Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

amuayse posted:

giga niggas.

Wow, that was loving racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Tulip posted:

Is Abysia still abysmally lovely?

SA's very own master LPer Quovak already did an MLP LP. I'd watch a MLP conversion Dom4 LP if only for the massive, endless, impossibly sweet goon tears.

Can't you just get a low-supply province and fill it with lovely troops? Disease will start to set in after 2 turns of low supply.

Nah you need commanders, and commanders are exempt from the detrimental effects of supply.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Fleur Bleu posted:

edit: also looks like the chalice doesn't work on tarts anymore.

:stare:

How do they want you to heal undead then?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

alansmithee posted:

CBM was a big portion of why I quit playing the game before. It went from something that attempted minor balance tweaks to something that seriously transformed the game and simply reinforced the playstyles favored by the dudes who wrote it and a few of the people they commonly played with. The dudes at Illwinter may not be the best at balancing stuff, but I still think they did a better job than some of the later versions of CBM I saw.

Eh, other folks don't really like CBM either. Plenty of other folks worked on or released mod sets.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

team overhead smash posted:

So how is multiplayer at the moment? Trying to decide if I should get it now or hold off.

The game isn't officially released yet.... Sooooo nonexistant.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

builds character posted:

Everyone gets rolled at first.

Heh, says you. :smug:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Well this is going to be the quickest duel ever.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Kin33 posted:

Would be neat to watch later to see how two good players play dom4.

quote:

Good players

Ahahahahahahahh

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You are good compared to the majority of us proles :colbert:.

If this blitz is proof, that is so far from true. :v:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Libluini posted:

Honestly, I'm relieved. I could never quite wrap my head around how reverse communions were supposed to work and hosed up again and again while trying to set them up. Making working communions was quite a feat for me already!

Honestly, this is a big reason in why I'm not too broken up at their removal. I feel like a lot of the notable changes they've made are things that are unintuitive. They've removed things that newer play aren't going to learn outside of just straight up having someone tell them. (like reverse communions) I don't really have a problem with them simplifying the game in that manner. I'm okay with making the skill ceiling more obtainable if it means making the game more accessible.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Victor Vermis posted:

Isn't "Hotseat" just playing a MP game with everyone using one computer? You can do this. It was possible in Dom3, too. Start a new game with every nation set to "Human".

Yeah, when you hit end turn it will return you to the main screen area where you select a new nation. So hot seat is possible.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

TheDemon posted:

Like, in the duel I streamed, I decided to use the D1 H1 researcher instead of the W1 H1 100% AWSN researcher. That's because I knew, for W2 there was nothing in my research plan and no water battle booster, for A1 W1 there's nothing, same for W1 N1, and W1 S1 I won't have enough to communion to W3 consistently for falling frost. On the other hand, I needed H1 for blessing, even if D1 isn't very useful, but overall the D1 mage was half price for -2 rp, and all the extra paths on the water mage weren't useful to my research plan.

I just want to interject here and say that while efficiency is great, there is something to be said for research speed. If you have an early game research goal that you need/want to get to early, its still sometimes worth recruiting inefficient mages that maximize your research per turn instead of efficient ones.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Any new people (like myself) want to try learning the game by playing against each other? I don't see much point in playing against the AI if it's as horrible as people in this thread are saying?

There will definitely be a flood of newbie only games going up as soon as the game goes live (I'll be admining a good chunk if no one else does). I'm sure you could organize one during the beta easily enough too.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Kin33 posted:

Turns out that using aoe evocations with a blood 9 bless is a bad idea.

Kin33 posted:

Except, in my situation, it was my own mages collateral damage hitting my own blood 9 blessed troops.

This is the most wonderful story. :allears:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

How are u posted:

Try any of the ape nations, where 95% of their units are Animals that get a big penalty to sieges.

Pretty sure the animal siege penalty is just a thing people made up.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

brainwrinkle posted:

It's rather unlikely anyone will be playing Dominions 3 online after the release of Dominions 4. That's the main reason to get 4.

This is absolutely the reason you should get Dominions 4 instead of 3. Multiplayer really makes this game, and the extra cost is totally worth being able to play multiplayer.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

builds character posted:

Look at this incredibly well-written LP that discusses just such a topic (among many others, including how great the fat guy from lost really is SO GREAT!!!).

This loving LP

Fixed that so people could actually click the link.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Superterranean posted:

what, exactly, is this interaction? I still don't get it.

Undying lets your units drop to -undying value before they actually die. The reason this would be so great with jags (and second shape in general) is that it gives you multiple extra batches of HP. In your first form you get an extra 8 hp or whatever from undying, you pop, change shapes into the jaguar form and get another extra 8 hp. This is my assumption anyways, I haven't actually tested it with jaguars or not to see if the negative hp value just ends up transferring to the second form or not.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Catoblepas, people. :v:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

tooterfish posted:

If they did take it out, they've put it back in now.

It's a precision 100, AOE 5, ranged murder vs MR check in my game.

Are you sure its save or die? In vanilla it was the same thing but AN 15 damage instead of death in dom3. DE mod just increased the damage from 15 to 999.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 22, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Wolfsbane posted:

Yeah, they're fairly similar to jags, but their second form doesn't stick around (hence they all died) and causes fear (which I'm starting to think may be a little OP).

They have a N9 bless because I haven't given the nation any good way to access F9 or W9.

If they're recruit everywhere, cause fear is a really, really, really powerful ability. Especially on a sacred. Even if they're not recruit everywhere its still really nice.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

wshngmchn posted:

I'm trying to learn Mictlan, but I have to assume all of the guides out there might be outdated.

From what I understand, in Dom 3 a decent approach would have been to get good bless, good dominion, poor scale; buy Jaguar Warriors and national priests; place forts rather quickly; eventually start trading income for blood; jade knives, brazen vessels, Ozelotls, etc.

Is that still basically how they work? I've tried out the early game against the AI several times, and most of that still seems to apply but poor scale early forts make it hard to expand and defend. I always end up with very little land/income.

You can generally get decent scales while still having an okay-to-good bless. Something like a single major (F9 or W9) is very easy to play, while still making your jaguars effective. This leaves you with enough points to purchase a nice set of scales, especially if your pretender is imprisoned. Then you can leverage your decent income with your still effective sacreds to crush all your enemies. Also all that other stuff isn't dependent on your scales, but is still important to do; so do those things too.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Libluini posted:

Well, there was a certain someone who used thunder strike to great effect. Then again, if you can move 50+ mage communions to completely outclass your competition, I guess research isn't a problem anymore. :v:

I think he was saying that they require a lot of research, so you should recruit eagle kings to research it (and cast it once you have thunder strike). Might just be my reading though.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I unironically think Caelum is one of the best nations in MA. Its definitely a nation that requires a lot more effort to succeed, but they are good once you get going.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

NinjaDebugger posted:

According to the mod guide, a fire or cold resistance of 5+ protects you from the fatigue effects of the appropriate aura. Also by the mod guide, it looks like heat/cold auras don't vary their strength, only their area.

So that confirms how I thought heat and cold auras worked in dom3.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
3.99i is out now. As always you can download from the desura website if you don't have the client installed. http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
3.99j has dropped today, but I don't have a change log and I'm not going to install the Desura client to find one. Someone tell us what's in it.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

LordSloth posted:

*I cannot figure out what water is boosting. It should be defense, but it is either bugged or changed.

Dom4 changed A, W, and F to be lightning, frost, and fire resistance instead of precision, defense, and attack respectively.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
If you cast a spell that would set you over 200 fatigue you automatically get put to 200 fatigue. The only time this doesn't apply is when a master casts a spell that would set a communion slave over 200 fatigue, then it starts doing damage to the communion slaves. Also having 2 path ranks over a spell doesn't decrease the fatigue to 1/4th, it decrease it to 1/3rd. The formula is 1/1+n where n is the number of paths you have over the required amount.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

jBrereton posted:

It totally does.

I used a Debug Sensei empowered to S10 to cast Master Enslave with the bare minimum 8 gems, and they were at 189 fatigue after casting. With extra gems, it was 115.

Errr, did it have anything else on it in terms of boosting items or special abilities (lots of reinvig?). At just base S10 and 10 pearls you couldn't get master enslave down to 115 fatigue so I'm curious to hear about your setup.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

jBrereton posted:

Made sure to test it again in a province definitely without Magic scales, goes to 163 fatigue with extra gems, then goes down by five points per turn, so I'm pretty sure there's no additional reinvigoration (there's certainly none listed in the unit information tab).

Quite naked, S10 just through empowerment rather than anything else.

No, the 163 makes sense and is exactly what I would expect. Thanks!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Pierzak posted:

Anyone have the old "999 dmg I want to believe" RNG pic on hand?

(It's in the OP)

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
The direct download link from Desura's website now works. Please update your game to 4.01.

:siren: THE DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK NOW WORKS. GO UPDATE YOU FUCKERS. :siren:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

amuayse posted:

Just curious. What mages did you recruit for what purpose for EA C'tis? I haven't really played them outside of single player. I know that Sauromancers being StR is a big deal though.

The answer is sauromancers. Just never stop recruiting them.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
:siren: New Game Alert! :siren:

To celebrate the release of Dominions 4 (finally) I am throwing up three new games. Two of these games will be newbie only games and one will be everyone welcome. None of them will be disciple games, maximum of 12 players in each game. Will find a map once I see the number of players. If the newbies games fill up exceptionally quickly I will admin a third and maybe fourth. Lyre and Harp will be newbies only, Dulcimer will be open to everyone.

Lyre and Harp will be EA and MA respectively, Dulcimer will be EA. Edit: Will most likely be randomly generated maps for each. Deal with its vets.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 11, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Asehujiko posted:

How involved are these newbie games time-wise? Is it better to just pick one or can I enter both for double learning experience?

The turns are essentially as short or as long as you want them to be. Early on they will be very short, but end game turns will generally last a good deal longer if you want them to. This being said, I pretty much never spend more than 15 minutes on a turn; even if I'm huge in the late stages of a game.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Decrepus posted:

From the OP. All newbies heed this advice.

e: by newbie I mean actual newbie and not SA "played the game for 3 years but not 100% sure about their late-game strategy newbie"

I stopped talking to my neighbors because that requires more :effort: than I am willing to put into this game.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Since all three games filled up in a couple of hours I'm adding another newbie game Violin taking place in LA, and another all players welcome game Viola which will take place in MA. Same guidelines as the other two.

Edit: As a side note, I would appreciate it if people stayed away from Lemuria and Rlyeh for Violin, just because they tend to be problems that newbies don't really know how to deal with and make learning the game kind of unfun. Thanks!

Lilli fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 12, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Squalid posted:

drat those newbie games filled up quick. Oh well guess I might as well take the plunge and face some real experienced players.

Absum posted:

I wanted to wait until this was in sale but I coudn't take it anymore.

I've signed up for brainwrinkle but I'll be looking around sp first for a bit, but all games are full anyway :v:.

I'll be throwing up one last newbie game on brainwrinkle soon, age TBD, same rules as the others.

Edit: Okay Cello is up, feel free to sign up. Pending Tenjou's approval it will be on proactiveapathy, but if not I'll work out a different host.

Editx2: Also, Cello, Violin, and Viola all have servers now, please upload your gods as soon as possible.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

jBrereton posted:

A better question is perhaps "what even constitutes 'late game' with the introduction of thrones as a very tight victory condition, and the enormous increase in high-level research costs?". Might be the case that we very rarely see anything above research level 7/8 at all ever.

I mean, not all games will feature throne victory conditions, but yeah throne win conditions will definitely place a more reasonable time limit on winning than games otherwise have. I think it will be possible for stuff to get late enough if the game is sizably large, but you'll see a much greater reliance on battle mages than on SCs/Thugs like it was in Dom3.

Edit: Also just going to throw out here that all gurus can cast stellar cascades and soul slay (If light of the north star is cast) which are both very, very good spells. Very useful, especially considering the B9 changes.

• Locked thread