Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Iris got almost all of the required CW-drama (at least half a Supernatural is standard in CW contracts, though Arrow got assigned extra), leaving everyone else to be happy and dorky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

I've only watched the first episode and now my girlfriend wants to watch it all, can we get enjoyment out of it? Does it turn out alight?

They have trouble finding the line they want to walk between "serious cop drama" and "1960s Batman." For example Fish spends her early screentime trying to be Eartha Kitt and it just doesn't work. Most of the characters find their stride though, and as long as you aren't expecting something marvelous it's pretty watchable. Penguin's the star of the show, and Bruce finds a balance between "traumatized kid" and "methodical future Batman detective". Just every once in a while you get a scene that doesn't mesh with the rest of the show (and isn't supposed to be discordant) and there's one of the early episodes where it felt like two different writers were alternating scene and trying to force the show into gritty or camp.

All in all it was enough to get me to give it a chance next season, but it's not one I'm making my calender for.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Hey look, it's Lady and Mr. Wolverine from Legends of Tomorrow

Man, ya show up to a party and of COURSE someone's wearing the same outfit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Madkal posted:

Glad Gotham decided not to find a consistent tone between seasons.

Oh did that start back up tonight? I was busy watching magic tricks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It was definitely more intact than Quake's. I first thought someone got Tripp'd too, and if it turns out in the full episode that DID happen I would believe it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I decided to give Gotham another shot, I originally made it to episode 6 before bailing. I'm not on episode 12 and jesus does this poo poo every get any better?

"Better"? No, but it does get a bit more consistent. They manage to find a balance point between grit and camp while in the early stuff it feels like two different shows going on at the same time. Aside from Fish, she always feels like she's out of step with the rest of the cast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

greatn posted:

I like that they made the new TV Mr Terrific gay even though I realize they probably did that so voters would not see him as a threat to Olicity and thus immediately distrust and dislike him.

He never said he was gay, just that he had a husband. He could still be bi and derail the Olicity ship.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It retained a healthy amount of BBT's lead-in, though. If it can repeat that for the next couple of weeks it's pretty safe to say it'll be around for at least a while

If CBS's schedule is correct Supergirl is moving to 8 and BBT is moving to Thursdays.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

My girlfriend is convinced the creature in the sand storm is Death since I told her Death was a character in Marvel last week.

Well all the signs saying "Death" and Will saying it was death in that storm probably help.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Who watches things restricted by when the networks show them these days?

I do, it leaves me with "nothing's on TV" evenings where I can get a jump on my procrastination pile.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Medullah posted:

I can buy aliens, super powered super soldiers, a gamma ray infused monster, but it just crosses the line and I can only suspend my disbelief so much when a scene begins with someone rolling out of bed to answer a phone and seeing it not charging.

That's why I love Jessica Jones. A gritty, dark superhero who's phone dies repeatedly.

I find such things just as jarring (I have a bad habit of counting bullets, it never ends well.) but at the same time it's fascinating to look at where the line is. Suspension of disbelief has its own uncanny valley. Someone over on TVIV pointed out that nobody ever says "goodbye" in phone conversations and I just KNOW that's gonna bug me now too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

This was the closest in quality to a Flash episode that we have probably had so far.

I love watching Flash but it wouldn't be the internet if I could resist snarking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

It's been a while since I have seen Cap Cold's first episode, but does he actually kill multiple people at some point? That has been my only hang up with the character, since it goes against every portrayal I have seen of him so far. I've always thought of him as a villain with a strict code of honor. It would be better if I was remembering it wrong, but I feel like he definitely killed at least one cop.

His main thing is that he avoids unnecessary killing in the show. He iced one guy when finding out how fast Flash was (answer: not quite fast enough), I think the closest he got to mass-murder was the train scene, but he was pretty sure Flash could save them all while giving him cover to escape.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I think it's worth watching all of it, they recently added season 2 (after something like 2 years I think).

About time, I'd stopped checking to see if it was there yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

^^yeah. Any alternate universe episode of any show is going to be overwhelmingly indulgent, but this was OVERWHELMINGLY INDULGENT. In a good way.

ufarn posted:

So what was up with the West-Allen phone having the Justice League on speed dial? I guess this should go in the Flash thread, but I like you people better.

Who said Barry-2 wasn't a speedster? Or maybe he's Aquaman.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'm curious as to why Barry knows POW codes

Probably came up in a PBS show or something and he filed it away because nerds love neat things like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

As for the show in general, the first season is kind of rough as they didn't really know what they wanted to do and had pacing issues because the episode count kept changing. Second season is much better as they're committing to a lot of crazy stuff introducing more outlandish villains. The first half of the season had an evil billionaire who was secretly a member of the Order of Dumas causing havoc throughout Gotham by funding criminals. The second half, which just started is now about Hugo Strange (played by BD Wong) running Arkham as well as a secret lab under the asylum where's he's running experiments on people (with the implication that he's creating supervillains.)

Wong plays a better Strange than I expected, too. Not a race thing, but rather that I didn't think he was a character who could translate well to live action. Their shift from "procedural with camp Batman elements" to "camp Batman with procedural elements" gave him a niche, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

I love that Mark Hamil is filming Star Wars, but is still sending Kevin Smith emails asking if the Trickster is going to be in his episode. I picture him half heartedly swinging a lightsaber for millions of dollars, wistfully thinking about wearing colorful tights while annoying the Flash on network television.

I still think half the energy he put into his first CW Trickster appearance came from "whole hours of nobody talking to me about Star Wars!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

X-O posted:

Yes she is. I think the first thing I ever saw her in was the District 13 sequel, in which she played a badass ninja. Hmm. She might be onto something here.

They made a sequel to Banlieue 13? Well, that's going on my "must watch" list.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Medullah posted:

Haha wow, last nights Agents of Shield is such a Civil War lead up a team divided on superpowered rights!

It's more Daisy turning into a cross between Magneto and Jack Bauer,

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dexo posted:

Yeah it is easier to show rather than tell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvcIhL86IE

I can't tell anymore, is that real?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Madkal posted:

Arrow finally went forward with a plot and it turned out to be a good episode. Reminds me of how good Arrow can be when it wants to.

I'm just glad it was solved by the Power of Friendship and not "OLICITY FOREVER TRUE LOVE BEATS ALL!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

wyntyr posted:

Anyone want to take bets on who dies during tomorrow's Agents of Shield season finale? My best friend thinks it'll be Fitz or Simmons since the show seems to actively abhor them being happy; I personally am hoping Lincoln counts as a "member of the team" so that he can go be boring somewhere else.

My cynical hunch is soldier "suddenly got a name, speaking role and rocket launcher" from the Kree episode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Good is such a relative term that if you go in expecting to hate it, you're gonna hate it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

*shrug* I like it. As far as what the seasons are like, some spoilers for general flow:
Season 1: kinda bland macguffin-of-the-week stuff first half until the mid-season Hydra reveal, then it's the Main Team salvaging what they can as the rest of Shield falls apart, scrambling to keep previous-episode macguffins out of Hydra's hands, and fighting cyborg supersoldiers.
Season 2: Shield is now "dead", running in the shadows to clean up Hydra remnants. The Main Team comes into conflict with more survivors of the schism who formed their own Shield. Artifacts Hydra is pursuing lead the team to a hidden colony of Inhumans, the leader of whom is Skye's mother and has her own motives to she keep her people safe.
Season 3: Terrigen is out in the wild, Shield is back in a "working for the President but secretly" fashion, and they're trying to find people who turn into Inhumans and help them before they hurt anyone or bad guys capture them. The Secret Warriors are assembled, and everyone tries to stop an ancient Inhuman who's going to kill everyone he can't brainwash.

I mean, it's not fine art.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's real. I wonder if they'll still have the band.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Josie and the Pussycats have been cast, so I assume they'll be the musical kids.

Well the comics had both. I just want to see the sexy broody mystery-hunting teens busting out Sugar Sugar.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Why do they need to look? HE'S RIGHT NEXT DOOR! :argh:

Superman Returns was a seriously flawed movie, but Routh was great as Supes.

They've already established alternate universe doubles in the CW-verse, so they could even get away with it despite him being in Legends. As long as he could remember to be Superman and not Ray Palmer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I forget, in what part of the bible do they detail where his cousin, horse, cat, dog and a monkey also resurrect?

I believe that's in The Gospel According to these Weird Mushrooms I Found. It's in the Apocrypha.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

X-O posted:

The CW website probably has the best streaming capabilities of any network (cable excluded). It's very easy to watch something there. I don't think anyone is getting screwed here. It's not like they require you to sign in with a cable company login like other sites.

My only quibble is that if I want to check whether I missed an end-of-episode stinger or anything I need to sit through the entire episode's allotted commercials, and they repeat themselves.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think it was Season 2 of Leverage where they were in Portland but pretending it was still Boston, led to a lot of those for me. Though the most jarring was a S5 episode they filmed on my old college campus. I think I recognized every wall, doorframe and tree of that episode, they didn't do much to disguise it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ideal for me would be something like Steam or iTunes, where I can just worry about one wrapper and then purchase the stuff in there a la carte. Of course setting that up in the first place is a logistical nightmare.

Steam's actually a good analogue, since people keep trying to break off and have their own wrapper like Origin, uPlay, or Windows Live. Various levels of success, but they all run into the problem of "but I just got Steam working the way I like it, why are you making me set up new stuff?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Late Night with MODOTS

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jimmy's pal, Clark Kent.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

site posted:

On a whim I decided to check out the Supergirl show and it's actually a lot better than i expected, but I just finished the episode where she and jonn convince her boss that she's not Supergirl and now I'm kinda really irked cuz they have a really good relationship going. Only halfway through though so maybe that'll change by the end.

You're irked *because* they have a good relationship going?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I know nobody asked for my hot take on it, but I thought YJ S1 was great. S2 did a really unnecessary time skip that I think threw off the pacing of everything. Gave us loads of characters that couldn't get developed in the short amount of time. The plot was a bit silly. But it wasn't trash or anything. Honestly that moment in S1 where all the characters have their lies revealed and they just talk it out instead of going all melodrama made the entire thing worth it to me.

"So who wants to admit their big secret next?"
"I guess I will."
"I swear I was joking."

Personally I'd rate it "worse than BTAS, but that's an awfully high bar." It had stuff I liked and stuff I didn't. S2 time skip aside, I thought the Cabal pulled off one of the better "even if we lose we win" schemes I've seen from shows that have tried it.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 3, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mover posted:

Luke Cage is going to be the symbol of hope that DCU Superman never was.

We may not be able to believe in an illegal immigrant, but at least we've progressed enough to get behind a black guy.

E: tongue firmly in cheek, just in case it wasn't obvious. It's been one of those days.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

site posted:

I thought this was just a joke until 30 seconds ago when i discovered she was actually on glee lol

Yeah, everyone on that show got autotuned to Hell and back, but she and Grant Gustin have shown elsewhere that they can actually sing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

X-O posted:

The Tick gets a 5/5 rating for a pilot. The show is more grounded, but the main characters are just as insane as they are in previous incarnations which makes it feel even wilder in a grounded world.

Also Wally Pfister (Chris Nolan's longtime cinematographer) directed the pilot. So to say it's shot beautifully is an understatement.

Yeah, that was pretty dang spectacular. "That's the hero's journey. That's why they get up in the morning; to go mano a monomyth with the darkness." may be one of my new favorite lines of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Fury had a secret project to use Kree blood (taken from a dead Kree) to resurrect a dead Avenger. Fury opted to use it on Coulson because he considered him part of the team and he was the first one to fall. It was a super secret program that almost no one in SHIELD knew about, even though half of SHIELD was HYDRA. The Kree stuff leads into the whole Inhuman stuff they have been doing quite smoothly.

Basically yes, for certain values of "reasonable". It was a big deal plotline and even a couple of season later there have been "we don't know if my head's on straight" repercussions.