Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jamesman posted:

Markiplier when he's not in character comes off as a pretty enjoyable guy to watch. I kind of wish he would drop the whole "Pewdiepie Junior" act and do his gaming thing as himself because then he might have something watchable.

This is basically exactly what I think. I was legitimately disappointed in his videos when I first found them because I liked his voice and he seemed like he would be fun, but then he started with the silly voices and screaming and frankly not-that-good jokes. I was also irritated because I was trying to find LPs of games and mods like Black Snow and kept finding PDP clones (or PDP himself), when I just wanted someone who could LP it sanely and calmly.

quote:

He'd also probably be much less popular so that's doubtful.

See though, he's already gotten some popularity. He's at the point now where if he makes a gradual change to his style over time, bringing himself down a notch into something more calm and properly thought out, he has enough of a fanbase that he won't just disappear from loss of viewers. He's not really in the precarious early stage where he has to make something of himself or die out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Masked Faceless posted:

Didn't his house burn down a while back?

Yeah, back in January. As far as I know, just about everything was lost except for his and his mom's clothes, their phones and wallets, her medication, and I think his DS. I think he bought another new PS3 almost immediately after.

It's just a bit disappointing that Markiplier performs the way he does. He does appeal to a rather low common denominator, but you can tell that he's way ahead of PDP in terms of potential quality.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bobjr posted:

Yeah, someone like Markiplier or NorthernLion could probably review games in the future, but I can't see Pewdiepie doing the same. The former are professional enough where they could probably make decent reviews without making their fanbase go "They're selling out/not funny anymore", but with Pewdiepie I can't see him getting more from professional or any reviews at all. Even when he gets a game early it's less "First look at the game/review" and more "Look how wacky I am playing this game".

Frankly, I can't see PDP doing much of anything that's not what he's doing right now. Even if he's capable of more, he's tainted my opinion of him so much that he's permanently branded in my mind as "screaming European rape joke guy." Yes, even though he stopped the rape jokes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

General Ironicus posted:

This is your reminder that we are hosting a panel on LP at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo on Sunday morning. And a big thank you to the people who submitted questions for the Q&A portion. Please join us for video game church if you are able: http://c2e214.mapyourshow.com/5_0/sessions/sessiondetails.cfm?ScheduledSessionID=11AB

Unfortunately, I happen to be in Florida. I won't be anywhere near the northern states for another few weeks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think what would really help Phil's LPs would be a co-commentator. Not some friend on a Skype call, but an actual person sitting on the couch next to him who knows the game properly and points out all his mistakes. Unlike an internet argument, Phil can't just mute the guy and ignore him to avoid looking bad, while the guy can point out his stupidity right to his face until he finally learns in a Pavlovian manner to accept advice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

You're still only solving half the problem. You can give Phil the best advisers on the planet, but that means nothing if Phil is too incompetent to actually follow through with said advice. One famous example is in his Demon's Souls LP where the chat told him to fight the Fat Officials with melee so you don't have to worry about the fireball attacks. He promptly died cause he sucks at Souls games, and then immediately started calling the chat idiots for giving him "bad advice".

Also, Phil would never admit that something is his fault, co-commentator or not. Every time he gets stuck at something, he truly believes that it's because of lovely game design and starts trash-talking the devs.

See, that's why the co-commentator is actually sitting next to him. Because Phil would be completely unable to get away from the criticism through virtue of the internet, so the person on the couch could slap him upside the head and dog him until he gets cowed into either changing his tactics or rage quitting LP.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure Phil could just tell at the person to get out of his house.

Appropriate application of dope slaps will solve that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hoppeduppeanut posted:

Jesus gently caress.

How does one person make that many videos complaining about how video games are 'buggy' and getting mad about them, even if it is a stupid gimmick? How does anyone make that many videos and not get bored as hell about it?

Honestly, I'm not even sure how to make that many videos. Like, even if you're pretty crappy at it and don't bother with any editing, you still need to spend time playing and uploading. If it only took him 1 hour to make each of his videos (including the time it took to wait for it to upload to Youtube), it would take a little under 3 years. 3 years of doing nothing that does not involve recording, editing, or uploading a video.

How do you accomplish that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

Ready for the kicker? He does. Sorta.

If you watch the end of one video and the beginning of the next, there's sometimes a gap. I have no idea what he decides to keep. To be frank, I'm not even sure it's a manual thing. It makes no sense what he leaves in and what he doesn't. I think maybe his camcorder just had some downtime when it saved one file to the next and he was like "whatever".

He says he's been doing this since 2008, I think. So six years = over 4000 videos a year, which means 11-12 A DAY. This is probably the real reason he didn't want to learn Premiere at the behest of his fans or switch from camcorder to direct capture: he actually did not have the spare time to take a break to keep his insane amount of output.

It's not like Premier is even difficult to learn. I taught myself how to use it when I got tired of a "professional" videographer loving up a project and I decided that I would just do it myself. The same night I downloaded it, I got a rough cut of the video I wanted from the raw footage and I had never actually done in-depth editing before. It's not like DSP is making very complicated videos that would take more than a few minutes of effort to cut together.

The thing is, Phil doesn't need the gigantic output for anything except ad revenue. A regular release schedule is good for your viewership (better than dumping a huge load of content with long intervals between or sporadic dribbles), but even just two or three a week is enough to keep your fanbase satisfied unless your fanbase is made up of terrible, greedy children (then again....).

I think literally the only reason he needs such a huge amount of videos is because, as you said, the sheer number of monetized videos helps make up for the relatively mediocre fanbase size.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Soop posted:

Having not had much exposure to DSP other than Slowbeef mimicking him in that Dark Souls stream and the Retsupurae collab video, I watched the first two minutes of that. I figured the whole thing on the part of people making those was a parody where they exaggerated somewhat how bad his commentary can be.

How wrong I was. :suicide:

"How do you leave? How do you leave?

How do you leave?"

"Oh, I just pressed a random button and it just randomly brought me up here?"

It's really not an exaggeration. The parody is exactly like him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eulisker posted:

The difference is reality tv is 99% scripted and this train wreck is supposedly real.

I don't think I'd believe him even if he came out and said "DSP was all a joke! I'm really a nice guy who's good at video games and bathes! You all got trolled!"

How many people have tried to pull that bullshit to try and save face? Even Chris-Chan himself made a video like that once.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, I guess you've got to force it if you're trying to make a name for yourself. Of course, much like Peter "Snakebite" Wright, you end up looking like a complete twat when you're trying to force a gimmick in order to stand out from the crowd.

The best way to make a name for yourself is to just be good at the job. A good catchphrase evolves naturally from your own vocabulary, fanbase, and behavior.

Take Nerd Cubed, for example. He opens every video with "Hello prrrrrcrastinator!" and ends with "...and terrah!" However, if you look back through his history of videos and making webcomics, you'll notice that "procrastinator" was something he just called his viewers and eventually came to be the name of his fanbase, and he just used it as his own verbal tic before it became a recognizable part of his content. He didn't intentionally create a catchphrase to be noticed by, but one evolved through his content.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

inthesto posted:

What "successful" let's players have catchphrases in the first place? Where does the idea of having a stock phrase being am acceptable substitute for a personality come from?

Nerd Cubed (Daniel Hardcastle) starts and ends all his videos with the same line, but that's all that could be considered "catchphrases". He does have other repeats in his vocabulary, but they seem more like just his verbal tics or common phrasings rather than intentionally slipping the phrases in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I don't think sign-ons and sign-offs count as catchphrases considering that everybody uses them. Saying "Hello" and "Goodbye" to your friends is just about the same thing, after all. Using the same intro and exit is simply a matter of habit and it's only when someone intentionally tries to be unusual that it becomes a catchphrase (and usually an annoying catchphrase for the same reason).

So by that criteria, Joel Hodgeson saying "Welcome to the Satellite of Love" is not a catchphrase, but Trace Beaulieu's "Push the button, Frank" is.

Dan does have some phrases that are specific enough to be listed on his TV Tropes page, but again, they seem less like catchphrases and more like it's just his manner of speaking and particular word choices that he happens to use. Like saying "Well done, brain" when he says something bizarre or giving a really obviously false statement with "True story" at the end of it. It's done with a natural flow and it basically just sounds like he says that kind of stuff in real life when you chat with him.

Part of what attracted me to Dan's channel is not only that he actually has a good sense of humor, but all of his dialogue flows naturally without being repetitive and terrible. It's the kind of improvised dialogue that flows well enough and has so little dead air and "ums" that it sounds scripted, but he's just quick enough to throw this out off the top of his head.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

We'd IM each other "AHHHHHHHH!!!!" randomly for days after and it'd crack me the gently caress up.

Somehow, the idea of the Ridley voice randomly popping up in my everyday life is just hilarious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

muike posted:

You just made that sound really funny actually

Yeah, Sad Hoshi actually sounds pretty good when you write it like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

Which reminds me that I learned that PPD is going to be a speaker on Swedish radio as part of their annual summer speaker thing. :suicide:

Those poor Swedish radio listeners.

He's going to scream and their cars will just all explode.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

There's actually moments where I prefer the black bars. I've seen some pretty wacky things done to prevent those from appearing! Like showing parts of the screen, except a different color, or blurred out. To me, it's just really annoying, and distracts from the video.

Although, maybe that was the intended effect. I could use a distraction from the screeching scarecam.

Oh wow, that video was more awful than I would imagine.

How'd you find it so quickly? It's only a day old.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samtron75v1 posted:

Whenever I hear about people trying to make YouTube their job I just have to stop and think what exactly they are thinking. It's such a volatile source of income even today, and what is gonna happen five, ten, twenty years down the road? They can't keep that boat afloat forever. They can't exactly retire with a pension even if they were making the equivalent of a minimum wage job from ad-revenue. It's worked for a few people, it can't work for everyone. It would be like going into music expecting to be able to live the rest of your life off of the pittance you scrape in.

I think they just figure that it's easy. Making LPs is something that can be done (naked, if you so wish) in front of your computer at odd hours of the evening. Even for other YouTube video content, you work mostly on your own schedule and there's very little cost that goes into the initial content; most LPers can get away with a mic, editing software, and the games, while vloggers add on a camera that can film at least in 720p.

What they don't see is the sheer amount of effort that's needed to actually keep up with it. Daniel Hardcastle has talked about it a few times, and he literally does not take breaks. He gets usually about one vacation per year, because otherwise he has to spend every single day working in order to keep up the pace. And that's for the ones who are actually successful and can sustain themselves on their video content; most who attempt will fail entirely or have to supplement it with a "real job".

It's sort of a childlike view of it, thinking that they can just make money off of what they do right now when they're unemployed as long as they record themselves screaming when they do it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roar posted:

Nine times out of ten, if I see a game that looks super fun, I'll stop watching the LP and play it myself. I've never actively NOT bought a game because I saw an LP of it unless it's a game I never intended to buy in the first place.

I literally watched an LP of Max Payne 3 and Black Ops 2 all the way through and still bought the games because of how fun they looked. I still regularly replay Max Payne 3, to the point where I've beaten the game three times and I'm aiming for a fourth on the hardest difficulty. It's just a good enough game on its own merits that even watching someone else play it isn't terrible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mcclay posted:

So, I hate to ask but are there any good The Forest LP's yet? I know Devil Dog Gamer is doing one but hes only got the first video out, which was enough to interest me. The facecam crowd has dug its claws into the game so I want to know if theres any good LPs out there. Because really, that game looks good as hell, if its LPed by a good commentator.

I have yet to find one. There was one a few days after the initial alpha release where the guy wanted to show off the kidnapping after your first "death", but he insisted on actually fighting and killing all of the enemies he saw and then going "Guess I'm just too good for this game :smug:" (actual quote) while complaining about how much he needs to lose a fight to show the content off.

He also pulled a dick move and titled the video as a walkthrough when it was just a random "wander around and kinda do stuff" sandbox LP with zero guide components.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

This is a thing? People are talking about DSP's couch?

What is special about this couch?

I keep reading "couch" as something else and it's terrible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Buttass posted:

There's a "Couch Street" in Portland, Oregon, and that's how you pronounce it. The way you keep thinking.

Why?

Who the gently caress can say. I'm FROM Portland and I don't even loving know, so...

Actually if I skimmed past it I saw "crotch".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

. And checking his past broadcasts, he usually seems to try and play through games in one sitting, if they're less than 24 hours to beat, apparently.

Well, at least we know that he has nothing better to do with his time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's always been a general distaste for "selling out" in every form of entertainment, though music has often gotten the brunt of it (probably due to having a large underground/indie segment of fans). A lot of fans of media, especially the elitist pro-independent and pro-art ones, hate the idea of an entertainer or artist "going corporate" or "selling out" because they feel that their material is inferior if driven by money rather than by the love of the art.

For the most part, accusations of selling out are a lot of bullshit. Extremely few artists do what they do purely for love of the art with no efforts to profit from it, and even artists who do their stuff for the love of it want to make money; the ideal for any artist, be he an actor, painter, musician, or game developer, is that they can make a living off of doing what they love. Which is why they usually ask to be paid or do work on commission instead of just doing entirely pro bono work.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Genocyber posted:

Why would it be different if they were journalists? Video game journalism is journalism for a silly hobby and thus being unbiased doesn't really matter.

A silly hobby that supports a multi-billion-dollar media form consumed by uncountable millions of people across the planet?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dan Hardcastle and I think Emma Blackery (the one who made the "gently caress You Google+" song) have basically outright said that they only use YouTube because it's the biggest video platform and there's basically no way for them to make a living off of their stuff at this point without taking advantage of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

It seems to consider the entire uploaded videos page as a single playlist, and plays them all in reverse order.

Which is hideously stupid. I tried to watch the uploaded videos of a channel in the uploaded order and had to keep intentionally cycling backwards in the playlist instead of letting it go by itself.

I don't even know why they would do that. Does YouTube just not understand what "chronological order" means? Do they think all the videos are uploaded by the channel creator backwards?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

I think I'm the only one around who still watches stuff on TV where you get five minutes worth of ads for every 25 minutes worth of content. Twenty seconds honestly seem like nothing, as do nine ads you can each skip after five seconds over the course of one hour of content.

I mean sure the whole midroll thing was/is a bug and should be fixed and all that, but when I heard about this I thought the problem was bigger than pressing Skip Ad a couple more times than usual.

Also, the ads are how the people make their money from the content. I don't mind ignoring the video for 20 seconds to pay a guy for his work.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Testekill posted:

So I don't really pay attention to Sandcastle drama. Valkhorn is just a wannabee youtube superstar who came her for "criticism" but only wants people to enforce his ego right?

gently caress if I know. I spent like, an hour playing Turbo Dismount and came back to this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

Even then: someone managed to get Chip Cheezum's phone number once and call his house.

I don't even know how you would get enough evidence from his videos and Twitter and such to find out his real name, let alone his phone number. Unless his name really is "Chip Cheezum" and that's what he puts for everything.

I hope that's not true

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That reminds me, Nerd Cubed did a video recently on Dark Souls 2. He hated the first one, but he picked up the sequel for cheap and put 30 hours into it before coming to a conclusion. That conclusion being: this game was designed for Klingons. He said it's the kind of game that appeals to a guy who would chew his own leg off before going into battle just to make it more of a challenge.

His video did go over a lot of legitimate flaws with it and bad design decisions, which is why it ends up being more entertaining than any "X gets angry at a game" video. And he did still get a little enjoyment out of it, but he did put in a ton of time into forming an opinion instead of just playing for 30 minutes on a facecam and throwing the controller.

What reminded me of his video is that he also brought up the lock-on. He doesn't even really remember which button on the PS3 controller it is because he never used it. He found that he tended to roll in a circle around enemies when locked on instead of away from them to dodge attacks, so he just stopped using it. He also discovered that it was really easy to just trick enemies into falling off cliffs instead of fighting them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think Dan's general opinion on Dark Souls 2 is that it doesn't deserve the epic amounts of praise heaped on it. It has some good parts, but it tries too hard to appeal to the gamers who want the ultimate challenge to be fun to anyone outside of that group. He also pointed out a lot of bad game design decisions, like the game giving no information about the covenant you're about to join and placing Victor's Stone (which does nothing but make the game harder) right at the starting hub area where it's easy for newbies to accidentally screw themselves over by basically increasing the difficulty on them. And you can't even level up unless you speak to one particular NPC (who's not clearly marked and is standing a little out of the way) several times, which you likely won't have much of a reason to do. And it's way too easy in some areas to cheese the game by just dodging until the enemy flings himself off a cliff, which you get the XP for.

Basically, he feels that the game goes too far toward the Sierra Adventure Game level of difficulty, where you end up screwing yourself over if you try to play without staring at the wiki or a guide the entire time. Which isn't what he finds fun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Except the game gives you three warnings about joining the covenant which should make someone pause for at least a moment. Plus there's the Way of the Blue via the much easier to find Saulden, which is much more beneficial to join for a new player.

You literally didn't even address the point: the game doesn't actually tell you what it's going to do beyond "Begin an arduous path." He thought it was just flavor text for the game, since he already knew it was a really hard game and it seemed like a way you would start the quest. The warnings don't even do anything but make you hit "Yes" three times, without telling you if it's going to make flaming dogs rain from the sky for all you know.

quote:

Except she's standing between the first bonfire and the monument, wearing green against a golden sky. If you're paying attention she's hard to miss.

She's standing about 50 yards away from the rest of the village on a cliffside with nothing to indicate that she's unique, and you need to talk to her unprompted multiple times before you even get the option to level up. The game never tells you that you need to do this and she doesn't seem especially unique in any way.

quote:

Except that's more work than hitting them a couple of times? It's valid in that the AI could be better, but that's kind of a general complaint for any game rather than a specific one.00

I think it's a valid complaint when the game is supposed to be extremely difficult and you end up winning hard encounters by just barrel rolling around until the AI fucks up, trips, and falls.

quote:

His video is poo poo because his confused what he dislikes with bad game design. The Souls games are games that expect you to pay attention to your surroundings and experiment. It's fine to not like that but it's not bad game design. The games are not and do not attempt to be hard (the whole summoning system should make that clear) so much as requiring effort from the player.

You know, Dan actually talked about the Dark Souls fanbase and its weirdness. I don't think he was wrong.

I don't even get how you can say "Dark Souls does not attempt to be hard and, in fact, is not hard" with a straight face.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Hey can we just all agree that the Souls games are pretty much perfect and we shouldn't tolerate people trash-talking them at all ever because they are essentially ambrosia and I mean that in the way that they are basically gifts from the gods and not that they're some sort of food and that you should eat them because they're not food and eating them would make you sick because humans can't digest that crap unless you bought digital copies in which case whatever you can't eat them anyways because they don't really exist.

The real problem with Dark Souls fans is that the sarcasm and serious fan posts are identical.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bringing back Nerd Cubed, he likewise disabled comments almost as soon as Google+ integration hit them. He got hit by the initial spam wave of "Bob and his tank" and other poo poo made by people taking advantage of the removed character limit and his attempts to stop it got ignored, so he just turned off all comments and now directs people to his Subreddit if they want to discuss his videos.

The way he sees it, the YouTube comment section is a cesspool that provides little to his channel. I think the big theory is that keeping the discussion on a different website that has some level of user moderation (through the downvoting system hiding bad or spam comments) and requires a separate account means that spam and trolling requires more effort than just scrolling down, bashing the keyboard, and clicking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

Do comments actually affect search rankings? Or is it the hope that "word of mouth" will help spread the video to more people?

I don't think comment numbers affect anything as much as raw viewership does.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Youtube comments I can understand disabling.

Ratings, I think it's way oversensitive to disable.

Nobody has ever disabled ratings unless they knew the video would be hated. Which should tell you something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meaning, I've never seen any video with ratings disabled that wasn't poo poo or extremely controversial (to put it lightly). Generally if you come across a video with ratings disabled, it means that the author knew that it would get a massive number of downvotes (probably because it's a poo poo video) and doesn't want it visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

Oddly enough, downvotes do help search rankings.

Wait, as in more downvotes get you higher on the list?

• Locked thread