Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
It's the "emergency brake" they are only for emergencies DUH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've done it, I've found the worst drivers in North America in New Orleans.

All the obliviousness of the stereotypical 'asian driver' with the aggressiveness of a road raging moron, all tossed into a terrible hosed up road system with no lane lines.

Twice in one week I had someone STOP on a freeway onramp becase they didnt accelerate and were too afraid to merge. Both times I was looking over my shoulder to find my gap, luckily I had a passenger that was able to yell for me to stop.

Also no one here signals, stopping in a traffic lane to turn left? Who needs to signal, slamming on your brakes to turn into a parking lot? gently caress signaling right? I got yelled at moving into the right turn 'gap' to make a right when the 3 cars in front of me ended up turning into me from the left side of through lane without signaling, all 3 of them failed to signal.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BoostCreep posted:

I see all of those things in Los Angeles on a daily basis. I think just every big city has lovely drivers with lax regulation.

I grew up in Los Angeles, it doesnt hold a candle to the terribleness here.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

some texas redneck posted:

3. THREE. loving times in the past 3 days, I've been going down a residential road, only to find cars parked on both sides.. with one of the parked cars with the door wide open and the owner staring at their cell phone, talking to people, digging in their rear end for brown gold, etc.

One of them looked right at me as I pulled up. Kept digging in his car. Beeped. Got a nasty look, he leaned back into the car. Beeped again, nothing. HOOOOOOOOOOOONK. Got a nasty look and a loud WHAT THE gently caress out of him. Response from me of "YOU'RE BLOCKING THE loving ROAD". "oh......" *looks around, gets in car and closes door*

The other two got the hint after the first beep. Both still fired dirty looks at me.

I almost got in a fight with a guy in a busy highway food stop parking lot on a roadtrip, he pulled into one of the two empty spots next to eachother in the otherwise completely full lot.

He got out, I waited slightly turned into the spot for his girlfriend to get out of the car, but she just flung the door all the way open and started messing around on her phone, after 20 seconds I beeped the horn at her since I assumed she just didnt realize. That put the guy into a seething rage and he got in my face yelling that 'no one loving honks at his girlfriend'.

Best part was after she dragged him away he accidentally held the door to Subway open for me, the look on his face was classic when he realized.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

lavaca posted:

I live in Seattle, city of four-way stops. This commercial adequately characterizes the local driving experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdohA-4tQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8mRd-Yh-Fc

Vancouver is full of people like this.

I give people a few seconds to realize its their turn before I say gently caress it and go out of turn, and then people get mad at me.

gently caress you I'm not waiting around like an idiot for you to figure yourself out.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I have a spare pare of glasses in my glove box in all 3 of my vehicles, plus there's 2 more in the center console of my Jeep at the moment and I always keep a spare pair in my backpack.

gently caress being without sunglasses, I don't know how anyone does it, maybe it's #aryanproblems?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

KozmoNaut posted:

"Driving a big Audi SUV means I'll never be stuck, even on summer tires :downs:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

E: I am blind.

Do Grand Cherokees not have reverse?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

FogHelmut posted:

Jeep man probably had it in "full time 4wd" or whatever those Jeeps have. I'm not sure, do they still have a low range? He could have at least turned off traction control. Traction controls get all retarded when all four wheels are spinning, and are mainly to keep you from falling off the road.

Last week, we were on the beach with my uncle's F150. The 2nd time we were digging it out of the sand, he goes and guns it again. At this point I noticed that some wheels were spinning and some weren't, and I realized "traction control!" When I told him to turn it off, he suddenly remembered he had lockers. No problems after that.

I got my open dif Ford Ranger on the lovely BFG Long Trails stuck in snow just like that when I took my high school girlfriend to the mountains to play in the snow years back. After taking 5 seconds to realize that I couldnt drive forwards up the hill, I waited for a break in traffic and backed right up onto the bare road and left, no stress no drama.

On a barely related note, I was working in Iceland last year on a movie and one of our locations was way out in the middle of nowhere, they had built a dirt road heading out there but may parts of the road were super soft, basically all of the production vehicles were big 4x4 trucks and the VIPs got driven around in big Toyota SUVs. I was given a Ford Transit on bald street tires, so loving stressful driving that thing back and forth every day. I got stuck twice, nearly stuck tons more. There were sections of the road where it was easy to travel over 60kph, which is apparently the speed that Ford determined that Traction Control would automatically be reactivated, which I would learn when I got to a soft section of road at tried to power through it and the TC just shut down the whole party and left me buried.

The only other time I got stuck while working was because of traction control as well, locked everything up on some ice and I slid powerless and helpless into the ditch (on another production supplied vehicle on all season tires, at least that one had AWD)

I'm the people you share off road with?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Uthor posted:

No, these totally get people turning on red without a full stop all the time. They are optical sensors, from what I can tell. It takes a photo (complete with blinding flash so it can see your plate at night from a significant distance away) if it sees you cross the line without stopping, then another shortly after. Crossing/stopping on the line isn't an issue, just not coming to a complete stop before turning, so it uses the two images to check and see if you actually stopped or just rolled through.

I got one in California from rolling thru a right turn at a red light, video and all, but it came from a private company in Phoenix so they can suck my dick.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

GramCracker posted:

A million times, this.

Like every other person on the road in Richmond, BC. THAT LITTLE BLUE LIGHT DOESNT MEAN YOUR LIGHTS ARE ON.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
gently caress people that stay in the right lane on a red light when the left lane is empty, therefor blocking everyone who wants to turn right on the red.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Hey pedestrians, dont yell at me when you step out into the crosswalk without looking and I'm making a left turn already, maybe you shouldnt jam your childs stroller out into the road without making sure theres not a vehicle travelling into it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

jamal posted:

The thing about coasting/rolling up slowly to a light or leaving a big gap and not rolling forward to a reasonable distance is that it does more than just annoy the people who want to hurry up and wait. Usually it will block people from getting into a turn lane or make them miss the arrow or get someone stuck in an intersection. All those things slow traffic down for everyone even if you aren't doing anything wrong or it's technically someone else's fault.

This. Plus especially if it's a light on a sensor instead of a timer. The sooner you get to the light the sooner it turns green again.

Also gently caress people that doddle through a left turn making sure they are the only ones who get through that 3 car sized gap

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sbyers77 posted:

I actually don't mind these things when parents put them out when their kids are actually playing, but gently caress the people who keep them up 24/7.

In my friends neighborhood in high school there was a house that used to put one of those in the middle of the street basically, with cars parked on either side of the street right before a turn, I knocked that thing over so many times with my car/truck.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sagebrush posted:

If it was a BMW he could at least have the bimmer/beemer excuse but that is just weak.

Audi owns Ducati so there is that...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Guess the city in BC!

Its loving criminal that these people somehow get drivers licenses.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Nitrox posted:

Seriously. Flashing lights at a car instead of performing a simple passing maneuver is rather selfish and obnoxious. No surprise that other selfish and obnoxious driver took it as a grave insult/challenge/invitation.

Other problem is these loving idiots sitting in the passing lane when theres no traffic are the same loving morons sitting in the empty passing lane doing 5 under when there is traffic and theres no way to get around them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ludicro posted:

There are two cyclists in this image, can you find them both?

4:40pm on Broadway, man in all black on a bike with no lights or reflectors swerving in and out of traffic near sunset. The picture makes it look a lot easier to see then it did in person.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Few years ago leaving Revelstoke following a friend, we came up the hill and traffic was stopped because of a flipped car up top. Complete ice, he dove off across the oncoming lane (no cars coming luckily) into a pull out, and I just barely stopped a few feet short of the car in front of us, had he not dove out I would have hit him for sure, even going up hill.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah, I saw more lightning my first day in Denver (happened to arrive during a really bad June thunderstorm) than in my entire 26 years growing up in Portland. Lightning is not common up there.

Living on the West coast, I miss big crazy storms. Love watching big crazy thunderstorms when I'm working back east. Last summer I was in the Chicago area when there was tornado warnings and everything, of course the hotel was right next to a RV/Trailer sales lot so I fully expected one to touch down. Didnt stop me from watching it from the window.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I've seen people trundle onto the freeway below the limit, gingerly signal and move all the way across an empty highway (going below the limit) and get into the carpool lane and continue to travel below the limit.

I think there should be a rule, excepting full stop and go traffic, if you are in the HOV lane going the same speed or slower then the rest of traffic you should be ticketed. So many fucktards will sit in the HOV lane speed matching the traffic on the rest of the highway with wide open road ahead of them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BraveUlysses posted:

As annoying as it is to see that, it's not a passing lane.

Its not, its a HOV lane for people that are carpooling to bypass traffic.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ludicro posted:

If you think those roads are bad, imagine doing them in run flat tyres and sport suspension like I have to. My traction control was going ballistic at times.

IMO it's a pretty good idea to turn traction control off in situations like that. It will just lead to you getting stuck when the car decides spinning wheels is scary and hits the brakes killing the momentum you need to get through a mud puddle or some soft ground.

Ask me how I know:

Turns out these tires arent suitable for off roading in Iceland. I begged for a better vehicle for it but this is all they would give me.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Gonna say this is California, gonna say he doesnt have a front plate on illegally ( not gonna hate for that ) and going to say its during the drought and look how dry all his neighbours lawns are and how green his is, with the hose out because he just washed his truck.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Solar Coaster posted:

Try living on the corner of a busy intersection in a car / motorcycle town for a few years then tell me if you agree. I love being woken up in all hours of the night because they decide they want to rev the engine and take off like a rocket at the stoplights. gently caress those guys and their compensation bikes and cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyCVG2eVCk

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
People get SO MAD when you honk at them, I've been flipped off more then once by someone for honking at them sitting at a green light.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

This guy is all in the news here over a little bit of lane splitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVCt8M5sAY8

Not sure why anybody would have a BMW "cruise" along one of the straightest highways in the world when you can see mountains from the city they started in.

Pro loving move.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

PT6A posted:

Wouldn't the insurance industry be in favour of higher minimums, which would justify the charging of higher premiums?

I mean, with under $100k liability, why even really bother with the insurance requirement in the first place?

Lower minimums means they dont have to pay out as much when there is an accident. Heres your 35k have a lovely month.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Negromancer posted:

The one that kills me are the intersections where it is perfectly legal to turn left, but you are completely loving up traffic if you do. There is one intersection (80th and 3rd NW for Seattle people) where it is a very busy street, but also rather narrow(one Lane each way and no room for parked cars on the street) but busy enough that if you try to turn left you are going to block traffic till the light goes yellow.

Never drive in Vancouver then.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

nm posted:

I think only like 15% of peoplr use the limit line properly. Every stop sign it is like "is the fucker going to stop in the crosswalk or just keep on going?" Best is when they've nosed thier way into the intersection enough thattraffic with row can't get past them.
What a bunch of dumb fuckers.

I'm always so loving tempted to walk up over the hoods of cars that do this in the crosswalk.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Handsome Ralph posted:

Saw this gem of a parking job the other night while meeting a friend for dinner.

Is there stairs in front of him? If not then why not... I'd park there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Living my fantasy.