Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Welp. Dicked around with the system clock a little and now all my guys are locked out for 24 hours. I don't get any healing packs for 18 hours. Could just bump the clock ahead another day I suppose, but it seems like they're tinkering with it to avoid people using the system clock trick to revive their heroes faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

I'm getting sloppy blazing through easy fights. "Haha, a level 4 Storm and level 3 Black Widow, this'll be easyOH GOD THOR HAS 3000 HIT POINTS."

I had an ugly loss to hilarious ping-ponging Storm passives.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

New Leaf posted:

This is getting loving stupid. I logged in after 2 hours and lost 147 points. It's going to take me forever to make that up. :bang:

Yeah I'm done. Ranked up to 800ish, went to sleep, woke up down over a hundred points. Not going to bother till next event/they tweak the system.

Kind of bored with the game already. Puzzle & Dragons this is not.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Welp. Clawed my way up to #1 with 290 ranking. Time to watch that ranking tumble.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

delfin posted:

It helps that even a very good enemy team is severely gimped by being on defense. They can't use boosts, they can't target specific opponents like a human can, and they use the brain-dead CPU AI that has no idea what to prioritize.

It's really wacky how random the AI is. The AI will usually match four over an obvious match five and free turn. Sometimes you get ridiculous things though like when Storm's board shuffle ability yielded enough greens and free turns to let the AI use the ability five times in a row giving the AI 35+ of every color and stunning my entire team. (I still won due to a major level disparity, but it was incredibly close)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah I stopped bothering at rank 1 a few days ago. Logged in with 55 minutes to go at rank 50something, clawed my way back to 35 before I started getting the "you have no internet!" message. Could have easily added another 200+ points to my score with enough time, the battles weren't particularly challenging and giving 35+ points each.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

New Leaf posted:

Ugh, I got in for a second, the "Claim your prize" screen came up, with my "top 10" Captain America and I crashed again. I have to go to bed, but I better have a goddamn Captain America tomorrow morning.

Yeah same thing just happened to me. Was just about to tap the claim button when I got a "Comm Link Disrupted" message. This game is a loving mess.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

New Leaf posted:

Did you actually get the cover? Because I sure as hell didn't. Sent them a bug report. Ugh.

Yeah I ended up getting mine after a while. Now I just need another 35-40 or so more.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MeramJert posted:

Nice, got up to 4th place and >800 points in the arena. 2 hours left, lets see how far I fall.

Got up to 2nd in my bracket with four hours remaining and got a severe case of "meh, whatever". I'll probably miss out on whatever the good reward card is. At least I got the Cap cover at 800 points.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah I think I'm pretty much done with PVP. Was 2nd place with three hours remaining, went to get a bite to eat, dropped 142 points and fell into the top 50. The PVP isn't difficult, it's trivial to skip till you find an easy target worth a goofy amount of points and obliterate them, but it is mindnumbingly dull farming points/losing them almost as fast as you accrue them.

Maybe they'll find a way to turn the PVP a little more interesting in the future.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

The 200 player brackets are still far better than the superbrackets.

Yeah the smaller brackets help a bit. I was able to grind out a good reward in the last one, I just can't work up the enthusiasm to grind that hard at the end to maintain rank. Maybe if the matches were more interesting, but it's just hitting skip till I find something trivial that gives more points than it should. There isn't any incentive to take a challenging/interesting battle.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Eddain posted:

Does anyone bother leveling up two of the same card? Like, your first card is completely maxed and you're just working on the second copy for your backup PVP team or something?

I'm thinking of doing a second Black Widow cause of how ridiculous the costs get on her abilities once maxed. I rarely end up with enough AP to use the AP steal anymore.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
With the way events work nothing should be sold really. Even bad characters may end up useful due to ridiculous damage bonuses or character restrictions. Bagman is highly likely to be a featured character in next week's PVP event since it's one of the top rewards. Just feed all the covers to one main unlevelled Bag Man and only sell extras when a skill is maxed.

If you're using all your free premium currency for extra inventory slots you should be fine.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Thundercracker posted:

How well do you have to place in the Dark Avengers tournament to get a prize once it's done? I'm about 9-10 place in my bracket right now. Is it just a Moonstone prize?

Top 1-2 get a Classic Spiderman, below that you're getting Bag-Man. Ranks 3-10 get all three skills of Bag-Man. If you drop to 51-100 you'll get a Purple + Black Venom.

The trend seems to be the rewards are useful in the next arena, so I'd guess next week is a Spider-Man themed one and Bag-Man may be useful.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

"Black Bo[X posted:

" post="421202936"]
I wonder if they'll scale back the FB reward sharing. I wasn't able to play yesterday and when I fired it up this morning it took me 3 minutes to go through all the 'Special Delivery!' messages.

I've been ignoring the Facebook thing all along but a pile of free levelling currency sounds nice. Added my unused game-linking spam account to it right now, is there anything else I have to do?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Erebus posted:

I've been resisting the whole Facebook thing too, but gently caress it. I made an account and added myself to the Google doc (which is here if anyone's looking for it like I was). I can always use more iso.

Thanks for the tip. Added myself to the spreadsheet too. Since taking on a "don't sell anything, feed duplicates and keep crappy characters around for the inevitable event that requies them" policy I have way too many things to level and never enough ISOs. Freebies should help a lot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
This game ends up being hilariously bullshit at times. Just watched a defender match three which turned into a four match, which turned into five straight match five criticals wiping my whole team. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Nice. Managed to finish top ten in my bracket so I got all three Bag-Man skills I wanted. I'm guessing they'll give him some absurd damage bonus eventually in a Spider-Man related tournament so it's nice to have him handy after I vendored all the mission reward Bag-Man covers.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MeramJert posted:

I got top 10 as well, so now I have a 2/3/2 bag man. He still sucks

He's awful, but eventually we'll get an event where he gets a huge damage bonus and deals hundreds of damage on a normal match.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah it seems rather likely we'll get some MMO-style balancing where the underpowered characters get buffed down the road. Vendor the lowly Bag-Man at your own peril.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I kind of wish I had a Loki just to use as a hilarious Daken/Wolverine counter. Convert enemy strike tiles into protect tiles for me, and enemy protect tiles into strike tiles for me? Sounds good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It's amazing how different the brackets are. In mine the top player has barely over 700 points, I was number two with around 630 and there were only a couple others over 600. I don't think I could tank hard enough to get the Thor covers if I tried.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Chuds McGreedy posted:

You could always laugh all the way to the bank with your max power Bag-Man! Hey, Juggernaut had his own tourny...

This is so happening. Plus with the MMO style balancing the game is likely to get expect Bag Man to see some changes in a patch.

Someday Bag-Man will be a 300% damage monster! You'll see!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I couldn't tank my rating down to Thor territory so I decided to go for #1-2, ended up in first place with 825 points roughly 100 points ahead of #2. Everyone else in the bracket was in the 600 range. Getting into a weak bracket makes such a huge difference.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Buffed Thor? Jeez, you have got to be kidding me. I chose to max Storm first then Thor. I'm in for a world of pain this week. My Thor is only 4/3/2 right now. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Nice of them to put Classic Storm in the premium currency Thor sale and both Modern and Classic Storm in the purple crystals one. Kind of makes that Lightning token reward worthless.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I just realized this Thor tournament should be comedy gold. The damage buff should be enough to trigger Storm's passive off normal matches. Just shove babby Thor out front and watch the triggers fly.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

Because no one has anything else. I wish they would stop being to stingy with 2* that aren't Cstorm, Thor, and too a less degree wolverine and daken. I want to use hawkeye modern, magneto now, bullseye, etc. The game will be a lot more fun when people have different parties and you need to adjust strategies.

Edit: I'm going to take it easy this Thornament, I don't need any more Thor and Loki and x-force wolverine as rare enough I might never get to use them. I'll probably try for 900 points for that sweet sweet iso and try to get some more cstorms but if I don't in rank I don't care.

Yeah I desperately wish I had more Magneto Now covers. Even capped at level 16 with only two abilities he's insane paired with Classic Storm. Three Blue tiles anywhere I want on the board? Hell yes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

I just noticed that Thor's hammer in the new animation for his green power is all wrong and it's going to bug the hell out of me everytime I see it.

Your matches last long enough to use the green power? :confused:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm all out of PVE rewards to farm, woo. Only took about 6-7 Ragnarok kills to get all his rewards. The fight isn't too bad with Thor/Classic Storm/Venom. Venom's cheap stuns and high enough HP to eat a couple big hits triggering Storm's tempest to fuel the Thor chain helped a lot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Heh, two nefarious tokens from the lightning round. Hawkeye and Venom.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Not surprised they're making changes, it's really hard to justify spending money on this game. Even with the reduced requirements you need way too many covers to max out a character for the hero points lottery to be worth spending on. Getting up to the low 20s in storage space wasn't too hard and at least right now we don't need much more.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I love how any team with a Thor and no Classic Storm is pretty much a free win in these Lightning Tournaments. Match an environment tile, Loki gets whacked, bad guys fall down. Thor gets a bunch of free red AP to start chaining red/yellow hammers. Repeat as necessary.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, better strategy: Use the swamp map and match up everything with your villain! The minor boost can be used for +5 AP everywhere. The major one? Turns all green and environment tiles red, drains all enemy AP. It's a red hammer smashing bonanza.

Yeah swamp tiles are amazing in lightning rounds. They shove Loki out front to eat hits to trigger Storm's passive and generate huge amounts of free AP to start Thor chains too. So good.

Edit for clarity: The reason high level Thors make this so much easier is they deal enough damage on a normal tile match to trigger Storm's passive when hitting Loki/whatever free villain you get. It's common to get back-to-back Storm triggers *and* a use of the swamp tiles +5 all AP in the first two turns of a match. Makes mopping up that 4-5k leftover Thor a snap. Super quick fights too.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 14, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
God I love Classic Storm. Earned over 8k ISO in the last lightning round and would have placed top two if not for a bad fight that ran me out of health packs near the end. Still top 10ish I believe. Shoving Loki out front chin first for 2-3 turn wins rules.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

Dont even ask about the Summers family tree.

Did they ever make something vaguely resembling sense out of the whole Cable/Stryfe thing? I stopped reading X-Men comics about 15 years ago.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm sitting on over 14k ISOs waiting on more Thor covers or enough of something else to make it worth levelling. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fritzler posted:

I need so much ISO too! How do you have so much saved up? There are at least 4 characters that I want to level up with ISO right now, and probably four more that I could level up.

I had a really good run this morning on the Loki Lightning Round that yielded roughly 8k ISO. Shoving Loki in front of a normal Thor attack to trigger Classic Storm's passive lead to a bunch of really quick wins. Held first place for about 40 minutes of it, dropped down to about 10th by the end after some bad luck and running out of health packs.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

Man I have gotten so many Thor covers today. I think I got something like 2 reds 2 yellows and a green, course I have no use for any of them :sigh:

So jealous. I still need two red, one yellow and one green to max mine. After that I dunno what to dump my ISOs into, maybe Daken since I have him at 5/4 and will be 5/5 shortly. I'd like to do Magneto Now, Bullseye or Loki but I only have 1-2 covers of each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah the suicide villains in the lightning rounds were awesome. I didn't get to play as much as I'd have liked but ended up with over 20k ISO banked after dumping 4k into Daken last night. Even got Magneto's blue power on the token draw. It'll be fun when I start to get enough covers for things like both Magnetos, Loki, Spider-Man, Black Widow Grey and others to be usable.