Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Andy Greenwald over at Grantland really got at the heart of Agents of SHIELD's problem - "What's worse, an exploration of the Marvel U's most fascinating corners — like Wakanda, say, or the Savage Land — is also unlikely. Why burn something on a random Tuesday night in October when there's a chance of blowing people's minds with it on a summer weekend in 2019"

Yeah, I watch both shows, and that's the problem that I have with SHIELD - SHIELD only seems to occasionally remind us in a roundabout way that it's connected to the Marvel Universe, whereas Arrow directly references and uses big concepts in DC's house. SHIELD is ok, but it's starting to bore me a bit; they really need to get a hold of some of the more minor villians/heroes that are unlikely to get a movie of there own and use them, instead of just sometimes mentioning "oh hey, remember that time we saw that Norse lightning god guy?"

Arrow is a really good show. I like how Oliver has had actual character develoment as he traveled from brutal vigilante to aspiring hero, and the show's willingness to use other characters and concepts from the DC universe is what really brings it alive. Also, I think the "five years on the island" background plot is one of my favorite things about the show, and I'm intersted in seeing how far they take that. The continuing background tale really fleshes out Oliver's story more than a ten minute episode-one origin would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Shakugan posted:

I don't know how they are ever going to convincingly do Oliver's training. As long as they are doing flashbacks, they are going to want "stuff" to be happening in those flashbacks, and I don't think "and then I spent 3 years doing nothing but practicing archery and Russian" is going to cut it. So the only real way for it to happen is a huge timeskip in the flashbacks.

Personally, I really think the show could do without the flashbacks anyway.

I actually like the flashbacks, I think it's fun trying to imagine how the hell Ollie leaves the island, goes back to the island, and becomes a Russian gangster along the way. To me it's way better than doing his origin in the first segment of the first episode and forgetting about it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Two episodes into the second season and man, you guys weren't kidding about Laurel becoming increasingly unwelcome. Seriously Ollie, just sever already.

Yeah, I didn't mind her so much during the first season aside from the stupid law stuff (as in, lawyers don't really work like that), but she became a really annoying character at the start of season two. "I hate you, for reasons. Whatever."

She just seems like a weaker and weaker character as the show progresses, which is the opposite of everybody else.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Krad posted:

Could we also get Whedon to guest direct while we're at it and betray Marvel in the process? You know he'd do it, too. :shobon:

Why though? I'd rather not risk any SHIELD-ness infecting Arrow, and I say this as someone who generally likes Whedon.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

jammu posted:

The archives scenes went from surprisingly awesome (actually competent guards)
for plain silly. (Someone sneaking inside old archives -> Send in the swat team shooting to kill)

I found it hard to believe the idea that a fully armed SWAT team arrived at the archives a few minutes after they were called. TV drama - along the lines of murder cases being solved in a day I suppose.

Laurel wasn't bad this episode. I've never hated her as much as some people, but it's nice that she's starting to do stuff and have an actual story.

Deathstroke looks awesome. I'm taking it that Blood actually cares about his minions (in a very twisted way), so Slade chopping them up was supposed to mean something, but the show never actually claims this outright. In any case, it was definitely a "look at our awesome Deathstroke" scene. He's going to be a scary villain for Ollie to face.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Normally I would not be sure how the hell a person partly responsible for earthquaking half the city could ever win the title of mayor, but I'm convinced that Moira will win despite the odds. Why? Because when Blood is revealed as a villain and eliminated from the running, Moira will win by default.

I'm a bit curious on how the campaign is going to work with Walter though. Moira is already implying that something needs to be done about her OBYGN, but isn't Walter a generally good guy? So I wonder how they will deal with that situation in a way that is both effective and satisfying to good-guy Walter.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Is there a reason that Arrow couldn't just directly reference Batman? I doubt he'd every show up on the show, since it would overshadow Ollie, but is there a reason that Batman and Gotham City couldn't directly be mentioned? Is there a situation like with the Marvel properties that certain characters are owned by different companies and thus segregated, or are we just assuming that they wouldn't use Batman?

Really curious, because the show already has a lot of other characters tied with the Bats.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

MildShow posted:

They also explain why Roy wasn't in the episode.

This show is so great, they can't contain their own awesomeness! They literally have too much good stuff to air. :swoon:

I think Laurel is justified in her anger, she's getting better each episode though they still need to work on her character a bit.

Nyssa was awesome, I was sold on her at the airport scene. However, Lance decking her was the best thing.

I'm really interested to see the fallout for Felicity letting slip Moira's secret. It's nice to be reminded that Moira can be rather cutthroat herself - I think she makes an interesting villain in that she is not the 'twirling mustache' type. She has some shades of grey thrown in, you can at least understand (if not agree with) some of her motivations. I also think her conflict with Blood in the mayoral race will turn out to be interesting.

Also, guy taking the Sara/Nyssa thing as a condemnation of homosexual relationships: I think you are reading too much into it. You might have a point if they do this every time, but there is not really enough of a sample size to make such an analysis.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Dexo posted:

her mom to get a divorce and dedicate her life to finding Sarah.

I wonder if that will cause new tension between mom and dad.

"All those years you thought I was crazy, but see, I was right! I never gave up on our daughter!" :argh:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Drifter posted:

I'd not heard this whole Clark drama, what is this about?

Clark thinks that if you have any problems with SHIELD, you're a loser basically.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

"Well, if Clark says that we are losers, he's probably right guys. The show will get better, we just have to have faith. In fact, it probably already is better, but we are too much of a loser to realize it yet!" :v:

Seriously, I watch the show. It's usually barely passable, though the last episode wasn't that bad. But holy hell guys, having your show's star call people with valid criticisms losers is horrible PR, maybe they should make sure Clark doesn't speak about the fanbase in such a way in the future. This should be pretty basic public-relations kind of stuff.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

Yeah, a morally ambiguous maternal figure who will probably end up in a seat of power who also isn't on anybody's side except the one that defends her family is worthless. Can't think of any way that could be interesting later on.

Yeah, I actually like Moira because she isn't so cut and dry. She is absolutely a villain, but she's also a person - it's easy to understand her reasoning on a lot of her decisions even if you don't absolutely agree with them. It's nice to have a superhero show where everybody isn't a cackling supervillian, it helps to draw a contrast between those who are and aren't and gives variety.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Bruce Wayne isn't a vigilante, he's an rich adrenaline junkie that invented a new extreme sport. He's not out to save people, he's just trying to win the game, and if his opponents die he can't play with them anymore.

That sounds like an interesting premise to literally base a character on.

Also, I liked how Arrow handled Ollie's early career as well. I remember being a bit uncomfortable with the character during the first season, especially when he killed random security guards who could have possibly been "just doing their job" and not knowing the full extent of their boss's actions. Ollie changed in the second season, becoming more "heroic," and this is what I like about the show: it's characters grow and change with time. Static is boring, and actually addressing moral issues about being a vigilante are interesting.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Nothing of note is revealed but is always a blast to see how pumped for the show Amell is :allears:

I like Amell's enthusiasm. It never comes off as a fake "well, let me say this pre-approved line from the PR guys" kind of thing, instead he sounds genuinely happy about his show. It's like he sat down one day and thought to himself, "Holy poo poo! I get paid to dress up as a superhero on TV and fight pretend-bad guys! My life is pretty awesome!" He seems like a chill dude to hang out with.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Holy poo poo, this show ended with a nice :smuggo:

I can't wait for next week.

With regards to the Ollie being a hypocrite thing, I think that's kind of the point. It's a character flaw of his, and I like that he has flaws.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Eh, I have the feeling that Arrow's identity will be a surprise to Detective Lance so they can do a dorky surprise-suspenseful-CW-reveal, but I would love, LOVE it if when Ollie reveals his identity to the detective Lance goes, "What? You think just because you wear a dorky green mask and a hoodie I can't figure out who you are? Pshh!"

That would just make my day.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I'm sure we will see the Clock King again, Arrow is pretty good about not killing off villains and actually reusing them - in other words, being a good comic-book show.

Clock King might have had his reasons, but he just didn't come off as that sympathetic to me. It makes me think of Batman the Animated Series Mr. Freeze, who had a kind of sad and melancholy aura about him that his voice actor portrayed...in Arrow, Clock King had none of that. He was just an overbearingly smug jerk who didn't care that his men killed the guards so much, just that they didn't follow orders. He almost killed Sara/Felicity, so I imagine Ollie wasn't really thinking too much about helping out the jerk who almost offed his friends.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

She could play a live action Harley. She has the right look, although she's a little older than most shows would cast (she's 41.)

Tara Strong has the voice obviously, and she even looks like Harley...but Harley is often presented as being rather acrobatic, is Tara Strong that physical?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Do you really not understand why Oliver wouldn't tell Thea the truth? He was trying to protect her. So was his mom, but it's totally justified for him to be mad at his mom about it, even when he's perpetuating the lie, becuse she started the lie, and oh yeah, it was all because she cheated on her husband with the man she was plotting to destroy the city with.

Also, Oliver is a flaming hypocrite, that's his main character flaw that actually makes him interesting. He means well, and he likes to give other people the "do the right thing" advice, but he personally has a hard time living up to his own ideals.

And that's ok, it makes him a good character, more complicated, and frankly more realistic, since people really are often like that.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Deathstroke continues to be the best villain and such a diiiiick. I still like the way that short of killing anyone, he continues to just gently caress with Ollie. Just proving that nowhere is safe and he could defeat the team so easily. (And that was just on the way to picking up the silly key thing.)

Yeah, the fight at the base showed that Deathstroke could literally kill them whenever he wanted. Instead, his plan seems to be to troll the poo poo out of Ollie; I'm starting to wonder how long he plans on dragging this out...what if he doesn't actually want to kill Ollie, but just consistently ruin him...forever...

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

mr.capps posted:

I think when he told Blood that Ollie was his best friend he really meant it and just wants to lightly jam an arrow through his eye and slowly ruin his life but other than that he is still cool with him.

Slade, after driving an arrow into Ollie's eye: "...now do you understand? Good. Now leg's go get a beer and pick up some chicks."

Floppychop posted:

Isabel pops up, tries to shoot Ollie. Diggle comes out of nowhere and shoots her (appears to be fatal).

I cheered a bit when Diggle did that. Seriously, Roy is nice and all, by why doesn't Ollie train Diggle to be his wingman? I think he would be down with it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I legitimately think that it was a mistake for the show to kill off Moira, because she was an actual interesting villain that was more complex than the typical "grr I'm bad and I'm going to rob and kill you" bad guys that these kinds of shows typically use. While clearly a bad person, oftentimes it was easy to see how and why she came to make the choices that she had, and her willingness to do anything for her family gave the character an interesting dynamic. I feel like there were so many unexplored paths that they could have taken with Moira, so her sudden death in the show came too soon.

What's up with Sara going "peace out" though? It seems like it couldn't have been at a worse possible time. "Hey Ollie, I know there is this unstoppable killing machine gunning for your family, and you are trying to deal with drugged-out Roy, Thea being mad at you for the whole lying thing, and a broken leg, but I gotta jet. Things to do you know? It's not you, it's me though. Later!"

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

VagueRant posted:

The end of the PILOT is literally the reveal that she hired the kind of cut throat mercenaries that kill witnesses (a fact she seemed unfazed by) to kidnap and interrogate her own son.

Never mind the time she shot Arrow, her involvement in the shipwreck, what she did to her second husband, her constant lying and the fact this super corporate rich lady decided she was a better candidate for Mayor than the guy who actually had a record WITH and expressed an interest IN helping the downtrodden she had a hand in nearly massacring? (Admittedly, he turned out to be a psychotic murdering supervillain, working for a worse one, BUT STILL!)

This. But oh hey, most of the things she was involved in lead to the death of poor people, so who cares, right?

She doesn't wear a mask and has a silly moniker, but Moira is still a villain - still a bad person. Just because you can sympathize with her, doesn't make the things that she has done alright. The slippery slope thing is a bit silly, she could just say, "no," or involve the police in what was going on with Merlyn. Instead, she went along with it for selfish reasons. Some of it was to protect her family, but some of it was also because she didn't want to get herself in trouble, aside from her immediate family she isn't very noble at all.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I think the show is good enough on it's own, it can be a bit soapy but it hasn't devolved into Vampire Diaries levels of CW-ness yet.

It does hurt that they killed off Moira though, who was one of the stronger actors on the show.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Arrow now, more often then not. Actually, I don't know if anybody still calls him the Hood.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I'm waiting for Merlyn to say, "See, this is what happens when you let the poors run the city." :smuggo:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm just going to assume people saying "Thea is such a bitch!" are troll posting. Everyone in the Queen family has moments of awfulness, but Oliver has long done way, way shittier things.

He left her alone for several days to deal with burying their mother. I was completely expecting some badass reveal that Oliver was off training or gathering a team to take down Slade - but nope, he's just been emotionally crippled and has literally given up the fight.

This whole season has been about how Oliver's lies have been ruining the lives of everybody around him. I'm not surprised at all that Thea is mad at him for not mentioning that the man they were happily showing around the house - Slade Wilson - is a murderous psychopath. It's pretty easy to go down the whole "maybe if you said something Mom would still be alive" route.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Drifter posted:

To be fair though, all these spoilers abounding are kinda like having someone spoil a basketball game by telling you both teams are going try and shoot baskets.

I mean, really. It's the goddamn Green Arrow. I can say there's going to be an alien in the show next season and I poo poo you not there probably will be because that's just what the writers do. :black101:

Arrow is one of those shows where I don't get bothered by reading spoilers. Even when I already know about something coming up in an episode, it's still goddamn awesome.

And not that I want to spend five hundred pages talking about Glau's forehead, but I do think that her costume missed the mark, especially when compared to Nyssa's. Though I guess she won't be around much longer anyways?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Pretty sure she shot the Mirakuru guy getting back to his feet or something.

Of course, but you have to admit it would be kind of funny if she just straight up capped Merlyn.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Lance proves himself to the cops, leading to the entire SCPD taking orders from Oliver.

I was really gad to see Quentin "I was right about every goddamn thing I've ever said" Lance get his detective's badge back.

So I wonder if next season the cops are going to be more open about working with Arrow, or if we are going to get a new Police Chief who hates him for reasons. Probably the latter.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Hixalot posted:

I thought I was the only one that noticed this since no-one else mentioned it. I actually almost expected her to turn on Slade upon realizing that he was doing this for some other woman. Seems to tie into Isobel's character.

What's weird is that I thought Isobel just wanted to take over the Queen fortune to get back at Ollie's dad for dumping her, and after gaining the company she would just become rich by running it like an evil executive type. Instead, now she's a super-villain and ok with completely destroying the city with Slade? That doesn't really make much sense because the chaos of the attacks should financially cripple the company that she owns, let alone the fact that she can't run it if she's a psycho supervillian wanted by everybody.

I agree, the whole Glau thing has been pretty week. It seems like shows like to use her because it's Summer Glau, but it's been a while since I've seen anything interesting done with her.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

She looks scared, but also kinda smug.

"Yes, Slade thinks that I'm the person that Ollie cares about the most, there's still a chance that I can make my dreams a reality!"

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

He can be Barry's cousin Wally in Flash!

I actually thought about that...well not that, specifically, but just that he can play some character on Arrow/Flash now.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I still wonder why Blood betrayed Slade and then hung around, like nothing would come of it. You would think he would run and hide or something. I'm a little disappointed with his death since he could have been a usuable villain next season otherwise.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Yeah, I expect Constantine, and especially Preacher, to be a letdown in terms of what they do with it on TV.

...though if Preacher even has half of its content portrayed on TV, it will be fun to listen to the angry fundamentalist scream.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

greatn posted:

My prediction:

Slade grabs Felicity.

Slade: now to kill the one person you love most
Ollie: Slade! No! I slept with Shado to feel closer to you! I chose her to die because she was the only thing in our way! You can't kill the person I love the most because its you Slade! It was always you!
Slade: We'll see about that.
(Slade stabs himself through brain and collapses)
Felicity: I can't believe that worked.
Ollie: ... yeah... that was... a trick.
(A single tear rolls down his cheek)

Slade: CCChhhhoooooooossseeeee!!!!! :byodood:
Ollie: I chose you. It was always you. :swoon:

Honestly I'm not sure who is the last person that Slade can kill that "Ollie loves the most," aside from Thea. Of course, what crazy Slade thinks is probably different from what Ollie thinks anyways.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Slade's wiretaps pay off.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I hope we get some more light hearted Ollie next season, especially with Flash crossovers.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Thinking about the Thea/Roy/Merlyn thing...basically the theme of this season was how Ollie's lies costed him, so it's kind of funny how he passed on his sins to his metaphorical superhero child. If Roy would have just came clean, would Thea have accepted that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Laurel gets black jacket -> Dad dies -> Black Canary?

I hope not. :ohdear:

• Locked thread