Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm, I have some money and I liked the last one, think I might preorder this. Real-life stuff screwed me over a bit when I tried to play with goons a year or so ago, but fortunately that stuff's taken care of.

Since we're discussing whether or not nations are still good/bad, is Caelum still self-defeating with their unique stuff? They were neat as hell but them more or less killing themselves sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheDemon posted:

Playing Dom4 really reminds me that both CBM and AG/AE had MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE power creep. I think people do like higher power games though, but it's a matter of careful measured implementation for basic balance mods like what CBM ought to be. With AwesomeMods specifically the objective is at least partially explicitly power creep. Zauper's mod as it was in Dom3 was pretty schizo since it seemed unfinished, unfortunately, but it's basically the same as AwesomeMods in terms of creep.

A very low power creep balance mod is what we need, I think, to properly differentiate from AM or CBM.

How hard is it to learn Dom3/4 modding? An idea I had for a mod was, well, basically something that tried to bring the bad nations up to the level of the good ones (and possibly bring the absurd ones down a peg or two) without going to AwesomeMod levels or drastically changing their feel. I like both yours and Ninja's ideas, but as you say, you guys put your own spins on them. I think it'd be kind of neat to be able to play all the nations the way they're "meant" to be (loosely speaking; I mean something close to their vanilla incarnations basically), minus the horrible sucking.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheDemon posted:

It's not difficult, it's all text-editor work, but it's very time consuming. I posted the Dom4 mod manual earlier in the thread. Although, there's no documentation on things like Spell IDs yet, those were all fan-made in Dom3. More pertinent questions are how much free time do you have that you're willing to dedicate to very time-consuming and meticulous work, and how good are you at in-game assessment? One of the problems in recent CBM was the person administering it didn't play multiplayer much anymore and wasn't very good at assessing balance problems or assessing their solutions.

Got a fair amount of free time and such, so I'm okay on that front. In-game assessment... Going to need some work there, bit out of practice to say the least. Figured taking advice and suggestions would help though, as well as playing test games. And of course actually playing the game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LordLeckie posted:

I thought the animal siege penalty was that they dont contribute/reduced contribute to fort defence

Yeah, animals (and things like lobo guards) can't defend well. They can still smash things, and that includes walls and gates.

Anyway, I'm going to see something on this topic soon, so I'll report my findings when, well, I find them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

builds character posted:

:stare:

I think maybe it would be better to listen to TheDemon than to you. Because maybe this advice is not very good. Thunder strike and orb lightning require a lot of research and eagle kings are awesome.

Also, Shimmering Fields isn't Evo 9, it's Evo 7, most of Caelum's infantry is terrible due to encumbrance/fatigue issues and using it is generally a bad idea, the yazatas are amazing even without a bless (especially when combined with False Horror spam and Panic from Wall Shakers for fear-stacking to make their Awe even better, and of course a Storm to ground everyone else), and a lot of other things. Also using only two mammoths in an army is not a great idea because, unless I've been lied to like with the animal and siege stuff, squads below a certain size get morale penalties or something, and mammoth morale is only average. But, yeah, that post has issues, to say the least.

Evocation is definitely a good thing to rush though, since Thunder Strike, Storm, and Summon Storm Power turn all your Caelian Seraphs and High Seraphs into terrifying death machines, and even Spire Horn Seraphs can spam Lightning Bolt in a storm. You mages can even cast Aim on themselves before the storm goes up so they suck less at hitting their targets. (Wind Guide does the same with more research and less effort so you can get to the blasting sooner.) Caelum can get through the early and mid game solely by throwing lightning at anything that looks at it funny in many situations. Definitely want to pick up some things from other schools too, though.

Demiurge4 posted:

This game is really hard, I've been toying against the AI (I really like the Dawn Map) and I am desperately trying to make Caelum work for me with a Virtue pretender but it just sucks :( People here keep saying that only multiplayer is real fun though so how does it work exactly? What are average turn times?

Besides the above, let's see. The Virtue is a great SC, even right out of the box, but unequipped, bad luck can and probably will kill her, and she's so costly you have to sacrifice quite a bit to get her. (Though if you do use her without items, at least have her cast Air Shield, plus other self-buffs when you get them.) Also, mammoth expansion is perfectly fine, so she isn't really giving you much and you're risking a lot using her. I recommend a pretender to get you some nice cross-paths (Air, Earth, and Astral is my favorite combination but others work too) and some scales (Order 3, Sloth 3, Cold 3, and a bit of Magic at the least) personally.

Depending on the age, some things change as well. EA wants to leverage its Eagle Kings, which are cap-only, while MA has High Seraphs, who are a bit weaker but can be recruited everywhere so you'll have far more. Former might want a bless, while the latter has only the horrible Temple Guard to bless until it starts summoning yazatas. LA Caelum wants to crawl in a hole and die because it gives up things like Caelum's great Air access for middling Earth and Death while keeping the whole "troops overexert themselves and die" issue, among other issues. (I do not like LA Caelum, despite liking EA and the MA incarnation being my favorite nation in the game.)

As for multiplayer, it's really fun, yes. Check out the PGS thread for more details, or get on IRC. Turns start at a day each usually(though they move forward immediately when everyone gets their turn in) and get extended when the game goes on as more and more needs to be done each turn. There's actually a newbie game starting soon (though Caelum is claimed, but while they're a good nation for learning battlemagic they aren't the best newbie nation anyway), so you have a few days to get in on that if you want.

Edit: TL;DR version: Caelum needs decent scales and paths other than (or in addition to) Air more than it needs an early expansion SC. Also Thunder Strike rocks and get it as fast as you can.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 25, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Demiurge4 posted:

So Caelum is pretty poo poo huh? That's a shame because I like them thematically, I suppose my next choice would be Agartha or Ulm, both of those are pretty cool as well as Helheim. Basically all the cold nations seem really cool. I'll have to not get attached to certain pretenders for their look and go by stats, but I'll sign up for that newbie game so I can be easy fodder and hopefully learn a little doing so!

As Lilli said, Caelum's actually really, really good. EA and MA at least. In Dom3 it was somewhat hampered by its main form of attack being pretty easy to become immune to, which combined with their single focus giving them a relatively weak endgame, but given the new resistance mechanics and there being a way to win besides "annihilate everyone else" they're doing better, to say the least.

Also, looking for a better nation and thinking about Agartha... Ooh boy. I think MA Agartha is/was in the running for worst nation in the game? Helheim's good but the slow-to-recruit change (and particularly it being applied to their main research mage in addition to their actual best unit) has brought them down a peg from Dom3. Not sure about Ulm, but I've heard people describing issues with how they're the non-magic nation in a game where magic is what wins, so. At the least, if you play them, don't fall into the trap of going Construction first; despite what you might think it doesn't help them.

But, yeah. Again, as Lilli said, Caelum's not an easy nation to use and probably doesn't make a good starter nation either, since they play a bit differently from the other nations and will probably teach you bad habits. Go with... Hm, crud, I don't know what the good newbie nations are. Not a water nation though, those play differently as well. Freespawn-popkill nations (MA Ermor, LA R'lyeh, Asphodel, I think Lemuria) aren't good choices either. I guess someone with a strong focus on at least one path for learning battlemagic (Abysia with Fire, for example) wouldn't be a bad start, since battlemagic is a thing you /need/ to learn. The *heims aren't actually bad either, for learning about things like gearing thugs and raiding, but I don't know if they're the best first choice.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 25, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hinnom actually can't summon them. Ashdod and Gath can though; for some reason they get proper angels as summons rather than demons and the Grigori. Don't know why Heaven started favoring them again, all things considered, but, yeah.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decrepus posted:

How much resistance do I need to withstand heat and cold auras with this new system?

If you mean the kind that surrounds enemy units, then it just needs to surpass the strength of their aura I think. Damage number versus a reduction number and all. Edit: Or what he said, hell if I know how auras damage people.

If you mean avoiding fatigue from Heat/Cold 3 dominion scales, I think it's just at least one point of resistance, as it was before. Haven't tested it extensively, but seeing as nations with Heat/Cold 3 preference frequently have units whose resistances are <10, I assume it's not too high.

Tangent on the new resistance system, but among other things it has made it so that the Ancient Kraken doesn't poison itself with its own attacks, despite not having especially high poison resistance. That is a thing that always bothered me slightly when I used it, even though it wasn't a big deal.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 29, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slaan posted:

PHWOOOOW! PHWOOOOW! PHWOOW!

There is a reason I don't play Mammoth/Elephant nations. Or if I do, I don't use them. :colbert:

Shhh, little monkeys. I still love you. :(

You're missing out. One of the greatest things to use the new formations for is making a line of mammoths/elephants that stretches across the battlefield. Not only does it look cool, but it makes it harder for enemies to surround them and thus stab them to death.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

amuayse posted:

I'm trying to figure out Late Age Caelum in Dominions 4. Harab Elders are StR and Cap-Only, and their troops get MASSIVE fatigue due to their armor. Their archers might as well be shooting rubber bands due to it being late age and shortbows. Roland Jones's line of mammoths work pretty well for expansion, but is also pretty expensive.
Construction 4 brings out earth boots, and that syncs well with your Iron Crafters, but that means you have to level alteration to get any decent earth combat spells.
Any suggestions?

LA Caelum is bad. There is no getting around it. All their mages suck except their cap-only ones, and Caelum's troops have always sucked. LA it's more noticeable though because not only do they have the problems Caelum has always had, comparatively their equipment is terrible; like their archers, their melee infantry are equipped for EA rather than LA. Not that era-appropriate gear would fix all their other problems, but it certainly doesn't help.

Rain of Stones is fun and all, but honestly my advice is to play a different nation. EA and MA Caelum are great if you play them right, but LA Caelum is just not good.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 3, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are a few H4 national summons. Like, two of the Spenta, at least one of the Grigori, maybe a few others? Might also be an H4 hero out there, though I doubt it. H4 is not common.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jsoh posted:

OR you can just start a game on a big map with fifty thrones on it and look at the list in the statistics.

That doesn't get all of them. There's more than five level 3 thrones, for example. Is definitely a good way to see a lot though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bramble posted:

So just as a matter of theorycraft, what would an EA Pelagia player do if he wanted to invade the land? Is there a powerful or obvious summon that strong water mages get that I just don't see? Can Mermen be supported by mermages in such a way that they aren't merely average?

Besides the above, a big thing for Pelagia is that it, unlike nearly every other water nation, has national, amphibious units with shields. Still not great dudes, but that's far more arrow protection than basically every other water nation.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheDemon posted:

Speaking of, I'm thinking of authoring a balance mod focusing on avoiding power creep and keeping gameplay similar to the base game, as much as possible anyway. I think national balance has to be first on the agenda, given that Dom4 changes, even global ones, mostly affect that. And also that it's easy to mod all national stuff without a dom4db or mod inspector. Any ideas for what to look at first?

As above, and maybe some way of making it so that Yomi doesn't have to choose between weakening all its units and simply not being able to afford them. Different nation, the Yazatas of Caelum need to be cheaper and/or you need to get more per casting of that spell; not only are they dramatically overpriced, but as-is Caelum can't actually naturally summon them (except MA Caelum with a really lucky random or a traded/pretender-forged booster) so your ability to actually get them out is really limited even before the anemic quantity you get per casting. MA/LA R'lyeh's Starspawn need to be recruit-everywhere again because, while STR is a welcome change, cap-only is painful.

On a global level, the elemental royalty should probably be up to 5 or 6 in their paths (F6 for the King of Flames, King of Magma should actually be able to cast the Magma spells, etc.). Temporary gemgens of types other than astral, water, and earth would be nice too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 19, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Sean posted:

Is there some hidden mechanic for reducing encumbrance (possibly experience)? I have an arch devil and an ice devil that both have one less encumbrance than they should have (i.e. 0 for an ice devil wearing a 0-enc shadow robe, when their starting enc. is 1).

It's probably experience. Your guys have some experience discs from fighting a lot?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Speleothing posted:

There's an Astral version that works on undead and the other sorts that are excluded from regular GoR. Forget what it's called.

Divine Name, but it's not that Gift of Reason doesn't work on undead now. It does still. It's just that it doesn't work on Mindless creatures, such as gargoyles. Divine Name does, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 23, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If this was an event hitting a province, then it might be a Dream Horror lurking there, whether from a random event or Send Dream Horror (another Blood spell). If that's what it is, you'll need to patrol the province to find the thing, then kill it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

wshngmchn posted:

"Agartha is perhaps the most tragic of the nations in Dominions. Surviving oracles cling to memories of a glorious past unable to stop the unavoidable disappearance of their ancient race. I wanted a sense of loss to permeate the nation."

I haven't played much of this game, but it seems to be more about narrative than balance. I think they're fine.

The narrative of Agartha is fine. Them being dramatically weaker then most other nations is not. The level of imbalance here and how useless a lot of things are are not good game design.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 7, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dirk the Average posted:

I think it's more of the idea that they want to bring the nation up to par in ways other than just giving pale ones the same statline as a human.

Stats kind of define a unit as far as the mechanics are concerned, though. If they're too low then they are bad, barring weird extra qualities. Saying that fixing the fundamental problem with a thing shouldn't be done because that's boring is ridiculous.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

amuayse posted:

I hate how late game Dominions becomes a battle in how much you care about the game

I've been reading this thread and getting interested in Dominions again, and this is one of the biggest factors keeping me from picking it back up. That and my having flaked horribly on past games and feeling guilty about it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm taking a look at this game again because I make poor decisions, and a lot has changed. Among other things they just threw Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu in as Caelian gods and added evil counterparts to the Spenta and other summons, which is kind of neat. Also there's Nazca, which is apparently Caelum + Mictlan + Ermor maybe? How are they? I'm taking a look at their units and holy crap the Royal Mallqui. Only 10% chance of extra paths and a ludicrous cost, but, wow. That's ridiculous.

I should really stop looking at all this stuff because it's making me want to play again.

Edit: And just discovered Ragha, another Caelum-influenced nation. Wow, Caelum got a lot of love while I wasn't playing. What's up with them? I'm taking a look and they have temperature-dependent recruitment? This seems like a gimmick that is cool in theory and annoying in practice.

Edit again: Several Caelian pretender chassis reference being able to project their "guardian spirit". Is that just flavor text or do they actually do something special?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 30, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Koth posted:

Royal Mallqui are something you should never, ever be building as Nazca, as there's a way to get them for free(aside from the lol upkeep costs) with much better paths. See the flavor text regarding a Mallqui being a deceased Coya and Inca? It's not joking. Whenever one of them dies, the game will kill off one of the opposite ones too, and you'll get a Royal Mallqui that has the exact paths of both combined. If you don't have any of the opposite, you'll still get one, but with only the single unit's paths.

Oh dang, I thought that's what it was hinting at but given my past Dominions experiences I didn't think it'd actually be capable of pulling that off. Neat; they've been working on this a lot. And yeah, that certainly seems like a better deal; those things are stupidly expensive, but they're sacred so their upkeep cost is... Probably still horrendous but not as bad.

Libluini posted:

Sadly, the Coya being better is also irrelevant since the game apparently sometimes strips her of her units and sends her off to die in another province

Which is why I have always the Inca waiting somewhere, just in case.

I saw the earlier post about this; is this a regular thing or was it a one-time anomaly? That seems really strange.

jBrereton posted:

A Coya is a better mage for most purposes than a Royal Mallqui, which have garbage slots for path boosting.

The "Guardian Spirit" is a Fravashi, which are like a weird elemental thing that sometimes randomly helps out, mainly by casting things at stuff.

If your cool Ragha or Caelan commander is in the Arena and it pops, you are going to have a good time.

If you're in a big battle it'll mostly be irrelevant.

Alright, thanks for the tip there.

Anyone have any Ragha tips? I like the idea of an LA Caelum that can actually do Caelum things, and the Abysia stuff they get seems cool too, (also, the Zoroastrianism-based group finally gets fire temples) but they seem strange, and the temperature scales thing comes off as either giving up a lot of almost-free points, or going heavily into one temperature and making a choice between your somewhat-better mages and your cool-but-expensive sacreds. Also their elephants cost a million resources, as do much of their other things, so you can't go Sloth like I'd do normally; they seem to want nice scales, though if you go with their sacreds a bless is probably nice too.

Also, is the Ahura of Wisdom good for anything or is he just an "I want huge Astral" chassis? It seems like the game still has a major "lot of cool, flavorful pretender options, few you'll actually want" thing, though I could be mistaken on this front; they've apparently rebalanced this massively so I'm still figuring it out.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Great Gray Shrike posted:

Nuclearmonkee put up a video about expanding with Ragha (or any elephant nation) called The Elephant Whisperer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s47o6GJ9WU

I can testify that it does indeed work out pretty good - productivity 3 ragha can expand really really well, very easily with elephants. And your units are good enough that productivity scales justify themselves.

In terms of what you want to do with Ragha - your most important choice is basically H3, H1, C1, C3. If you take a single point of temperature drift from neutral, you can build 1 type of temp-requirement unit year-round and the other once a year (during midsummer or midwinter), and almost never get stuck having to build a crap non-temp-dependent unit when you don't want to. If you take more than the single temperature scale, you can't get the opposite temperature stuff *ever* without having forts outside your dominion or using spells to adjust temperature manually or whatever, but you get more points to spend. If you go neutral there are big parts of the year where you can't recruit really good units and then you are sad.

Cold gets you hordes of A3 fliers who can cast thunderstrike out of the box and with a little effort can gear to turn-1 fog warriors or storm or whatever. They all fly, they all cloud trapeze, and overall have great strategic mobility. Cold's sacreds are sort of crap, at least for the cost, and I never found use for them.

Heat gets you hordes of F3 evokers who are capable of all the traditional fire battlemagic (and you field very fire-resistant guys to synergize with them). You also get turn 1 flaming arrows to go with your flying composite bowmen archers (!) and a neat Blood suite that you can probably parlay into armies of devils or something, and some death as well. Heat's sacreds are really expensive but very very strong fliers, but still cost way more than e.g. the number of elephants that expand as well, so are more of a midgame thing.

You can field a bunch of both with either heat or cold 1, but if you go beyond that you drop versatility a lot and you stop being able to do everything.

Finally, ragha's troops are all either really strong fire-resistant badasses or really crappy chaff that is supremely mobile (flying 3). It's really a quite effective army. Their guys on horses are pretty cool but overpriced for what you get.

Ragha needs a lot of gold and should take really good scales. You don't need a god to do anything so their god is tempted to be asleep or imprisoned for more scales. As far as blesses go, you don't really need to take a bless at all for expansion, and your sacreds are nothing to write home about early on - I honestly wouldn't worry about a bless. Good things to have on a god:

- High Astral (forging, and with S7-9 tanking up Magic Duels that otherwise eat your A3 guys)
- A4+ (you don't get A4 on anyone and need it to forge boosters; you can empower a guy but that's like 60 gems).
- Earth (you don't get earth magic natively, and a few hammers and communion matrices can go a long way, even if you do have to sitesearch with your god to start the earth income).

Alright. So, probably go with either the Ahura of Wisdom (who is thematically-appropriate and can get high Astral easily) or the Annunaki of the Morning Star (who is just awesome and I wish I could easily get her paths on other things; she's cheaper than the Ahura and has better diversity, outside of having Awe I don't see what makes him cost more). Or an Arch Seraph, who apparently hits the same paths plus some one point dips in other places for the same total cost; wow, "titan" pretenders just don't seem worth it outside of, like, super-high paths maybe. I tended to play scales+paths gods and never really got into bless nations anyway, so that works for me. And yeah, Flaming Arrows combined with Caelian archers seems nasty. Thanks for the tips and the video link, this is very helpful.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 30, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
When playing Ragha, is it better to start with your STR mages, or recruit "fast" mages the first few turns to get research going faster and wait until you get a fort up for the STR ones? Obviously you want to grab the good STR ones (Turan Sorcerers/Airya Seraphs) that you can't normally recruit when you get the chance, but that won't happen until summer/winter depending on your scales.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

wiegieman posted:

In my eyes, few STR mages are worth trading two slightly lesser mages. They have to be really impressive (like a recruit anywhere Elder Druid) to be worth that extra mage turn, or they have to give you that one path level you can't get otherwise.

I will grant that they're often more gold efficient. That can matter, but the fact that STR tends to mean cap only I don't like basing a strategy on them.

As far as Ragah, I still haven't decided whether neutral or perma cold is better for them.

Well, Ragha's STR mages have F/A3 compared to 1 (maybe 2 with the right random) for their non-STR ones, so they're definitely worth it on that front. I was mainly concerned for the first half of the first year or so, before I get a second fort up; in the long run I'm definitely sticking mostly to the STR mages. Though a few cheaper ones, since they're also priests and can thus build both labs and temples, wouldn't be amiss either. Not nearly as useful for combat though.

As for temp scales, either H1 or C1 seems good to me. You can only recruit your F1?1H1 priests in neutral scales, so neutral temperature sucks because most of the year you're stuck with them, while 1 point either way lets you get good mages most of the year, and in summer/winter you can still get the type you're normally barred from. I prefer C1 since A. I like Caelum a lot and basically play Ragha as the real LA Caelum but with troops that are worth something, and B. Air magic seems more versatile and less easy to shut down, combined with their flying being great, whereas the F3 casters are best for Flaming Arrows if your opponent can hit you with Rain or something. Also, Thunder Strike is awesome.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 7, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I have Drain 1. Like I said, I'm mainly just wondering if slightly slower early research for the first six months or so is alright if I hire the good mages from the start or not. Seems like most people think it is, which works for me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jBrereton posted:

A couple of packs of Elephants led by Paigan Salars is infinitely better than either of these for guaranteeing you a solid early-midgame, hth.

e: all of the Cold stuff with Ragha is a trap because of the chance of low Astral (you will get mind duelled by any number of easily-recruitable S1 mages and lose 200+ gold a pop) and the cold sacred being garbage compared to the Heat one.

An Airya Seraph can cast Storm and that's really cool and all, but if you wanted to play at Thunderstrikes why not go for Van or Bogarus instead?

Obviously I'm going to be recruiting elephants for expansion, those things are not mutually exclusive recruitment options. I'm not sure why you even felt the need to mention them really.

As for sacreds, probably not going to make heavy use of either because the Heat one is expensive and not really better than elephants early on, the Cold one is bad, and neither seems worth building the nation around bless-wise so what's the point?

Also, I don't want to play Van or Bogarus, hence not picking them. If I had wanted to be Bogarus (who are one of the LA nations I actually like, admittedly), I would have picked them instead of Ragha.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're a better version of the Caelum national summon, that you can recruit. More HP, more MR and morale, really everything's better except for slightly worse protection and their movement being the same. Also Fall Power because why not. And you can recruit them en masse rather than summon them three at a time with an F1D2 mage and fifteen death gems. That's... Jeez. I wonder if you can get recruitable yazatas in nationgen too. Pretty sure you can, given some patch notes I saw, so... Might be an even better score there, depending, though massed Fear sacreds are nasty.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 10, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, Returning's description mentions "[getting] lost in time and [returning] later, not all all or completely insane." How likely is that? Is it just a miniscule chance or is Returning not worth using due to the chance of losing the unit anyway or them going mad?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright. Good to know. Those are acceptable odds for emergency/last-ditch-effort things I've been thinking about, but definitely not something to rely on. Thanks for answering. And yeah, I remember it being good for that; it's why I used S2 priests for Void Gate stuff when possible as MA R'lyeh, among other things, when I played then.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decrepus posted:

Who all has bought Trillwinter's latest and most ambitious title CONQUEST OF ELYSIUM 4? I think we should get a multiplayer game up and going and LP it and all become legends in our own right in the Something Awful goons community.

We will have to all get together and slam out the first bunch of turns where you don't do anything. But just take screenshots and poo poo and each post our perspective like good LPs do.

I, obviously, would like to be the Senator.

I'm interested in this, though I don't quite yet have CoE4. Might be able to get it though; parents owe me some money. If I manage that, I would be more than happy to join the LP. If I do, I'm most interested in the Burgmeister I guess.

Edit: Switched to the Enchanter. They seem interesting.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 18, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm fine with Empire, because neutral things killing people, while funny if it happens once or twice, kind of sucks. Also admittedly I am playing a very gold-hungry class and this age is pretty good for that. Less so for iron, but, well. That's what trade is for.

Really I'm just worried about the Priest King. What I've seen of the other sacrifice people don't look too bad, but the Priest King is... Something else, from what I can tell. Something that needs to be murdered.

By the way, what map size are we going with for this? The largest?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decrepus posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how long we played. An hour, maybe an hour and half, and I feel like we got pretty far along all things considered. Or at least what is a good stopping point.

A very good stopping point for me, considering what happened.

Turns out a single wood golem and the remnants of my starting army can not stand up to two mages and a bunch of troops. Though the wood golem lasted an impressive amount of time, all things considered.

Edit: As for time, I can play whenever I suppose. I'm not particularly busy.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 19, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wouldn't mind teams. If nothing else it'd give me a better opportunity of surviving long enough to do anything instead of getting rushed immediately by monkee or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nanomashoes posted:

So now that I've Broken the Seal, what do I do with it?

Use your army of ghosts to kick rear end, pray that the gods you released gently caress over people who aren't you. Laugh maniacally, no matter what happens.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nanomashoes posted:

The Zeus-lookin' one spawned a square away from my cap... :ohdear:

That' perfect, now no one can attack you from that direction. You didn't need that province anyway. Everything's coming up Agartha.

Also, you might be surprised as to what happens if you kill one of those things. Just a little.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MF_James posted:

if I have a non-stealthy guy, and give him stealthy gear, does he become sneaky? Say I give him something that's +25 stealth or whatever the actual stat is called, does he then start getting all sneaky beaky?

I've been told that there are two items that grant stealth, Shademail Haubergeon and the Amulet of the Doppelganger, and the latter is an artifact so in practice just one item for it, and all the others increase existing stealth scores, but don't grant it to people who don't have it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This happened a couple turns ago in EASucks, and it was both hilarious and terrible.

Preface: I (EA Caelum) started attacking Nuclearmonkee (T'ien Ch'i), as one should do if they want to win a game he's in. He hit back, I started losing, I finally finished researching Rain of Stones and started destroying his armies. (I should have waited until I had RoS to pick that fight, but Decrepus was dying to monkee and I tried to be a nice guy and save him.) After I started turning the tides monkee cast BoT, which sucks, and then Foul Air, which meant that any of my RoSing Eagle Kings would get diseased. My best form of offense now being (eventually) fatal to my good mages and half my territory having been lost before I could start hitting back, I had basically lost this game, but fortunately my and others' efforts had doomed monkee as well.

Then I learned that jsoh (Niefelheim) had donated Death gems to monkee to help him get those globals up; I, in full "drag everyone who wronged me down to hell with me" mode, decided I needed to hurt him next. After taking one of monkee's provinces I discovered it had an unforted lab, within Cloud Trapeze distance of jsoh's capital. I moved four more Eagle Kings to that province, loaded them up with gems, and sent them flying on over; four were scripted to RoS, and the fifth to cast Air spells; the last one was also loaded up with spare Earth gems so he could reload the RoS mages after the battle.

So, that went pretty well; one EK got scared of his own falling rocks and fled, dying, but now I've locked down jsoh's cap and-

Oh, what's this now?

What.

What.

What.

(Those red numbers, by the way, are an Eagle King and his Fravashi being simultaneously annihilated by that dark knight, who can apparently fly in storms despite gryphons not having storm-flying.)

...Well, at least Bogus is sitting on his cap now.

But yeah, this is when I decided that fate has decreed jsoh win EASucks, which has lived up to its name but not for the reasons you might expect.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SweetBro posted:

How do you even know the difference between someone being mage or a priest?

Mages have magic paths besides Holy, priests have Holy magic, mage-priests have Holy and at least one non-Holy magic, for the simplest explanation. Sacred units (which include priests) need a temple to be built, mages (again, anything with a magic path besides Holy) need a lab, and mage-priests need both. Besides needing temples, sacred units cost half the upkeep and can be blessed in combat, the effects of which depend on your god's paths and can also be effected by the thrones you claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pomp posted:

Wait what

If your pretender is in a battle all of your sacreds are auto-blessed, no need for a spell cast. It's useful.

• Locked thread