Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

New Leaf posted:

Thanks. I figured it was something like that, but I've redone the same Venom fight 4 times now ("A Tasty Treat") and am still sitting on 1/4 rewards. I think I got one of the Storm covers, then (4) 20 Iso8's in a row. Didn't know if I was missing some piece of the equation like completion time or number of heroes alive or something.

You can view the rewards in the lower-right of the screen that shows you the enemies - they cycle, and the one(s) you have are checked off. Saved me from wasting time on Modern Storm or Juggernaut.

I keep forgetting you can level abilities with ISO-8. That's very useful for the random draw characters. Also just got the blue skill for Iron Man off the event - now he's a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
That thing about reducing the number of 20 ISO-8 was bullshit. I've been getting way more of them since the update. Even missions that I'm 1/4 are taking like 3 or 4 attempts to get another reward.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm really liking my Daken/Classic Storm/Thor team. Daken is mostly filler, but I've got his purple up to 5 to get the two tiles, so he's pretty useful. He also actually does purple and black damage.

I find value in all three of Storm's abilities - the retaliation is incredible, the group-hit is great, and even her board-clearing ability can come through in a pinch for clearing out attack tiles, dealing a little more damage, shuffling things around and generating more AP. I just wish she were a little sturdier. Thor is a monster, though I kind of hate his green ability.

And it always bears repeating - USE YOUR BUFFS. They're really useful against those level 60 assholes.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Wow, that is a very underwhelming list for Iron Man 40. I'm almost tempted to tank just a tad to get the blue Hawkeye - I've already got one of each of his other abilities, and the blue looks like the best.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

New Leaf posted:

Anyone else notice that sometimes the computer will do nothing for many turns, then in one turn just unleash every loving ability they've got? I tend to use my powers almost immediately depending on the situation.

I also don't think I've ever seen an AI sit on powers when they're charged.

I do it all the time though - Thor's red ability especially. If the opponent has high HP, there's not much value in immediately knocking off 600 or so, but build it up for two or three uses and you drop 10-15 yellows on the board at once, giving more free matches. Even better if you also have Classic Storm's green charged by then too, since then you can take even more yellows and use Thor's yellow for ~3k in one turn. Pretty nice.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
This is a very good time to strike. Everyone without Thor selected has the level 6 one up are easy pickings.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I got a green Thor cover, but I already have it at 3 and really prefer his red and yellow abilities. At the same time, no idea how long it'll take me to get 4 more yellow covers, and he's currently at a cap of 54.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Lightning rounds are almost always worth it for at least a couple fights for the easy rewards at the bottom. I have no idea how to rank high enough for cover rewards.

On the other hand, I finally hit the 1 spot in Thornament today AND got the 1000-point reward on the same win. Got me that classic Storm green cover I've been looking for and now she's 5-3-5.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bandire posted:

I've mostly been running with Ragnarok, Grey Widow, and IM40. I'm not a big fan of IM40, but I got him up to 65 because they keep buffing him. He's a big pile of hit points at least.

Rag and Widow are fun together. Between his red skill and her purple, I can snipe multiple times a match. At level 5 it hits all enemies for a ton, so it pretty much destroys everything.

I'm the same way with Cap. None of his abilities are terribly exciting, but he's at +200% in both reinforcements and the ISO event, so it's hard not to use him, especially having gotten a couple more covers for him through the events. Now I'm torn on what build I want.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Erebus posted:

Taking a screenshot of this guy is probably all I'll be able to do with him for months.

Congrats!

I was in a good spot near the end, but got crabbed down somewhere into just the top 10. Which sucks. I would rather have gotten the three Bullseye covers than the one Iron Man 40...maybe. Oh well. I did manage to pull a Wolvy X-Force off a heroic earlier today, so now mine is at 2 covers as well.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Malt posted:

Started playing this on Steam yesterday and I guess I got lucky getting Iron Man Model 40 out of the 150 gold lottery.

Is it worth upgrading the starting Iron Man still or should I not worry about him since I have the upgraded version?

Two things:
1. Unless you're fine spending money, use the gold on increasing the number of cover slots. You'll get tokens to pull from the lotto at a decent pace, but you'll never get free slots on their own.

2. Keep upgrading the starter until you have a better replacement (probably Thor). The hero levels are capped based on the ability levels of that hero, so until you get more covers for IM40, he's stuck at level 15.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

triplexpac posted:

Ugh this Bad is Good tourney is a pain in the rear end. Not fun to play as these teams at all, seems to be such a slog.

It would still be a slog, but I think it would be more fun if Rags weren't involved. He's so overpowered that when you're reduced to the other Dark Avengers, it's pretty much impossible to overcome. Bullseye/Daken is still a fun combo.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Moonstone also has the advantage of doing red damage, which if you don't have Rags is surprisingly difficult to come by with Dark Avengers, who all are spec'd purple-black-green.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SynthOrange posted:

She's your heaviest hitter if you dont have Ragnarok for your Dark Avengers tournaments. That red power scales up very very fast.

That's what I used her for in the last one. There are so many DA characters that are black/purple, and multiple with green as the third option. She does actual damage with red matches (which is good when you're playing keepaway with red, especially against Rag) and has a power to use those tiles, even if it's not a great one.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Yeah, this scoring sucks. I cannot earn any more points in Sudan and am in 172nd with 137 points. First place in my bracket has 305.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
4 powered-up tokens = 3 adamantium slashes and a peacemaker. THAT IS NOT A POWER-UP!

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Welcome to the big leagues. If they have their poo poo together this week, have fun stomping teams into the dirt during the lightning rounds. Once I got my fourth red rag and leveled that fucker, the rest of his covers were achievable through his lightning round. Don't forget to tank a round or two before his comes up.

Rag + wolverine are just plain insane.

Really? I love having that red stockpiled to keep boosting wolvy's attack tiles, then unleashing hell when I know it'll guarantee victory. But I guess when you can make more greens so cheaply, it's not really necessary to build up the reds? I don't have a big enough Rags to play with it yet.

I'm torn on what to do with Original Widow. Maxing her purple seems like a no-brainer, but anti-grav and espionage both don't really seem to be THAT much better at 5 as opposed to 3. I've got a decent Grey Widow already, so don't know if Original will see the light of day anyway.

EDIT: Also, I'm liking my current team of Wolverine + Spidey + Grey Widow. Spidey matches purple to make defense tiles, while at the same time fueling Widow's purple, which then feeds Wolvy greens. Only problem is that black and yellow matches are mostly useless, at least until I get Spidey's yellow cover.

Vice Zoomler Aestro fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 5, 2014

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Shroud posted:

I learned two things recently:

1 - Don't kill someone if they have a 30+ Storm (Classic) with Raging Tempest (party wipe - 1000+ damage to each of my party)
1a - gently caress Storm

2 - You can skip opponents in the SHIELD simulator and events

Always take out Storm first. Like others said, it only hits hard if the team is below 50%, which they won't be if you hit her first. Plus her tile-busting abilities are somewhat dangerous, and she's quick to down due to very low HP.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

beergod posted:

So what is consensus on Captain America? His shield gimmick is interesting but I feel like he takes too much AP to get going initially. I'm also not sure if you're supposed to sort of game the shield tile to make more matches or just try to hide it so no one else hits it.

I use him sometimes when boosted, especially against henchmen. His blue stun that returns AP and can over-write countdown tiles is useful in some fights. He's not bad, but there are usually better options.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Playing through these events have made me realize I've been kind of stupid in PvP - I've really undervalued teams as a defense. Apart from shields, it might also be worthwhile to build up one of the heavy hitters like Ares or Hulk that can hurt your own team. Not great when grinding, but since the damage you take on defense doesn't mean anything, they might be a good enough deterrent to maintain rank.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

JGBeagle posted:

Got a Heroic token out of that last sub event. Snagged another Captain 'Murica. Got him now at 3/3/3, what should I focus on for him?

What delfin said - leave yellow at 3. Cap'n isn't fantastic anyway, but he's decent, especially when buffed and fighting PvE. Being able to over-write countdowns is useful. The yellow is too expensive to be worthwhile.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I still hate the non-refreshing battle values. Just beat the 230 Ares-Juggs-Yelena for 1 point.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

messagemode1 posted:

A huge part of the balance problem of the game was boosts and low AP cost heroes, as well as wolverines healing basically completely circumventing the stamina system.

The optimal move was to get 6 AP in 4 colors (really just 3 colors, red green and yellow) to start a round and it was so cheap to do so and ragnarok wolverine Thor and Spider-Man can use so many abilities with them from turn 1 that it basically didn't matter who you were facing. Pvp should have at least a significant defense strategy component even if it's passive, and there was almost none at all.

If you guys can't see how that directly resulted in 15/85/85 Thor wolverine teams and why facing basically only thors and wolverines is boring as hell I don't know what to tell you. Those balances are good for the game even if we're all spoiled on broken as he'll wolverine/rag/spidey/thor. They probably should've just removed all AP boosts or lowered them to 2 AP each instead of 3.

What's not good for the game is the reward system and the "wealth gap" and pay to win when combined with pvp. Pay to win pve is whatever but pay to win pvp is pretty lovely, even if it is profitable.

I agree with all this. Wolvy and Thor being nerfed is a good thing and in the long run we all know it. It really sucks that 75% of teams use two characters almost exclusively. Most of the other 2-stars aren't BAD, but there's little incentive to use them when Wolvy and Thor were so overpowered.

And I also agree with the "wealth gap" being a huge problem. The upside to Wolvy and Thor were how easy they were to obtain. Most non-pay players don't have reliable 3-star characters with enough covers to level sufficiently, and the only way to get them without paying tends to be placing very high in events, which is also very tough without those high-level covers. I don't know, I'll wait to see how rewards and tournaments shape up in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I defended the Wolverine/Thor nerfs because I thought Wolvy especially was still pretty solid, and it was ridiculous how everyone used them.

And they haven't been the problem. It's all the scaling PvE and the bullshit where you have to already be ahead to compete. This game needs more freebies. A roll of the dice once a week on weekly logins that ultimately lead to bagman or Captain America sucks. And I dread every new character because they all just signal one more thing I won't be able to participate in 3 days later. gently caress this game. It was so good a few months ago and now it sucks.