Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InterceptorV8 posted:

gently caress, I passed the googlemaps car on a double yellow because the rear end in a top hat was doing 45-50 in a loving 70.

I have passed these guys a couple times on I-10 and on some back roads around here because they were going so slow. I wonder if they are told to drive slow as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InterceptorV8 posted:

I wonder if the wind drag on the cameras cause the roof to buckle at higher speeds.

But it isn't the same speed each time. It is just slower than the speed limit. Through town they did 20 in a 30 and on I-10 they were probably going about 65 or 70.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Yeah I am still keeping my DRL because not only does my truck not give me a choice, but studies have also shown they reduce accident numbers for large vehicles as well. I will do my part to reduce motorcycle accidents by continuing to give them lots of room and being aware of their existence unlike many other drives.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

As completely brainless and idiotic as the average driver is, a truck (and especially a semi) is friggin' huge and very obviously not a car.

I have had people try to merge in to me or turn across my path when I was driving a F250 with a 30 foot trailer attached and when driving my old bosses straight truck. People just don't think before they do stuff because they have done it without problem hundreds of times before until one time there actually is something there.

Basically the same as in this picture including the forklift hanging off the back.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Well this just happened directly in front of my apartment. The driver of the white truck with trailer was taken off in cuffs and was likely drunk. The black truck was parked about 30 feet back from where it is now and just out of frame to the left is a green car that he hit also. Most of the front drivers side suspension was ripped off when getting up on the ledge it is on. The speed limit there is 30mph but people drive anywhere from 25-40.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Das Volk posted:

:catstare: drunk while hauling

Sadly it is pretty loving common out here with guys driving halfway across the state and having a "few" road beers.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

SouthsideSaint posted:

That is a good way to get his rear end shot if he's not careful. Some people are so dumb and sheltered. In Chicago if I tried that stunt the person would either get out and crack me with a tire iron or shoot me and be done with it. I guess the stupid just have a certain kind of luck.

A female friend had this happen to her and then the guy started following her so she called me and drove to my friends house where several of us were waiting for her. The guy followed her over 10 miles out of town and then all the way down their 1/4 mile dirt driveway only to turn around when he got to the house. I guess he didn't want to talk to a bunch of dirty rednecks as much as he wanted to yell at a defenseless girl. I will never understand people who road rage that hard.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

I managed a fleet maintenance company for a while a few years ago, and it's amazing how many people totally disregard big puddles of oil under cars...

That reminded me of when a friend changed his trucks oil a little while back. He put drained the oil, put on a new filter and proceeded to dump almost all the new oil on his driveway via the drain hole that he forgot to put the bolt back in. I couldn't stop laughing when he called me for a ride to the store so he could buy more oil.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Free oil pan flush!

Well the oil wasn't free. I did feel bad because he was having a bad week and had a cold too. Probably why he made such a rookie mistake.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Friar Zucchini posted:

Wait what :stare:

...you were rallying that? I'm guessing that drives about the same as my '94 Suburban, and if I get near a curve at any speed other than "kinda slow" I'm pulling bits of seat cushion out my rear end later on.

Wrong kind of rallying. He was doing the slow speed regular roads one not the high speed gravel roads one.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Kilersquirrel posted:

I already know I'm going to have to deal with the same type of poo poo when my mom gets old and it is going to be war of the loving worlds when my sister and I have to tell her "hell no you can't drive anymore" and take those keys away. My dad not so much thankfully.

This is going to be me with my dad. Except I am going to probably have to take away his motorcycle sooner than his truck. I am hoping he will just get so many speeding tickets that they take his license away when he gets to old. Thankfully he doesn't get in accidents.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

kastein posted:

One of my friends with an XJ parked "too close" to some idiot who couldn't figure out how to park straight and happened to be in the jeep when they came out. Driver got all mouthy and when he replied in kind, they intentionally doored him, HARD.

Except it was a regular sedan vs a lifted XJ with 1/4" thick box tube welded in in place of the rocker panels, so they scuffed his (already mildly rock rashed) rocker armor a tiny bit and dented the poo poo out of their door lip :v:

Same thing happened to the sliders on my lifted cherokee. Bonus was I was napping in the backseat between classes so not only did they gently caress up their door, but I also scared the poo poo out of them when I sat up and asked what the gently caress they were doing to my car.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

kastein posted:

Wait, did you tell this story on a certain club/association forum with a grey and red theme a year or two ago?

I dont think so. I haven't been on many xj forums since I sold it a couple years back.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

I've finally started passing as I would on a two lane road: plan ahead, hammer down until you get past the vehicle and coast back into cruise. When you come up on one of these douchebags at 15+ they don't have time to be dicks.

I wish I could do this when I am on I-10 going 80. I will start to pass someone who is going around 75 and they will of course start to speed up and I will end up going 85 or more before they let me pass or else I will have to be the rear end in a top hat who is in the passing lane without passing. I also hate the people who don't use cruise control and will go up the hills at 65 and then fly down them at 80+. One guy kept flying past me on the downhills only for me to promptly pass him again as he crawls up the next hill. If your car is slow that is fine just stay in the right lane, leave me alone, and stop loving up the flow of traffic for the rest of us.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

That's why I said "Plan Ahead". Start 250ft back when you drop the hammer. Even my Miata gets to 85-90 without dropping a gear by the time I'm next to anyone.

Yeah I would rather not get a speeding ticket. The cops along most of the stretch I drive will ticket for anything over 80 and I am broke enough as it is.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I actually saw a justified use of double parking the other day. Pulled up to Walgreens and saw a double parked SUV. Noticed it had a handicapped placard, then saw that all four handicapped spaces were also occupied (legally, at that).

I think I live near too many old people.

A friend of the family has a son with severe cerebral palsy who is in a big electric wheelchair. We went to see a play with them and there were no handicap spots so she parked to the side one spot over from the end so she could use the second spot to get him out of the van with the lift(see picture) and then left the elevator out so that people would see it and not park next to them. Well while we were in the play someone decided they couldn't stand parking 20 feet farther from the door so they drove over the lift and parked in that spot anyways despite it being a large parking lot that was no where near capacity. So when we get out not only can we not get him back in the van, but the lift is slightly damaged and we can't even get it back up so we can move the van and could load him somewhere else. So my dad did the sensible thing and went inside and proceeded to ask everyone if they knew who had parked there until he found the guy and then yelled and screamed at the guy until I though the guy was going to cry. He then shamefully walked out to his car and backed out and gave his insurance info to our friend. It ended up costing him $500 out of pocket to fix the lift because their insurance wouldn't pay for it. All that because he didn't want to park another few spots over.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

dougdrums posted:

Really my only option is to build a bigger fence and barricades, but I'm not sure if the barricades would leave me liable for damages (I could always say it was for protecting the children, right?).

Or move, I might move.

Make posts out of landscaping timbers and sink them in concrete so they stick up 3 feet or so. Then connect them with rope to make it look nice. A neighbor did this to stop assholes from parking on his lawn and it worked well.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Geoj posted:

Yeah, you're right. I just don't like brotrucks.

It couldn't have anything to do with a lifted truck being a completely inappropriate and unlikely vehicle for a person who needs a handicap placard due to some physical ailment that prevents them from walking short distances :rolleyes:

So people with disabilities shouldn't have things they like because they are impractical? Should everyone only drive completely practical vehicles? Seems like an odd argument to make in AI. I knew a guy with a lifted truck who was in a wheel chair and had to drive with hand controls. He had straps to help him get in and out and would fold up his chair and put it behind the front seat. He let me drive it through a field once and it was pretty awesome to use the hand controls, but was really weird feeling also.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i live in dread of seeing myself in this thread. i'm trying to improve, really i am...

any hints (beyond "kill yourself, lol") for quelling the urge to follow closely (< 2 car lengths)?

Take a deep breathe and realize that following close will not do anything to shorten your trip time and only increases the odds of you getting in a wreck.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

xzzy posted:

As concerned with safety as Nintendo is, you'd think that while they're using the gps they'd interpolate how fast the user is moving and disable the app if it looks like they're in a car.

Except that would mean kids adults riding in cars couldn't play.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

PT6A posted:

Oh, yeah, I misread the initial post, I thought you were talking about using high beams in the middle of the night versus near dawn, because there's no reason why anyone would ever use their high beams in the middle of day intentionally unless they're terminally stupid.

Motorcyclist keep them on so they are more visible during the day.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

PT6A posted:

Why high beams, though? They're still bright enough that they can impair vision if they hit your eye just right; low beams or DRLs should make you plenty visible. If people can't see that, they should have their driving license pulled and their car crushed into a cube before they kill someone.

EDIT: Is this another "loud pipes save lives" unsupportable bullshit habit that motorcyclists love because they're Just That Special? It sounds like it is, frankly.

Well a lot of bikes have pretty weak lights so it isn't to bad. As for high beams vs regular I don't know that it matters. But having lights on during the day will actually increase visibility and lower your chance of a crash.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

nm posted:

I hope you're not doing that for people with placards who look non-handicapped (I note the person you mention did not have a placard). There are a fair number of truly handicapped people who do not appear handicapped but may have certain conditions (back pain, joint pain, etc) that prevent them from walking longer distances without pain.

I got bitched at once when I parked in a handicapped spot to pick up my father. The old lady had to park a whole 2 spots farther along and decided that I was just some rear end in a top hat taking the spot to make her life harder. I actually thought it was a little funny, but I would have felt terrible if I was disabled and had someone scolding me like that and telling me I didn't deserve to park there.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

wolrah posted:

I've always loved the fact that Ohio doesn't allow unmarked cars to do traffic enforcement.

Some cities like to try to push the limits of what they can call "marked" of course, but they can't be fully stealth.

A city I travel through a lot has a white Ford F150 with slightly off white lettering. It is Texas so 1/4 of the trucks on the road are white ford trucks.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Probably intended for off‐road use. Still a death trap.

Amateurs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/driving-the-340000-critter-gitter-feature

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It depends on the car. Buddy of mine had a 91 Town Car that was fun. I've heard early Cadillacs would just hammer it and smoke the tires.

A friend in high school had a suburban with a 454 and the loudest exhaust a high school kid could get his hands on and if you hit a hill with cruise control on it would go wide open. Sounded like hell itself was breaking loose underneath you.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Javid posted:

The jackass with horses on any road busy enough to need traffic lights is, in fact, the person we're stuck sharing the road with

He meant in a trailer. Slamming on the brakes is a good way to hurt a horse. I have run some yellows I shouldn't have and stopped way earlier than necessary on lights I wasn't sure about for the sake of the horses.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

I've also seen a camel squeezed into a horse trailer.

I wish I made good money off hauling horses. But I just got my normal salary plus fast food for the trip. At the guest ranch I used to work at a guy would bring camels for some of our groups. They would walk in and lay down and still have to duck their heads. I once saw him pulling a single camel in an open top horse trailer with its head out in the wind. They are some weird animals.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yup, my winter trial with my brother and dad involved taking his Ranger out to an abandoned parking lot and practicing "handling" in the snow

Just don't drag a priest down the parking lot with you and drive off.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/24/Pickerington-priest-dragged-by-teens-court.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Why did they have people filming, but no one spotting the landing zone?