Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

I personally think they make a video series look neat and professional, for example Chip and Ironicus videos look pretty great with their per-series thumbnails and title cards.

But if it's the stereotypical scarecam shot superimposed over a screen from the game and goofy-rear end font in primary colours then yeah, it does nothing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sundowner posted:

So I have a bit of a pretty uncommon perspective on the whole networks and youtube money bullshit.

In my teens, well before I joined SA and had any semblance of "taste" when it came to making or watching video game videos, I was making lovely Call of Duty videos and was approached pretty much the week Machinima launched their Directors program. I was one of the first few they rolled up. The general idea was that I would send them videos regularly for their channel and I'd get paid a cut of the ad rev from it, this later evolved to Network Partnerships once YouTube launched that with a chance for "everyone" to get one and from that point I was making enough to call it a living. That is to say, if I wasn't 17-18 and living with my parents, I could maintain rent and amenities pretty comfortably. I made and vaguely maintain friendships with some guys who are doing ridiculously well now and surprisingly a couple of them are really down to earth and nothing like their YouTube personas. A couple of years ago I left Machinima when all of the shady aspects of their contract started to get kicked up publically.

It took me a solid week of skype calls, emails, complaints and "threats" to get out of my contract. They would not let me go until I basically lied to them and told them I breeched their contract (I think I said I signed a contract with a new network, which I had been planning to do, I just had to sign it and fax it, but hadn't gone through with yet). Eventually after basically pleading for an hour to get out on the last day of the week, they let me out. I moved to IGN who were cool but paid lovely. After leaving IGN I realized "YouTube money" was a loving waste of time so I just partnered up with a very open and creator friendly network called Curse who have their contracts 100% available online and fully transparent. I now don't even concern my self with my old poo poo, nor my "current" partnership.

I joined SA a few months ago and the site quickly made me realize the error in my ways. That said, I wouldn't go back and change it. Earning £600-1000 a month as an 18 year old? gently caress yeah. That was when YouTube was at it's peak for relatively fresh gaming content and it wasn't the homogenized pile of poo poo that it is now.

Hi, I'm Sundowner and I'm an ex-YouTube Star(not really).

I know of Curse as the folks who run the minecraft forums and seem to do a bunch of stuff for MMOs too.

I'm pleased to hear they're an agreeable lot, I was initially a bit offput when they took over minecraft's community side.

Fascinating story, anyway, though I'm not sure what put you off doing it? That's fairly good money, was it just you got sick of the amount of crap that gets uploaded to youtube or something? If you don't mind me asking, that is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sundowner posted:

Eh, I "quit" for a half a year at first due to disinterest and focusing on college (in hindsight I was being angsty, I think) and then came back to a real YouTube partnership, a year later views started to dwindle for me and a lot of people I knew and over the years I just fell to obscurity, maintaining a small viewership which was fine but ultimately I wasn't in control of my income what so ever and the bigger other channels got, the less time and money networks had for smaller channels. At it's peak I had 50,000 subscribers and good percentage of that as regular views but it was clear I was on a downhill slope in terms of subscriber retention probably 2 years ago now.

It was a cool thing while it lasted but I ultimately grew kinda bitter about it (not any more) and put it behind me. A couple of cool old viewers have stuck with me, which is nice but it's not even remotely within my interests to do it again. LP is a good hobby and pass time, it was not a fun job in the end. I'm sure it is for my friends who have broken 1 million subscribers, though! :v:

I was thinking it sounds like a bit of a rockstar lifestyle, in a way, as in you can make it big but probably won't and it'll all go downhill soon enough. Not the sort of thing I think I could handle certainly.

It's weird because apart from the yogscast, all the people I watch LPs from are doing it on a fairly small scale, it's weird that the LP industry (jesus christ that shouldn't be a phrase that has meaning) is big enough not only to support celebrities, but also networks built around the videos and the business of monetizing them.

Slightly scary, really, thinking about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TotalBiscuit posted:

I still have no idea why people watch this, but it's the only series I do where the primary demographic is 13-17 year olds. Everything else on the channel is 25-34 primary, followed by 18-24. It's also one of those games that has no story of its own so it's only really watchable if the people playing it are making something entertaining out of it.

It's still awful and I feel bad for starting it, but a lot of people like it and really wanted it to come back so, hey.

I personally didn't enjoy it so much (but then, jesse's style grates on me a little bit sometimes) but if I had to guess, it's because some folks maybe really, really enjoy that kind of LP.

For me it's subjective, I like some of the yogscast minecraft stuff, and they only have what story they choose to put in it (and they usually choose some sort of goal for the series) but just watching people dick about in a game with no goal doesn't really do it for me.

It is a bit of a mystery, but I do think it probably has something to do with people just enjoying watching other people dick about and seeing what wacky antics they'll get up to in the videos. That would explain possibly some of the viewership that scarecam LPers get, you don't watch it to see the game, you watch it for the people playing it and their response to what happens.

For me I need a bit of the game in there at least, so I like stuff where the LPer sets a goal, or even if they're constantly riffing on the game because it's bad. Energy and personality can really enhance an LP (Kaz, medibot, and KFJ all did a FF13 LP which I really enjoyed because they work well together) but if you aren't going to include the game as anthing more than a pretense for watching the person, I don't see a lot of point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

Yeah, both my little brother (just entering college) and my neighbour (a lurker goon who's 20 odd) watch all of these sorts of shows, and I can understand the attraction. The Roosterteeth guys are engaging, and TotalBiscuit is also engaging (although the game he VAs in is not, not for me, at least). Then again, I used to run (briefly) with the "Funny [insert multiplayer game here] Videos" crowds, so make of that what you will...

I mostly watch TB for the informative shows, WTF Is is a pretty good show for seeing what a game is like. Probably the best I've found at any rate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

I think Ambition came out well. (Thanks again to Pinstripe Hourglass for recording it.) It's a series of flash games designed to teach you online negotiation. This particular series focuses on a main story involving a suicide bomber, a love triangle, courtroom drama, and intrigue.

It gets absolutely loving ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjCBU0daGE

I actually couldn't enjoy that series and it has nothing to do with your part in producing it, it's because the actual source material is like, ricky gervais levels of uncomfortable.

If you want to watch something incredibly cringeworthy being made fun of by folks I would wholeheartedly recommend this series, as it's just... Well there's nothing else I know of that's anything like it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/tehpauleh?feature=watch

I'd like to recommend this fellow to anybody who kinda just wants to see a relatively intelligent person play a game they are interested in.

He doesn't seem to do silly gimmicks very much, he generally cuts stuff out between episodes and within episodes in the case of things like minecraft, he doesn't do scarecams, he doesn't yell, and he is not staggeringly awful at the games he plays.

If I have a complaint it's honestly that he's sometimes a little boring, but if you want to see a game played, he plays games. I can appreciate that, honestly, as it's remarkably hard to find someone who is comprehensible, competent, and plays a wide variety of newish releases.

He's probably the most game-oriented LPer I've seen, because there's almost no personality there, just games. It's a little odd but also rather nice when that's exactly what you want to see.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mcclay posted:

I find that Cry is actually not that terrible, despite his association with PDP. His screwing around videos on Battlefield and the like are quite funny, he doesn't use a face cam and when he plays a horror game he actually shuts up and lets the gravity of the situation hit instead of rambling like a moron. While he does read text out loud he actually has the voice for it and he seems intelligent despite the company he keeps. His LP of Corpse Party was quite good.
Link to Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChaoticMonki

Also The Solar Gamer Is pretty good. His Civ 5 LPs are informative and at points semi narrative but the biggest draw is his Day Z series. He actually went with a rather engaging story line that evolves through out the series rather the mindless loving about that others do in Day Z. Its nice to see a LP of Day Z that isn't just a bunch of idiots wandering around yelling at zombies.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFZ0W0IUyLWiZnH2I8OjEBg

I enjoy Cry quite a lot, as you say he has a good voice for reading things, and he doesn't overdo it. Frankly I think having him read the text actually rather enhances the games in many cases, especially as really long games can be a bit of a slog to get through, and that lets you follow it while doing something else.

He also LPs quite interesting little games, not just the youtube flavor of the month horror games, so +1 from me for him.

IceAgeComing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knab9oQIMOQ

I don't care what anyone says, this is the best LP ever, and anyone who disagrees is just wrong :colbert:.

(borrowed from Froodulous in the UKMT in D&D)

:stare:

Reminds me of my own grandmother a little bit playing Zelda. She throws the controller more than I did when I was seven.

Jazerus posted:

I'd like to toss in a second recommendation for GetDaved. I checked him out because of this post and he really is quite good even though he does videos of stuff we would normally recommend SSLPs for. If you enjoy strategy LPs then he's a lot of fun to watch (though his mistakes in GalCiv 2 are kind of :suicide:).

I like VLPs of most games honestly, even if they're not typically things you'd VLP, and this guy seems pretty cool, so thanks for the recommendation.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sundowner posted:

I'm not a fan of Yogscast but I can respect what they've done with the game and furthermore I can respect that they admitted when they were sick of it. They had a whole team of people write and create very elaborate stories and maps that they would be relatively blind to, and they would adventure through it so there was a nice mix of unscripted and scripted stuff and they do appeal to a much younger audience.

I don't find them all that funny but I do feel they're on par with the likes of Game Grumps in terms of how I see their videos, which is just background noise and bite-sized bites of hit or miss entertainment while I'm eating or whatever. I don't watch either often but they have their merits despite not necessarily meeting the standard of quality that forum goers might expect.

I find it hard to really criticize them. They've made a pretty successful job of being entertaining personalities for kids. I know my nephews love them and I'd sooner want them watching Yogscast over Pewdiepie or someone like that.

I generally like their 'let's achieve this big goal in minecraft' series, they tend to have a lot of dumb filler but they do have a fairly good group dynamic going, and as stupid youtube entertainment goes you can do a lot worse.

Probably most of the entertainment comes from the silly things that end up happening when you stick them all in a game together, and some of it is pretty funny, though a lot of it is hit or miss.

For a very popular youtube group they are pretty good I'd say, it could always be pewdiepie after all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

"At least they're better than PewDiePie" is the very definition of damning someone with faint praise.

True, but it's also actually quite valid praise given what we have to pick from on youtube.

"Not part of the illimitable tide of poo poo" is, while not difficult, at least a comparatively rare comment you can make.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Buttass posted:

On the other hand, if anyone can tell me exactly what PewDiePie's appeal is, that he's gotten so much attention and popularity, I'd appreciate it. I watched one of his videos once and I didn't even get to any explicitly offensive parts, he was just so incredibly unfunny I couldn't stand to listen to him

I tend to think of him as funny for the same reason the Swedish Chef is funny. Silly noises and a silly face = funny.

Except I actually like the Swedish Chef.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Imagine a world where PewDiePie got big enough that adults watched and liked his videos. You're walking down the hall at work and you can hear two people quoting his latest episode and you just want the world to burn.

Christ I get that when I hear people saying 'lol' in real life...

My inner mind has just gazed over the precipice of hell, thanks for that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vicas posted:

lol at people who have not accepted the word lol as a real-rear end part of the english language

I've no objection to it in text or online, but saying it in real life is literally saying 'I am laughing now' instead of actually laughing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Powerfrog posted:

This one is a little weird, It's runescape, (the bad outdated MMO) but it's a challenge series that avoids all the typical MMO stuff and I feel someone with no experience of the game could enjoy watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEiVaIZfQ0w&list=SP03BA3AD3CF3EF913

Essentially they're already near max level characters in the game, but they start with 0 items whatsoever and can't do any kind of player trading, so they have to go get raw resources and craft useful items and then use these crafted items to take on one of the hardest bosses in the game. They cut out all the grindy bits and I personally enjoy their commentary.

If you have played the game in the past 5 or 6 years you'll appreciate the challenge even more, because the game really is "kill this 1 thing for money then buy everything else" which means a lot of players have never even crafted an item or used a none combat skill for personal use before in their account's history because it's "inefficient", so it's refreshing to see it done.

See when I played runescape last, it was a bunch of weird cone people with sphere heads and it ran at 10fps in a browser.

That doesn't look like runescape to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Singh Long posted:

I'm sure it will turn out something like these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHz4nYCDdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suV2wJ0K3s8

And yes, there are more where these came from.

I was just thinking of this guy reading the above posts.

It is funny, just in a different way. It's not supposed to be funny, but you laugh at it, not with it, at it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roar posted:

The problem with the Yogscast is that whenever they do anything remotely interesting in Minecraft, they eventually try to shoehorn some weird back story into it. I get that there needs to be something since it's an open-ended game with no story at all but gently caress, things like Shadows of Israphel got really, really dumb after a while.

That being said I could watch Sips all goddamn day, there's just something about his videos that are just soothing as hell.

Did you grow up in the eighties/nineties?

Do you like tangential references to pop culture from that era?

Are you the person in your family that doesn't get invited to weddings because of your moderately sleazy fascination with grubby jokes?

If so, this is the channel for you.

He's like some weird combination of ricky gervais and whoever writes the material for the simpsons.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 10, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

I think the appeal of Sips is that he can think on his feet relatively well when it comes to branching out his commentary (go look at his Towns videos) and it keeps thing interesting. The major issue is that he gets so caught up in the commentary he forgets how to play games. He nearly starved to death in Don't Starve thinking that something was hitting him, for example. I really can't watch him at this point because he just travels to Narnia on his comments to such an extend the gameplay becomes either boring or terrible almost every video.

I... guess? He can certainly blather on over just about anything, but like I said, it seems to be almost always either slightly creepy jokes, 'awkward-funny' style stuff like The Office (or anything ricky gervais ever does) or constant 80's pop culture references.

He seems less like an LPer and more like some sort of bizzare savant who is kind of obsessed with the 80's and sexual innuendo, and likes talking about it over videogames.

Edit: On the plus side he is markedly better at the games he plays than Lewis, Duncan, or Simon. He isn't very good at them, but he's still better than they are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Agent Interrobang posted:

I find Josh funny, but I also have to just roll my eyes at them because what they consider 'terrible design' baffles me entirely sometimes. I can understand picking on some of the Assassin's Creed games, Revelations and 3 in particular, but they picked out AC2 to heap scorn on? Also them ragging on Alan Wake like it's an incompetent effort is just :psyduck:

I haven't played Alan Wake but the LPs made it looks like a pretty competent game... Unless the controls are unbearably stiff I can't imagine why someone would object to it, it's a quite unique, superbly acted, and seemingly well polished third person shooter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dickey Butts posted:

Shotgun Butterfly has a weird and stupid name, but a great sense of what an LP should be. That he has less than 100 views on most of his videos is ridiculous, in my opinion. He's currently working on an LP of Hotline Miami, and he's completed an excellent LP of Just Cause 2 that is really more of a love note. He's got all the SA chops in terms of good editing and proper equipment, but he obviously puts most of his work into his commentary. Highly scripted, they come across more as video essays than LPs, and it's to their benefit. If you like informative but funny LPs from someone who obviously loves the game their showing off, I couldn't recommend him more. He also has a series called "Should you get" where he does brief previews that are also worth watching.

This guy is actually really loving good, I honestly can't understand why he has such low viewer counts, hopefully this will fix it a little.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DWK posted:

My toddler was sat with me when I was watching Arthur de Wolfe play scribblenauts once. He loved the little man jumping around and creating things out of thin air (and there may have been a sighting of Father Christmas which is always exciting when you're 3). I do feel like I might have created a monster though because he had no real idea what video games were before that evening, now he wants to help daddy play GTA V and gets quite upset that he isn't allowed.

Arthur's a pretty good LPer for kids, I'd say. I doubt kids would get all the jokes but he's quite laid back and makes a lot of jokes about the game, and doesn't go into the tasteless stuff a lot of LPers do.

Aside from a bit of cussin' which I grew up with anyway so I never really thought about it being something kids shouldn't be exposed to, you could do a lot worse.

Though no LP is really going to be 'for children' really, in the sense that it's highly filtered development-assisting programming guaranteed not to get your kid to start asking what complicated words mean.

If you want something game related for your kids to do, give them a videogame, those are actually good for developing spatial skills. Buy your kids Portal or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bobjr posted:

For all the legal action DSP said he'd ever take on various people, has he actually done any yet? I just like the idea of a lawyer talking to him and him not understanding how laws work.

"Oh my god this legal system is so bugged! The police are so bad at writing laws. Look at this! I can't even sue this guy! I'm trying to sue and it's not working, it's so bugged... *hyena laugh*"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

This is one of two times I've seen this come up in the thread since the DSP hate train got back on the rails.

I am utterly failing to understand how that changes anything at all about PDP or how I'm supposed to feel about PDP. The fact that he feels the need to tell people he gives money to charity actually makes me dislike him more for trying to use that as a way to dismiss criticism against him that he is just doing things for money.

I guess the idea is that even if he's an rear end in a top hat, he is a potentially productive one. It doesn't mean you necessarily have to like him, but just maybe the world is a better place in part because of his existence. If he donates money to charity it does technically mean that there are fewer dying children or whatever in the world because of him. Even if he's still incredibly annoying to listen to and you can make a strong argument for him being a terrible human being.

DSP lacks that redeeming quality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

I disagree with this, but it's probably getting too serious, so I will bring up one other funny thing: here's a good reason to watch your videos before publishing.

PDP decided to LP a browser game. He alt-tabbed over at one point and ... whoops, "Big tittied teen gives blowjob" and some other porn stuff was in his downloads.

DSP sorta did this same thing... except it was a movie thumbnail on his hard drive... of his girlfriend. I forget the details but apparently it was a sexy video she'd made of herself for him and well, it's in a Let's Play now.

I get the stuff about PDP just not knowing better, but he can be pretty unpleasant sometimes, I'd struggle to excuse that on grounds of ignorance/positive feedback loops and the like, but yeah, probably best not to go into that.

Also, :psyduck: seriously?

Actually, it occurs to me that I'm more confused how he can possibly manage to get a. a girlfriend and b. her to make sexy videos for him.

That's one thing that confuses me a lot, really. How do youtube celebrities have personal lives? I mean, youtube stardom is kind of getting really personal in the public eye, without the benefit of a media crew like actual celebrities have. It's really weird that people can have personal lives when the depth of their madness are recorded forever on the internet. I'm pretty sure nobody would want to sleep with me if I had hundreds of videos of me swearing at videogames on youtube while pulling faces in my webcam. Like anyone would want to sleep with you anyway!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 9, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Didn't what'shisface LordKat just straight up start masturbating once during a stream, forgetting he was streaming? You'd think if you make your living filming yourself playing videogames in front of a live audience, you'd be more careful about what you're doing and what tabs you have open at the time.

Oh god I do not want to see that...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gatz posted:

No, because, remember, we're talking about experiencing something new. Clearly, that can be done by watching/reading a let's play of a game you haven't played. If planescape: torment is considered to be one of the best written video games, there's not much of a difference between reading an LP of it compared to reading a well written fantasy novel.

On another level, you can experience something new even if you have already played the game, under the right conditions. Girgast is a game developer, and he supposedly dissects Cold Fear in his LP of it (word of mouth from Lazyfire since I haven't watched it).

Not necessarily. Half the reason I like LP is to experience games I've never have, and probably never will play. That's a good thing certainly. But the other half of the reason is because it allows me to see how other people experience games I've already played.

There was a way I heard it put, I think it was something like 'passive multiplayer' or something? The idea that you can take a singleplayer game, but let's playing it allows it to take on a multiplayer component, it's interesting to see the experience from someone else's perspective. Playing games multiplayer can be a lot of fun, and that passive multiplayer aspect to LP is a strong part of it.

It can make a game more fun if you play it, enjoy it, and then see how someone else plays it and enjoys it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

Anything you can recommend specifically from Yogscast? I keep hearing about them, but never gave it a whirl myself.

Their Civ5 games are quite good. As are their 'The Walls' matches which is a sort of PvP minecraft mode.

Their actual minecraft series depends on... well... how much you like watching people play minecraft, really. If that sounds boring to you it'll be pretty boring, they don't do anything amazing with the formula, they just do it without being a bunch of dickheads which is more than you can say for a lot of minecraft LP.

They're a bit like the 2 best friends guys in that they obviously get along quite well and it can be fun to listen to them shoot the poo poo while playing games. For me my general appraisal would be that while they aren't spectacularly good, you can't really call them bad by any reasonable measure, which is very impressive given their popularity, video output, and running time.

Edit: Also yeah they do quite a lot of charity broadcasting which is commendable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 16, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if this is just sort of a necessary evil you have to do on YouTube because the market is flooded with Let's Play. It's "gaming the system" (the likes, anyway - they make you bubble up in YouTube's search algorithm) but I guess if you want people to see your video?

I don't know, I don't see myself doing it, but I'm starting to begrudge people less.

I personally spend a lot of my time forgetting that the like button exists, so I can see why people do it. I figure it's something that people who aren't hard-wired to the facebooks might have an issue with forgetting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Just skipping through the video you can see his face, no, his whole BODY in various exaggerated poses.

Here's my ticket to superstardom: Pick a stupid gmod map and just gurgle mucus for twenty minutes while flapping my arms

At least he's a method actor?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

inthesto posted:

Is he really that popular? I've never heard anyone say anything positive about DSP, even in the dregs of YouTube comments. If anything, his fame comes from being widely hated, rather than anyone actually enjoying his content.

Really, the fact that he makes a living off of what he does is more a testament to the argument that advertising is horrible and it needs to be burned to the ground.

DSP is LP reality television.

You don't watch it because you like the people, you watch it because you enjoy watching a feckless wreck of a human being be so on camera.

Or, if you're me, you watch the edited highlight reel with the peanut gallery spliced over the top of it and silly music edited in when you're really bored.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Tid [pronounced like Cid]-us [use without an e]

Tidd-ooze?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I'd just like to restate that I never watched the video to check and instead made up a hypothetical pronunciation that no one who reads above a first grade level would come up with.

So you probably got it completely right. DPS can't read, as evidenced by most of his playthroughs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going to recommend kikoskia in general. His commentary is fairly solid and he does some really really entertaining tabletop RPG games.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Samiz posted:

I've seen him recommended before and I started watching a little of his Mount & Blade let's play. He doesn't LP any game I'd enjoy to watch right now but perhaps his Deus Ex: Invisible War LP; is it any good?

I haven't actually watched that because I played DE:IW and it's... not really an experience I wish to repeat.

I'll have a quick look and see if it's his usual style.

Edit: From the looks of it it's his normal style so I would say 'yes, as long as you don't find his habit of replying to dialogue incredibly annoying'.

I think it's some sort of verbal tic, grates on me a little bit, but otherwise I'd probably compare him to Your Evil Twin on SA, possibly in part because they're both competing in the incredibly English world championship.

I mostly watch his RPG stuff, and occasionally use his minecraft LP as a sleep aid, but his other stuff isn't too bad, fairly informative and thorough in his playthroughs and usually good at the games too. Just like I said, he tends to reply to dialogue for some reason, so I favor his stuff that doesn't have ingame dislogue.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 12, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

I just need to emphasise that this is a thing somebody wrote:

quote:

Hitora - The leader of Germania. Once an artist, now forced into politics. She is sometimes an arrogant girl, often sweet and sour, but her cuteness shines through. Her dream is to unite all of Europa under one banner, to prevent any countries being divided up over treaties. Based loosely on Adolf Hitler.

Somebody looked at Hitler, and thought 'cuteness shines through, is pro european unity'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Samiz posted:

I miss when everyone put love and care into their let's plays and didn't do it because of revenue and hope of being famous. This is why I like Chuggaaconroy, even though I don't watch a lot of him anymore. He actually talks about the game and everything and is actually good at the games he plays instead of just screaming at a video game for "humour". The fact that he now makes money off of it hasn't caused him to go all "GOTTA PLAY HAPPY WHEELS AND MAKE MONEY". Same with One F Jef (channel name Jefmajor). He also sticks to what's now called "classic" let's playing as well as playing a lot of sandbox games

Jef is pretty good if you want that sort of LP yeah. Depends a lot on whether you find him grating personality wise but he seems to only be able to LP stuff he actually likes playing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

your evil twin posted:

Hahaha! You've made me check out his stuff, and I can see what you mean. :britain:

I guess you could say that I'm like Kikoskia... without his annoying habit of replying to dialogue. And he does an update every day, while I update... occasionally.

He had better not be giggling while vaporizing/electrocuting/incinerating people. I've got that poo poo trademarked. :colbert:

You both have similar enthusiastic commentary which I like.

But I think we can safely say there is probably nobody in the world capable of matching your level of glee where energetic murder is concerned.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Samiz posted:

Speaking of Brits, what are your opinions on the Yogscast and their videos?

For me they do some good stuff, Sjin does some really excellent minecraft builds, the yogscast civ games are quite fun to watch, as are some of their minecraft series if you like a bunch of friendly folks bullshiting while playing games.

All the different members do things a bit differently so if you have a look through them you'll probably find something you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

djw175 posted:

Just talking about Simon and Lewis, they're a bit dumb but it's a thing I can just turn off my brain and watch. Plus they do tons of charity stuff which is always good.

Branching out, I really like Duncan. I like Sjin, too, but he needs someone else to play off of. I can't stand Sips for some reason.

Sips grates on me too. His commentary seems to consist mostly of 80's pop culture references and ricky gervais-esque awkward sex jokes.

A lot of yogscast stuff isn't really let's play, it's more 'videogame centric entertainment show' or something, it's like a let's play but definitely quite different.

• Locked thread