Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fred is on posted:

Of course, the show still has plenty of time to contrive reasons for Yuuki to put on a mask at some point.

A freak Gunpla accident sends a piece of runner plastic flying into his face, scarring him horribly for life! :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

"Do you have any for girls?" OK, that means that whatever the class president is going to fly is either going to be useless or loving terrifying. I'm hoping for a Qubeley. White and pink, of course.

Guess we're gonna see yet another version of a Strike Rouge then :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Dude, why restrict yourself?

Because you make the frame out of missiles, duh :rolleyes:.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Guys. Guys. Guys.

Ball Amazing.

Just the spherical Ball frame (no arms) with hardpoints on all five cardinal directions, aside from the front, and the directions in the box say "start attaching Boosters to these, stop when it starts collapsing under it's own awesomeness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

I could see a Rick Dom Amazing or Rick Dias Amazing. Or just Rick Amazing.

If they're going to be upgrades, then they need something bigger than Amazing. Kampfer Stupendous!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Good ideas are a dime a dozen, after all. It's easy to come up with a lot of "good ideas" but it takes time and effort to mold them into something good.

The bigger lesson is that when you're writing something explicitly designed to move merchandise, the higher-ups won't give enough of a drat about it to interfere so you can write what you actually want to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

That freezeframe previeuw image is straight out of Gurren Lagann:kamina: (or what GL took it from i guess)

ROW! ROW! FIGHT THE GENIUS!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So what exactly was Baker's "dastardly plan" of a time-out supposed to achieve? Hope Nils gets the Sengoku Astray fixed up better than the Sei does with the SBS?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe it was just give Nils a chance instead of being nibbled to death by Star Build's head vulcans? :v:

She's not very good at dastardly plans it seems, usually they seem to amount to "hope really hard Sei and Reiji lose".

I'm expecting the Miss Sazabi to be hers, and die inside of two minutes of the fight starting. Also, anyone else think the Qubely Papillion is just ugly as hell?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was a little disappointed Sei used Build Knuckle instead of Shining Finger.

"This hand of ours... IS BURNING BLUE!"

Ethiser posted:

The king is Reiji and Aila also doing a Love Love Sekiha Tenkyouken. Their king is Ramba Ral.

I'm still expecting Ramba Ral to turn out to be some kind of Super-Deluxe Secret Champion of the Universe that Sei and Reiji have to fight at the end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AradoBalanga posted:

So, meet the mystery silhouette that was teased earlier:

It's Crossbone Gundam.

StrifeHira posted:

Holy poo poo it has booster sabers. I can't wait for this to be out. :neckbeard:

Come onnnnn Crossbone Booster with Booster Sabers! :rolldice:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

It already has a Build Booster coming out.

Is there a link to that? Can't find it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just a thought from looking at that new design; anyone else think the limbs look a little X-Maoh-ish? Looking at the grooves in the backpack as solar panel stickers, here's hoping for pirate skull eyebeams of death whenever it turns up in the anime :yohoho::allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, holy poo poo Nils's hypnotherapy session.

I laughed way too hard at "He's already up to Episode 9!"

Also thought it was funny that PPSE had a 1/144 scale Ptolemaios just to store the Exia Dark Matter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackchamber posted:

Sadly this episode didn't sell me on the papillon. I'll probably pick it up later on but I still think its ugly and not that bad-rear end. Still lovin that Fenice though. I wish he had self destructed it. Then he could have told Kirara that poo poo isn't everything and he'd have more time to spend going after her (until he has to make another fenice for next year's tourney), and at the same time hamstringing team nemesis. That way he could be less of a goon choosing gun-pla over girl-pus.

I agree, he should've blown it to screw Team Nemesis in true Wing fashion. Though you seem to have forgotten the last time he tried picking up a girl - he sent a finely-crafted HG Victory Gundam to a girl sitting a few tables away at some cafe he was hanging out at.

BlitzBlast posted:

Only in Build Fighters could the reveal that the red MS will be piloted by the Char be a surprise. :allears:

I dunno, I still think the Chairman's going to use it, simply because it's pretty likely Miss Sazabi belongs to Blake and she's not exactly "grand final fight"-tier as a villain. The design screams "VILLAIN MECH" far too much, so unless Yuuki suddenly goes colony-dropping crazy I don't think he'll be the one using it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Episode 15 was all about how Fellini has had the Fenice for all of his life. Even thinking about blowing it up, a presumably irreparable action, is entirely out of character considering that, and he knows it. Basically if he had done it he'd spend the next few episodes moping about it, and that would just be terrible this close to the end.

Besides, HGAC Wing Zero is the March HG, so we might just see a comeback. :getin:

That is true, I guess. I kinda assumed he'd just rebuilt and improved upon the same design over the years rather than it being the one ever-modified Gundam. I also wish Bandai would start filling out the franchise Gundams with the HG All Gundam series rather than just protagonist Mobile Suits. Stop loving teasing me with Heavyarms Custom in Build Fighters, Bandai! :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

We go the Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal way. First season is based on Earth and is pretty lighthearted and fun, second season switches focus to other planets and everyone dies, Tomino-style. In fact, bring Tomino back to write Gundam Build Fighters II.

When your Gunpla dies, so do you :commissar:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

I, a man at the age of too-old-to-be-buying-plastic-toys-for-children, now kind of want to build them. What has this show done to me?

Dehumanize yourself and submit to plastic. :unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Daler Mehndi posted:

Episode 21 is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1vbr_vAmw

Preview spoiler: Is Meijin's opponent going to be that one guy whose name we heard, but never actually saw?

Wait, wait, wait. The blonde guy's name is Nine Barthes? Some parents are just cruel.

Also to join in on the fight taking a sharp left turn into hilarious; :magical:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

The Exia Dark Matter seems to be in standard Exia colors rather than the black and red, so maybe?

It'll probably do a Phase-Shift Armor thing when the Dark Matter Booster docks with it or something. Or be a fake-out for when the Chairman turns up with the Dark Matter version.

BlitzBlast posted:

Kind of wondering who's gonna end up with the Crossbone Kai now though. I'm predicting "everybody parties in Sei's room" will lead to a scene where everyone pitches in for the SBS's upgrade/final rebuild, but Strike > Crossbone X1 seems completely random. Unless Aqua Discharge literally spews plavsky water everywhere and then a pirate ship shows up.

I will laugh so hard if it turns out to be Ral's and has a secret monoeye mode. Or maybe it's the hidden weapon of the Gunpla mafia? The possibilities are endless.

EDIT: Wait a minute, now that I think about it the X1 was technically the upgrade to the F91... Maybe the preview is a flashback?

We saw the Exia last episode at PPSE, so it's definitely Yuuki at the controls. As for the Crossbone Kai, it's probably Mao's. The X-Maoh got blown the gently caress up, and it's got the same lineart designs on the shoulders and legs. Watch it turn from a generic "Crossbone Kai" to "Crossbone Maoh" so it isn't a spoiler from the moment it was revealed if it is indeed Mao's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The thought occurs about the Build Fighters HG kit line; Shouldn't they be labelled 1:1 scale? :pseudo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh wow, the thread got stickied.

So there's around five episodes left, and we've still got to fit in the Crossbone Kai, Miss Sazabi, Exia Dark Matter, Perfect Gundam, possibly an upgrade for the Build Strike (though the odds are looking lower by the episode), and cameos of the Wing Zero and Turn A. They can probably work in most of the BF stuff in the next episode (I totally expect to see the Perfect Gundam get trashed by Exia Dark Matter to establish it as a threat), but I'm curious how they'll work in the cameos. We're no longer at the point where we can just have random competitors use the HG of the month, so they're going to have get creative.

Though it'd mean the Turn A not getting a chance to shine, I'd love it if the show ends the exact same way it begins with Sei gushing over the HG Wing Zero to an overwhelmed customer. :allears: Sazaki, of course, is in the background.

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting that list of cameos Gundams from? And the Perfect Gundam seems pretty obvious - You don't think Sei's Dad is still using a basic RX-78-02 after all this time, do you?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wasn't, just didn't notice the pattern :doh:. For the others, if we assume Crossbone is Mao's just so he's doing something in the final few episodes, there'll probably some big showdown for the others to deal with while Reiji and Sei are facing off in the grand championship. Maybe one final job pulled by the Gunpla Mafia or something that they have to deal with while the/a big match is going. :shrug:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

I fully expect one of two scenario's:
- Sei+Reiji beat YuukiMeijin Kawaguchi the third, but the chairman pulls a dickmove and there is a final challenger (him) that they have to beat to get their prize. It's a super unfair match so everybody joins in on the action.

- During the final round the chairman seizes the match, claims the dark matter and makes Yuuki fight with it, he refuses and goes back to his zaku. The entire cast takes on the chairman. Sei+Reji are crowned honorary champion and we close the show on Reji departing, but before he does yuuki challenges him to a final 1on1.

These shows aren't hard to predict, doesn't mean GBF isn't awesome though. :v:

You gotta remember it's a marketing vehicle though, and the big final fight doesn't exactly let them go "look at this kit just now on store shelves! It's badass, buy it you little shits!". They'll just do something to pit the Crossbone and Sazabi against the Wing and Turn A, and call it a day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Well, this sure was a filler episode. Shades of Star Build Strike vs Gundam X Maoh here. I'm actually surprised that this show, with all of its painstaking attention and care taken to establishing characters, would pull such a rush-job introducing the new guy and trying to big him up into a threat worthy of Yuuki. It was a pretty okay fight though and I'm really glad to see an F91 get some spotlight since it's one of my favorite mobile suit designs ever.

Yeah, it really was. And the next one's going to be filler as well, by the looks of it. Is it just me, or is it starting to look like Ramba Ral's the Second Meijin? Also looks like I was wrong about the Crossbone, because there's the X-Maoh alive and well. Kinda.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

The only suits I recognize in this shot are the MP Qubeley and the Virgo.

The yellow one at the back is a Methuss

BlitzBlast posted:

At first I thought this was a Brave, but that can't be right since it's a movie suit.

Transformation's completely different too.

It's a bog-standard Union Flag.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pimpmust posted:

Gotta wonder what kind of player brings these weak-rear end MSV/Early War of whatever show Gunpla to the world championship.

Unless it's packing a hidden colony laser or something (because the rules are basically anything goes :v:)

I'm just surprised someone thought they had a chance of winning the race competition with a D-50C Loto. The thing's a literal tank!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bondster posted:

The only part of the episode I was disappointed in was How unceremoniously Sei met up with his dad. It was cute, but I was expecting something a little more grand that that.

I'm just surprised that truck driver didn't end up with another HG kit for his kids.

Also I laughed way, way too hard at the Fenice Rinascita blushing.

edit: Out of curiosity, what's the yellow mobile suit at around the 5:00 mark?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 17, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Man it really says something when you have an episode thats literally 80% slide show, 100% fan service filler, designed entirely to sell you new kits, and yet it has more heart in it than just about anything I've seen this season.

This show has blown away every expectation I've had :unsmith:

I think it's partly because the show's been completely open and honest about it the whole time. They've never tried to push gunpla as something like the be-all end-all Big Thing in-universe like some shows do (hell, they even mention that the Zeon bar is just a place that people hang out in after work for fun), and more importantly the only message they've tried to push is have fun and enjoy yourself.

I think I might get one too, though the skull looks more badass than on the actual kit. My only complaint is the way it's introduced is a little haphazard, because when the Imagine trashed the X-Maoh it wasn't even really all that badly destroyed. They could've dropped that fight and it'd have been stronger for him moping all this time over losing his gundam to Reiji and Sei

edit:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

gently caress that I need that Fenice Rinascita. It's so good but we heard literally nothing about it until this episode. It'll never get a HG. At least the Crossbones Kai has a confirmed kit.

I wouldn't count it out yet. The Crossbone's something they could, theoretically, hide in the lineup without it being immediately obvious as to the owner (along with the Miss Sazabi and Exia DM). The Fenice Rinascita on the other hand would be just way too big a spoiler because it's a rebuild of the same kit. Considering it's "just" another Wing Gundam reskin there'll probably be a kit for it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 17, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Long story short, a different channel has the broadcasting rights for 00S2, 00 AoT, and AGE so BF can't show any cameos from there.

Guess that explains why the big bad villain MS is an Exia rather than a big evil 00. Though Yuuki should've gotten a Sazabi variant rather than Aila, just for the progression from Zaku to Kampfer up to the Sazabi (a Zeon grunt Mobile Suit to a middle-tier MS to a top-end one)

edit: GundamGuy's added artwork images of the Fenice Rinashita, Crossbone Kai and Gyan Vulcan if you want a better look at any of them

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 17, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

We can but hope :allears:.

Seriously though, they can't have a full-sized RX-78-02 and Zaku and not make them fight. Just have one of those trucks full of plavsky particle tanks crash and explode between the two, spilling particles everywhere, and get some of those portable decks set up like the gunpla mafia guy had. Setting the gunpla on the GP base maaay be bit tricky though...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I am pretty sure the statues are not made of plastic.

Are you implying you don't want to see the 1/1 scale Gundam statues move and fight eachother just because they can? Because there's something wrong with you if you are :colbert:

Eej posted:

I love how they wink wink nudge nudge GO SEE THE GUNDAM STATUE IN ODAIBA (also the light show is actually really cool btw)

Some part of me wonders if they're actually considering building a 1/1 Zaku statue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn't S2 where the executive meddling usually starts kicking in, with S1 generally being free, easy, and original?

Only if they panic. Build Fighters hasn't been "un-Gundam" and the gunpla kit sales are gangbusters, so they'd probably be happy enough to leave it be. Hopefully.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

Well avoiding the standard Gundam plot entirely doesn't count, right? :v:

What I meant was they hadn't really tried to do anything extravagant or over-creative with the Gundam brand that might upset the higher-ups like Gundam 00 did. A well-written shonen series isn't likely to set off their alarms unless they go right off the reservation and start shooting people for losing or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

As I recall, China actually did solid builds assisted by powerful off-the-wall gimmicks. She's just not a particularly great fighter. Which is why I'm so delighted that she and Aila seem to be teaming up Sei/Reiji style - I hope the Miss Sazabi has some bizarre secret weapon like the Bearguy III's cotton.

Considering Aila's love of food, the Sazabi's chest gun probably sprays cotton candy at it's opponents :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

aers posted:

24 was everything I wanted and the preview for 25 justifies the fact that pretty much every good animator from the show has tweeted that they worked on it.

Is it next week yet.

It's a little closer, but not yet :sigh:. I'm still hoping the RX-78-02 and Zaku get sucked into the Plavsky Particle Field, or that it expands far enough to reach them :pray:.

Am I the only one that thinks it's a little dickish the particle field just cuts out at the end of a round and drops the Gunpla like stones? "Yay, you won! Aww, your Gundam broke in half when it dropped two feet onto the gameboard".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackchamber posted:

Also the DM Exia was pretty drat boss. I've been watching 00 and I didn't really dig the original (the gn drive sticking out of its back is ugly, I'm sorry), but the DM with its sharpened edges and menacing color scheme is getting put on my shopping list.

There's actually a reason it's exposed on the Exia like that: The entire design forsakes armor for speed and reflexes. Those purple strips on the legs and hanging between the shoulders and upper arms are unprotected data cables, and I guess the exposed GN drive lets it move faster or something.

Blackchamber posted:

Finally the next episode preview looks like its going to prove my theory about how awesome a second season would have been if it was fleet sized battles with fat squads of suits attacking large defended targets. Sei Squadron, just sayin...

This is just silly and awesome-sounding. Clearly the second season would involve them moving up to Master Grade kits.

edit:

Blackchamber posted:

Also, how does everyone know how well the kits are selling from this show? Some website? More importantly if this show is moving mountains of plastic... any chance they will be milking this and release other gunpla featured in the show? Who's got the inside track on this?

They are definitely selling gangbusters. HLJ's sold-out on most of the BF kits.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 24, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

What I want to know is how they took a model that looks as bad in theory is the DM Exia and made it look so beautiful on screen.

I will admit I'm kind of sad that I was wrong last week. I figured we were going to see glowing red part embody system rather than the Trans-Am that we actually saw out of it. Then again they did the Trans-Am well too, so who am I to complain?

The end of the fight certainly didn't quite go how I expected it. I was expecting the point of the last stage of the fight to be to let the DM Exia burn out it's three minutes of Trans-AM time and then break out the Build Knuckle to finish while it's weakened.

Kanos posted:

This was pretty much confirmed when Reiji met Mashita. Mashita's entire thing is that he's a petty insecure idiot with delusions of grandeur, which is totally in character for a petty thief who suddenly found a way to get rich and feel like he's untouchable for an extended period of time.

What amused me was it looks like Blair started out as a big Gunpla fan too. It's Gundam fandom all the way from top to bottom :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Aren't the anime and the actual figures color schemes different? Like in the anime it looks pretty good but the actual kit looks garish.

The kit is a particularly retina-searing shade of red, yes.

Here's one of the reviews for it off GundamGuy if you want a look

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monathin posted:

I don't think it normally cuts out like that, since the final collison of Trans-AM Dark Matter Exia + Star Build Strike RG Double Build Knuckle looks like it comepletely overloaded the system. The fact that they could move very briefly afterwards makes me think the impact disjointed the system to the point where it couldnt keep them animated.

....Which just makes that final moment even cooler. :allears:

Actually you see it happen a few times. Nils' demonstration against the G-Saviour, off the top of my head, and I'm pretty sure a couple of other places with the Build Strike.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh my god, The Chinan kick :allears:

aers posted:

BF is over, and that sucks.

[timg]http://mana.nori.jp/i/20140331093150228.png[timg]

What was the image link meant to be, out of curiosity?

• Locked thread