Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sundowner posted:

His "descriptions" are "astounding"...

Looks like someone doesn't understand how search tags work.

baldurk posted:

I have honest to god received emails that only make sense if the person thinks I wrote every single LP on the archive.

If you still have one of them lying around, this would be a great place to show it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The only LPs I've ever seen where it's ok is when the LPer struggles through absolutely awful, misspelled text on purpose like when Lowtax and Shmorky do it.

But then, they are actually funny people.

And also most of the text popups are so small on the video that you couldn't read them if you wanted to.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

SpiritualDeath posted:

IIRC, he made an LP of Ecco the Dolphin where he pretended he was the dolphin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZW-WOzY6Lk

I thought that was a one-off done as a joke.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Celebrity endorsements are far from a new thing, and with new media comes new celebrities, like it or not. The fact that they're engaged in the product is merely an added plus.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I don't know if the thread's brought him up before because I don't really care, but who the hell is Smosh and how come his videos keep showing up as "Featured" on my recommended list in Youtube?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

What's Khad been up to these days? Last I remember his Thief LP's got gas chambered and he moved on to releasing videos on his own website. Did he ever end up jumping onto the monitizing trend?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

theCalamity posted:

Their DX:HR one was kind of frustrating. He wanted to explore Sarif Industries despite numerous warnings that something bad would happen. When it does happen, he says that the game didn't tell them. Then he kept killing cops for no reason.

How do you get something bad to happen from exploring Sarif Industries? I hacked all the keypads in plain view of everyone and all that happened was a few emails worrying about a thief.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Ah, that. Yeah, that one's fair, especially with how often they tell you in-game to get your rear end moving.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Boxturret posted:

I've never played Street Fighter 4 but the way DSP talks when he plays it it sounds like you just hold back(?) and are completely invincible? That's doesn't sound right to me.

Seems more like he thinks he should be invincible when he presses back and he blames the game when he does so and it turns out he isn't.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

When he says 8 hour DSP montage, I think this is the one, assuming there aren't multiple such things.

I've been watching this video off and on for the past few days and I just wanted to check in and say how amazed I am at the lengths DSP went to to avoid learning how to crouch-jump in a Half Life 1 Source mod remake. The relevant footage starts at 4:14:39.

However, I'm kind of annoyed at the comments that blame Call of Duty and modern Nintendo games for making video games so simple that "real thinking games" like Legend of Zelda for the Wii would throw him for a loop. I think it's pretty obvious from the footage that no amount of hand-holding or forced tutorials is enough to teach DSP how to play.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TheMcD posted:

There are a lot of reasons to rag on the guy, but I wouldn't pick this one.

If he'd called it "Painfully annoying V-log guest-starring fire alarm DO NOT WATCH" then I'd give him credit for this one. But he didn't.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

unfair posted:

Limited currency doesn't work that way - you'd have to ruin peoples faith in it, otherwise it will just stabilize and go back up once you've hit it with the inflation. It might not go as high immediately, assuming fixed demand, but you couldn't keep the price artificially depressed with a limited number of coins.

Keep in mind I don't own any bitcoin or care about it.

And either way, LP doesn't seem like the right place to discuss it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

What exactly makes something a self-promotional thread? I mean, basically every LP thread is self-promotional to an extent. Are we talking like a low-content "come check out my Youtube channel in case I eventually do something!" post or what you'd call a Youtube dump around here?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PAMaster posted:

...poo poo, this got long. Sorry.

It helped, though. I don't go to Reddit and so I didn't know its voting system made SA-style LP threads impossible.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The only reason you need your face on the screen is if you are trying to connect with your audience despite the game and not through it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

A friend of mine introduced me to the LP Archive back in '08 and the idea of combining my two favorite pasttimes (creative writing and video games) amazed me. It eventually led me to follow active LP's on Something Awful and I've been contributing myself since the day I registered.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

At the very least Youtube needs to figure out how to tailor ads to the host video's length. I'd rather not watch or support an ad that's 25% as long as the thing I came to watch, let alone something possibly several times longer.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Somehow, somewhere, that is the calling card for a superhero based on youtube videos...

I was thinking more of a way to communicate with the starship Youtubprise.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

Since we're on the topic, what is everyone's catchphrase here? Mine's "gosh golly gee, I'm so wacky!" and I only do it when I do "stupid" and "random" things in my video.

But seriously, I laughed at this one:

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not that means they use catchphrases in their everyday conversations.

I think it means "I want to be part of this discussion even though I have nothing to add."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

slowbeef posted:

I don't mind this. Dead to rights.

No, really, some people do have a thing, but I don't think it's a catchphrase (or an offensive one) until it becomes a crutch for "I can't think of something to say, but here's a funny thing I had said previously." Simply Simon ends every video with "Thank you very much for your attention" and Psychedelic Eyeball starts with "Hello everybody, this is Psychedelic Eyeball." You could theoretically call these catchphrases, but I don't think they're what we're talking about with annoying catchphrases.

I don't think sign-ons and sign-offs count as catchphrases considering that everybody uses them. Saying "Hello" and "Goodbye" to your friends is just about the same thing, after all. Using the same intro and exit is simply a matter of habit and it's only when someone intentionally tries to be unusual that it becomes a catchphrase (and usually an annoying catchphrase for the same reason).

So by that criteria, Joel Hodgeson saying "Welcome to the Satellite of Love" is not a catchphrase, but Trace Beaulieu's "Push the button, Frank" is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BMS posted:

I did very good here. My stent in LP has taught me one thing, if you see an odd word that relates to something generally spawned on the internet, DO NOT GOOGLE IT.

Hetalia shall forever remain a mystery to me. Unlike furries, bronies, and other sorts of internet oddities such as creepy Sonic/whatever fanfiction...all brought to my attention by the wonderful world of LP.

From what I understand it's basically just what you've seen here in the thread but more comprehensive.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TheMcD posted:

PewDiePie 2: Pie Harder?

I can't even begin to fathom what I should even think of when I hear "PewDiePie 2". Is it an updated version? A sequel?

"I want my channel to balloon up by taking advantage of PewDiePie's most oblivious subscribers. PewDiePie being the person who I am not."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

This is a thing? People are talking about DSP's couch?

What is special about this couch?

According to the comments, he set up his sectional couch in the middle of the room instead of along a wall so that it's in the way regardless of which direction he enters or what he wants to do.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Why would it be different if they were journalists? Video game journalism is journalism for a silly hobby and thus being unbiased doesn't really matter.

The problem with games journalism (and a lot of hobby journalism for that matter) is that the journalists are funded by ads for the things they're reviewing. Book and film reviewers working for the New York Times and other generalized outlets can afford to be unbiased because they're funded by a lot of different industry ads and subscriptions.

If we want unbiased game reviews, we'd need something along the lines of Consumer Reports which refuses to take any money from companies. As it is, most game review sites have become little more than advertising companies who review a few indie games for legitimacy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The thing about internet shitstorms is that it's basically a thousand people taking a minute to call someone a bad name. Hell, it gets so repetitive because nobody bothers to read anyone else's comments.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Pretty loving dumb obviously, since he operates under the assumption that everything should be monetized, as long as it's used for "good stuff." Also HA, he links the hot Asian girl video right after he says "Stuff you really believe in."

I certainly believe in boobies.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I think the best ice bucket challenge is Patrick Stewart's.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

With all the guesting that goes around here, I've sometimes thought of developing a "Seven Degrees of Slowbeef" to see how close we are to the real stars of LP.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

SirShakes posted:

I just don't understand the appeal of playing a character while doing a Let's Play, especially one that is shrieking and yelling all the time. Do anymore of these things exist outside of Team Four Star? I hope it doesn't become a trend.

It seems like a character based Let's Play would be better if you had a persona who fit with the game more, and actually made jokes.

Considering that PewDiePie is essentially a character when he's LP'ing rather than a real person, I would say that yes, playing a screaming character does exist beyond Team Four Star.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

A Blasting Zone Mk. II would probably be successful if it operated as a more general LP chat area. The first ended with dozens of probations and a lot of bickering, before ultimately being gassed--probably because it was structured with the goal of discussing what worked best for LP and nobody could agree on what that meant. It was hilarious, don't get me wrong, but ultimately we're all trying to have fun with LP, right? A new Blasting Zone thread should be about that. (And yeah, I know some brave souls use LP to seek fame and fortune).

Put up or shut up.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

So is that "Look-at-me money" or "Look at me, money?" Is Slowbeef spending money to get attention or is he asking money to become a subscriber? Or does he just have an insulting Irish accent now?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dias posted:

You're not. You're not the target audience.

For a long time there have been great and powerful industries built to exploit people with more money than sense. Now internet video creators are beginning to tap into an old but previously underrepresented market: those who have more time than sense.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jamesman posted:

"Content creator" isn't pretentiousness or professionalism. It's just stating things plainly that a person creates content. Some people may use it to sound like they're ultra-cool-sophisticated dudes, or you may read the term and consider it to be super-lame-douche, but generally it's not that at all and people should maybe chill out.

Words are weird and people are weird for using them.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

So, how will Youtube LPers react to this? How can you Let's Play A MOVIE!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbteoIpdXBo

The guys at RiffTrax do it all the time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cheez posted:

You missed the point entirely. If everything that pays is a job, then so is that.

So then busking is not a job and people cannot make a living wage by entertaining people on the street?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

muike posted:

i think he's talking about his anonymous personal channel.

He's secretly making a historical in-joke because Roman forums were also full of self-important people bickering about nothing of any real importance.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Are Trekkies forced, or is that a Star Wars thing?

I think it's the difference between fans giving themselves a name versus the creator(s) assigning their fans a name. It's like how nobody can ever really give themselves a nickname.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

judge reinhold posted:

He's cgi like the dog on Frasier.

That wasn't animatronics?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Correct on the subject of basically everything except for the quality of the Duck Dynasty game, which we on SA learned recently is actually fantastic.

What, you don't think stupid knee-jerk opinions are part of the package?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Psychedelic Eyeball may be French Canadian, but I'm still fairly certain that he is an accent unto himself.

• Locked thread