Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

muscles like this? posted:

Frank Darabont is suing AMC saying that they haven't paid him a fair share of The Walking Dead's profits. The accusation is that AMC used some Hollywood bookkeeping to make it look like the show wasn't profitable. Also he's saying that the reason he left the show was AMC also trying to keep from paying him his share.

Hollywood accounting is shady as gently caress. New Line pulled the same thing so they wouldn't have to pay Peter Jackson his part of the profits for all 3 Lord of the Rings movies (They said that the movies didn't turn any profit). There's also that document that's gone around (I think it was on The Smoking Gun) that shows that once all the marketing and other costs are accounted for, one of the later Harry Potter movies made exactly $0.00 profit. I'm not sure how true it is that Darabont got booted for financial reasons, but I'm pretty sure it has more to do with Kirkman being defacto show runner. Still, if they genuinely let Darabont go with no reason then that's a lovely thing to do to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Psych does what it does well. It's utterly disposable but doesn't strive to me anything more. It's just a fun little show with some great chemistry between the leads and some comedic banter. It doesn't always land, and to be honest it's gone on a little too long now, but it's easy viewing.

In another news, finally made it onto Person of Interest Season 3. Man, Season 2 was pretty awesome. Again that's another show that knows what it wants to do and just does it. It knows where its strengths lie and they found a way to write around Jim Caveziel (I don't think he's in for some Anna Torv-esque turn around soon).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

zoux posted:

I've always hated Gladiator :smug:

Like 'The Matrix' is was a big victim of hype for me. I heard so many people tell me how GREAT it was that I came away underwhelmed. I appreciate parts of both movies but neither is as good was made out originally, particularly 'Gladiator' which, fight scenes aside, doesn't have all that much going for it.

Oooh and 'Arrow' talk. I'm not a big comic book person, but I like the show. Kate Cassidy is a real problem though. I can't help but feel how much better the show would've been (And more interesting) if she had died in the S1 finale. As it is she's utterly floundering in Season 2 and the show has no idea what to do with her.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 31, 2013

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't think the lack of black characters in GIRLS is any more of a problem than it is in any other show. It's a criticism you could level at some of the best shows of all time, yet people act like GIRLS is the first to do it. You force a black character in there and it becomes a token thing. I feel like IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY addressed it with their meta 'Emmy' episode when Dennis says "If we had just one black friend I feel like we'd talk about it all the time.". I don't find it out of the realm of possibilities that those characters wouldn't have a black friend, or latino, or asian. It just happens sometimes.

As for the nudity thing it was a lovely and offensive question. First of all by stating that nudity that's there to titilate is ok, and then asking Dunham specifically why she feels the need to get naked. No one asked the cast of TRUE BLOOD that question. Truth is I haven't seen a criticism of the nudity in girls that's not rooted in some form of misogyny because it immediately becomes "I'm not against someone getting naked, but I'm against this person I find unattractive getting naked.".

Anyway, in other news ENLISTED was great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Xandu posted:

I can't defend lovely writing or casting, but I suspect that there are all sorts of limits on what SHIELD is allowed to do so as not to interfere with the movies.

I think it's very clear that really Marvel want nothing to do with that show. I'm REALLY interested to see of anything from the show gets mentioned at all in the movies and I'm guessing it won't be. The show will exist, and reference things from the movies, but that's as far as it goes. I mean, they should in theory have all this Marvel back catalogue to go through, and instead they just make up sort of similar characters in lieu of using existing ones. Despite an episode or two of promise it's just a bad show. Honestly I'm not massive on Arrow but it does that whole thing better. The only thing SHIELD has going for it is Clark Gregg, who is good enough to elevate the material. And I think soon we'll be getting Cobie Smulders once HIMYM finishes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Man, I've been showing a friend HANNIBAL again and I really want to write something about that show. It's certainly layered, in the writing and the performing. But there's something about the way it actually treats death and violence. It's occasionally beautiful to look at but death is death, and it treats it with a gravitas that few other shows do. In CASTLE you feel like murder is part of the fun, on HANNIBAL it's just treated with a sigh.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Ridley Freaking Scott is Ridley Freaking Inconsistent. At this point he's had more painful misses in his career than good movies so I have no trouble believing that the pilot could be bad.

I think it's less that the pilot was bad and more just that the production was hosed. There were major behind the scenes issues so I just think that Showtime cut their losses. They'd have to find a new showrunner for a start and it's easy to see why they'd rather just not bother. I get the feeling the pilot was finished out of contractual obligation but it was probably never going to get picked up.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bown posted:

I totally forgot that Glee used to be good. They really dropped all the satirical elements (like all the cheerleaders being in the celibacy club) incredibly quickly.

GLEE was an odd beast in the first season. There were only 3 writers, and it was pulled from pillar to post as each writer did their own thing. I can't remember which one it was but one of them produced a show I wanted to see, which is a sadder show than what was usually making it to air. It acknowledged that for a lot of these kids (And for Will) Glee club would probably be the best thing they'd do. Then of course like anything Ryan Murphy touches it just goes off the rails.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I literally just remembered the narration that ran throughout Heroes. Also, there's been some crazy revisionist history going on recently with people claiming that the first season is 'good'. No. No it's not. 'Company Man' aside it's still bad and the only reason I can see for people being into it is because it races through plot pretty quick AND it's clearly building to something. After that it goes right off the rails.

Maybe if Tim Kring kept his original idea of Season 2 starting fresh with a new set of characters then it might've been something, but then this is Tim Kring...and he's terrible.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bown posted:

I don't think you know what "revisionist history" means. Heroes season 1 was very well-received when it aired, up until the finale, and people have been bringing it up as an example of "but this was good" ever since, whether or not you personally believe it deserves it (probably not).

Personally I find it so funny we all thought "save the cheerleader, save the world" was ever a good line.

Actually you're right, I used it wrong there. I watched Season 1 (And Season 2) but I was never under the impression that it was 'good' as such but I did appreciate the way it barrelled through those 22 episodes. That doesn't alter the fact that a lot of it was still bad though. It seems like people remember 'Company Man' and think the rest of the season matches it. The majority of the writing and performances are painful though. Then when they finally kill off Ali Larter they find a way to bring her back, multiple times. Really I think we can all agree that was the biggest crime it committed.

And for Real Talk: It's a largely so-so sitcom but MY WIFE AND KIDS actually has one of my favourite on-screen couples.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I really want someone to post that gif of Peter flying with the MSPaint face.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah, it's awesome because the tone is "Historical Fiction" but the subject is "Abraham Lincoln fighting vampires". Also that last fight scene was *the bomb*.

He said he was retiring from film, not from everything. I think his point was that he wanted to do more TV stuff.

Yeah Soderbergh just wanted to get away from film. He wanted to paint and work theatre etc. Basically he just wanted to work on things that took his fancy. I'm sure I read somewhere that he's writing a book too.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I've re-watched The West Wing a few times, but I always seem to forget about Mandy. I'll be watching the pilot and then bam, there she is, introduced with her lovely 90s generic rock music. Also, Elizabeth Moss is oddly really bad, which is a shame since I just finished watching her in Top of the Lake.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

precision posted:

It's really amazing how they managed to make the latest season really, really good (in comparison to past seasons) and then gently caress it up with just a few really idiotic turns.

Do we not have that spoiler thread anymore, I wouldn't mind knowing what happens (Stopped watching last season).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

GreenNight posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but it did get renewed for a second season.

A Robert Rodriguez show based on a Robert Rodriguez film got a renewal on the Robert Rodriguez network.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sleepy Hollow is so wonderfully audacious. But it also works because it has a great character dynamic at its center. Puts me in mind of the movie Time After Time.

I was not expecting to like Sleepy Hollow as much as I did. It fully commits to the premise and goes for broke almost right away. By the end of Season 1 I was genuinely impressed.

Ah. 24, what to make of you. I forgot how BAD the writing can be. It's strange because I think the stuff with the President and his condition are generally handled well, maybe it's because of William Devane, but holy poo poo they love telling you that Kate HAS SOMETHING TO PROVE. I think that gets said at least 3 times. There's so much telling instead of showing, it's like the first rule of writing.

Other than that I'm perplexed at the idea of getting Brits to play Americans and then Americans playing Brits or Australians playing Americans. Why is Michael Wincott English? Who knows.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Holy poo poo this bothered me too, in fact the entire way that scene played out unfortunately seemed less like Hannibal out smarting FBI agents and more like Hannibal out smarting a bunch of mentally challenged children.

What's this bullshit. One had the bullets removed (Which is quickly replaced AND fired before being blindsided), the other is facing a culmination of nearly two seasons worth of story where this weird, pseudo sexual game is finally playing out, and then gets gutted before he can react. It's not like Hannibal overpowers a SWAT team.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 25, 2014

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

In the Nazi Necromancer episode last season they murdered all the Nazis without hesitation because hey, Nazis may be fully human but they're worse monsters than actual monsters... and the audience identification character noted they were complete psychopaths.

One of the things that Supernatural did well during the Kirpke years, and something they did in that episode, is to never paint the brothers or people like them as regular folks. They're utterly broken and they know it. They were dealt a lovely hand but they just keep wading through it because they literally can't do anything else and even if they wanted to that life would pull them back in. It's an existential nightmare.

On a Supernatural note. I'm happy to note that the racist truck episode is not the worst one the show has done, that honour goes to 'LARP and the Real Girl' in which we see that sad return of Felicia Day. Spirits were high when it opened up with an awesome death scene (If there's one thing that Supernatural has done well, it's kill people) but man, I do not like Felicia Day. She can't act, she just appeals to nerds for some reason because she is one I guess. Her whole appearence is pandering with her flexible sexuality and geek ways. It honestly feels like the writing staff were absent and someone scrawled down their fantasies into a script. I think it's the first episode in a long time where 42 minutes felt so so long.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

raditts posted:

The cartoon logic episode was way worse than the LARP episode. Like it's not even a contest.

I don't know, I can forgive that one because it's so gleefully stupid. LARP was just utter pandering. Like "Hey guys, here's this geeky girl you love, and now she's making out with another hot girl. It's your fantasies comes to life.".

One of the other things is that the show is usually good about bringing back cast members, and often does it for a good reason. This just seemed shoehorned in there, and she wasn't even that good in her first appearences. I have nothing against Day, I've only seen her in Dr Horrible, it's just how she's used.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I'm actually quite surprised with 24 this Season. I was very down on the first two episodes, but once they've got poo poo going it's been working pretty well. One review highlighted something I thought worked in the last episode in that the conflict doesn't need to be an arbitrary roadblock just to pad out time. When someone has an objection they've by and large given solid reasons behind it. There's perhaps one or two moments of WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE YOU? but they've levelled those out now. It really benefits from streamlining and I hope that if they bring it back they don't get cocky and go back to 24 episodes again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Did we ever have a 30 for 30 thread? The Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding case was fascinating, mainly because it's not clear just how much Harding knew. And figure skaters largely seem to be dicks in general.

Personally I don't think she had a hand in the planning, but she certainly learned about it afterwards. She seems like someone who would've much rathered beat Kerrigan out on the Ice than have her get hobbled like that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

A great place to start is June 17, 1994, which is about the day OJ Simpson was supposed to turn himself in to the police and how it intersected with a million other sports stories on that day. It's a kinetic, bracing documentary about what amounted to America's biggest media snow day.

The Two Escobars is another hard hitter about the odd parallels between the lives of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar and soccer superstar Andres Escobar. There's also The U and one more, can't remember the name, about the Little League World Series.

That OJ one was another eye-opener. You forget so many things, like the fact that OJ wasn't actually driving the Bronco, and that he was actually on his way to kill himself.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I finally just finished Arrow and well done to those people. I think it's a great strength of that show that both season finales have done a great job of setup and payoff. You can still have a resolution to a story line while setting up new ones, it's a trick some shows need to learn.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The first episode of Sherlock Season 3 basically feels like a victory lap. There's a lot of "Come on guys, high five for that one", except it didn't seem to end. Moffat is as in love with 'smart' characters as Aaron Sorkin is. It's the idea of oh they're assholes, but aren't they brilliant?

I don't really want to start off a whole Elementary/Sherlock thing because it happens every once in a while but their approach to Holmes/Watson is very different, and in Elementary is much more human, and culpable for his actions. There are consequences to his dickery, whereas I think Sherlock just lets him off the hook a lot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bown posted:

Jesus, AV Club posted a gigantic spoiler for last night's Fargo in one of their most recent articles. And it's in one where even just seeing the title of the show within the article is a massive spoiler in itself.

Thank you for that, I usually check them out but I won't until I've seen it. I saw one on Grantland too that spoiled the most recent '24'. Like ok, talk about the episode, but don't state the drat spoiler in the headline of the article.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

I'm about six episodes into Deadwood, and I was wondering if anyone at FX has ever acknowledged that their network is essentially the Deadwood alumni association? The overlap is ridiculous.

Graham Yost has said that a lot of the time on Justified, Tim Olyphant will just get in one of his friends from Deadwood to play a role. I think it's been like 4 or 5 they've had on there now. Still no McShane though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Here's something to remember: Noah Hawley's last two shows were The Unusuals and My Generation, and he got his start on Bones. Let that sink in a moment.

Good. Now, I think "Buridan's rear end" may be one of the darkest episodes of television ever produced -- even within the context of the rest of the series -- and in a world where "Ozymandias" was merely the name of a king and the title of a poem it'd be the best of the year. If you are not watching this show you are blowing it.

He's also actually a pretty good novelist and I think that comes across when he's the sole writer. It feels like it's part of the same voice. You get the same thing with True Detective, it felt authoritive.

On that note I'm excited by the second seasons of both shows. Noah Hawley kind of gets it easier because the dark/funny tone is easier to maintain, Nic Polizitto (Who's name I've just mangled) has a harder time because his dialogue seemed so specific to those characters. I am interested to see where he goes with having three leads though. It's a shame that he can't get the same actors back just playing different roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

That's cool and he was great in TD but I wouldn't want him in another season as any more than a cameo. I really like the idea of using different actors every season and wouldn't want them to change that.

I guess it just means that down the line he's open to coming back. Keep it like American Horror Story where you have this group of actors playing different roles. I remember when True Detective started Alan Sepinwall was saying how he'd almost like to see a version of the show where Harrelson and McCoughnay reverse their roles, which I think would be really interesting to see. I'd like to see that pairing again because they work so well together.

• Locked thread