Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Smornstein posted:

I used to watch Frozen Foxy back when i first found Let's Play but now i can't even watch his stuff anymore since it took him over 100 parts to do a blind Low Chaos playthrough of Dishonored without cutting anything out.
Aye, I remember that he was actually on here for a bit and he was doing a pretty good Dead Space 2 LP, but then just dropped off the forums. I also remember there was a problem with him during his initial posts because people hunted him down on some furry forum. Apparently it's a good idea to never ever mark yourself with animal names or animal icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Care to explain? I looked up Trin Tragula and all I can find on the LP archive are a screenshot Lp and some broken links and some sonic videos that sound like he's recording from inside an electric generator. I'm always up for some trainwreck-watching.
I think he was the one who did an Echo the Dolphin LP from the narrative standpoint of a dolphin.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I've never really gotten the idea that mere discussion and conversation on ideas in a community setting is taking things too seriously, but more so when it becomes an active detriment to an individual (whether through harassment, bullying, or stalking). I really do like the idea that SA can be a place where LP ideas can be presented in an open format and with constructive criticism, but it seems too often and too easily for people to lose track of individual thought and input and instead getting lost in an echo chamber of repeated concepts (i.e. 'what are you bringing to the table' or 'slow down, bro, you're taking LP's too seriously'). I do feel bad at times that I've found myself adding to this, but I do earnestly feel that being able to discuss LP's (whether they be on SA or not) is good for the community if it can reach further than mere negativity or just mindless circling in the drain.

Take for example the conversation that popped up today in the sandcastle regarding scarecams; now while on the whole it seems that scarecams are merely tools for LP superstars to sell some wacky gimmick, I seem to recall in a previous thread regarding something or other, that there was a psychological connection between the presenter and viewer that came from being visible as well as being audible. Perhaps information could be more easily ingested by the viewer if they could physically see the LP'er on screen and maybe it could help certain LP's (like Bobbin's current LP of Deus Ex). It's a bit hard to say since the device of a 'scare cam' has just been used for the most basic functions of seeing the player's reaction and that possibly with some thought, it could be used for something more.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

slowbeef posted:

In all honesty, I'm genuinely curious if those ads do anything. I asked him on his channel and he said no, as far as new viewers.
Yeah, if you compare the paid advert video's views to the views he gets on his normal videos, there's a fairly large difference (I think the paid video is at maybe 5,000 views and most of his videos don't crack 100). I've never really understood the want to pad out views and subscribers, I'd rather just have discussion come up from an LP or some humor.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

As much as I want to tell you why VintageBeef is terrible for his perpetuation of a million unfunny catchphrases and lovely ability to actually play games, it has come to my attention that The Humble Bundle theme for this week is that the HB guys let PewDiePie select which games would be in the Bundle.

Yeah, that is a real rear end thing.
I don't understand this complaint? Going with the most popular youtube 'personality' to sell a bundle isn't some mad idea. It makes business sense since it's a known name brand now that does make money and hey, it'll make money for charity. The real complaint is that the bundle itself is oddly priced and sectioned out, not that PDP has any hand in it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

They'd still probably beat it before Proton Jon does, too. Whatever happened to that thread?
Proton Jon abandoned both and I seem to recall he toxxed himself into not being able to make another or something. He's a busy man who needs what with his Mario romhacks and chat panels.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

HGH posted:

When someone LPs an incredibly bad game, I think it works best with dry wit or the patented "person who is experienced and knowledgeable about the game with person/people who aren't" formula, because the latter's reaction is always pretty great.
So is the Game Grumps LP version of Sonic 2006 either of these things?

Also while I too initially enjoyed Poke's Sonic 2006 LP and the annoying poo poo they had to go through, years later though I just think about how nowadays it just covers such low hanging fruit that I just don't find it as funny. A similar thing happened with the Daikatana LP with Proteus and Suspicious; it seems like such an easy route to point out that the game is bad that at this point I'd like to see a less critical look at the games and just see someone do an LP of it using some other jokes than what's been retread before.

Also, when did this Patreon thing start to become a way for people to get money? Like I've seen a few LP'ers doing it and I can't really seem to wrap my brain around it, outside of it's a direct means to shill for money rather than just going off the viewer count or whatever metric that being in a youtube partnership pays out.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

After all, remember he made a video saying that him blaming the game and various things like the controls and stuff is a "recurring joke" from way back and that people wouldn't get it because they're loving mental midgets.

At that point, should we just have a thread dedicated to DSP? It just feels like the stuff you can write about this guy is limitless (and not in a good way).
Eh, is there really enough content to justify a thread merely for DSP? I know people keep on posting about him, but none of it is necessarily new or anything more than 'Man, DSP really doesn't get games and he's bad'. It's like how there's plenty of footage to point out disliking Pewdiepie but does talking about it really have the much depth?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Samiz posted:

I don't see how a developer looked at you making fun of other people and thought "Hey, they should play my game! That's awesome publicity!"
You'd be surprised how many people I've seen pushing Harvester as a game to buy just from the long plays that Retsu. There's just sometimes the thought that any publicity is good publicity.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

If it wasn't for the pop scares, I'd probably grab it since it's only $5. But I hate pop scares on principle, and I don't enjoy getting startled by them any more than I enjoy some random rear end in a top hat hiding in my closet with a rubber knife.
Well make sure you never bring up the term pop or jump scares in the horror games thread in games; that was a can of worms that you wouldn't think would exist.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Never even saw that thread. Time to find it!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648165 to make your search easier.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

There was drama? I just saw speedruns.
Apparently there were drunk orgies or some unpleasantness among the stink nerds there.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So It Goes posted:

I really dislike reddit but it is unfathomable to me that you are apparently unable to understand the point of restricting self-promotion posts. You really need someone to have to explain the concept to you?
I think it's the difference of what is considered 'self promotion' on SA (i.e. "Hey guys like me on facetweeterbox and make sure to subscribe" as massive annotations on a video) and what reddit sees as 'self promotion' (i.e. "Hey guys in the LP sub-reddit, here's a new video for my LP"). I suppose if they just want the sub-reddit as a means to get technical support and not actually viewing LP's then it makes sense, but I figure they want to show off LP's there and that seems difficult to do unless it's merely working off a recommendation system.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

See, you guys bring up interesting (albeit comedic) uses for a face cam. The problem I usually have with face cams is that there's no real inclination for people to do it other than it what's the other popular people are doing. If someone could do something interesting with popular gimmicks then I'd be worth giving it a go (i.e. Vicas' foot LP of Mario 64 or Blister messing around in that Paper Marion LP).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

You guys do know that youtube is more than just LP's right? Like that term is used for anyone uploading stuff to youtube. Also fart.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

But aside from the 12 year old tits thing, aren't you guys excited for his forthcoming appearance on South Park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uirZ0bDzoYQ. I think that means we've all hit the big time.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I don't know; would it make people feel better if EA or Visceral was filing the claim instead? Because I doubt they really want you making money off their game as well, though I do agree that these rando frivolous claims are annoying. I remember one I got years ago from silent, semi-ambient noises in a Silent Hill game...but it was silent, semi-ambient noises from Akira Yamaoka.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Why would they care?

Unless Let's Play is considered a substitute product for the actual games - which is subject of debate, but hear me out for a moment - it doesn't cut into profit one way or the other. That could change if Ubisoft enters the video production market, but if it's a totally separate market, it doesn't hurt Ubisoft. It's not like they're making that ad money, nor is it profit they're losing, unless it breaches their IP or something.

You're spreading word of their game so they get free advertising. (This gets dicey when Activision removes videos that show off glitches in new games, and some companies do expressly forbid monetizing videos with their footage.)

Some companies have actually now come out and said LP helps sales and they're all for it. And if monetization helps more LPers enter the market and spread word of their game, the more the merrier. Bigger game devs even invite LPers to corporate events or dole out review copies. They're all for it.

Now as for, "are LPs substitute products" - yes I do think there's a share of market you potentially lose by letting people watch and potentially decide they don't want/need to buy - but right now the devs seem to be of the opinion that the new people brought in more than make up for it.
My problem is that for the most part, we as LP'ers haven't really gotten any go ahead from the developer/publisher to make money off of their product. Now granted there are companies/entities out there making false claims against videos and probably making money as well off these products, but that doesn't make it any better. That's just both parties trying to make a buck off something they don't really have the rights to make money off of. Now if cjacobs had actually gotten consent from EA/Visceral to monetize his videos, then more power to him. I don't really think that's the case though.

You are right though that devs/publishers are realizing that LP's are a good form for advertising, but I wasn't really saying that LP's are massively cutting into their profits like pirating a game would. Just that we probably don't have a legal ground to stand on for making money if they felt the need to question it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Are there any competent Don't Starve playthroughs out there? Blind or not. It was a hard game for me to progress at, and all the videos I ever saw were annoying people stumbling around and failing worse than I did, so it would be interesting to see someone handle their poo poo.

Actually, suggestions for any competent playthroughs of roguelike games would be welcome, now that I think about it.
http://bd.baldurk.org/lp/162

Also agent355 did kind of a megathread of roguelikes back in the day and some of them were pretty enjoyable, like DoomRL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4037YoQDUes

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Just make a written transcript and do a comedy sketch about it later. Get Amy Poehler in there to be the person from google.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

VoidBurger posted:

Are written transcripts somehow more legal than recording the call?

(Not that's I'm going to record anything - I'm really expecting that this call (if it even happens) is just going to be focused on my account alone and no other wider matters.)
Who knows? I was more just making a stupid comment to go along with the idea of recording the conversation in the first place which seemed pretty stupid. I'm just glad you got the stuff worked out in the end.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Game Grumps have always been pretty poo poo, but it's good to know they're also casually racist.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

EricFate posted:

Quick, someone make a hashtag about it.
#GlameGlumpsDidNothingWrongMuchLikeHitler

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

bobjr posted:

Didn't Disney send cease and desist letters to daycares that painted their characters on the wall? Disney is really protective of their brand.
That seems reasonable though; if said local day care pops up on the evening news after child molestation charges are brought up against the owners, I wouldn't want my Mickey Mouse brand character seen slapped on the side of child molestation center. It's all in that differentiation between fair use and parody and all those other legal matters.

DoctorWhat posted:

How do they even find personally-sung lyrics? We're not at that point yet technically, are we?
I honestly don't know; but I've had a video dinged that was using a really poorly made midi version of a song and it got hit for that somehow.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I think for me it was a guy named Kikoskia and his 8 minute long snippets of playing poo poo you shouldn't do VLP's of like Albion or Lands of Lore (all while he voice acted every line). I still remember entire updates where he couldn't figure out a puzzle and instead would say "Well hopefully next update we can figure it out".

Like holy poo poo, I actually sat through all of his 183 part LP of Albion.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Roaper posted:

Pssstt, you know who is also really bad? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJmsCDWKCnc

He makes me a little sad to be Irish.
I love his utter disbelief at what the cheat clearly says it'll do. Like he launches off a ramp and he's all "Holy poo poo, faith and begorrah, I never expected that I'd go at an increased distance into the air! Leprechaun! Women drivers are bad!".

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Did you miss the part about "people are idiots" or something?
Self-fulfilling prophecy. No place or people are infallible and things will slip through; it's just that for the most part at SA we don't actively defend and encourage pedo's rights.

Stux posted:

counterpoint: you can turn youtube comments off
I'm pretty sure you can turn off the forums too.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't really like Super Best Friends? There's that one guy who just yells 99% of the time about random poo poo that irritates me for some reason.
I think a good portion of my dislike comes from the music in their intro and then that gets compounded when I hear them speak.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Who is that Let's Play guy who is super unimpressed with horror games?
Me.

Or Harshly Critical.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

"Your whole thing about 'I'm here for Steam quality control' has gone out the window thanks to Steam refunds." - Digital Homicide developer.

Also he's seems upset that Jim makes $10k/month off Patreon followers.
I'm pretty upset about that because Jim is mostly hot garbage, but I feel the same way about Pewdiepie.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

inthesto posted:

The headline to the article amuses me, because it is actually the exact opposite of the truth
It's his charm, his soft spoken demeanor, and his drive to donate to charities that really has made him all of his money. Also lots and lots of rape jokes.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So I have some bad news guys, and I might be wrong about this....but it appears that Richard Gamingo's youtube channel is no more.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So did anyone notice the update to youtube? Is it just an interface update or was there supposed to be something more to it?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dreezy posted:

I know there's a website that aggregates movies with full-frontal male nudity and keeps a database on the sizes and shapes of the actors' dicks, but as far as I know there aren't any LP superstars on it.
I'm sure that probably bums out blister quite a bit. I mean, that's the entire point of a green screen is to show off some sweet dong.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Apparently Jimmy Kimmel can't wrap his head around Let's Plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9KmXwrA5Y and it's pretty great.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

BMS posted:

Why the gently caress did I click on this. I interpreted your statement as he played some stupid game called Shower, with a goon called Your Dad Simulator.....

The actual thing is somehow worse.
Nah, it's just a fun, goofy game that's made by a goon. Dude who made it has made quite a few little bullshit games, like who about a dog who keeps getting bigger and knocking into poo poo.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 11, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Do Chip & Ironicus count as a cute couple?
I'm sure it does in someone's weird rear end slash-fic.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So what does fair use actually cover? Because I've always been annoyed by the fact that I don't monetize my videos but I still get strikes and notices as if I was; wouldn't it only make sense to do checks for videos that are making money off these rather than random mom with dancing babies?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Jamesman posted:

All you really need to know is that YouTube's copyright system gives absolutely zero fucks about Fair Use. It literally does not factor in at all.
That seemed to be the point of the article and case though; that there is some legal standing for fair use in these cases. But yeah, silly of me to ask I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hooray, then I'm fair use! Take that Akira Yamaoka and your screechy metal background noises.

• Locked thread