Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You should throw down a shout out to Renedra, who are every good Historical terrain makers best buddy. Nothing beats those tent sprues they make for cheap and easy terrain that works in every era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

Please tell me more. Do they make it in 20mm? I need me some Saga terrain.

It's not just usable for SAGA it's in the SAGA rulebook. Renedra are the people who made all the tents you see everywhere in the rulebook pictures.

I'd say as far as premade terrain goes Pegasus Hobbies is the best, bar none. They make some great pre-painted medieval cottages that are about fifteen bucks a piece.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

signalnoise posted:

Separate question: What's the best way to get lego bricks purely for the purpose of using them as bracing frames so I can force the joints on my hirst bricks to be tight? All I want is the standard bricks and a base plate and some flat top tiles. Should I just buy by the brick direct from lego?

Bricklink

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I've seen some people do Infinity or post-apocalyptic projects here and there across the internet, and a lot of them feature mini posters like those from the Fallout games. Anybody know where I can find a file with these little posters I could print out?

Most people just re-size them in GIMP from real posters.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
In the past I've just used a shake table and never had that much issue with bubbles but maybe I'm just lucky.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

signalnoise posted:

I actually am trying to do exactly the same table style as that guy but I am finding I have no way to transport the drat tiles.

Terrain is so goddamn space intensive

A buddy of mine is actually working on a system of etched interlocking MDF boards for this exact reason.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?226343-Tommygun-does-what-with-paper/

That dude does some pretty intense stuff with Papercraft terrain for modern stuff.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
A campsite?

Most campsites are made so that they are easily walked through yet could provide cover.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I guess this would be the place to post a preview photo of the thing I got my Santee:

Modular dungeon tiles are cool.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Baron Snow posted:

:aaaaa: Who makes it? Where can I get it? :aaaaa:

It's made by these dudes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/FreedCreativity

I personally own the prototypes for the 3D tiles. I got the 2D ones for my Santee because unfortunately they hadn't started making the 3D ones for sale yet. I have no idea when they'll sell them but if you email them they would probably cut you some. The minis also totally work with those official D&D acrylic standee things that GF9 makes so that's a bonus.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you head to dollar tree this time of year you can get cobble/brick paths made out of rubber for Christmas villages. Sure you don't get much (like 15x4 inches or something) but its only a dollar.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Acceptableloss posted:

So I found the Christmas village mat that people have referred to:
http://www.ehobbytools.com/contents/en-us/p859.html

Not a terrible price either, though 18x36 is a rather inconvenient dimension....

There's also this stuff, it's for doing streets and stuff for railroad modelling. Basically its paper with raised textures and an adhesive backing:

http://www.micromark.com/cobblestone-paper-4-sheets-o-scale,8523.html

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lord Twisted posted:

This thread is pretty inspirational! I'm a complete noob when it comes to D I Y stuff like this, but I was wanting to make a very simple board for 40k - 6x4 foot, cut into 6 2x2 squares for storage purposes. I can use a saw so that isn't Outrageously hard

Would MDF work for that? My plan was then to just flock it, do goons recommend any sort of high bulk cheap flock or modelling sand?

From there I wanted to make modular roads and rivers - will investigate Vallejo water effects and I saw people posting almost wallpaper strips of road vinyl which I could glue onto cardboard which looked pretty cool

As I mentioned above the strips of road are a dollar at Dollar Tree right now. They are in the christmas village section. I tend to like MDF for modular boards, but I've also seen Plywood and my friend used those foam yoga mat tiles. Generally you use bulk sand, usually aquarium sand since its very fine grain.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lord Twisted posted:

Would need a diagram to get what you mean! And by Aquarium sand, do you mean stuff like this? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/sand-mix-aquarium-gravel-8kg-by-pets-at-home-25788

Hadn't really thought about that. 8 KG (!) for £11 seems like a good deal if my friend and I both pitch in for it.

Normal sand is cheaper but the grain size (how big the individual pieces of sand are) is much larger so some people who do modelling like Aquarium sand because it looks closer in scale to miniatures.

I think the UK equivalent to Dollar Tree would be Poundland/99P. No idea if they have the model road strips in stock right now but they are common in all those kind of shops this time of year (also in Hobby Lobby if you have one of those).

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yep.

That paper accepts airbrushing, so it's got to have some resilience. The down side is that it is in 6x9 sheets, so you're going to need a lot to do a board. Personally, I'd look for wallpaper with a similar texture - you're going to get a lot more for less money. Another option is to use foam insulation board and draw the cobblestones with a ballpoint pen - it will take a while, but you will get some good results.

Or do this.

The 6x9 thing sucks but each of those packs comes with 4 sheets so it's more like one 12x18 inch square. Still spendy when compared to using something like Sculptamold and a roller.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
In another entry into the file called "this hobby will give me cancer" today I made a river board using the time honored railroad hobby method: propane torching a styrofoam board.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The river is GF9/Battlefront.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Slimnoid posted:

I imagine it's old then, because I don't see it anywhere on GF9. The only ones I see are the pre-painted ones, and the ones I did were resin and unpainted before I got my hands on them.

In that case they might be very very old Armorcast ones. Were they cream colored resin or grey colored resin?

Edit: Yeah it's the Armorcast one.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Slimnoid posted:

Cream colored. They were old as hell and just sitting in a bag under one of the gaming table, and no one could say who had brought it in.

I imagined it was Armorcast, but they didn't have anything on their site which was close to what I painted up.

Yeah that's early Armorcast stuff, I think from the times they still made things for GW.

Also, since people had asked about the cool 3D dungeon tiles, they are actually for sale now:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/173525486/brakenboard-3d-tabletop-battlegrid-tiles?ref=shop_home_active_1
http://www.etsy.com/listing/173933083/brakenboard-stand-up-hero-tokens?ref=shop_home_feat_4

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

The second Underground Lasers kickstarter is open, already funded and going nicely through stretch goals, which is cool because the first project really stalled early. It's got terrain for Infinity Paradiso, 3x3x3 stuff specific for Deadzone, some more generic scifi stuff, and has some Gothic things plus more infinity/scifi and Deadzone to unlock as it goes along, so check it out if you're interested.

Prime yo poo poo son.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

I did, extensively. What makes you think I didn't?

The inside of all those rails being really bright colored. Or did you paint them like that?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I've never had issues with Harbor Freight compressors. The drill press I bought from them is a little dodgy but it was like 60 bucks and it's never done it's job poorly it just sometimes makes noises that would seem to indicate the internal gear system is not exactly stable.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Theres also a Krylon paint called Make it Stone that works but you have to wear a mask while using it (it's a legit carcinogen).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Eldar buildings are easy. Just go to the florist section of your local craft store and look for the egg and globe shaped pieces of foam. Take these and hacksaw them in half, then cut off the very top too (like, the top half inch or inch). Now stick some of those warp gate fins on the side (I use poster board but MDF is fine) and put a couple inch wide platform of MDF or Plasticard on the top to make a place to stand.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If anyone is looking for some good Dwarf terrain, various internet people have been buying up this cheap playset on eBay and repainting it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

enri posted:

I was all over that until I spotted the postage costs :psyduck: nice idea if you can pick it up cheap though

Yeah there aren't any on eBay except that one right now because I think a lot of people saw that pic in Harry's Warseer thread and immediately bought all the ones on US eBay.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Wanna model a huge joint in dat volcano's mouth.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ravendas posted:

Made a lightbox, tested out some basic pieces to see how well it photographs. I need better lights on the sides, as the flashlights I'm using now are too pointed in their lighting, but it's definitely better than taking pictures with room lighting on a desk.

Some Hirst Arts stuff:

One of the 2x4 tiles was painted a little differently. It doesn't stand out so much on the table though.

Bonus Reaper Bones kobolds. Just started painting minis, decided to grind through my 24 kobolds first.

Use Matte Varnish, move your lights back they aren't diffusing properly.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ravendas posted:

I just need to get better lights. That's taken with some led flashlights one the sides and a florescent lamp on top. Using two layers of white tissue paper to diffuse the light.

I do really need to get some dullcote or matte varnish of some kind. I've used it on the floors before, and it worked really well to take the shine off from the Future Floor Polish. I didn't use Future on the walls, figuring they wouldn't need the protection because they won't see so many minis shuffling around on them.

Eh, thats a fine light setup TBH, you just need to not have them be so close to the diffusing panels. White tissue paper works fine to make panels.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
My friend just built one out of a pool table. You can get pool tables that have been damaged and dented (since once you dent the top of a cheap pool table its basically worthless) for the price of being willing to haul it away.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

signalnoise posted:

What's the best 4x4 table option to cover a coffee table without loving it up? I have a roughly 3x3 square coffee table that I would like to be able to play 4x4 games on because gently caress standing anyway. Whatever table topper also needs to be stored easily. Does such a thing exist?

I just put a table cloth over my gaming table, which is a 4x4 cut of plywood bottomed with felt sitting on a normal coffee table and no one is the wiser.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dr. Clockwork posted:

While on this subject, anybody got a source for those birch seed pods that look like little leaves? I can't find anyplace that sells them in large quantities, just the small bags at Secret Weapon.

If/when these guys get this back in stock (you can email them they have good customer service):
https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/lemon-thyme/profile

Lemon Thyme leaves are good for fake leaves, just remember to varnish them because like all biodegradable stuff (those seed pods included) they can yellow and fall apart over time.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
:ssh: You can also buy large amounts of fake reed grass at the dollar store in the floral department.

I roll my own flock:

I tend to think it looks OK

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

That last one would be great as seaweed. What is it and can you get it in brown?

Dill, and it can be dyed easily.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Dark Project posted:

Everybody is as tall as a space marine. Seriously, look at the figures!

My favorite thing is when people make fun of marine by sketching what they would look like in real life over the armor.

It's like, yeah, they do look like that. They are legitimately proportioned like pinheaded gorilla men.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Tacky Glue is best for cardboard and pink/blue foam. It's like halfway between elmers glue and hot glue and it holds stuff real nice. Also its available at pretty much every place with an art section (WalMart, Michaels, Fred Meyer, etc).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ZachAttack posted:

Has anyone here ordered a Zuzzy gaming mat? I put in an order almost 17 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them since then. I have emailed and messaged them on facebook with no reply. I get that it takes time from them to send this stuff out (up to 12 weeks according to their website) but this seems a bit excessive, especially given the lack of any communication on their part once they got my money.

Sounds about right, mine took about 3 months to get to me but they can take a lot longer if you are in the US. Totally worth it tho.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

I haven't kept up with sci-fi terrain for a while. But now my nephew is in a Star Wars phase, and is playing the SW miniatures game a lot. I'd like to paint/build some 3D terrain to spice up the flat playing mats used for the game, and I wonder if there are any good examples of Star Wars style terrain out there? The only Sci-fi terrain I have is the Mantic Deadzone stuff.

Off the top of my head a lot of Armorcast stuff has a very SW feel to it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

Here's a thought, which SW minis game are you talking about, X Wing with all the ships flying around in space, or Imperial Assault with all the ground guys moving around on cardstock room tiles?

Usually SW Minis refers to the D20 based skirmish that is done on grids and X Wing refers to the X Wing minis game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

Was just trying to point out that "SW minis game" isn't really specific enough any more with all the FFG releases, not planning to get anything except Armada myself

Well I mean, those games aren't called Star Wars Minis while the D20 based game is. Seems pretty specific to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's that special time of year when Saint Vinnies, Goodwill and the Dollar Store put out all their Christmas poo poo. It's a good place to get loads of stuff from. Goodwill and Vinnies generally price all buildings around 3 dollars and accessories a bit less than that. Today I got a covered bridge for 3 bucks that looks great next to some minis and has 0 Christmas anything on it. Also saw a load of trees and a ton of the rock walls but they wanted like ~6 bucks for two walls and while they are super nice thats about half of retail and if you wait till January Christmas Clearance at department stores you can pick up new ones for about that price.