Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Teek posted:

So who's the current fan dream casting wish for Kingpin? Chiklis?

Not nearly big enough. I miss Michael Clark Duncan. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

greatn posted:

I'm glad people took my suggestion at face value and didn't think I was just making a fat joke. A woman kingpin would rock, and McCarthy has a ton of untapped potential in dramatic roles.

Is Melissa McCarthy the one that played alongside Bullock in The Heat? Because, yeah, if she could do serious (I haven't seen her in anything but that and Identity Theft) I can definitely see her as Kingpin.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

It wasn't about honor. The episode and really the first season's theme is that revenge, like what Ollie sought in the first season, is self-destructive and pointless.

Arrow is a wonderful example that cliches actually work when used correctly.

This is even better now that Malcolm is back. He's pretty much the poster boy for 'broken and living for revenge'.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

greatn posted:

The finale of S1 is when it became clear how dumb the show was and that it was all going to be downhill from there.

Well, that and the opening of Season 2. Maybe they can make something good if they just abandon all baggage. Also do not have time travel or power absorbing people.

Heroes was an awesome one-season show. :colbert:

If they had left it like that I think it would hold up a lot better. As a self-contained arc it worked. I only watched maybe half of the second season but it was obvious that the rails were coming off even then. I can't imagine what later seasons must have been like.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

Hiro was the only good part. Masi Oka should have been the new Dr. Who.

NISSAN VERRRRSA

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fishylungs posted:

Also apparently people want Claire to return? No. No one should want that.

I remember when Heroes was first airing (and especially those scenes where Claire would just jump off of that water tower repeatedly, or the one where she cut off a toe just because) thinking that it would be awesome to see a regenerating character treated as how hosed up it would actually be. I mean, she heals, but it still hurts right? So I was expecting something darker like her taking on dudes and just letting them shoot her up, then stand up once they're out of ammo, or even some sort of weird superhero self-cutting thing. But no, we got 'the guy who eats brains for new powers can't be allowed to get regeneration or he will literally be unkillable' how unique a plot. :rolleyes:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

zoux posted:

I wonder if they are going to explain Speed Forceology early on or just hope that the casual viewer doesn't go "Waaaaait, wouldn't that break all the bones in his hand :confused: "

They don't have to do Speed Force, they can just leave it as some word chemical reaction/meta change like the mirakuru.

Speed Force might be good if they're trying to make the show a bit more 'high powered' superhero though, not sure exactly how they'd go about expositing on it. How did the character(s) figure out about the Speed Force in the comics?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LorneReams posted:

As someone who was always confused by poo poo like how he breathes when he runs so fast, what is the answer?

Yeah, it's literally magic. Speed Force is why he doesn't shatter his hand when punching dudes super-fast, or like age 10 years during one long super-speed fight, that sort of thing. It's literally 'a wizard motherbox did it'.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

zoux posted:

Also do they still do the thing where the speedsters have to constantly eat all the time?

I don't think so. Flash doesn't actually burn more calories moving fast because he's not actually moving fast; the Speed Force is doing all the work. Or something similar.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Poor Grant Gustin. Eating on film is one of the worst things to do.

"Cut! Someone get Grant another Whopper, we have to start from the top!"

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Going too far beyond that also gets us goofy poo poo like John Byrne's "it's really all subtle telekinesis!" for Superman's powers, too. The Speed Force is the ultimate :techno: of comics and about as impenetrable to non-hypernerds.

I actually liked the appendix in the first Wild Cards book (before it became irredeemably lovely) hypothesizing that literally all 'ace' (meta) powers were various manifestations of telekinesis. It actually hung together fairly well.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dexo posted:

It actually is a legit good MMO now.

... As long as you sub. The 'F2P' option is hilariously gimped.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Don't forget the rarely-mentioned transdimensional security authority, A.R.M.O.R.

This is a joke, right? Transdimensional security authority?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

They're like SWORD for interdimensional excursions. I think they have a Mummy Captain America in their basement. Morbius worked there for a bit.

gently caress, I gotta google this poo poo. That's ridiculous.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

greatn posted:

You have to give Smallville credit in that their super speed scenes and effects were very well done, so I'd have to imagine this team doing even better could be pretty sweet.

Well, besides the one scene where it's just a camera cut and poof he's gone.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

greatn posted:

Even simple stuff like running down a highway looked decent enough.

Eh, I thought the 'aura' thing looked weird in practice but maybe I'm in the minority there.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

zoux posted:

I'd say the gold standard for super speed on film is the Faora vs. soldiers fight in Man of Steel, but that may be a bit beyond a CW's show budget.

Yeah, I can't see the Flash fighting quite the same way (that combination of speed and strength was just brutal) but that's what I would point to for 'super speed done right'

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tuxedo Jack posted:

No mustache?

Detective Gordon, you have failed this city. :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Odds on Ward having the sheer balls to actually kill a bunch of SHIELD people in order to infiltrate HYDRA even though it means he's pretty much done as a SHIELD agent?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Just caught up on SHIELD and yeah those three Cap 2 fallout episodes were really loving good. The last one with Blackout wasn't though, so they're not out of the fire yet.

What they did with Ward was really the best possible direction for that character. Spy Randy Orton.

IMO the Blackout stuff can be excused for being bad because it was there simply to get half the crew out of the base so the real plot (the Grant/Skye thing) could work. And that part of the episode was pretty drat good.

Poor Patton Oswalt. :(

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Was Mae referencing a known character at the end of the episode?

Maria Hill?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Error 404 posted:

culminating in a climactic Season 2 showdown with Professor Zoom, where Barry finds out he is pre-destined to kill his mother or else millions of people/the whole world will die because he never becomes the Flash.

I unironically expect this to come up at some point, he's fighting with Zoom in that room and young Barry shows up, so he has to save his young self (and let Zoom kill his mother) or he'll never exist as the Flash. Followed by angst/a breakdown when he realizes that he was never going to be able to save her.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Some questions:

1: Papa West's new partner was something Thawn, right? Isn't Professor Zoom in the comics named Thawn?

2: What's the deal with the Star Labs dude? Is he based on a character or is he a wildcard?

3: I am gonna be really pissed if we just get that one -----Grodd----- teaser.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I think it's actually the yellow blur that moves young Barry, not the red one.

I think you're right, but what reason would Thawn/Zoom/Reverse Flash/whatever have for moving young Barry a couple blocks over and leaving him when his objective is (presumably) to kill him?

Maybe we're remembering wrong, or they'll flip the colors in those shots before the real air date?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

e: Disregard this. I replied in the wrong thread. :psyduck:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

That is amazing and I wish I lived in the universe where that show happened.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The show got pretty loving bad in the end.

Except for OMWF and the 'Evil Willow' arc the show could have ended at S5 (with the Glory stuff) and I feel it would have been better.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Maybe it's just because I watched the series for the first time very recently but I think you guys are being unfair to the later seasons. There are plenty of good episodes and good moments throughout both, even if neither is as fun to watch as the earlier stuff.

I haven't watched S6-7 in a few years, so I don't feel like I can comment on them (other than the Adam cyborg thing being dumb as hell, that was S6 right?)

I just feel like the end of S5 is a great place to end the show. Buffy saves the world but dies doing it - and finally gets a release from having to be the Slayer.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I just realized... Since Disney owns Marvel, and Thor is going to be a woman... Does this make Thor a Disney Princess? :psyduck:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Saw what you will about the Fox movie, but I liked the effect they used for it.

Yeah, this. The fight at the end with Kingpin and the scene with Jennifer Garner in the rain were pretty well done in particular, if memory serves.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

The Bullseye scene in the church was terrible from what I can remember. I don't remember the villains being strong at all. Maybe Kingpin was alright I guess, but I can't remember.

That scene in particular I remember as having an almost Tim Burton Batman vibe, with Daredevil and Bullseye leaping around these huge organ pipes that seemed to go up forever. I mean I haven't watched the movie in years and/or maybe church organs really do have pipes that huge but it seriusly felt like the crazy gothic Keaton Batman movie.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

VDay posted:

Yeah it's the basketball scene, by a mile. It says a lot that a scene is so famous for being so, so awful that it stands out from all the other hilariously bad scenes in Catwoman.

God damnit, am I going to have to re-watch that movie for this scene now?

It's too bad because as horrible as that movie was, the whole literal catwoman/chosen by Bast thing would be an interesting direction to try for the character (if done in a not-lovely movie).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I just watched a 20-minute preview thing for Gotham and while I'm still a little worried at kids Bruce and Catwoman, just about everything else looks to have some impressive potential.

Especially the dude playing the Penguin, his acting and makeup are just enough to make the resemblance obvious without being caricature, and the note they seem to be aiming for with the character is actually kind of relatable.

I might have to actually watch this show.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Anna Torv is still my dream Carol. She was pretty wooden in early episodes, but by season 2 she really improved her acting, and when there are two Olivia's running around, but both are very different people it's pretty amazing.

I'm not sure if the 'problem' was her acting or the directing in the first season, but yeah once she settled into the role and got to do rad things like act against herself she really stepped it up a notch.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

I think people confuse Olivia being bland with Anna Torv being a bad actress. Fauxlivia fauxever.

Yeah, this. Anna Torv is a pretty great actress, it's just that the Olivia part was written to be very bland for some reason at first.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Playstation Network has a Halo tv series?

Is it the web series from a while back that follows some recruits in training as a Covenant force invades the planet they're on or whatever? I remember thinking that it had some pretty good production values for what it was when I watched it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So, having never read the comic this is based on, I am getting a very Buffy-like 'she's a superhero, only also a zombie and her power is to eat brains!' vibe?

Idunno, I'll probably give it 3 episodes but that trailer isn't exactly hyping me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

XboxPants posted:

As many have said, the MCU is almost better off without mutants... so Marvel, if you're listening, let Fox have their dumb show but make them give back the loving Fantastic Four properties. Hell, even if it's just the associated characters, Silver Surfer, Doom, Galactus, there's some sick poo poo there. Maybe even go for blood and go for full or shared custody on the X-Men cosmic/non-mutant stuff like the Shi'ar and Gladiator and the Windjammers and Abigail Brand and Savage Land.

That would be a great deal that be pretty much win-win for everyone.

i do realize marvel is not listening

Umm apparently Marvel is doing a F4 reboot:

Official F4 Teaser Trailer

I can't tell if it's supposed to tie into the greater MCU, but the visuals at least are pretty impressive. :stare:

e: Nevermind that's Fox still, gently caress I could have sworn I saw the marvel page flipping at the beginning. I must be tired.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 28, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because they've not been doing the massive multi-year hype fest that Marvel does and that some people expect for some reason.

Well I don't have a television so I miss out on most hype poo poo anyway.

Apparently I had managed to never see it mentioned on the internets. Somehow?

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I believe Nightwing's sigil is also some sort of falcon or eagle, so that's two including Hawk! :v:

... I think he meant Oracle.