Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Fewd posted:

I don't understand what the burn increasing skill does.

I can't remember the name but it's the rightmost skill in the aptitude list that has the ordnance point bonuses and such. First point in it gives you some sort of vague 1/1/0/0/0 burn bonus or something. I didn't notice any difference in my travel speed after taking it though. Had two cruisers (Dominator and the silly one with one frontal medium energy) and one destroyer (Enforcer) at the time.

Personally I think tugs are a great way to increase burn for the larger ships rather than investing in that skill at the moment.
Most of my supply are currently going to tugs to keep my paragon and atlas moving.
...Though the two do work great together.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Reiz posted:

I feel like you need a pretty large amount of fleet points or max logistics or whatever it's called this patch to be able to do that. I had 5 tugs, had to switch down to 3 tugs because I couldn't keep that many tugs + freighter, cruiser, and enough frigates to be able to comfortably handle any fight. CR/Logistics is a pretty well thought out and balanced system all things considered, the more tugs you run the less you end up needing them.
Yeah that's definitely a valid point. Most of my fleet's logistics are made up of freighters and tugs for support and I am starting to suspect I should probably adjust that.

It's definitely a skill worth investing in now I guess. Most of the skills under technology are worth it really.
I don't actually think I've invested points in the other trees (except leadership) before almost maxing technology.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, definitely. This would be great.

Ideally, I'd like to see Pirates or Independents broken down into other factions or have some way of not annoying every other one of them in existence when you attack one of their ships. So, maybe there's generic pirates and larger pirate 'clans'. Maybe there's an Independent 'league of worlds' but there's also smaller groups.

I'd like to see this played out for all the factions honestly.

So you do a little bit of black market dealing somewhere but the odd port out in the sticks isn't going to know or even care about that.
You massacre a fleet defending a homeworld however and everyone of that faction will know your name.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

andrew smash posted:

It would be nice if there was a tier between strictly-on-the-level and black market, like a used car salesman with a bad combover. He could sell (D) ships but you only find out what the defects are after you buy it. No refunds buddy!
Only if he lives off-planet so you can follow him home to extort and murder him.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Nav buoys are the only thing I focus on in battle. They're critical in helping me scoot around the map.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

RentACop posted:

I meant more along the lines of M&B style battles. Yeah the current implementation isn't objectively bad, just personally I don't like it since it leads to weird gameplay and misses a bunch of other neat opportunities that battles taking time and being joinable would add.

But it is simpler as it is, and even M&B had it's own weird conceptual issues so I can :dealwithit: if I must
Yeah M&B is what I think of when I picture how battles should work. Seriously it would be awesome to actually participate in battle with and against other fleets.
I can settle without it but it really would give more life to the other factions. You might get dragged into a fight you wanted to avoid, only to see that because you've been buddying up with the hegemony so much a patrol fleet nearby has offered to assist, turning the tide of battle when they join in.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Seriously cannot wait for this next patch. It's going to be insane.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I have died to more than one buffalo II because of its nice habit of orgasming missiles out of every orifice just before it dies.
I always forget how much firepower they actually have hidden up their sleeve and this catches me off-guard every time.

Really love the the effort he's put into the AI, and the improvements and officers next patch should just make it better.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

You can rid up an SO Sunder that can fire a plasma cannon for all 150 seconds of peak performance and then some. It's glorious.

The more I play lately the more I realize I just want to get in knife fight range with some kinetic machine guns and as many annihilators as I can cram on a hull. It's just so satisfying.
Oh man I have to try this when I get home.

Only ship I've used with SO so far is my medusa, combined with augmented engines so it can hunt down that 200k bounty retreating in some piece of poo poo frigate.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That's the luddic path variant. It's ridiculously deadly.
Yeah no kidding. Those jerks really caught me off-guard in my latest play through. I was steam rolling through poo poo in my wolf and suddenly these assholes burn in and gently caress up my poo poo before I even have a chance to do anything.

Can't wait to see less (D) class in the markets though. The assholes that try to sell that poo poo should be shot. There's just no reason to ever want to buy them.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Irae posted:

Is there any way to fish reputation up from -100 vengeful? Pro bono bounties don't seem to nudge it up anymore. Otherwise it's time to sit on Hybrasil and murder everything blue colored hoping to get the chance to board some of the big stuff I want to try.
I think once you get yourself past -75 you're hosed for life with that faction.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That would be cool. So make a faction for each system then? "Askonia Independents" "Corvus Independents" maybe?
This would make a lot of sense I think. You could really get ridiculously in-depth in faction relations though.
Like I think there would still be consequences if Askonia independents heard about you slaughtering the poo poo out of Corvus independents but maybe it's reduced?
Heck, you could have inter-faction disputes. Maybe Askonia loving hates Corvus. Each planet could have its own minority factions going on for power plays or wrestling control as well.

The current deal seems pretty simple and almost a placeholder but without caution you could get ridiculously complex with it.

If any faction made sense to have it divided between systems it would definitely be pirates I reckon. I also wished they'd stop getting pissed at me for not giving up my loot.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Minarchist posted:

In the in-game fluff text for Askonia (for example) the Pirates in that system are really Revolutionaries who told the Sindrian Diktat to go gently caress itself. There's no reason they couldn't be a one-planet power hostile to the Sindrians and maybe the Hegemony but neutral/friendly with anyone willing to stick it to the man.
Yeah from the descriptions it feels like a fair few pirate/independent planets have the potential to have unique relations.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder if people would complain less if he just renamed the patches as "Expansion Packs" or "New DLC".
I would still be raging because this next patch, like every patch looks like it's going to be awesome and I'm desperate to get my hands on it.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

McGiggins posted:

I was hoping the new update would be out before i start uni and before ME:A comes out, and I have no free time.

:/
Yeah I know it's uncool to rage out at the single guy working on his dream project but I badly want to see what he's accomplished with the latest patch because it sounds amazing.

Was hoping for my birthday in Feb since he said, "soon" back in December but I'm starting to suspect he can't help himself but continue to tinker until its perfect.
Have to admire how much of a perfectionist Alex is.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Fart Cannon posted:

thx 4 the battle fleet~
I did this and now there's a fancy as gently caress battle fleet floating out on the edge of the system because I underestimated how many supplies I would need to maintain it.
Even at the time I knew it wasn't wise to take everyone along for a couple survey missions but I really thought it'd be fine.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I have an absolute ton of cargo and fuel ships just so I don't have to venture home as frequently but my fleet logistics are always terribly mismanaged.

I think like 50% of my fleet is civilian support(fuel/cargo/survey) to military at any time.
Majority of my military fleet is carriers though.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Platystemon posted:

This is where all that survey/AI money goes. :stare:

I think I’m actually going to fly it like this, at least for a while. The fighter bays still work fine, and I don’t yet need a fully armed and operational battle station.

I was surprised to see the bounty target flying an Astral. I’d been fighting guys with like, one Falcon, and I was not loaded for bear.
All my capitals are loaded on major defects and it's seriously handy. Makes deploying them cost chump change in supplies so I can use them 24/7

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
AI can make some monumentally poor decisions but I actually like it because generally its conservative approach keeps my ships safe.
No idea why your carriers would drop shields like that though, sounds dodgy as hell.

Generally the AI's pretty solid for me. I trust it to handle ships safer than myself. I'll get the kills but crew life expectancy takes a dive when I captain a ship.

I feel like the AI uses missiles and torpedoes more often this patch than previously. I've seen some pretty fair reaper ambushes on myself lately though it still nurses them a bit too much.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 26, 2017

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I finally found a fully armed and operational AI fortress. I had grown weary like some dragonball character unable to find a good challenge, it kicked my rear end. I'm very excited to power up and come back.
I'd crushed a damaged station earlier so I wasn't expecting much more but this thing totally wrecked my rear end. I brought an absolutely overwhelming force but didn't deploy half of it at the beginning because I was being a cheapskate on supplies.
Personally lost like 3 capitals myself while the AI sat back at a safe distance and watched me make an rear end of myself.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Legion was one of the first ships I found floating in space as well and it was a key piece of my fleet for most of my gametime until my fateful encounter with the remnant station.

Bought 2 more after that though. They're absolutely fantastic.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Independents are the only faction that lets you use their military markets without a commission, so you can get cool poo poo from them without having to buy everything on the black market or piss off everyone with the intractable wars the other factions keep getting themselves into. Or you can use them in addition to another faction. This will most likely be the Sindrians because their main military market is in the same system as one of the independents and Askonia tends to have obscene amounts of fuel and supplies stockpiled.

Luddic Path and Pirates also sell from their military markets without a commission though you're less likely to gain relations with them through regular play like Independents.
Path is probably the fastest because you can trade your cores for relations to them though they give an absolute poo poo return on them. Only 10%.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Don't think you can. That would be such a huge time saver. I aim to become a pirate every single start and everytime I do a mission for them some dumbass with a couple frigates tries to mug my deathfleet for the supplies I'm carrying, crippling my relationship once again.
There should be a way to tell them to buzz off because they're hardly intimidating.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I use a paragon, onslaught and a couple legions as my main force to take out remnant stations. The paragon's key to soak up extreme amounts of damage while the rest of the fleet gets into position and hammers it.
It's probably the one combatant where carriers aren't as useful, unless you can protect the fighters well.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I just used the neutrino detector on this sensor package mission to find a probe in the outer reaches of a system and it actually worked! Just blew my mind. I would never have found it, thing was ages away from anything else.
Normally when I accidentally click those types of missions it's always some probe way off hidden in a freaking ship graveyard and system-wide debris field.

Tanith posted:

How do you people skip the +50% energy and ballistic projectile speed? :psyduck:

I can barely function without it.
I've played on and off for years and I don't think I've ever actually unlocked this skill.
I spend a lot of time with all my weapons computer-controlled because I can't hit for poo poo and just assumed any skills related to it would do me no good.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 5, 2017

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Nosre posted:

Word. Do you specifically mean red? I've seen lots of beacons but they look orange to me so I'm not sure if there's two types
They all appear orange on the map but when viewed from your ingame screen they have a different colour. They're hard to differentiate even still though.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Derinkuyu's part of the tutorial and starts out under pirate control. It'll be fixed in the next patch.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Section Z posted:

I also wish somebody had told me sooner that the fancy warp jump power "But it uses fuel" just uses the same amount of fuel it would have taken to use a wormhole anyways. Even when I got the thing I was still taking the trip to normal exits under the assumption it would cost less... But nope, exact same fuel as just smashing the space button.
You're making GBS threads me. What the gently caress have I been wasting all my time for then?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

You also have to consider that this is a bit of heroic fiction. The ai jumping on a big risk to tear you up in a close battle just isn't the narrative being pushed.
There's some weird outliers but I feel like they're still strong at getting kills without exposing themselves. Just had a fight where I was blasting this destroyer to hell because he's almost max flux and trying to back off so I decide to pursue him to keep drilling him.
Then his brother comes up on my flank; I figure it's cool because I'm still sitting pretty at low flux until the dude I'm wrecking fires off all his sabots and his buddy just blasts out a bunch of reapers at the same time.

I immediately poo poo bricks and realise I can't drop my shields because the sabots are coming in same time as the reapers and just end up taking it and losing half my hull.

I really appreciate how cautious the AI is now though because when I think of how many ships I let the AI control in my fleet(all of them) I just have to think of how many more ships I've personally lost solo in my many reckless attacks.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I disagree, a tanker was the first ship I bought on the latest patch so I could reach the outer edge of the system safely and hit up the analyse/survey missions. The missions are great to help you explore, get cash and help boost your reputation with your factions of choice.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

I haven't actually ever tried a full luddic path fleet, a pure frigate swarm with haphazardly fit d-mod ships sure but not a fully pimped 30 frigate overdrive murder blob. Will be interesting to see if that can even beat one of those bounties with double moras.

If you put in the effort in outfitting this then I'll expend the effort to watch a replay because that sounds pretty sick.
I keep meaning to setup some frigate death fleet but it just ends up so much easier building a few capitals and forgetting about frigates because refitting them when they die just wastes so much time.
With the new patch it's even easier to refit frigates when they check out but I just can't stand it when their loadout isn't completely symmetrical. It drives me nuts.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I try to keep it balanced but it usually ends up a bunch of Onslaughts and stronger, with the majority of them rolling a heap of D-mods so I can deploy them cheaply.

Anything below that I keep for pursuits.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Pulse lasers are my bread and butter in this game.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I wish I could still feel that sharp jump of joy before realising the next patch is still 1-2 years away.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I raged out and quit my job this week so I hope it releases now.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I start a new job Monday after taking 3 weeks off. This bad boy is coming out Sunday night and I'm calling in sick. Calling it now.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
This game can really be feast or famine with the blueprints and salvage. Just played a whole game and got utterly dunked on by the red planet because I never once found a capital blueprint. Just got hoards of pirate, ludd and hegemony prints. Seemed like a sign that low tech was my destiny.
After that I finally got legion and paragon prints in the same loot, which is game changing.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah you've not had a fun game till a expanded missile racks kite unloads 4 reapers into your onslaughts rear end because you didn't bother killing it becasue "it's just a kite, what's it gonna do".

I've been playing for years and this is still how I die every game.
The other one is when I get greedy in a large battle, flux out my ship and then see a dozen frigates just start unloading harpoons into my side. This one catches me out the most; the computer really knows how to exploit a moment of weakness.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Popete posted:

Jumping back into this after not playing in awhile (or very far). Should I start on easy or normal? I don't wanna get halfway thru a long run and wish I had started on normal and have to restart.
I run a campaign one every patch which can be a year between and I always play normal. I think like you said you'd just be frustrated once you get into a campaign and find it gets weird with half damage. If you've played before you'll be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I waste a good week every time a new patch comes out, and then more when mods update and get released. Feel almost dishonest for how little I spent and how much gametime I get from it.

Love reading the dev's blogs and patch notes as well. The guy's absolutely meticulous and everything he does seems super well thought out. "If I build this will it actually be fun for the player?".