Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I cannot wait for the Christmas episode if only because of the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I like the title teasing. At least they have a sense of humor and they admit that continuations are a bit frustrating.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

quote:

Edit: And, gently caress you, Renard. "If he kills someone, there is no coming back." As if viloent battery of multiple victims is easy to sweep under the royal rug, but oh no, had he killed one, what would we ever tell the cops? (But we just let a veternarian gas bomb a crate of prisoners, so you know, we care about protocol here.)

To be fair, it's a whole lot easier to write off a bar fight if nobody dies in it. You know, like, "Do you guys really want it on the public record that this dude walked into your house and kicked all your asses? We're sorry that Officer Burkhardt got slipped some PCP during his investigation and we understand if you want to press charges. Of course, that means we'll have to station officers here for your protection and that we'll have to fully investigate every part of your lives to make sure there wasn't some sort of provocation of Officer Burkhardt. Or we can just shake hands give you all a quick legal settlement with the city and cancel any outstanding warrants you might have. Deal? I thought so."

Now if somebody died in the fight (or later or Nick kills a family of three) it becomes much harder to sweep under the rug.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Probably not. They made a point of showing that the pilots of the plane survived the crash.

Also Captain Renard specifically made the point that if Kick "kills someone he's done." In situations like that the question isn't "will they save/stop [insert Protagonist]?" it's "what interesting/dramatic thing will they do to save/stop [insert Protagonist]?"

Meanwhile, I hope Juliette pushes herself into Nick's Wesen investigations because of the inevitable conflict that will ensue when Nick finally says, "No, Juliette, you're not coming with me to face off against the tentacle-rape death-monster wesen which gets stirred to rage by the presence of pet hair on snarky brunettes."

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

johntfs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 1, 2013

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

He's most probably dead because the new bad Royal is Wesley from Angel . Most likely.

Well, a new bad Royal is Wesley from Angel. I've noticed that explosions and hitmen are rarely as deadly on TV as they are in real life.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

I can't bring myself to care about Adalind at all.

The A plot was very good. Some nice action sequences with a full-on Wesen (and cop) versus Grimm brawl. The fallout from his transformation is looking pretty interesting. I hope that his Grimm abilities end up being enhanced.

I suspect that the super-strength thing is here to stay. Though I'll bet it'll be paired with a risk of losing control and going "Grimm smash!" on all present.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Merlinicus posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking of, the reapers he has killed. Literally cut off heads. But kill someone in a bar fight that came at him with a knife? :ohdear:

Nick didn't learn about the knife until the end when Renard showed him. Also, the Reapers and other Wesen he's killed have been the ones to initiate said fights to the death.

Besides you don't have to be guilty of something to feel guilty about it. If I'm driving on the highway at night at the legal speed of 65 mph and dude comes running off the shoulder in front of my and I hit him, I probably won't be found guilty, but I still killed somebody, so I'll feel guilty because I'm not a sociopath. Nick is also not a sociopath.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Oasx posted:

His super strength is nothing new, he has always had it.

Not to this degree I don't think. They've shown him able to hold his own and triumph over strong Wesen, but they've never shown him tossing people around like dolls the way he was in these episodes, have they?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

johntfs posted:

Well, a new bad Royal is Wesley from Angel. I've noticed that explosions and hitmen are rarely as deadly on TV as they are in real life.

Although now that I consider it, Sean Renard's hitbeings are pretty competent. When Sean Renard orders people dead, they do, in fact, tend to die. Aunt Marie died (mostly from cancer but full-on kung-fu fighting probably exacerbated it some), as did the Wesen fight-club guy, as did the bank-robbing Blutbad couple and now Sean's brother. So, figure three and half out of four isn't too bad.

I can't wait for the rest of the Grimmy Gang to be slightly horrified when they learn of Eric's death, especially in light of the way they kept pushing Renard to "not let Eric get away with this."

I hope Sean just kind of glares at them and says something like "I hate to break it to you people, but we're playing by Game of Thrones rules here. We win or we die. My brother just lost. Deal with it."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Merlinicus posted:

Given this show, I don't think there's any chance they could seriously expect us to assume he's permanently dead. Really now.

I'm gleefully anticipating the scene where he shows up at the end of a two-part episode fading to black and the words

"Really now. You didn't think Eric actually died in that car bomb, did you?"

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Zaggitz posted:

I dunno what you guys are on about with this whole oh wesen its okay but not normals thing. Nick has always, in basically any situation tried to prevent any loss of life unless he is pushed the normal boundaries a cop would have to shoot someone. Outside of a handful exceptions all of his kills were justified. And he wasnt wracked up cause he killed a human, he was wracked up cause he killed an innocent.

All of this is to say that what has seperated Nick from the other Grimms of this universe from the very start is that he DOESN't discriminate Wesen over humans, and that he gives them the same courtesy he would any other human with regards to the law. Renard is the one being hypocritical in this episode because he has been monitoring Nick since the pilot, and still somehow jumps to accusations that would befit a regular Grimm, and not Nick.

edit: added Stabbey's corrections.

Season Two, Episode 5 should probably be Sheep people (Sheeple?), not Bunny people.

As for the rest, I agree that Nick hasn't killed any Wesen without significant provocation and that those he has killed are morally (if not legally) justifiable. Still, as others have noted, Nick hasn't exactly been tortured by killing sentient life-forms who basically another version of people. As I recall the guy Nick killed both started the aggression (by pushing Zombie Nick) and then later tried to stab Nick with a knife. I have to wonder that if the dude had been a Troll or Blutbad or Coyotle, would Nick even consider this to be an issue? I'm thinking probably not.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Well, sure, but you can still see how the Captain might think and say what he did.

Say you have a cop that works in a high-crime inner city environment who has had to kill several black people in self-defense or the defense of others. He does this and just sort accepts it to be business as usual. Then he kills a white guy by legitimate mistake and gets all broken up by it. Yes, it was a regrettable situation but you can understand how the stark difference between the cop's emotional reactions might raise some questions.

I don't think Nick is a racist (speciesist?), at least not deliberately. I do wonder if part of the heritage of being a Grimm is a kind of limited sociopathy when it comes to hurting or killing Wesen, that his ability to feel guilt or regret when doing so has been deliberately, biologically muted somehow.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Don't forget that the "El Cucuy" episode airs tonight.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Lesson the first, don't snatch purses from little old ladies. They will straight-up rip your loving throat out.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Of all the various female characters on the shows that I watch, Juliette is one of the few that I'd like to be in a relationship with in real life. Katee Sackoff is/was really hot as Starbuck on BSG, but the character was a basket case from whom anyone sane would flee.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

KilGrey posted:

I wasn't a big fan of this episode. If that had been anyone other than a little old lady Nick would have given her the "I might not be able to do something as a cop, but I can as a Grimm!" speech. Yeah, she was preying on bad guys but she's still a murderer who drops mutilated bodies all around town.

But she was a little old lady so he was stuck. I saw this episode as kind of the flip side to the previous episode featuring the Naiads. In that episode Nick and Hank used the fact that the Naiads would die without water against them to leverage information. In this episode El Cucuy used the fact that people wouldn't believe a "little old lady" could have done what was done to leverage her freedom.

While it's true that Nick, Hank and Renard could have probably faked evidence or just murdered her in jail, none of them were able to do that to a person who was, in the end, doing no much more than they do every week. She was taking out bad people just like they do. While the three of them are cops, they've had to take some level of vigilante action.

BTW, is it wrong that I felt a little bit of satisfaction when the taunting Marine guy got his rear end stomped?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

TheChad posted:

Yeah, I definitely felt sorry for him. He seemed more like the 'broken' ex-military type and less of a macho rear end in a top hat.

Great episode.

I liked the flow of the episode. It sets the guy up as a suspect for being the vigilante and makes him a smug, taunting pain in the rear end. Then he gets a somewhat satisfying kicking. And only then do they fully reveal that the poor guy has untreated PTSD and is basically a hero, which makes you feel like an utter poo poo for being a little happy about the rear end-kicking he got. Well-played, show, well-played.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

KilGrey posted:

There is a lot of difference between what she was doing and what they do every week. Nick doesn't run around town leaving mutilated corpses of people committing crimes. Stealing an old lady's purse, however much of a dick move, doesn't mean you deserve your throat ripped out. Nick and the gang always try to bring people in alive, this lady just murders them.

Well, that's all true. However, when you get right down do it, the only way to stop her is for them to murder her. Legally there's no way they can prove it was her. Aside from which, she was done in Portland (for now), so it was just easier to let her go be some other bad guys' problem.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

KilGrey posted:

I don't disagree that they were in a tough spot. However I expected some form of the, "I can't do anything as a cop, but as a Grimm you better watch yo'self!" Anything other than looking dazed and walking away. If this was some big brute of a dude instead of a little old lady, do you think he would have just let him waltz away with nothing? This lady is going to keep on murdering, humans and wessen alike, he's kind of a crappy Grimm for just letting her walk away.

All of that is also true. The big brute guy offers options that the little old lady does not offer. "He jumped us so we shot him" sounds a lot more plausible when the perp is 350# tatted up gangbanger than if it's Mrs. Garcia. Besides, Juliette has a point that El Cucuy might not be Wesen so bullets might not work on her (maybe the thing is some debased god of justice ala Supernatural). Beyond even that, it's clear that El Cucuy responds to a summoning based in need. If they kill El Cucuy, perhaps that need might call in something even worse.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

quote:

Nice subversion with the Old lady being the monster instead of pro criminal dog guy or PTSD marine kid. I agree that Nick should have done something, but the team's reactions were amazing.

The thing is that there was nothing Nick could do without becoming a murdering vigilante himself. And it just wasn't in him to do that in order to prevent the potential future deaths of, well, criminal scumbags. Personally, I'd be inclined to buy El Cucuy a ticket to New York and a map to Wall Street.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

quote:

Also, I think Juliet somehow got infected based on the shoe thing. Protozoa makes sense. Isn't toxoplasmosis a Protozoa? Juliet would likely know all about that.

I doubt it. Even if she was, she'd recognize the symptoms and just take a really, really cold shower or somesuch to kill the stuff.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

KnT posted:

Huh, a Krampus. Cool.

Is it wrong that I was cheering for Krampus to get that other little poo poo?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm rushing through the show and I can not get over how loving stubborn and stupid Juliette is.

Where are you in the show? She was fine in Season 1. Season 2 saw her get stuck in that interminable amnesia/obsession storyline. Season 3 she's great as part of the gang and makes me wish that Nick had clued her in about Wesen some time around the Ogre story in Season 1.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
The amnesia storyline was one that sounded good on paper (Hey, instead of just having Nick and Juliette be together, let's show them falling in love again) but dragged on and on without relief. Once Juliette got out of that swamp of a storyline, she became fun and interesting again, especially as part of the gang. The fact that she's now written as one of the least contrived and stereotypical women on television only adds to her charm.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

a foolish pianist posted:

I feel like a "graar you killed my girlfriend and now I'm extra angry and dark all the time" plot would be hackneyed and tiresome.

That's because it would, in fact, be hackneyed and tiresome. I like that Nick is basically a nice guy whose job/calling requires him to occasionally do violence. I really do not need him to be a "vengeful seeker of vengeance who lives only for revenge." Especially since whatever replacement love interest he got would end up being a shrill, suspicious, cliche' harpy.

If Juliette is essentially just Bitsie Tulloch with a different name, I am completely fine with that. I enjoy her the same way I enjoy Jack Nicholson, who also pretty much just plays Jack Nicholson in every thing he does. I also enjoy that her character happily skips past the various bullshit melodrama conflicts that would plague other series, ie "Who is M and is Nick leaving me for her?!?"

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

Really surprised that Nick didn't say anything about who he is and/or have Monroe and Rosalee over for dinner with Juliet's friend.

The A plot kind of bored me.

I got the idea that Nick and Juliette have known this woman (and her rear end in a top hat husband) for years without knowing she was Wesen. Nick seemed thrown to find out (I'll put the room in the bags.") Plus he figured that revealing himself as someone who's normally known for killing people like her would've have added to her stress level.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

PureRok posted:

The only human is Sgt. Wu.

Can't be. Wu is neither white nor boring.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
There was a truly awesome show on in the 1980s called Airwolf, which was named for the title vehicle, a highly advanced helicopter gunship. Look it up if you want the backstory.

In this program the heroes would almost always encounter villains armed with stuff that could reasonably challenge Airwolf, such as jet fighters, rocket launchers and, of course, one and usually more other helicopter gunships. If I can watch that and think it's awesome, I am completely okay with the idea that there is a greater than normal concentration of Wesen, especially rare Wesen, in and around the Portland area.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fun Airwolf trivia: Bryan Cranston met his wife on Airwolf, because he had a role as a hostage taker. She was the hostage.

Always found that kind of amusing. Also, Goddamn that 80s had catchy theme songs. Outside of Game of Thrones I can't think of many shows themes that I'd ever hum from the last two decades but just try to get Airwolf's theme out of your head.

I loved that they would choreograph the dogfights to the theme song so that when that last da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-nuh, Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-nuh, na-na-na-NUH something got blown the gently caress to hell right on that last NUH.

And the mention of Bryan Cranston makes me long for full mash-up. Malcom in the Middle of Breaking Airwolf.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Do not anger Juliette in her kitchen. She will full-on gently caress your world up.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Accretionist posted:

I loved that they didn't go with normal fight choreography for Juliette. Whether intended or not, it felt like good characterization. I can just imagine her in a Women's Self Defense class taking notes about how when confronted by a larger opponent, attack the sensitive areas: eyes, ears, throat and groin and jotting down useful phrases such as, "Get out of my house!.

I floved that too, especially when I recognized that's what it was. A friend of mine who teaches women's self defense calls it "gently caress you up Fu."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
A little time on IMDB showed me that David G and Bitsie did a film called "Caroline and Jackie" in 2012 where they were also in a relationship. Also, I learned that Bitsie starred in a mockumentary about the life of R2-D2 in 2001. I have to find that thing somewhere.

Here it is: http://starwars.com/watch/beneath_the_dome_pt3.html

Bitsie shows up about 4 minutes into it.

The first two parts are here:

http://starwars.com/watch/beneath_the_dome_pt1.html

and here

http://starwars.com/watch/beneath_the_dome_pt2.html

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

Right, exactly. I previously thought it was a sort of micro-expression thing, where Nick's subtle reactions (or lack thereof) to unintended wesen stuff were a hint. Now, I'm hoping wesen just perceive Grimms as totally horrifying, and we just haven't been shown what it looks like to them.

To me you'd think that the dude would've assumed that Juliette was the Grimm, since she shrugged off his Voge and was kicking the hell out of him. Also, it doesn't seem like it's a natural perception thing or else Juliette wouldn't have to tell Alicia that Nick was a Grimm. Hell, Juliette was the one who brought up Alicia being Wesen. Again the most logical conclusion to Alicia should have been that Juliette was a Grimm.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

devoir posted:

I didn't see anyone else mention it, but it really bugged me that Juliette immediately just said "And Nick's a Grimm!" with this happy chirp as if she expected that would help. When she'd been told it wouldn't and don't do that. I put on my grumpy pants while I watched her impressive self defense offensive.

I was fine with it. She made a mistake, but it was a normal person mistake (unlike the kid at the beginning drawing the attention of the thugs beating up the gang guy by saying "Hey!") Juliette believed that her specific experience with Alicia trumped Nick's general experience with Wesen. It was foolish but completely understandable, especially in the context. Juliette wasn't blurting out Nick's Grimmness for the hell out of it. That was her trump card to win the argument about whether or not Alicia was Wesen, like "Look, Nick's a Grimm. He saw you. We really do know and we're completely okay with it."

Except that Alicia took it more like "Look, we know you're a Jew. Nick's with the SS. Just calm down so we can get you a shower at a place where Work Makes Free."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Delta-Wye posted:

This is my take - if you replace wesen with any other ethnicity/race/cultural heritage it sounds pretty terrible. Nick kills jews negroes wesen left and right without a tinge of guilt but accidentally kills a aryan normal dude who pulled a knife in a bar fight while zombified and he's loving broken up about it.

True, and yet there are differences and false equivalencies, kind of like with mutants in the X-men comics/movies. Jewish people can't burn you alive by breathing fire on you. Black people can't rip your throat out with jaguar teeth. When Nick kills people, including humans (which he did in this episode), he does so in immediate defense of himself or other people. The bar bit was different. He killed a person in a fight that he started (while drugged).

If I sell beer to somebody who proceeds to get super drunk and die in a car accident and I learn that I sold the fatal beer, I would be upset by that.

Plus, I don't think Nick was simply upset by killing that guy. There was a lot of other stuff going on there. Becoming a victim. Potentially hurting his friends and innocent people. Loss of control and choice in his actions. The killing was more the icing on the cake. The nasty icing on a cake made of awful.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

I'm pretty sure that 2 and 3 are the same thing.

Occasionally 1, 2 and 3 are the same thing. There've been a couple of episodes where Wesen get so freaked out that they reveal themselves to normal humans. I'm thinking of the episode 3 from season 2 with the Coyotl daughter of Hank's friend and the point where Rosalee, Bud and Monroe Woged for Juliette. I recalled that Bud hadn't formally decided to Woge but got so wound up he did it anyway.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Holy shitballs. Manticore fight with a Gran Torino ending. God, I love this show.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Bored posted:

It might actually have been mentioned in an interview with the writers, as well as Grimms not actually woging when the wesen see them. But Juliette's reaction to her friend's abusive husband really should have made him think she was the Grimm, if that's the case. If I make up my own reason for how he knew she wasn't a grimm, I'd say it's because none of her fight moves are especially structured. She didn't whip out any kung-fu like we thought she was going to.

According to a person on another board, Juliette used several fairly advanced blocks and defensive moves from kickboxing.

As for meeting Rosalee's family, I loved that they knew Monroe was a Blutbad and at his request served him veggie food, but the older sister still flaunted her steak at him.

I mean, Monroe doesn't go Vegan out of a desire for a super-healthy lifestyle or because it's trendy, he does it so he won't be as tempted to run people down and eat them. So yeah, big sis, go taunt the dude who could rip your arm off and beat you to death with it.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Bored posted:

Yes she was. The steak flaunting was really mean.

And also really stupid. So you really want to taunt your sister's "recovering addict" boyfriend when you know he might flip out and kill you and your mom?

I will say that I liked that in terms of family drama it was more August: Fuchsbau County and less Guess Who's Coming to (eat you for) Dinner.

BTW, this episode really needs some kind of sequel/follow-up in terms of the manticore. For one, I kind of want to see Nick fight the thing himself, but mostly, do we all really believe that the American prison system can contain something like that if he really wants to get out? I mean, sure, plenty of Wesen are in prison (as shown by the turtle-people episode) but come on, holding a manticore, especially since the human prison system doesn't know what it's dealing with seems a bridge too far.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Delta-Wye posted:

I feel like you are underestimating the Fuchsbaus; I'm guessing they are not that helpless that three of them would be in terrible danger. Plus, I don't think anyone was in danger, she was just loving with him to make him uncomfortable and there was never a chance he would flip out.

I thought that whole sequence was unusually humanizing of wessen. Oh, awkward Monroe :swoon:

Oh, I agree that no one was in danger from Monroe. I just think the perception of danger/trouble might have been higher. Sort of like "Hey, this is Rosalee, the sister who was strung out on heroin the last time you saw her. Anyway, yes I'm coming to dinner and I'm bringing my boyfriend, who's a former child solder in a militia that liked to chop limbs off of people and burn them in barrels. He'd prefer to have a veggie meal because the smell of burning meat might trigger a flashback. See you at eight."

• Locked thread