Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Looks like the movie is a no go - sorry boys, Vince is done. No movie! http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/16/mark-wahlberg-reveals-greed-as-reason-behind-entourage-movie-delay-4148640/.

Hey the cheques all cleared. Movie is back on! http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...i-1226744912513

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

comes along bort posted:

The Shield's ending is the one thing that gives me hope for Sons of Anarchy, though it probably doesn't matter considering how much more intentionally silly the latter is.

I'm just a little more than halfway through Season 1 of Sons of Anarchy. Am I wrong in thinking it's kind of like Grand Theft Auto the TV Show?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I should probably check it out one of these days, considering I listen to every episode of Paul Scheer & June Diane Raphael's How Did This Get Made podcast.

I don't know if you'll love it. But you'll like it a lot. As it's been said, it takes a few for the show to hit it's stride.

Watched the latest 3 episodes of Brooklyn 99. It's decent. Not amazing... but solid. I really like the cast. While I haven't seen the other episodes- something like "Halloween" was necessary to show that Andy Samberg's is not a complete idiot.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

If you thought Girl Meets World was big news- think again!

http://disneytreasures.com/blogs/news/9834370-full-house-2014-sequel-series-in-development-will-you-watch

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Just watched the first two episodes of the newest season of Eastbound and Down. Why have I not been keeping up!?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

This. I watch way too many shows and once I've started I can't stop. Smallville, Dexter and Charmed are my biggest regrets - I figure I liked less than half of their entire run time and I stayed with them to the final episode.

I'd add Entourage and Weeds to the mix.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm sure there aren't a lot of TVIV-ers watching "Extreme Cheapskates" on TLC, but I had it on in the background today while I was cleaning my apartment and doing other little chores around the house.

And while most things just made me go "uhh...that's absurd" or "that's gross," only one actually made me really angry.

A lady said she BURNS HER TRASH. Paper, cardboard, and even PLASTIC. Her family, including her small chiuld, mentioned how the smoke smells bad and makes them feel sick, and the neighbors complain about the smell, too.

Jesus Christ, lady, no! That's not just illegal, but horribly unsafe! If you're going to keep doing it, at least only do it when your son isn't home so at least he can avoid the lung cancer.

I watched the first season in a day during a Netflix binge. I say it's more "funny" than gross. Like hoarders but I feel less bad for laughing. I mean, the woman was a millionaire. :psyduck:

I wonder if my dad were to watch the show- if he were to get ideas, or be disgusted.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

From the creators of Eastbound and Down and Archer comes...

Chozen

http://www.brobible.com/entertainment/article/chozen-fxs-animated-comedy

I've never seen a preview so... bizarre? I dunno how to describe it. While I can see influences on both shows (unlikable dickish main character) it still distances itself from both without coming across like a ripoff/clone on either.(try and learn Seth) I'm a fan of both Eastbound and Archer so I'll definitely give this a shot.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 20, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Follow-up:

Inside Bob Dylan's Brilliant 'Like a Rolling Stone' Video

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-bob-dylans-brilliant-like-a-rolling-stone-video-20131120

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

It's probably been posted already, but arriving today is the series Box Set of Breaking Bad. I normally don't care about unboxing videos- but this one has Vince Gilligan himself doing the honours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52lcd8Trxo4

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

zoux posted:

I wonder if he ever has a moment of introspection where he's like, "man, I am good at TV".

Is it hyperbole to say he's the most humble TV showrunner in history?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

God, I just loving love a good sitcom. I mean, I enjoy Breaking Bad and all that, but just some nice easily digestible, bite sized, situational comedy really does it for me.

In that case I highly recommend Parks and Recreation. What started off as a sub-par Office clone, has become the best comedy on Television. I didn't say it's the "funniest show", but it reaches character beats and moments that feel very earned. Granted the show is still hilarious, but it hits that emotional button in me from time to time that few shows can hit- all without going into saccharine territory. It's been compared to a modern day/live action Simpsons (some of the same writers) and it's hard to argue that.

Back to the Office- I found Michael Scott gets even MORE sympathetic as the seasons go.

Another quick recommendation: Party Down.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

precision posted:

The best thing about Carnivale is that you can actually infer how the show would have ended if it went on and be more or less in line with what actually would have happened according to its creator. There are definitely enough hints dropped that, while certain aspects of some characters' stories will leave you frustrated, at least you have some closure on the big picture.

There are certain shows I wish had been abruptly cancelled at a point when my theories were much better than the actual ending.

I've said it before- but it's the show Lost tried to be. The second season answered 90% of the show's mysteries. It definitely felt like it had a "gameplan" of some sort.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

On a whim, my friend and I just watched the first four episodes of Orange is the New Black. Despite my incredible disdain for Jenji Kohan this show is pretty good. Not amazing, but great casting/performances/production really help take it up a notch. The only moment I found a little eye rolling was the screwdriver incident seemed so obvious. It reminds me a bit like Breaking Bad in that if it weren't for the spots of humour this would be an incredibly dark show.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

piratepilates posted:

One of my new hobbies is going through the old lineups of TV networks and seeing the shows that no one could possibly remember.

You catch some gems like Stark Raving Mad which is a sitcom sorta remake of The Odd Couple starring Monk and Doogie Howser that isn't amazing but pretty fun to watch.

And then you get shows that just seems bad like Veronica's Closet. Or something very mediocre like Good Morning, Miami

One of the ones that caught my eye was Leap of Faith which has this interesting tidbit on wikipedia: "Leap of Faith is a half-hour single-camera comedy that aired on NBC in early 2002, right after Friends on NBC's Thursday comedy block at 8:30 PM EST, as part of Must See TV. One of the highest rated shows to be cancelled, the series ended after just six episodes, despite ranking 12th for the season and having an average of 16.5 million viewers per episode." Unfortunately it seems almost impossible to watch since why would someone release a DVD of a show that was cancelled after 3 episodes and there's nothing on youtube except this one clip that makes it seem like a magically terrible show, one that I can't even fathom how it was made in to a series considering all the professionals that would have to be involved in making a TV show.

And then you get the shows that seem too bland to have ever been made in to a show like Jesse, make sure to check out that super interesting promo shot they have for the show.

Or a show with an amazing description like this: "The show depicts the life of Molly Bickford Dodd, a divorced woman in New York City with a lifestyle that could be described as both yuppie and bohemian. Molly seems to drift from job to job and relationship to relationship. Her ex-husband, a ne'er-do-well jazz musician, still cares for her. In fact, nearly every man she meets (and the occasional woman) adores her. Her warmth and emotional accessibility are the root cause of most of Molly's problems in life." (The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd)

Or Michael Chiklis being amazingly creepy in Daddio (that picture gives me nightmares, why did he ever do comedy?)

Or the show that gave me my favourite tagline, something right out of 30 Rock: "Fired Up is a short-lived NBC 1997–1998 situation comedy that lasted for two seasons and 28 episodes. The series, the first from Grammnet Productions, starred Sharon Lawrence as a self-centered promotions executive and Leah Remini as her mouthy assistant. When the pair got fired from their jobs, they teamed up to create a business as equal partners. The tagline of the series was "First she got fired, then she got fired up.""

But the favourite thing I learned from this endeavour was that there was a sitcom that ran from 1995 to 1998 for 3 seasons called The Naked Truth where they retooled the show each season, leading to one character suddenly no longer being mentally challenged. Back in the glory days when DVDs weren't a thing and you just had to hope no one remembered that one character had a disability one season that is just gone the next.

Certainly Must See TV

Hey lovely TV guru. I'm trying to think but was Working a prelude to the Office, and was Men Behaving Badly pretty much Two and a Half Men?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

So a while back I asked about shows similar to Chuck, with a blend of comedy + other genre that were fun, lighthearted, and didn't take themselves too seriously.
I was recommended Warehouse 13
I'm two episodes in.
Either that was a very successful troll or maybe the show gets astronomically better, but it's a pretty bad show imo. It's not really funny at all -- what jokes there are, are delivered horribly. The writing is just really poor all around. So does the show get a lot better or was it all a joke at my expense? Or maybe my tastes are just different from those that recommended it.

On the bright side, I'm watching Moonlighting and it's pretty close to what I was asking for.

Try Psych. Psych has far less detractors and it could be what you're looking for.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

:stare:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/tv_club/features/2013/the_year_in_tv/best_tv_2013_2_broke_girls_and_economic_inequality.html

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Decius posted:

I have to agree with that. It's better than S4 (which wasn't as atrocious as some make it sound), and especially the second episode has some good stuff (anything involving Jonathan Banks), but it isn't really that far above S4 like it is some Manna out of heaven. I also agree with the zero motivation (or even in retreads in case of Abed) for anyone aside Jeff. Still, as long as it doesn't disappear up its own rear end like S3 I'm happy.

Apparently episode 4 is supposed to be "really good" so we still have that to look forward to- and the opener isn't just a fluke.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I just ignored all the praise OitNB got and didn't watch it because Weeds made me never want to watch anything created by Jenji Kohan again.

I felt the same way, but my friend was over and we randomly put on an episode... and then two more. I am one of Weeds biggest detractors (as someone who watched the whole series), but Orange is but all definitions- a really good show. It feels like Breaking Bad in the sense that if it weren't for the bits of humour it would be an incredibly bleak and depressing show. The main problem my friend brought up with the show is that (minorish spoilers) None of the main characters inside the prison are inherently bad people.

I'd give the first episode a shot. The pilot does a really good job of introducing the show to viewers.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Channel surfing. I don't know what's more odd. NCIS still being on the air or Dads.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

zoux posted:

I dunno I laughed a lot. I guess I could call it a, ahem, dramedy but it's largely intended to be comedic I think.

Apparently Archer's done being a spy comedy.

At Comic-Con I remember the creator saying that he did not reveal any new footage for the new season because it's going "in a new direction." This must be what he meant. Personally I thought the show was getting a tad stale (but still good), but if this is what's happening, I'm all for it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

It'll work because Archer isn't a good show just because its about spies. Its a good show because of the characters and the writing, neither of which are about to change.

This is very true. The banter between characters is what makes it so great. Watching Archer because of the spy aspect is like watching Breaking Bad for it's meth/drug dealing. Yeah, that's what the show is about, but you're watching it for the wrong reason.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Finally a piece of news regarding what we can expect for SEASON 2 of Nathan For You:
http://www.npr.org/2014/01/02/25908...ign=nprbusiness

quote:

You know, one maid takes four hours to clean a house, and two maids takes two hours, half the time. So, like, we're seeing if 40 maids can clean a house in six minutes.

On cue, a busload of unsuspecting housekeepers arrive to clean a two-bedroom house.

:allears: Can't wait. Still one of the best shows of 2013. Surprised it cracked the Top 50 here.

quote:

Correction Jan. 2, 2014

The comedian's last name is incorrect throughout this story. He is Nathan Fielder, not Fielding.

:laugh:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

VDay posted:

Sunny is more mean, but in a 'These people are god drat psychopaths' way rather than just a 'These people are kind of assholes' way. For the record I loving love Sunny but couldn't get past season 1 of The League either. As for when to stop watching, definitely at least make sure to watch a few episodes after Danny DeVito's character shows up since he becomes one of the main cast members and changes the group dynamic a bit.

I agree and think you should stop a few episodes into season 2 when Devito's character becomes a part of the group.

And yes, Sunny is way more mean. I'm a fan of both.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 18, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Hundred Dollar Baby is a good stopping point if you're not feeling things. However, I'd recommend dipping your toe into a latter season. There are some slight tonal changes in seasons 3&4 that make the show a lot more accessible.

This too because seasons 1 and 2 are arguably the worst seasons in the series.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

http://www.celebuzz.com/2014-01-16/the-boys-are-back-entourage-movie-starts-filming-in-miami/

Looks like Vince is doing the movie!!

gently caress.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

God dammit, I'm fighting the urge to watch that.

Glad I'm not the only one. Seeing that poster was more than enough as it was.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Slamhound posted:

The Dexter thread should be re-purposed into generic Hate Watch thread.

I've never seen Following, but it would take some effort to be worse than Dexter.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

You gotta have counterexamples to illustrate what not to do.

I'm assuming that's why Walking Dead is on the list.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mohinder was the worst. I just remember him sleeping and painting. He did other stuff right? I don't remember.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

precision posted:

In 10 years most of the jokes on Community won't even make sense. Certainly in 20 years. Society in case you haven't been watching is changing at hyper speeds now compared to the changes from 1994 to now (which are already fairly big).

While the jokes may not "make sense" in 10 years time, I don't think it will be "dated". It will be looked as a product of it's era- but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

precision posted:

Seinfeld was the last timeless comedy. I don't think there is one more recent than that. The shows either have the timeless humor but not a big enough audience to stick (P&R, 30 Rock, etc) or have the audience but no timeless humor (your 2.5 Men and whatever else the proles watch).

Realistically I could see Archer being pretty timeless, Always Sunny is a toss up because they do crutch on topical humor sometimes (though I reckon The DENNIS System is timeless), and I would like Wilfred to go down as a fantastic work of art but it seems to have dropped way low on the radar with season 3 so who knows.

Curb Your Enthusiasm's humour/style will still be working. because it's similar to Seinfeld in that regard. Archer is a great example because the show itself is chronologically confused and it's a mish-mash of the 50's and present day technology. Sunny will definitely still be funny in ten years time. Will it still be edgy? That's up for debate.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I watched last week's episode of Rick and Morty on a whim, and I watched this week's based off the constant recommendations. I gotta say... it's really good. It kind of reminds me of Futurama more than a "Back to the Future riff". If I were 13 years old this would probably be my favourite thing on TV.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

smg77 posted:

This is a good description of every single season of Californication.

As bad as Californication is, it hasn't reached the lows of Weeds or Entourage.

precision posted:

Absolutely right it was.

Some others that are possible contenders:

Modern Family
Raising Hope
Bob's Burgers
Community (I know a lot of people dislike the pilot/first few episodes, but those people are WRONG ABOUT TELEVISION)
The Office (UK)
Trailer Park Boys

Can Archer be added to the list?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Arrested Development has the crown as the most fully formed comedy in its pilot in at least, say, the last 25 years.

I was going to say this next too. It not only defined it's main cast very clearly, but also set up it's distinct style. Was it one of the first live action shows to cut away to a flashback for a 5 second gag?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Who else here is a 'loser'?

http://www.digitalspy.ca/ustv/s227/agents-of-shield/news/a548207/clark-gregg-on-agents-of-shield-ratings-slide-losers-quit-watching.html

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Shut up, it looks amazing. :colbert:

It does look really good. Everyone has said that 24 would be such a better show if it were only 12 episodes... and now we're going to see it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

I skipped the second half of season 1 of 24 and moved on to season 2 and Mary Lynn Rajskub is dead?? When the heck does she come back, she's my favorite cast member!! Also Kiefer looks so much like his dad with a beard.

Ummm... ... what?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Just watched an episode of Storage Wars where Darrell finds a Black Lotus Magic card.

And ends up selling it for $700.00 :laugh:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I am excited for the winter olympics now after reading this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607043

:getin:

I remember 10 years ago when Greece was getting poo poo on for being ill-equipped to host the Olympics. This is taking it to a whole other level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Geekkake posted:

It's incredible, and if by some chance you're just now crawling out the same rock I've been under for 10+ years, you need to give it a watch.

It's one of my favourite shows ever. It makes a huge dip in quality in Season 6. So much so that the creators and Kiefer Sutherland APOLOGIZED for the season. Something seldom seen- not even the creators of Dexter did that.

You really should have watched season 1 to the end-- or at least the last 4 episodes. Glad the premiere of Season 2 brought you back in. I still remember the waiting between episodes for the new twists/cliffhangers. Such fun television.

• Locked thread