Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Just give me a drat Gunblade already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Can I glamour my 2H Axe to look like a Buster Sword? Like I swear that thing showed up in trailers but I haven't seen one ingame yet on anyone.

I figured this game would be full of Cloud Leonhearts wielding flaming buster swords, but weirdly they seem to have avoided that.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

ActionZero posted:

Flaming buster swords are summoned for the level 1 and 2 melee DPS limit breaks. Have you really not seen one of those yet?

I'm level 41 and I've literally never seen anyone use a limit break. Like maybe it's because I'm tanking and people expect me to be the one to pop that in a bossfight, but really it's just like...NEVER come up.

Speaking of which I was in some Fate thing earlier in Coerthas where this huge cyclops one-shotted me, and then did it to me again when I came back into the area. Without thinking when the fight was over I queued up for a Duty Finder Light Party, and didn't realize until after the third boss in Brayflox that I had literally no unbroken gear equipped. Like, everything was busted. We made it through to the end with no wipes and I mentioned it jokingly and instantly recieved three commendations from the entire party, haha.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 22, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Is every MMO community this mean to tanks? :<

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Okay, so I just hit Level 42 Warrior. I got Holmgang, and now I have no idea how to setup my hotbar. I play with a controller just because I find it a lot more comfortable the way I sit and play and it's faster for me to hit all the buttons that way, but I just have SO MANY SKILLS now that I think I have to sit back and reprioritize how to best optimize everything since up until now I was just sort of throwing things on the binds without thinking about it... Anyone have any ideas? Like what should I ALWAYS have access to (Face Buttons) and what's a little less important to always be hammering (D-pad)?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

Okay so here's what I use:

And here's my double-trigger bars:

The star is just a hotkey for /focustarget and the ! is for /levelsync because I am balls deep in atma farming. And one of those is a Provoke macro for notifying tank swaps.

Man, I tried to rebind just now and I loving embarassed myself in the middle of a Stone Vigil run. I was like WHICH ONE OF THESE IS OVERPOWER!!! WHICH ONE OF THESE IS FLASH!! OH GOD, OH GOD WHAT AM I DOING!! I JUST FRACTURED INSTEAD OF INTERRUPTING THIS ATTACK, OH GOD!

Ugh...UGH.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Feenix posted:

What the hell is that?!

Also... nebulous giant question:

I'm about to hit 50 like... today. What should I do first when I hit 50? I want a cool weapon or whatever. And I guess I should get that sick dance emote.

Kobold Beast Tribe reward mount.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Hahah, there's an achievement for having max rank on the Steropes FATE. Very cool to have,

edit: There are also archers who run circles around bosses jumping up and down like they think it's letting them dodge attacks

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 25, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So the database doesn't say this but Provoke immediately puts you at the top of any enmity chart? So if I have 5 hate, and the dragoon has 7, it'll put me at 8?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

the drg will still have 7 though, so you better hit the enemy with something too

Well I assume that's a given. I noticed today flash doesn't break mez, so if we have someone doing CC is that a good combo?

I've been doing a lot of stone vigil and it's the first dungeon I've actually had problems in, where I can look at a wipe and say 'Yeah, that was probably my bad'. With pub groups it comes down to hoping I get heal-bombed in time as soon as a big pull happens. (All my armor is at my current level, specced for vitality, just gathered 45 AF gear.)

Like so far my strat for pulling has been tomahawk, overpower on the mobs, and then Butchers Block Combo, Fracture, Storms Path Combo, Butchers Block Combo x2, Overpower, Storms Path Combo, etc. I do the overpowers because inevitably the DPS isn't focusing on the same target and I'm trying to maintain aggro. If we have someone doing CC I use Flash instead now.

I've also been using Inner Beast and avoiding Unchained because I find the damage buff is hard to notice and it doesn't last that long.

Also with my own self-buffs, like Protect. Should I aim to have them up constantly or hold onto them incase things start to go bad, like healing starts falling behind?

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 26, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I meant foresight and thrill of battle and whatnot.

edit: And people are saying I should also have featherfoot?

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 26, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's a deployable turret that shoots shields and firecrackers, eliminating the tank role entirely.

edit: Actually I wouldn't mind an deployable offtank.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 26, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I've been working on getting Provoke and Awareness on my Warrior by grinding out Gladiator and man, I just feel like I have a such harder time keeping aggro without Overpower. Like there's Flash Spam, but it's much less...consistent as soon as a battle gets going. Is there a trick to this?

I feel like I'm switching targets a lot more is what I'm saying. While I could lean back on the couch and play Warrior with a controller, I feel like I have to switch over to a mouse to play Gladiator.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 27, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Darksaber posted:

I don't have much experience with Warrior, but when I'm tanking on my Paladin I do tend to switch targets all the time to spread out my threat combo after I've established the initial pull, so I'm not sure you're really missing anything. You're marking targets, correct? Normally even the most brain dead dps can follow the big numbers. If you've got a Summoner who isn't lazy sometimes you'll have to work a bit more, too.

Yeah, it seems like GLD/PLD has to (duh, almost like it's the role of this particular class) focus down individual targets to effectively get their attention whereas Marauder drops the loving mic but the mic is also an exploding axe. This means the Warrior has to be a bit more proactive (offensive) about positioning but can basically stack enemies in front of them, whereas a GLD/PLD has to be looking in more directions at once but is at the mercy of a party following orders as a reactive (defensive) tank. This also means however that Gladiators/Paladins get more single-shot ranged aggro abilities (shield toss/provoke) and abilities that focus on keeping aggro without breaking mez (Flash), but requires more coordination with a team. Marauders can get a lot of attention really fast but the party has to react to THEM due to abilities like overpower and steel cyclone breaking mez and also being AOE.

I can see what Yoshida means about Warriors being more technical since their three main aggro control moves (if I'm counting right) require a lot more knowledge about what's going on around you at all times whereas a good Paladin can just get up in somethings loving face and get their head beaten in without much worry. A warrior with poor situational awareness can gently caress up an OT if their positioning is bad or break mez prematurely, leading to an overburden on healing in long fights.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 27, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I really wish they hadn't blown Doomtrain has a throwaway reference in the campaign.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, I actually RAN OUT of Leve Allowance grinding out my way through 48 and I was surprised how much XP a non-daily run through Haukke Manor gave me for my XP.

By the way, being the only non-Lalafell in a party? Kinda hosed up.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Man, people running Castrum Meridianum are NOT okay with people who are there for the story, are they

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I've been threatened with kicks in Light Parties and Full Parties and had people drop for saying "Hey guys, I'm new. I know I'm tanking, but I've read up on the fights and watched videos so I know how they work. If there's anything you'd like to add we can do a ready check at each boss door."

Like I try to be REALLY accomodating but the endgame main scenario stuff really tested my patience with the tryhards. Luckily my Praetorium run had some good explanations and I got a bunch of commendations at the end. Like I never try to walk into a dungeon BLIND but there's only so much I can do until I try a run for myself.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 29, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Winter Stormer posted:

Same reason that there are a bunch of tanks who either never use cooldowns or use them all at once. :v:

I'm still learning how to use them. Like honestly, I see them as a supplement for things a passable healer should already be doing, and I don't ever count on them to turn the tide of a fight. I use them if I SEE problems emerging to give my party the support it needs to keep me alive so I can continue to focus on maintaining aggro.

However this is based off of trial and error, really.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Also I've been trying to look up Warrior guides and half of them seem to have been written last year and the comments/replies are full of people telling them not to bother, the class is trash, it's unsalvagable and don't you dare queue for any endgame content using it and you should just switch to Paladin.

So... Did...anything change? Or is this grognards being grognards or...?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm slowly working my way through the post-50 content.

For instance, today I sat on a chair shaped like a Tonberry King.

Seriously though I'm working my way through the...sigh...Minfilla-centric post-50 scenario poo poo. I unlocked Ampador Keep, on my way to the Chimera to unlock Bravura, unlocked Labyrinth of the Ancients... There's just...so MUCH poo poo to do and I'm not even sure where to start. Like something tells me I should be grinding out stones of myth to start getting gear from Mor Dhona so I can do AK and finish Bravura, right?

edit: Oh and I fought Behemoth. That fight is basically pikmin, honestly.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 30, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah numbering is easy and even just putting a 1 on the thing you plan to pull first makes fights move a lot faster. Like in Aurum Vale I number the fruit and say 'I'm taking #3, everyone else pick one'

Rei_
May 16, 2004

For light parties you should be marking the target you should be marking the target you plan to pull, and maybe a second one if there are more than three enemies coming in the group.

So I'm at lLevel 50. Is Ampador Keep okay to roulette for? The gear that is i55 so it seems like a good place to run for upgrades until I can afford better stuff. Like will Demons Wall be a problem if one person is right at the cap?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm going to wind up buying this dumb soundtrack aren't I

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I did the Hildibrand questline last night and uh, holy poo poo. I don't think I've ever genuinely LAUGHED at an MMO before, that was loving fantastic.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

None. Go hit up Auriana.

You might want to consider saving those for your relic and eventual +1 relic (225 needed for the Rahz-at-Han Quenching Oil and 900 needed for the upgrade to Zenith), however.

Yeah I'm gonna grind out tomestones while doing dungeons and helping out pubs with Story Roulette so I can get Bravura and Zenith Bravura, and by the time I'm all like TO THE COIL i might actually be passably competent.

KaneTW posted:

At least he's not petting his dog during the raid and forgetting to heal.

Dogs > Games. Every time.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I tanked a Main Scenario Ultima Weapon run today with all four DPS slots taken up by Bards. Is that a thing??? Are bards the new hotness?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I hate it when my lion forgets leg day.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I went into tanking Copperbell Mines (Hard) and totally blew it, like I was i54 (alongside like, i90 Dragoon, Bard and WHM), which shouldnt have been too bad but we wiped at the first boss because I couldnt stun the bombs in time. Felt like absolute trash, I hate being the obvious fuckup in a dungeon.

So I run Normal Haukke Manor after that for Roulette and we had this like, Dragoon who kept trying to speedrun the dungeon (running ahead of the entire party to try to solo groups) and my entire challenge for that was to like, keep everything marked clearly and under control and it actually ran rather smoothly. I came out of that feeling pretty good actually, like I knew I could reasonably do my job in this game.

Its awful when you clearly have it like (1) and (2) and the Dragoon is hammering away at the unmarked 3rd one. Why is it always Dragoons

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 3, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I did my first CT run on my Warrior and got the Armor of Light. It's cool, REALLY cool, and categorically better than anything I could ever hope to have but I really miss the Accuracy bonus.

Vil posted:

Oh my god it is pink I must have it

SAME

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I did Ifrit HM with some friends tonight and it went rather well! I MT'ed, stayed on it, kept everything going. Then we ran Greg for funsies and when they were all I gone I was like

I got this, I know how this works now. I'll just queue up for HM Ifrit on my own to try and get that weapon.

Holy poo poo are pubs bad at this game.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

I can confirm it's actually possible to win a DF Ifrit HM, it isn't very likely though.

And it's the easiest one. It's basically a tank and spank where you avoid AOEs. Barely any positioning is involved except for the plumes.

Also, just did Garuda (Hard) for the first time. Our Paladin was wearing just a crown and a chestpiece so I offered to MT, and.

I was loving shaking by the end of it, time to study up for Titan

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 4, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

HM Titan is going to require for me at least a post-it note and some rough notes by my laptop.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

edit: ^^^ Yeah, I've noticed people don't quite get the nails or the feathers, so during Garuda I was marking the Satin Feathers and before Ifrit I asked if we could burn limit breaks on the Nails.

I guess for tanking I just have to stand in one spot and avoid bombs, but it doesn't hurt to know about any wrinkles. Whereas Ifrit has the OT managing stunts on Eruption, and Garuda is about positioning and movement around the map, Titan puts the onus on the rest of the party to move while the tank sort of has an easy ride.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Isn't there an Extreme Roulette or some poo poo

Also, what iLevel should I be looking at before walking into Titan HM?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

And from everything I've heard the Binding Coil is where it goes from 'Some friends might be useful here' to 'if you don't have a group of people you know you can rely on, you will die every single time.'

Rei_
May 16, 2004

seorin posted:

Just had a nightmare of a titan HM for my trial roulette. Over half the people were new (including both healers), and the scholar hadn't even watched a video. I try to be a nice player, so I stuck it out the entire hour despite it being obvious that they were not going to win even with 50% echo.

It got me thinking, shouldn't they at least let you give commendations after a failure? You get nothing for failing, so there's every incentive to just bail on a group at the first sign of trouble. There has to be a way to give people more incentive to stick around and actually try.

hahaha, were you in that with me? We had like, this newbie Paladin who kept INSISTING on tanking even though I had him outgeared and I'd always be the last one standing in each fight. People kept running off the edge, no one was dodging poo poo, and the one time I said I'd tank I was so pissed off at that point I forgot to pop Defiance until Titan landed the first punch.

Anyway, I rerolled immediately after and it's a shame, a drat shame. I only had that Garuda Axe for about 12 hours.

So in 24 hours:
-Ran Ifrit with friends, flawless
-Ran Garuda through Finder, aced first try tanking
-Ran Titan, series of embarassing shitshows until finally competent people appeared.

It's weird being OT during some of these fights because your job is basically to helplessly watch the trainwreck happen.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 5, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Was the other Paladins name Kevin

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Chairman posted:

I guess the bulk of new PS4 players are hitting 50 now because I can't really explain otherwise why roulettes have been so uniquely terrible the past few days

I swear to god it almost feels like I'm being an rear end in a top hat about it, but I just get these like, DPS players sometimes who do not loving talk, like ever, and spend the entire instance running ahead, DYING and then running ahead of us again. Over and over. You try to explain that there are ways to rush an instance, but for the most part pulling has to be done in a controlled manner and at a pace that the healer can keep up with. They don't pay attention to marks, they just wail away on sleeping targets, draw aggro so many times on last-mark targets I'm running out of MP and TP trying to keep everything under control. And I'm sitting there like, oh my god, I'm carrying a ten year old through this dungeon. Oh gently caress. Call of Duty has come to MMOs because there are no games on PS4.

Dungeon ends, DPS player says 'bad tank' and then quits. Two commends from the other players. Like

:sigh:

And I wish poo poo like this was uncommon, but I had a healer LAST night who was jumping circles around me while i was fighting mobs with frontal AOE cones. I can't MOVE because if I switch the positioning the BLM is in the way.

It would be ENTIRELY different if they communicated. If they just said 'I'm just a kid and/or I'm new to this' it'd be whatever. I love showing people how to play these games, and how early-to-mid content works.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Gigas Mastermind in loving Copperbell Mines has bottlenecked me in this loving game like nothing else. Titan HM? Took two tries. Garuda HM? First try. Haukke, Pharos, Wanderers Palace, all of that poo poo? First try. Copperbell mines I've had to sit through four abandons now across a week.

Like I don't even know what I'm doing wrong anymore. I literally before each fight, say
-"Hi, has everyone done this before?"
-"Move up the bridge when he casts Dark Fire, stay out of the fire, burn the adds, FOCUS DOWN THE BOMBS."

Then we wipe. Then we wipe again. Then someone calls an Abandon and it passes immediately.

And it's like, should I as the tank be running ahead and grabbing all of the adds? I can't. He moves when I pull him and the bridge burns behind him. I certainly can't sit there and tomahawk mining dross and gigas all day. When I have tried that, I just get the poo poo kicked out of me and the healer can't keep up. And the bombs always wind up detonating. I just try to hold him as close to the fire as I can while leaving room for flanking.

Like, I can't clear this drat thing and I can't unlock Roulette because of it and it's really starting to bother me.

• Locked thread