Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Can confirm it's happening on desktop as well. Probably Lowtax messing with the code, since everyone else to messes with it seems to die from Radium poisoning...

Edit
It's not Lowtax, but it is someone else:

Lowtax posted:

In other news, we're (still) working on re-indexing the search, as there have been, ahem, "difficulties" in my attempt to contact ZDR, so I had to set somebody else up with access to the db, and they're still trying to figure out how the virtual server worms powering our AMAZING CLOUD SERVICES function. I just wanted you all to know that we're aware of the issue and actively working on it.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Well, goons, it looks like our time using Awful to read the SomethingAwful.com forums is over.

The Play Store description says it's now a browser for https://www.somethingisawful.com

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Bring back the frog you cowards! :argh:

If you have a launcher that supports customizing icons, like Nova, then I got you.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

That is a changelog and a half, nice work.

At first, I thought you meant the one on the Play Store. Which is A Very Good Changelog.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sereri posted:

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure that's been in the app description since, like, 2011? This is the oldest I can find

Ah. I only started using it a few months ago, so I never saw it before.

Sereri posted:

If you have nova launcher you can also tell it to use legacy icons

Huh. I guess I'm not nerd enough to know how to do that. Oh well!

Edit: Apparently, my phone doesn't support that feature. Adaptive Icons is always greyed out.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 18, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I believe it's a Nova Launcher Prime feature. Cough up that $5!

I did! I have Prime! My phone runs Android 6.0.1, so I guess I can't access it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Wherever the icon is, probably in the app drawer, long press it and select Edit.from the list that appears. In the new list, click the icon. You should have the option to change it to whatever you've selected in the app itself or, if you select the Gallery Apps option, to browse to whatever you've saved to use as an icon.

Yeah, that's how I changed it to the original icon that I posted upthread. But I don't have any option for Legacy Icons.

However, I did just discover that I have to toggle on Adaptive Icons to then be able to access Adaptive Icon Style. But that's just the ugly Android Oreo crap. The only thing for Legacy is Reshape Legacy Icons, making them match the round/squircle/teardrop junk.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jiru posted:

Supposed so. Oh well, thanks anyway!

You don't want to root and install a custom ROM?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, Awful lives up to its name on tablet. Instead of the list threads taking up the full screen, they take up about 90%, with the other 10% being the list of forums on the left side of the screen.

Probably because the app isn't made/optimized for tablets.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Daztek posted:

Under Advanced -> Device and Navigation there's a Thread Layout setting you can change, set it to phone layout if you want to have the thread list take up the full screen

That did it. Thanks!

Sereri posted:

The last time I looked at the app on a tablet probably was around Android 5 ?

Tablet view should be forum index and view both taking up 50% of the screen. So either your tablet is poo poo (it's an Android tablet after all) or the app broke at some point (it's an Android app after all)

It did, it's not, and it didn't. I just misremembered what it covered, after years of staring at Imgur doing it at those rates on my old Nexus 7 (2013).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I get the blank page thing now, myself. Both on my phone running Android 6.0.1 and my brand tablet running 8.0.

The only workaround I've found is to load a thread with no new replies first. If I do that, all threads with new replies load fine.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

also on the link menu thing, not promising it will be changed but would people prefer tap = open it, long-tap = menu? That's how it works in things like browsers...

Personally, I like it how it is now, and want browsers to do it that way.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I always preview unless it's a really, really short post. Like one-third the length of this one.

Measure twice, cut once.

Same. The app does the jittery thing for previews if there's an image or tweet. If it's just text, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

spankmeister posted:

When images are very tall, the display image screen does not allow me to zoom in enough to read the image.

Example:

I just get a blank screen when I choose Display Image for that one

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is anyone else getting an issue where things hosted on LPix suddenly aren't showing in the app? It was working just a day or two ago, but it's happening in multiple threads now in the app but shows up fine in my browser app.

It was working fine for me. I just checked, and now, it's not. No LPix images are loading for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

got a link to a thread? I dunno what that is. If it's something to do with Let's Plays then a bunch of them are using http instead of https and something changed in the most recent version of Android so yeah there's a fix in the next version for that

This is the thread I used earlier, when I was at work. But now it's loading just fine. I'd wonder if it was work wi-fi being lovely, but other images loaded fine...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Well there's a lot of http images in that thread, and that's an issue for the latest version of Android (until the app fix is out) so uh if it's suddenly working... I dunno!

I am not on the newest verison of Android. My phone is locked into 6.0.1.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

(If I remember) I'll check again tomorrow at work. If they don't load again, I'll chalk it up to my work wi-fi and LPix not playing nice...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just checked the thread, and everything loads fine. :iiam:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can't rate threads. When I select a number, I get a message that says, "An error occurred while voting, please try again."

And yes, webview is up to date. Also, I don't use Chrome.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Now's probably not a good time to test it. The forums are acting up because the search feature is being reindexed.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can preview posts now, but I still can't rate threads.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

why what does it say

Apparently, one of two things happened:

1) There was another update that was just pushed
2) My update didn't take

I opened the app on my tablet, and it gave me the popup with the new version notes, which my phone never did. However, I hadn't updated it on my tablet, so that was weird. Updated it on my tablet, was able to rate the thread fine. Checked the Play Store on my phone, and there was an update. Installed it, opened it, got the What's New popup, and I can rate threads.

Whatever happened, it's all working fine now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not having any of the issues posted in this thread since the Post Preview was fixed.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure if this has anything to do with Awful, but the links to the new Retro Gaming and Mobile Gaming subforums in the current announcement don't open in Awful. They just automatically open my browser app, and load the forums there.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I follow that thread, and I checked it in the Awful App on my phone at work. I didn't have time to reply in this thread, but I saw everything up to the post by DACK FAYDEN, which was the last post in the thread at that time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tablet mode is the loving worst. Thankfully, my new tablet tells apps that it's a phone, so I never see that poo poo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is it possible to add a Show Only Your Posts option to the three dot menu at the top of a thread page? The section with Post Reply, Unbookmark, Rate Thread, etc.?

Currently, you have to find one of your own posts, and choose it from the three dot menu on the post. It sucks trying to find one of my own posts in a thread that I either don't post much in, or that moves fast, leaving my last post 3+ pages behind in 24 hours.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gneiss

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Some more dumb questions.

Does this gfycat mp4 embed and play in the app for anyone? Is it supposed to?

I also just noticed that a saved post is thread specific. Maybe that's intentional.

Embed, yes. Play, no. It loads as a 0:00 so there's nothing to play.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

No but the link is busted in my browser too. Let's try this instead :

https://gfycat.com/BriefBlaringGeese-mobile.mp4

That's doing the same thing in the app.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Google just needs to get rid of Tablet Mode, because that poo poo's ugly, dumb, and useless on an actual tablet.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

On my ancient phone running Android. 6.0 text in posts won't load. Tried different fonts and themes, no luck. I can see thread titles and my own posts as I type them bht not any actual posts

Works fine on my phone running 6.0.1. So, the first question is, do you have an update for Webview?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's happening on both my phone and tablet.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Are any of you getting an error popup with a message? If so what does it say?

It's hard to diagnose this stuff without being able to see it happening, it could be the site falling over somehow...

Nope. No warning that it's gonna happen, no error message, nothing. I launch the app and get large :smugdog:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Yeah sorry, I got it out as soon as I could but it can take a day to show up on devices, and the Play Store says that because of corona "expect review times of seven days or longer" - I don't know how that affects updates, but that might delay it

if it doesn't show up, and you're comfortable installing it outside of the play store, I uploaded the new release APK here
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/releases/tag/v3.6.10

I dunno if that'll update the current one or install as a separate app alongside (might want to pick a different app icon in the settings if that's the case) but yeah, if it's gonna take 7 days for a fix to roll out then getting logged out every 30 mins is going to get old real fast!

if anyone got the update yet pls say so, I can't see the stats yet

No update on either device yet, but I haven't been logged out of my tablet since you posted about the cookie issue. My phone had already been logged out by then, but I only just logged back in on it before replying. I'll check with it in a half hour or so, and then report back.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Trip Report: Phone logged me out, but tablet is still logged in.

baka kaba posted:

The cookie is only set when you log in, so if you were already logged in before cloudflare started sending the poison one, it won't affect you

log out at your peril :spooky:

I don't think that's right. I never log out of the app, and I got logged out on both devices...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

So the login expires after 30 mins, but it won't matter until the app restarts and has to reinitialise everything. So if you're not using your tablet enough that the app gets kicked out of memory, it'll stay logged in. You're probably using your phone more doing a bunch of other things so that's more likely to log you out

And you might have been logged out recently because your session cookie actually did expire, it lasts a year (and it's the same one on all devices) and because of an earlier bug a lot of people had to log in again around the same time, so that might be why it's hitting a wave of people. The fix should do it, otherwise I don't know what the heck

I always end all apps when I'm done with them (tap the Square button to show apps, then either slide them away or hit the trashcan/close all button). It's a habit that formed when I had very limited RAM on my first Android phone so I pretty much had to do that to run an app.

I don't know enough about how Android works to know if that makes an app have to restart and reinitialize, though...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Bloop posted:

He posted about it again somewhat recently, post-spine anyway

I think he's nuts if he doesn't adopt an already Kick-rear end app rather than starting from scratch on something that I honestly can't imagine possibly being any better

He's gonna bring Radium back to make the official app.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

vyst posted:

-posted from my Fifty Shades of Grey fan fiction .epub storage device

But enough about your laptop

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nohearum posted:

This might not be the right place to ask this...but I've been spending entirely too much time reading threads on D&D lately and the Awful "embed tweets" option has made it much easier to follow the discussion. Is there any way to get this working on a desktop browser?

I'm pretty sure it's based on the browser your using...

For Firefox, while on the forums, click the little Shield Icon in the address bar, and then choose Disable Tracking Protection.

Unfortunatly, I don't remember what it is for Chrome, but I'm sure someone will be along with the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just checked, and I get the same issue with that image. I blame GYFcat. They're pretty lovely when it comes to linking stuff hosted there on other sites.