Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Pretty much marathoned season 1 while on a plane, so now I'm excited to be joining you guys each week for season 2! :dance:

Although I'm kinda concerned where the Island flashbacks will be going since they pretty much killed Fyres and friends, will it just be training montages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh man the opening with Lian Yu where they showed that sunken ship and then at the end of the flashback with the ship :aaa:

Also I'm hoping there isn't a love triangle with Slade/Shado/Ollie but I have to guess they have to start causing a rift between him and Deathstroke sometime soon to get to the point where we see his mask on the island ala the pilot and tonight's premiere.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I don't know much about the comics but I hope he still uses regular arrows on named bad guys that deserve it. I mean, yeah I understand why not murdering every single henchmen is a great idea but I'm not sure how I feel about sparing actual villains unless they plan to be reused properly and not just because filler.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I am absolutely curious how they will write themselves out of that cliffhanger, or just roll with it (obviously not).

Also really surprised that if they are going to set into motion Ollie vs. Slade so early on. They didn't even jump a year into the future on the island, just a few months after Fyres. The crazy WW2 science island plot is really cool but I'm more interested where they go with Ollie/Shado/Slade right now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Felicity has clearly been doing squats, and I like that a lot.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I am actually genuinely curious what happens to Sarah in the five years now though. I mean, she was washed out to sea, but Ollie doesn't see her until what, almost half a year or a year later when she's apparently going to torture him on the Amazo? And something happens with the ship because it's pretty clear it gets blown in half from the premiere. Where Sarah went from there (and to get to joining the LoA anyways) and what happened to Ollie and crew is pretty interesting now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Merlinicus posted:

Pretty nice line.

I was expecting a little more progress on island(boat?) backstory, but apparently all we got was catching up a bit with Sarah's old timeline. Still, assassin fight scenes were pretty solid.

And yeah, the little handhold thing at the end of the previous episode clearly wasn't an indication that she was going to tell her family. She only told her dad when there was basically no alternative.

Why did the League leave a knife in Laurel's room if they were planning on going after her dad? I'll admit the CGI when Ollie pulled it out of the wall was very nice (the faint dust cloud was perfect, albeit probably completely unrealistic), but it seemed kind of weird to go through the trouble of leaving a knife there and then leaving to go find dad.

Laurel still being useless and now addicted to prescription drugs. Does she have any redeeming qualities?
I feel like we won't see much of Sarah on the Amazo, or we will until they anchor back onto Lian Yu and then Ollie, Shado and Slade engineer some breakout, sink the ship and kill everyone, and she gets whisked away by the League somehow. Then I dunno, I feel like for Sarah they will just not show the four years in the LoA, since it seems this will be the only time she and Ollie will cross paths until present day.

I wonder where she's off to now, I can only assume she's leaving Starling City for a bit.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It's pretty clear in the last scene with her and Island Ollie that she pretty much joined the crew and had to become hard as gently caress to survive. Actually, now that I think about it I do want to see more of Sarah's flashbacks, would be nice to play them side by side with Oliver on the island in say S1 where it definitely plays differently than what I assume Sarah had to go through.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Love the cast decided to just do this for the heck of it. It's awesome. Very few times do shows get a cast that is awesome like that. Someone pointed it out from somewhere I can't remember though, but is Katie Cassidy one of the few cast members that just has never been in a candid photo with the rest of the cast or anything? I swear I have seen nearly every combination of Amell + some other cast member instagram filter selfie but not her.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Network execs? Maybe trying DC trying to unify their TV/movie characters together so they don't confuse people when they try to match Marvel. I doubt all the chatter that Superman 2 is going to turn into Justice League because people think they are going to put Amell and the new TV Flash into the movie so they don't have to recast someone. But it would be the easiest move.

Yeah SHIELD is kinda poopy but they have the movies to fall back on and everyone knows the goddamn Marvel movies.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Guessing Alderman/Brother Blood is still the big bad of the season though, since I assume what he's up to is somewhat related to the crazy Japanese super soldier serum back on the island.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well that was ...

One of those days I'm gonna use that line. And then get slapped.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Phylodox posted:

The joke is on all of you. Turns out Sara is Deathstroke, too. Also Nightwing. And Grundy. And Flash.

By the end of season 3 every character is Sara Lance.
I would definitely want to watch Tatiana Maslany suddenly play a bunch of DCU villains all at the same time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

bbf2 posted:

I thought for some reason she was bluffing and had somehow found out about Ra's Al Ghul but hadn't actually been in contact with him. Especially since the part about Ra's not being on board with the Undertaking seemed odd, the Undertaking sounds like exactly the type of thing the League of Assassins would do and be a-ok with. It's not too far off from what they did to Gotham in Batman Begins (e.g try to destroy the whole city.
Either way even if it was a bluff on Moira's part, she got it right because otherwise Malcolm would have the biggest Barrowman smile on his face if he was actually all buddy-buddy with R'as and he actually just snuck away after the Undertaking for a few brewskies with him or something rather than hiding because he knows for a fact the Undertaking was probably less than kosher for a League of Assassins kind of scheme.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Right from the outset Ollie made it clear Roy was only an informant and was absolutely not allowed to directly participate in what Ollie does. Roy threw a tantrum about it here and got spanked. That's really all there is to it. I mean, sorry, but what did Roy think would happen when he mouthed off to the ornery vigilante?
Yeah Ollie pretty much knew even for him it might be a losing proposition so he probably didn't want to put Roy (and by extension Thea) in that position so he decided to cripple him to take him out of the equation.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Wolvorine posted:

How in the hell is THAT not the thread title?
I thought it was, "He penetrates just fine."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

God I was so happy when I heard Manu's voice in present day, but then the loving eyepatch just sealed it :allears:

I love this goddamn show.
The loving white hair sideburns along with the eyepatch = holy fcuk

I loving jumped as soon as I heard his voice!

hi liter posted:

Only gripe: Shado got refrigerated. Her and her dad went out execution style, brutal.
I hate it when it gets defined like that, being put in the refrigerator, even if it is true. Just sadly like father like daughter :smith: Good thing Sarah had the sense to blame it on Ivo/not say Oliver "didn't" choose Shado. But from that scene I thought Oliver was offering himself to Ivo to save the two and he just shot Shado anyway? So I don't see the whole "I tried to save her Slade, but I couldn't" admission of guilt that causes Deathstroke to go apeshit and lead to their rift.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Shado does not certainly serve the story being permanently dead, she's a huge character in Oliver's life.
She 'causes' a falling out between him and Slade, that's not enough? He did know and spend almost every moment with her since they met, that's got to be plenty.

I'm sure Slade is just gonna go full on Terminator on Ivo and co., that much is guaranteed, and he will likely sink the Amazo even if some super-powered Mirakuru thugs get in the way. What I'm more interested in is "how" Sarah "dies" and joins the LoA, and when exactly does Ollie fight Slade -> arrow in his eye -> he is presumed dead (I killed "all of them", burned the last one but not counting Slade?), joins Russian Mafia, has a reason to leave to island by year 5 (didn't he say he found something from his father but not from the island?)

Also since Slade and Mirakuru are in play, I wonder if Sarah will come back (very likely). Hopefully she doesn't get killed off though, fighting off super-powered men.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The skip they had to start this season would have been a good start, but apparently he didn't get any training in in that time.
What exactly were they doing again after Fyres? Were they just wandering around in the forest and trying to survive before running into Ivo's men? I'm sure he got in some training then.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Shakugan posted:

Another island issue is that at some point he's going to have to decide to be obsessed with the list, a plotline we've already seen resolved. I'm not sure they're going to want to spend time on something already resolved; I certainly don't want to watch it.
It'll probably pop up near the end of the fifth year flashback. Because if he did get off the island easily once or twice earlier it stands to reason he would somehow manufacture his rescue as well. Or at least that's what I'd like to think. IIRC the List on the island wasn't that big of a deal since Ollie kept getting into shenanigans the entire time up until possibly the end when he finds out the purpose of the list.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Eddain posted:

I can't wait for her descent into vertigo addiction.
But the Count is no longer around to approve her high :smith:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Warmachine posted:

It is the best nickname. Sin's pretty great. The whole B-team is pretty great. :3:
The best part is they didn't bother doing the Thea getting jealous because Sin is a girl and :qq: you have to pick one of us to love, only one! :qq: and decided Thea would just be okay with it and then they all had loving adventures together instead.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I swear I haven't seen this picture in here yet.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

Didn't you used to be another actress?
:glomp:
Stop asking so many questions.
You can explain it away with magic. They did that in Big Bad Beetleborgs.

Or you know, plastic surgery. Or just never ever bring it up just because (since they already did with Sarah being recast).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dead Snoopy posted:

:thumbsup: Moira Queen...future mayor. :thumbsup:

"Oh, I'm running for public office to help save this city from the mess I helped create. I want people to remember me for good things... right after I have my OBGYN KILLED!!!" :unsmigghh:

:thumbsup: Vote Queen. :thumbsup:

(paid for the committee to elect Moira Queen - building Earthquake Machines since 2012.) :smug:

Yeah that was a little odd but might just be a misdirection since it seemed so much like the pilot where she was trying to "kidnap" her son after he came back from the island. But yeah it seemed really sinister considering. I'm not gonna write off that plotline right away since I'm sure they can go places with it. Even though pretty much all the episodes prior to this were super laser focused on Team Arrow's shenanigans for the most part I like that they're pulling back a bit to show us more.

Also Sarah is back :allears: I don't care if Laurel is supposed to become Black Canary as long as Sarah isn't fridged and she occasionally shows up as Canary and just upstages her sister when a fight breaks out :allears:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Was about to post that. Caity Lotz is awesome.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Also, all the cast keeps being loving awesome

This is why we actually "hate" Katie Cassidy right? Because I have never seen her do any candid stuff with the rest of the cast.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

When was the last thing that he was in that had any viewers on it, Chuck? I thought he looked pretty good in that for a 50 year old.

edit: I completely forgot he was in Arrow, hah.
Jeez, Browder is 50 now? Farscape was aaaaaages ago now it feels like.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It debuted in 1999. God drat we're all old.
Don't forget LOST turns 10 this year.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Yes but Lost is terrible and Farscape is the greatest show to ever grace our screens.
Well, LOST didn't always hit it's mark or stick to the landing for a lot of people but I would argue that it was seminal in some ways. But either way it's getting off-topic, and that line of discussion belongs in the Couch Chat thread.

So yeah, Arrow tonight, I'm excited for more Caity Lotz. After watching those videos of her doing parkour it makes me want to learn it too :allears:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

What's going to be super awkward about the next episode is everyone asking why Oliver didn't come back with super acrobatic combat skills or why Sarah didn't just wash up on the island so they didn't have to invite a bunch of assassins into Starling City.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Maybe unrelated but I'll be dissapointed if Slade doesn't pull anything like this on the show:

:allears:
code:
INT. SLADE'S OFFICE - NIGHT

CUT TO SLADE WILSON who is playing World of Warcraft. He is in the Dragon Soul raid.

SLADE
	You drat fools! Target the Elementium bolts or 
	we will all wipe!

We watch as SLADE gets angrier. We can see his guild has been spending too long on this encounter,
and Slade grows tired that they have not put this boss on farm. They wipe again. SLADE slams his
desk in frustration.

SLADE
	Your incompetence has cost me four hours of my
	night! Do not fail me again, or I will destroy
	everything you love.

RAID LEADER
		(from over the headset)
	Shut up dude, do you want me to embarrass you
	by posting the DPS meters in raid chat?

sorry he totally looks like deathwing from wow so sue me

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

teagone posted:

Awesome episode. Ollie and Slade sizing each other up with that epic loving hand shake, complete with the "SMACK" sound effect was amazing. Reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew
It was much closer to the Spartacus forearm shake, which I think makes the Predator handshake look like Baby's First Broshake.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

JayMax posted:

Ivo shooting anyone didn't even make sense at that point. It's kinda dumb that they made it this central plot point.
I think they're probably going for Slade punishing Ollie for not being straight with him. He knows Ivo probably offed Shado just because and he's trying to play mindgames between them. He's a little hosed up and probably does realize it but IMO he's mostly punishing Ollie now by making him suffer.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Had to google to find out the actress playing Lyla was Kim Brown from The Unit. So after all that time playing the wife of a badass spec ops soldier she gets to be one now!

Oh and she was Lilly from The Walking Dead which was probably why she seemed so familiar all of a sudden. Still looking good.

The Lord Bude posted:

So that scene between Oliver and Waller at the end: Is there some history between them from an earlier episode that I've forgotten or are they implying something that hasn't been shown yet? Because I don't remember Oliver wanting to kill Waller. (Although it could be future Island stuff, I'm convinced Waller was the one giving Fyers his orders.)
Yeah I think they kinda implied Fyers and Waller were in cahoots somehow though I think it was off-screen or just her heels. But I'm sure it would make sense in that context.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I find it utterly hilarious everyone at ARGUS probably knows who The Arrow is but don't say poo poo about it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

seravid posted:

They're telegraphing Sara's death so hard even Voyager 1 can pick it up.
I hate this and it is dumb and stupid but I know it's probably going to happen and I can't stop it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It was a fun episode, though they should've at least flipped the van or something after the missile missed them by just a hair, even if they only got a few bumps and bruises. The explosion looked more like some Chinese fireworks went off.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

seravid posted:

Has the dialogue always been this awful? This episode was just terrible line after terrible line.

Special mention to SWAT guy yelling "YOU ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW!" while trying to murder six people.
Well, he didn't say "we're not above the law", he just wanted to remind the rest of the SWAT team they weren't allowed to go off the reservation until they get promoted to his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Obeast posted:

I don't think he'll go as far as telling her he's The Arrow, but I'm sure he'll confirm that he and Slade were on the island, what happened to Shado, and that Slade still blames Ollie about said incident.
I dunno, she knows he knew about Roy being out and about this episode, his mom was covering for him ... if Slade didn't show up I'm sure Ollie would've said it anyway, since it seemed like they were both going for 'confess a secret to Thea' moment in the car, to try to win her back (two truthbombs like Merlyn being alive and her brother being the Arrow would've probably done it IMO).

But instead Thea watches her mother die as Slade monologues in front of her about how Ollie hosed him over back on the island. No way she can't put the pieces together.

• Locked thread