Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It seems like a lot of the changes they've made to the game are mean to de-emphasize supercombatants and promote conventional armies and battlemagic in the end game. I think that's cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
loving poo poo are Dragons tough now. Well I don't recall how bad they were in Dom3 because I never used them but their new breath attack is goddamn killer. I was playing a game as EA Kailasa with N9 E6 bless and expanding merrily with my sacreds. Ran into Ur on like turn 5 so I rushed them and wrapped them up all the way to their capitol. Sent in a canary commander to storm the fort to see what they had inside when suddenly their little arch-mage transforms into a loving red dragon and eats him. I knew my troops couldn't handle it so I just sat on the fort until Ur broke the siege. Scattered my army to the wind, the blessed sacreds didn't stand a chance. So I figure "Alright, gently caress you I'll just Paralyze spam you to death you stupid wyrm" and I come back with every single one of my Gurus and other mages casting Dessication and Earth Grip, the whole nine yards. Well this god damned dragon had 22 MR in his dominion and I must have hit him with 23-25 Paralyzes in the battle before one stuck. Hit him right as the shattered remains of my all-in army limped off the field.

Fuuuuck that! :ocelot:

How are u fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 10, 2013

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Anybody fool around with some of the new globals yet? I cast Vengeful Water and I guess it sends water elementals to assassinate commanders in your dominion. Neat!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

WYA posted:

Gonna stream a blitz against Yuri. I'm bad so come watch me fail

http://www.twitch.tv/dickboss

You may want to get a mic because it is essentially impossible to hear what you're saying.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I imagine that slow to recruit troops will be modded out pretty quickly. Actually there's nothing to stop people from modding in troops that are nasty enough to be worth the slow to recruit tag.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

jBrereton posted:

Starting forts feeling obnoxiously hard to crack for anyone else?

No idea how Mictlan, for example, is going to deal with it.

Try any of the ape nations, where 95% of their units are Animals that get a big penalty to sieges.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Sorry for spreading false information about animals and sieges, I thought it was true :(

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Whoa whoa, what's the hotkey for monthly forging?? I must know.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think, with addition of Thrones, we might actually get a Dom4 LP that isn't Doomed to Fail.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Is the only way to patch the game to redownload the new client from Desura?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm dicking around in single player, in year 10 of a long game. Last turn I got a worldwide event raising unrest when astrologers predicted a comet was heading for Earth. This turn there's another worldwide event saying the comet is visible in the sky, and unrest has skyrocketed all over my empire. Wonder what's going to happen next turn...

e: the comet hit a random province, not one of mine, but the description said it annihilated the whole population. This game :allears:

How are u fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 22, 2013

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can't wait to see what kind of awesome ideas people come up with for unique summons and things like that. It's going to be...awesome :haw:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If there's one thing you can count on the AI to do it is to never leverage any type of research in any meaningful way. The most you'll see an AI army do is send a couple of mages with an army that cast random, useless spells, or outfit random commanders with equally random items like lightless lanterns and bane blades.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Would cubes be at all useful for stopping up fortress chokepoints? They really seem to have no purpose.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The fact that you get pop specific PD can be so nice as an ape nation. It's wonderful.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lilli posted:

I stopped talking to my neighbors because that requires more :effort: than I am willing to put into this game.

You'll never become Pantokrator with an attitude like that!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well back in Dom3 when gem-gens were still a thing that existed and research was quicker you'd be able to clam hard and leverage those truly fantastic sacred summons like Gandharvas and eventually Rudra. Now though with gem gens eliminated and research hugely lengthened I reckon that those spells need to be placed earlier in the Conjuration path and have their prices slashed pretty deeply (seriously, 55 pearls for a Rudra these days??).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So what we see is that we need a whole bunch more summons like Awesome Endgame gave us.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So has anybody found any neat quality of life mods yet? I know the game's only been out for a bit but Dominions modders are an industrious bunch.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh hey here's something I've wanted to ask! So nation-specific items are now A Thing, but I haven't noticed any in the single player games I've played so far. Does anybody have examples of cool new unique items?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Barono posted:

Using gems for general battlefield use is something the AI does that regular players should at least consider doing more often. Sure it can be expensive, but being able to blast out twice as many spells because you're at half fatigue can well be worth a couple of gems.

It's something that the good players do -all- the time, it's just really annoying to micro-manage. The new AI option to manage gem spending in combat would have been nice if it had half a brain at all.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Agartha has such cool backstory what with all of that guarding the Seal in the deepest, darkest cave at the bottom of the world. With the Seal breaking who knows what kind of cool poo poo you could add to the nation. Hopefully its Lovecraftian as poo poo because I always got that vibe from them.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey maybe Kris will bump Caves up to something like 15% per map. That would fix everything! Right? ...right?

e: seriously I wouldn't fret about Agartha until the patch hits. I bet there will be some cool new things to give them *some* kind of edge.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Can somebody give a rundown of the Agartha changes for people who haven't had the chance to patch yet?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fleur Bleu posted:

They're true ethereal, so magic weapons and non-astral spells have a 75% chance of doing nothing. They also have damage reversal +1 instead of blood vengeance, so if you don't pass the mr roll they're not hurt. You're going to need a lot off astral mages to kill one! Also that's their second shape. They have a tartarian first shape. Also there are three of them.

Jesus, well now I need to start an Agartha game just to fool around with these guys, they sound wonderful.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just started a game as Bandar Log and I'm using an imprisoned W9E4 Monolith that allows me to have a couple reasonable scales with Heat cranked to 3 and a few points of sloth. Tiger Riders are pretty fantastic for expansion with this bless, 8-10 of them with a Brahmin for bless duty can take most indy provinces easily.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
To be honest, I've found that after putting a good number of (single player) games under my belt in Dom4, there's really no reason not to start a game with less than 75% magic site frequency. It just makes the game so much more fun.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I imagine you could make an Ermor balancing mod that removed the popkill and I dunno maybe jacked up the prices of Ermor temples and forts in order to make up for all the extra cash they'd receive. Ermor doesn't recruit its commanders anyway, right?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So how do you actually add the game to your Steam profile if you've already bought it on Desura? I really have no idea how it works :(

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

LordLeckie posted:

http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html

In case anyone didnt know the Dom4 Mod Inspector is up.

Ah, wonderful!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Beat them so badly they cough up :10bux:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So how do I install mods in Dom4? I don't remember it being tricky in Dom3, but I created a 'mods' folder in the main game directory and have my mod nation data in there but when I open the game and click on Mods on the main menu nothing shows up.

e: Thank you kindly!

How are u fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 10, 2014

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm sure Awesome Endgame will herald the return of SCs as a viable endgame strategy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What are some of the stand-out awful events in Misfortune 3? I can't even bring myself to take Misfortune at all, so I have no idea but because this is Dominions I expect them to be awesome.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well the mod inspector says its Invulnerable (25), Immortal, slash and pierce resistant, and has something called "Chance to reform when killed: 75%"

Not sure what that means exactly but he seems like a pretty tough cookie.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Thugs are units designed with two purposes in mind: 1) to be able to solo raid province defense and small raiding armies and 2) to do the above as cheaply as possible.

SCs can be designed to fulfill a variety of roles but generally the idea is to design them for endurance and staying power. Multiple types of defensive abilities, spells, and resistances that allow them to solo or duo large armies.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What kind of changes does it make? More gems, more 'enter to summon' sites, more neat unique recruitables?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh great, sounds fun I'll give it a spin. One thing I particularly liked about AwesomeSites was being able to recruit cap-only nationals from captured enemy capitols. It kind of makes victory all the sweeter when, after a long bloody war, you get the prize of being able to recruit Vanjarls or Dryads or what have you.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yet another reason why Dominions is the best game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The PD strategy seems almost as effective as the Niefelheim turtling strategy from Dom3.

• Locked thread