?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

amuayse posted:

If you take the shroud off, will he die?

No idea to be honest the shroud was just a guess on my part as ive only had it happen to my prophet here (in this case a hit from wrath of god). If i had to guess if he ever goes into battle again he'll die at the end.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Please make better use of the things i am feeding you in my anti flavah campaign given that im out of the game more or less.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Are they E9N9 Ancient Ones?

Yes, with Awe.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

therewasareallygoodnamehere

Imma go AI, there's nothing I can do to stop Agartha's momentum at this point

Hooray the coalition worked. Seeing as im tiny and have a stupid as gently caress build im going to tap out as well, Congrats Shachar!

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Supaya looked really good until i saw the MR resist on the weapon. The mummify mechanic is pretty neat though needing to sacrifice 2 STR units to get the full strength Mallqui is bit painful. The magic versatility is cool though in the end theres only so many spells you can cast in battle/one thing you can do per turn.

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 4, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jsoh posted:

lizard shamans

f9 bless does damage even if the mr negates portion of the attack fails

Yeah i figured the F9 might avoid that pitfall. And hey Nazca has a chassis with innate W1F1 that also doesnt have S1 stapled on like Neter of Kings.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Slaan posted:

So how do you install a mod then for Dom4? I made a Mods folder in the game directory and placed all the files in there, but it isn't showing up in game.

The game tools section on the main menu will have an option to open up where it stores maps and mods both labelled as such, its appdata on windows dont know mac/linux sorry.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Whats it like having the huge gem site discovery bonus? I got knocked out by Agartha early on (and weirdly enough dont even show up as having been in the game on brainwrinkle?????) so i didnt get to see much of the gem usage.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I really like Valanis i think a lot of people got burned out at launch/beta though because it seemed like half the games hosted were on it. Its been over a year now so id say people would be more than ready for it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Jesus ive never seen a bunch of these despite playing since release of dom4.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I found something interesting. Nation tier list & mini summary by TeamLiquid's KissBlade
http://pastebin.com/MNrJ3ZQh

Also a comparison of paths in all the Nations
http://i.imgur.com/i3Ppmq5.png

Neato i didnt realise liquid had a community, its nice to see the game being bigger than just 2-3 forums.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

Though I knew I had a large research advantage (going from memory so might be a little off):
1) I bordered almost all of the human players, and Man, Marignon, and Pythium were still decent sized at that point and I was worried about getting dog piled.

Eh that was never really a threat tbh, i was man and almost my entire territory was swamp or mountains etc so my income and map movement was garbage. Me and pythium fought for a little while having a back and forth but unfortunately with no gems, gold, forts etc i just fell when Pythium invaded and the uncontested Mari took my cap.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Waldmeister has finally ended with a victory for me as TNN! Here are some graphs

I had a fairly quiet early game where i rolled over nearby Xibalba without any effort because poor Xibalba cant really deal with W9 Tuatha warriors, then i took over machaka who tried to warn me off with flaming arrows the same turn i researched arrow fend. I rushed them due to scouting showing Machaka to have little to nothing to fight me on top of the throne of fire which when combined with my water throne made my sacreds incredibly scary + opened up fire as a path for me.

My empire then sort of neatly wrapped around Fomoria who id been friendly with up until that point, i was debating attacking Abysia because the thought of a blood astral power in the lategame wasnt too tempting but both of us had set ourselves up to be impossible to invade with a sort of unofficial NAP, the amount of rivers and mountains between us meant that either attacking side was at a major disadvantage so i just cloud trapezed a shitton of mages into Fomoria.

During this Helheim eventually agreed to try help Fomoria against me but came far too late and we fought a bunch of one sided battles where i killed some queens and then they went AI same as Fomoria.

My eventual expansion into Fomoria, Helheim and Marveni after losing outcrops of Vanheim and Arcosephale.

The Gods of Waldmeister

Eventually it was me vs Abysia with a bunch of AIs, i should note that Rlyeh did more or less nothing the entire game and then AI'd out, we only ever fought a single battle 2 turns before i won despite having our capitals within 1 province of each other. Abysia eventually put up astral corruption like i feared and started dispelling my globals, id been mass summoning troops + forging as many things as possible beforehand so this didnt really matter all that much to me. I had fairly large armies spread across the entire world rapidly expanding into AI territory as well as mages loaded up with gems for elemental summons to solo them. With no other players there was no lategame diplomacy and it made the entire affair very quiet with me ignoring horror attacks to simply rushdown thrones that hadnt been taken or were only forted up with palisades. The only worry i had endgame was a former kitfox fort that had maxxed out defences but fortunately i had so many great eagles, wall shakers and gate cleavers that i smashed in the gate the same turn i took the province. Forging artifacts actually turned out to be pretty important for me, key ones were doppelganger amulet to sneak around my dragon and avoid horrors and what thrones i was headed for, sword of injustice for convenient throne capping any place i had a Ri or Sidhe lord and flying boat to get big armies to the thrones as quickly as possible for the seige when AC got up making cloud trapeze a no-no.

The final worldmap.

Yotsuyu Yagiyama wins~

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 27, 2015

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Research is overrated, Kitfox vindicated.

Given how top heavy research is in dom4 the graph kinda doesnt really show it but i have 9 conj and then 8 in everything but blood so i have more or less all the tools i wanted.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Libluini posted:

Yeah, generally by the end of game, most of your mages should be running around doing poo poo, not doing research. Also someone with level 9 in everything would probably have a flat line in that graph, regardless of how many mages he really has. :v:

Yeah Arco maxxed out and funnily enough the AI ended up helping me by hurting an Abysian army a little in the lategame which was a nice suprise.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I remember a map we used for a christmas game back in 2013/12 had a map with a bunch of deliberate "warpgate" style provinces like that guarded by the equivalent of dom4 throne defence, it was neat, giant hexagon thing with everyone having perfectly equal provinces.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Also illwinter seems to have forgotten about their new ocean rust mechanic because half of EA rlyehs stuff will just start rusting immediately including your starting commander + troops

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Speaking of no connections, is there an ETA on the Deism postmortem?

Yeah id love to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

That 100 slave spell that constantly decreases enemy dominion and attacks people building temples or preachers seems a little too useful to go with blood saccing.

• Locked thread