Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sp00ky of Team Sp00ky's fame - the biggest fighting game streamer around - made a couple of LPs some time ago, and they were quite nice. Here's the playlist for his Zelda II playthrough. It helps that he was pretty good at the games he picked, and that the dude is one of the chillest human beings on Earth (as long as you don't touch his stream equipment). He's not really a LPer (he did those during a "break") tho. Which, to be honest, probably helped things.

And using that as a segue, I like it much better when YT LPers play games they actually KNOW than the streak of random blind bullshit most of them do. Before Two Best Friends became full-fledged LPers (instead of just doing the gimmicky videos), they did a Resident Evil 2 series that was well-played and had good information about the game/series, even if it was still personality-type commentary. That's the type of stuff I don't mind from YT-style LPs, even if it's mediocre it's miles better than face-cam and stumbling thru a new game you're bad at. But I guess when you're trying to make Youtube Yens, you need to play new releases to capitalize on the hype. Still, at least keep it on the genres you're decent at. Don't pull a DSP is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

unfair posted:

While we're on the topic of Geek & Sundry, they also have a board game show which I'm sure some of you are familiar with called Tabletop. Hosted by Wil Wheaton it's informative, let's play-ish, and I'd highly recommend checking it out.

Yeah, it doesn't really fit the thread (although I suppose we've had board games LPed here before) but Tabletop is pretty cool if you're interested in board games. It's always a full game edited down to the important parts, with nice production values, explanations about the rules and different guests each episode. It's worth checking it out, at least.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
For speedrunners, facecam is a bit about showing who's ACTUALLY playing the game (and introducing themselves personally to a niche group), and a bit about creating dialogue with the viewers (especially after you know that runner is legit at X game). It's not necessary, but I don't hate when runners have it on. Also, I get to watch Withe messing around with a Wiggler while Funkdoc resets Batman or something for the 125th time, and that's always adorable.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I recommended Spooky a few pages back, and he's starting another LP right now, a Golgo 13 LP, in fact. Spooky is the chillest motherfucker ever.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BMS posted:

Really I think this is at the base of why "LP Drama" just isn't like it used to be. Instead of being a sub-sub-culture on the internet, it's actually became vaguely mainstream and widely known. For the most part, gone are the days of Velos and Viper rant videos and death threats. Closest thing we've had to that was the Dangan Ronpa thread clusterfuck, which confuses me just as much trying to figure out how there can be so many weird loving people that take this poo poo so seriously. VIDEO GAMES!!! Speaking of, I popped on a couple days ago to see slowbeef had closed the Dangan Ronpa thread. Not sure if it was completed or not, but has there been any fallout from that worth looking at? Tumblr seems to be the main offender here, but gently caress if I care to spend time using their weird rear end search function.

Dangan Ronpa was finished, DR2 is closed all the time. When stuff gets out of hand, or looks like it's getting out of hand, someone closes it until next update. It gets the Pokémon thread treatment, where it has attracted so many weird things that everything there is treated much more harshly than anywhere else.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

kalonZombie posted:

And the Mario Party LP, though I guess that's technically Pokecapn?

Do you really wanna teach kids about the power of devils and that screwing your friends over is good? Nah, Mario Party is EVIL, keep them away from it. Watch a House of The Dead: Overkill LP, that's healthier.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

gatz posted:

No, because, remember, we're talking about experiencing something new. Clearly, that can be done by watching/reading a let's play of a game you haven't played. If planescape: torment is considered to be one of the best written video games, there's not much of a difference between reading an LP of it compared to reading a well written fantasy novel.

On another level, you can experience something new even if you have already played the game, under the right conditions. Girgast is a game developer, and he supposedly dissects Cold Fear in his LP of it (word of mouth from Lazyfire since I haven't watched it).

Well, using your own point, the appeal to watching a blind Dark Souls-LP is basically seeing how people that never played the game react to its challenges. The cool thing about the Souls series is that you can approach a certain obstacle in a myriad of ways, even some that you might not have thought about before, and watching people come to their own conclusions about the best way to handle the Bell Gargoyles or the Capra Demon (shoutouts to Geop) is pretty entertaining - and sometimes elucidating.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Highwang posted:

The Silent Hill LPs from Two Best Friends Play is actually really good, though I think they only did the awful games. Their vids inspired me to try out the originals though, and I'm really glad I did.

Eh, I think they are good LPs, but they're really not preserving any atmosphere - it's more relentless mockery of the crappy games with some insights as to why the game is crap every once in a while, and some axe-throwing mixed in. Same thing with the blind SH LPs some dudes (forgot the game of the group, same one that did the 20 Years of Mario) did, it's more personality-focused.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I always liked watching people play games for some weird reason. I used to watch my cousin play Genesis and PSX games when I was little, and since I didn't have either console at home, it was the only way for me to absorb those games. It helped that I was terrible at videogames as a wee child, but also REALLY wanted to see the end of them.

As for LPs, I lurked SA for the longest time, even if I only registered in 2012. Like, I read the forums before LP was a thing, circa 2005 or so. If I'm not mistaken, I got here because someone made a fuckin' flamethrower and that someone was from SA. Anyway, since I had poo poo Internet, the first LP I read was a SSLP: The Dark Id's RE4 Let's Play. Actually, now I'm not sure if it was that or Darkseed. One of the two. Regardless, I guess I got into them because I was a bored teenager looking for anything moderately entertaining online that I could save and read offline later (hi dialup I don't miss you). It explains why I tend to care more about personality-based, narrative and MST3K-ish LPs than the super-informative ones, I suppose.

It's kinda funny too, around that time no one had any idea what the gently caress LPs were around these parts. I think I got my younger brother and a friend into them, and those two were the only other people that knew what a Let's Play was, even in my online circles. In fact, only reason I shared it with them was because they are as nerdy as I am (also, they could read English. That helped too). So it was kind of a "guilty pleasure" of sorts, this extremely geeky and obscure thing I wouldn't be caught dead watching in public. Now I see friends that aren't even big gamers watching Youtube LPs and laughing their asses off, so it's hard to argue that LP hasn't blown up considerably.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TARDISman posted:

PewDiePie confirmed as a cast member in Kingdom Hearts III.

Sora! Donald! Goofy! RAAAAAAAAAAAPE!

I guess good for them?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is a running joke a catchphrase? Because 2BFP have more than a couple of those. They do "cycle" them every so often when they get too repetitive, so it's not too bad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

jontron is now doubling down after tim schafer dared to tweet a tropes vs women video

Well, that's arguable now, isn't it, Mr. JonTron?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rita Repulsa posted:

Don't worry jontron, we all know you are a delicate little easily breakable flower and not a savage
a flower except it's ugly and smells bad

Like this one, for instance?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Golden Goat posted:

Sorry I was joking, it was just when I looked up the first three anime characters you mentioned they were all what looks like generic underage anime girls and I couldn't resist poking fun at that.

Not to extend this derail, but that look is part of the point of at least Madoka and Nanoha, if I'm not mistaken.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zain posted:

Not when you've made money off of it/didn't give them any credit. Pretty sure Fair Use doesn't cover money involved.

Well, she didn't make money from the videos, right? She got money to make the videos, but the content isn't monetized as far as I'm aware. Plus, LPers complaining about using someone else's product to make money is kinda silly...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
About face/full—body cams, and I'm aware it isn't exactly a LP: The Excellent Adventures of Mike Ross and Gootecks does it right, mostly because their format is conductive to it. It's a group of pretty good Street Fighter players goofing around online, and since you have to wait for games anyway, they cut to the couch cam while they argue about whether or not Mike is godlike. Of course, it works better if you actually have a personality.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheMcD posted:

I can not for the life of me figure out how the gently caress I'm supposed to watch all that stuff - I've got other poo poo to do too, you know!

You're not. You're not the target audience.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheMcD posted:

Man, I can't really recall a period in my life where I didn't have less to do in general than I do now and at the same time had access to the Internet. Now I feel old, and I shouldn't, because I'm not.

This cult of personality LPing movement where it's all about one LPer and that's it is starting to really rub me the wrong way.

Yeah, it's silly, but it's exactly my point - those guys make videos for their fans. While free time/age is definitely a factor, the people that watch their LPs probably follow them and one or two other guys tops. So more content is good, because their fanbase has time to watch it. Plus, drat, you watch a lot of poo poo.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

For a long time there have been great and powerful industries built to exploit people with more money than sense. Now internet video creators are beginning to tap into an old but previously underrepresented market: those who have more time than sense.

I wouldn't even say that. See my previous point - if you follow two guys with four 30min videos a day, that's 4h of content. It sounds like a lot, but that's two hour-long series plus a soccer match. Then you take into account the fact that those LPers have a young fanbase...

It's just a different choice of trash entertainment, really. Although I suppose that makes you right in a sense.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do other initialisms do that too? Like FBI, RTS or WWE?

Those actually shorten the original names tho. Also, they roll off the tongue easier.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

He's not wrong in that it was a pretty dumb statement though. I definitely don't want to play video games for a living, I play them for fun. Doing it as a job would loving suck.

What he actually said was "if you could make money by doing something you considered a hobby, wouldn't you?".

I mean, you might get sick of it and end up hating your hobby, but I'd sure as hell would like to get paid to play videogames/do music/write inane stuff on the internet instead of working a 9-to-5 writing reports at an office. If I could give it an honest try, why not?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

aerion111 posted:

Why not?
Mostly because it'd probably be more work (forget 9-to-5, you're competing with people who spend most of their day on this stuff) for less pay (Sure, some people make tons of money, but for the most part you'll have just barely enough to rent a basement somewhere and live on dried noddles like some poor college student)

There are a lot of hobbies you can live off of - heck, unless you've got Dysgraphia (which may or may not be a thing that is real. That argument's not very relevant) I've been told that you can eventually learn to draw.
So, you don't want to do an office-job?
Learn to draw, ideally the high-definition computerized stuff, and start doing 'commissions'.
I rarely see (fulltime 'this is my job') commission-based artists with hourly wages under 10$, which seems to be a good margin over minimum wage, and the good ones can earn twice that if they push themselves.
With a backlog and a predictable procedure for drawing, that's essentially 'reliable income' - even if you go through a 'dry spell', you can just work on catching up on the backlog.
But that means 10-to-14-hour days for the pay worthy of a retail-clerk, and you don't get to choose what you draw (or at least, you don't get to choose everything about it)

Some people are simply too greedy or lazy to settle for 'earning a living with their hobby'

I mean, those are all valid points, but you're missing the basic idea behind what I said. I'm not asking for career advice. I'm not giving anyone career advice. I also know most people working freelance (which is what fits most "paid-hobby" jobs) work their rear end off for not-amazing pay. Hell, I'm fresh out of college and that's basically my reality right now. My point is, most people doing LPs for a living - not as a complimentary means of income, which, by the way, is also legit in my eyes - dropped their "real" jobs after making enough money out of their videos to sustain their lifestyles, or at least I'd hope so. Same thing with webcomic artists, "content creators", etc. So if you can do that and you already got some idea of how much work it would entail, why not?

Cheez posted:

I would argue that recording videos of playing games just for people to watch you play a game, followed by scraping together money from ads for the people who watched your video, is not a job.

If you get paid for it, it's a job. I mean, people get paid to tell jokes in front of a crowd, or do basic Windows troubleshooting, so...

CJacobs posted:

I mean it's not like I'm saying you shouldn't do it or that people shouldn't be able to do it, it's a free world people can do whatever the hell they want, I'm just trying to justify my reasons for not wanting to do it because it seems like I'm in the minority in this discussion.

Nah, I can see why you wouldn't. Aerion111 also gave tons of reasons why you wouldn't (or perhaps shouldn't). Hell, regarding videogames, I don't think I would either. But it's not a dumb statement if you do have that mindset.

slowbeef posted:

You're not, but I just don't where the conversation can go from here.

Maybe it's a job. Maybe it isn't. I don't know. This kinda thing just tends to reduce to "this is what I think a fulfilling life is" and it's different for everyone so...

Yeah, basically that. I didn't really wanna get into that specific argument, just demonstrate that it all depends on your mindset - "this is what I think a fulfilling life is" hits the nail right on the head. So I'll drop this conversation right now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

judge reinhold posted:

I'm going to give all of you the greatest professional advice in the history of mankind: don't count other people's money.

Hey, if someone wants to go into accounting, let them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

VoidBurger posted:

Though I will always lol at "The reason it's not rape is because there's no penetration" haha, as if they're going to show Pyramidhead's 3d-modeled dick entering a monster's vagina and then be like "oh no, why is it rated AO now and we can't sell it anywhere :( I just wanted to portray rape in vidyagames"

Eh, the other stuff on James' backstory make it arguable for that first scene at least, it's just that the other type of violence also looks quite sexual. Then again, it's been a while since I played SH2 and I've been reliving it thru the TBFP LP, so there might be more on-the-nose rape allusions somewhere.

Also, that wasn't a "little" too zero-to-sixty, that was actual Tumblr-bullshit levels of zero-to-sixty offense. Not that the dude shouldn't have apologized.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Honestly tongue-in-cheek slasher horror with a huge loser as a temp in this homicidal pizza parlor could actually be a very fun watch if written right. It's not a terrible elevator pitch for a self-aware horror movie, let's be fair.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

slowbeef posted:

Monetizing/not monetizing your videos doesn't affect whether or not you'll get copyright strikes or claims.

Yep. I know the OSW Review guys (who chronologically critique wrestling PPVs) get claims on their poo poo all the time and it's not monetized. They've also moved to their own website now to avoid that issue.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Azran posted:

Australian and Canadian accents are more interesting and "friendly"-sounding to me, a native Spanish speaker, than anything else. It's an opinion that most people I've talked to here share with me (even if they don't actually understand English).

American accents to me are narrowed down to South and Rest of the U.S.A.

Southern drawl, midwestern "clear" (read, everyone that doesn't have a distinct accent) , midwestern "hillbilly", Cali "surfer", New Jersey. Those are the only ones I can sorta hear.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: I believe some hardcore fighting game types hate him because he panders to filthy casuals or some poo poo, which makes him even better

Eh, Max is by all accounts a very nice dude and his videos are...not offensive, at least, but a problem "hardcore" fighting game types have with him is that he says a lot of misinformed stuff on his videos, and he makes (or used to make, at least) WAY too many videos about any minimal fighting games news. Also, he likes KI.

paradoxGentleman posted:

How much truth is there in the stereotype that fighting game experts are elitist douchebags?

The actually really good guys are nice. From personal experience I can only talk about players in my country, and 90% of them are stupidly humble and helpful.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Probably thedarkid's Resident Evil 4 LP when it was still going. I've been lurking SA since 2005-06, really, so I just stumbled across LPs when they were this new phenomenon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My problems with reddit are the upvote system, for the reasons you guys already touched on - it's impossible to actually discuss anything, dissenting opinions get silenced regardless of quality and it reinforces little cool cliques - and a younger userbase, because teenagers are and always will be poo poo. It`s a decent place for niche discussion, tho, especially for games. I feel like it has replaced GameFAQs in a lot of ways.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Alternatively, the British Empire enslaved and "colonized" a bunch of countries around the world for the longest time, so are you that surprised that people associate your accent with evilness?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Swatting: the only way you can make DSP handling a situation look good. Grats, kid-rear end in a top hat that pulled it off, you did the impossible.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Goddamnit, now you made me think about DSP not understanding how a stun grenade works.

"I can't see anything! WOW! That's bullshit, how can I defend myself if I can't see anything?"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The problem with SWAT isn't so much the police taking immediate action, but answering calls in bumfuck nowhere, Ohio with military-grade equipment without the training OR the circumstances for its use. But that's beside the point, which is "swatting is dumb, it threatens innocent lives and wastes everyone's time".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Unfunny Poster posted:

Shut Up & Sit Down are better than Table Top if you're interested in learning about different board games.

They don't do "LPs" very often tho. Tabletop is more about being funny with a bunch of personalities than about the games, to the point they were getting tons of rules wrong and Wheaton threw the producer under a bus with spiked wheels this season.

They still have some cool episodes, like Fiasco and The Resistance, tho. It's a fun show. Wil can be a bit...overpowering at times, however.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Unfunny Poster posted:

The best LP of any tabletop game SU&SD did was the XCom style game that was in a warehouse and they were cluelessly leading a nation and caused diplomatic incidents because they got out metagamed by the other players.

As for Wil's personality, which is part of the big appeal for the show, it's not that entertaining after like 10 episodes of him screaming.

Edit - This is the SU&SD video - http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/susd-play-megagame/

They actually did a follow-up to that this year too, by the way. Watch the Skies pt.1 and 2, featuring many, many diplomatic incidents, whales getting offended and more!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've said here before that I watch Co-Optitude on their channel too every now and then, and it's sort of a guilty pleasure because it's mostly Felicia freaking out and being terrible at games, yet somehow it entertains me. It's mostly me being drunk and trolling YT for things to watch, then when I find out there's no new Tabletop I just click on those. Apparently the Days are on break and I think the guys filling for them are actually...better at that schtick? Anyway, it's weird and Tabletop-talk reminded me of it.

Also, if nothing else Tabletop made me really wanna play Fiasco. Such a cool concept.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

I feel like that's a little harsh

Especially coming from the dude with a kids' show avatar.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

My previous avatar bought to me by some rear end in a top hat was about supporting the genocide of Russians in Ukraine, I'm sorry somebody changed it to have less gravity in discussing video games (also somehow Mario and Sonic are considered better than the fecal tragedy that's Dr Who).

I just had to take the shot, my man. It's fine.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
poo poo, that video has 16k dislikes already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Danaru posted:

Does anyone actually hate Markiplier? I hear hyperbole about how much others hate him, but the worst I've ever heard about him was that his videos suck, but he's a great guy otherwise

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the overall opinion of Markplier here is "his videos suck, but he's a cool dude clearly pandering to the audience that gets him paid, so it's understandable. Videos still suck tho."

• Locked thread